News:

Main Menu

Have you eaten eel?

Started by Cold Heritage, May 20, 2012, 02:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Heritage

If so, how was it prepared and what was it like?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Callie Del Noire

Unagi.. Eel Sushi roll. It's not as tasty (to me) as some other types.

gaggedLouise

Smoked eel is a local delicacy around here - in southern Sweden. An autumn dish, as they're fished in September and October. I've eaten it a few times, it's rather fat. I don't have anything against fat food as such (I don't seem to stock fat in my body to any obvious degree, burning it too fast...) but well, eel was never really a favourite.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

NotoriusBEN

I've had unagi sushi, and skewers. Its a 'little' earthy and its either cliche` or my tastebuds are off in that it tastes kinda like chicken

jaybee55

Sure.  While in Japan I had unagi sushi and sashimi as well as kabayaki/unadon(grilled/grilled on rice).  Not really my speed - the taste was ok, but the texture of the raw stuff was a little off-putting (just my opinion - I don't really like fatty raw things very much).  I also had smoked eel while in either Germany or Belgium, I can't remember exactly where any more.  And a long time ago a brit friend of mine tried to get me to try jellied eel... couldn't do it, looked too nasty.  Oh, and I once roasted an eel I caught while on a long hiking trip (Appalachian Trail).  Unfortunately I overcooked it and it was nearly inedible.

All in all, my favorite was the smoked eel.  Very much like smoked fish, but fishier than some (whitefish for example).
Ons and Offs (incomplete)

Saerrael

I'm not much into fish, but did enjoy smoked eel the few times I was able to get it.
I'm afraid I can't recall if I ever ate the sushi kind, sorry.

Aidonsious

I have eaten it in sushi and did not like it at all. I wish I was more adventurous with food but I am not....

Ramster

I've had it in sushi, smoked and jellied. My  favourite endagered species!
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

Koyume

I used to really enjoy unagi (and I never 'stopped' enjoying it, I just became a vegetarian).

curiouskitty

I've had it in a sushi roll; it wasn't my favorite but it was gross either.  I'm a big tuna fan myself :)
O/O's.
Requests
RP Status:Open

Kuroneko

Love eel.  I've had both unagi and anago, with unagi being my fave.  I've had it in sushi (rolls and nigiri) grilled on rice (unadon).  Now I can only eat it in Japan, where you can get it without soy sauce, as I'm allergic to gluten.  All the eel in sushi shops here in the US is premarinated in shoyu :(. 
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Will

I like eel quite a bit, although the first time I tried it was not pleasant and put me off of it for a long time.  Both times I had it, it was in a sushi roll.  I suppose the first time it just wasn't all that fresh or something, because it just tasted bad.  I thought for sure I would love it, since I'm pretty much obsessed with eating anything that swims, but I was wrong.

Thankfully I tried it again, very recently actually, at a much better establishment.  It has a very distinct flavor, which may not be for everyone.  And quite frankly, in my opinion, it's a little ugly.  But it is tasty.  It has a melt-in-your-mouth quality kind of like a very fatty piece of sashimi might.

So, I do enjoy it.  But in the realm of sea critters, it's far from my favorite.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Somnifera

The first time I can remember eating it is as Unadon in Hawaii. It is definitely one of my favorite foods, though here in the contiguous states I eat it in a roll more often than on rice. It tastes nothing like chicken, and yes, it is fatty.
I'm what was meant, not what was written. Right on the tip of the tongue and just out of focus.

~Ons,Offs, and some characters~
~Plots~
{Not interested in new RPs at this time}

Valentinian

Smoked eel is very common here... you could say it's the fish equivalent of bacon: salty, flavorful, fat, softly textured.

Unsmoked eel is a little boring to me and is only enjoyable if very fresh (as in: they cut it a few hours before serving) - raw eel has a tendency to lose flavor very fast and even adopt other flavors if left in a fridge too long.

Oniya

Quote from: Cold Heritage on May 20, 2012, 02:03:04 AM
If so, how was it prepared and what was it like?

My father's father used to catch and fry eel (breaded, not battered).  I was young at the time, so it tasted pretty much like fried fish to me - it was just a lot rounder.  I remember my mother couldn't stand it, but I'm also convinced that she was reacting to the pre-cooked existence, the way some people look at you strange if you suggest eating snake or gator.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Will

Alligator is so delicious.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Crackicus

Tried sushi with grilled eel. Loved it. :D

Mathim

If a place has unagi rolls, I order it, I don't care what else I'm getting, that's going to be part of my meal there. The sauce is tasty and complements the flavor of the meat.

But my hands-down fave dish is Unagi Donburi, a fat slab of grilled eel over a bento box of rice. Fricking to die for, my friends. Smush that sea snake up into the rice bed, a little soy sauce and/or teriyaki splashed in there and you're on your way to a foodgasm.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

YoshiFumi07

I've already eaten smoked eel.  :D
It's kinda rare to see eel vendors around the city in here, but smoked eel really tasted nice.  ::)