Interest Check-Space Opera

Started by miss Hysteria, May 25, 2009, 10:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miss Hysteria

Hi!  Checking peoples interesting in a possible Space Adventure Game.  I've got a quick sketch of my idea below, if you're interested or have questions please contact me.

-missH

HISTORY!
In the year 2578, Earth was abandoned.  The exact reason is lost, all we have is the date.  Using primitive and hasty space craft, the fleeing earthlings shot themselves off in all imaginable directions, hoping to find habitable planets.  Many elected for the safe route, using conventional technologies to travel to nearby stars, while others elected to throw their lot to chance and test out experimental new technologies that might give them a better chance of survival.  One of these ships, the Magdalene, was constructed for the purpose of testing theoretical wormhole technology.  When the ship had been outfitted and loaded with passengers, it set off to the stars on a wing and a prayer. 
Miraculously, the Magdalene arrived intact in the far reaches of what we would know as the Virgo Galaxy Cluster, approximately 59 million light years from Earth.  Unfortunately, the experimental technology had caused much unforeseen harm to the Magdalene’s equipment and none of the colonists ever learned where in the cosmos they had ended up.  Damaged and alone, the Magdalene drifted about the empty galaxy searching for habitable land.
The ship’s crew was awakened from chemical hibernation to find the ship in disarray, but with a habitable planet located.  They immediately set about terraforming New Earth.  Within ten years, the planet had a human colony.  Within fifty, the nearby star Miracle had a colonized planet as well.  Thousands of years passed and a human empire that spanned the stars had grown around New Sol.
The year is 4020 New Earth Calendar.  The Central Government in New Sol has just received troubling news.  Contact has just been made with a genuine alien life-form!  Though unpredictable physical phenomena and advanced genetics have given rise to many proto-human species, nothing like this has ever been seen before.  Fearing hysteria, the government elects to keep this situation secret until more has been learned.  A special unit of ambassadors is sent into alien space, never to be heard from again.  While the Government debates the meaning of this, a strange object falls to the surface of Verrapol, a small borderworld.  This is where out story begins.

GAME
   I hope to start the game soon.  It will be a mostly freeform adventure, possibly incorporating GURPS or simple die-type acts of fate as warranted.  I will present a starting story line, but players are encouraged make the adventure their own.  In the spirit of Space Opera, violence, exploration, and romance will be strong themes.

A BIT ABOUT THE GALAXY
   Magdalene, as the galaxy has been named, is comprised of 2,742 known colonized planets in approximately 1500 star systems.  The Galaxy is divided into three major self-governed regions (called States) that are all a part of a centralized macro-government.  The central government is large and deals only with a few key issues (taxation, military, and inter-region disputes) and is located in the New Sol system, which is not a part of either of the three States.

Serra
   The oldest of the three States, Serra bears the most resemblance to old-earth society.  Much of a Serran’s life is determined by personal and economic merit.  Their government is representative, delocalized, and often in flux.  Different regions of Serra will often have very different rules and customs.

New Avenguard
   A technological magnate, Avenguard is founded on the principles of logical government.  The State is ruled by a massive network of computer-beings, enhanced humans who function like machines.  Devoid of emotion or anything resembling humanity, their brains are used solely to mete out justice.

The Communate
   The Communate is rather new in comparison to the other States.  Its citizens exist in a pervasive caste system and live essentially without economics.  Of the three States, the Communate is the hardest to travel into or out of, as the livelihood of the whole state is distributed amongst every resident.

ECONOMY
   Due to the diversity of the extended human race, essentially every imaginable resource is valuable on at least one planet.  Water is valued on a wide variety of planets and is generally a safe bet for adventurous traders as is volpin gel, a biological fuel component grown on only a few systems.

TECHNOLOGY
   Technology varies widely between as well as within States.  Essentially, if you can imagine it, there’s a machine or ability that does it.  As far as weaponry, both energy and projectile weapons are popular, but the most advanced technologies are limited to the Central Military.  If you have specific questions, feel free to ask me.

CHARACTERS
   This world gives you a chance to be very creative with your character.  Millennia of genetic tailoring and unimaginable living conditions have directly or indirectly changed the face of humanity.  Though all modern ‘races’ are descended from humans, the described forces have changed many into distinct species.  When you create your character, you should also create their homeworld, describe how or why your people are as they are.

WHAT I’M LOOKING FOR
Approximately five players, possibly another to help me with administrative matters.

Myrleena

I'll just say I could be interested, and my GirlFiend moreso than I am. ^_^

PeacethatPowerbrings

I'm interested. Really, really, really...you get it.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

ShamshielDF

So completely, totally interested!  I has a character who has been waiting to play again.
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

zothab

miss Hysteria

Doktor Sleepless

Hmm... what do you think of a bodyguard for hire, former military? Anyone's character (preferably a noble female of sorts) needing one?