News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Nerd or Geek?

Started by VioletPanda, January 18, 2015, 10:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VioletPanda

Guys I don't know if I should be classified as a Nerd or a Geek... Help?

I like:
       Doctor Who
       Star Wars
       Star Trek
       Time Travel
       Android phones
       Education/Learning
       History
       Science
       Foreign Languages (Japanese, French, and trying to teach myself German and Italian
       Fantasy books, games, ect
       D&D- playing, never DMed before though
       I helped found a LARP group and was in it for about 2 years until politics turned it into a bunch of stick jocks and mean people
       Have attended the local Ren Faire when money/time permits
       Anime with or without subtitles
       I was lucky enough to go to Japan for a Summer (LOVED the food)

While I find technology interesting, I don't do anything like programming, but I love trying out all the awesome apps that are out there and have put thoughts into reviews if I'm ever brave enough.
     I am aware that I am not the most outgoing person, but I wouldn't go so far as to call myself inept.
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

RubySlippers

NERD!  ;D

I would go by Revenge of the Nerds they had tech people but also non-tech people who are more classified to me as a Geek, but most Nerds have Geek tendencies, but if this was King of Nerds most of us here would fit the label.

Beorning

Quote from: LukaWolf on January 18, 2015, 10:18:07 PM
   Guys I don't know if I should be classified as a Nerd or a Geek... Help?

You're neither... You're just an intelligent, imaginative individual  :-)

Rejest the nerd / geek label, people!  ;D

Zekromnomnom

Normally I would disagree with Beorning. It took me years of not knowing who or what I was and a lot of teasing before I finally accepted that I was a nerd (I go with nerd because I like the sound of it better). And now I'm actually proud of those parts of me most of the time.

But lately, as things have changed and "geek chic" has become a thing and it's all more mainstream, I'm finding the sub culture a little less desirable. Especially when the friends of mine that weren't as "nerdy" who always used to give me shit about it are now trying to get in on. But they half ass it and think of themselves as some kind of "cool nerd" and it makes me think if those people are nerds, I don't want to call myself that anymore.

Jag

As I get older and start exploring things more and more...I've decided that very few people fit any kind of label. All we can get is 'close enough', at least most of the time. It's like fitting a 12inch pipe into a 11.8inch box. Sure, you can probably cram it in there, but it's not going to be a good fit.

I am Jager. Nothing else beyond that and no one else can fit into it. It's my box.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

Geek tends to imply a bit more technical knowledge, but the two are really close.  One thing I've often done is use either one with a modifier, depending on what topic is appropriate.  For example, Blythe's topic on AD&D 2e has allowed me to spend a little time as a D&D geek.  Myobi's Minecraft topic allows me to be a Minecraft geek.  However, while I do some YouTubing, I wouldn't class myself as a YouTube geek - yet.  Maybe approaching YouTube nerd.  ^^
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Greenwoodtree

I'm with Beorning.

Stereotypes are just too convenient of a way to pigeonhole people. Trendy or not...it seems it's easier to label someone  than to appreciate the beauty of differences.
"Sometimes your nearness takes my breath away; and all the things I want to say can find no voice.  Then, in silence, I can only hope my eyes will speak my heart."

Let's only say what our Hearts desire.
~Rumi

My Requests:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=243061.0
My Apologies: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=224775.0
My Preferences:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=56044

Crimsonbella

Quote from: HollyLouiseDantes on January 31, 2015, 05:43:17 AM
I'm with Beorning.

Stereotypes are just too convenient of a way to pigeonhole people. Trendy or not...it seems it's easier to label someone  than to appreciate the beauty of differences.

+1

You shouldn't have to label yourself with a title that has long since held some sort of negative connotation simply because you enjoy something. I hate calling myself a "girl gamer" just because I'm a woman that plays video games. Why should my gender have any influence on what I should like or dislike? I personally feel branding people as a geek or nerd is archaic and pointless.

Look at Doctor Who. It's blown up and become maintstream (I hate using that term but we'll go with it). Yet I'm willing to bet most of the younger generation probably haven't or won't watch anything prior to Eccleston because that stuff is more "nerdy" than what we have now.

I say just call yourself an individual who enjoys various things. No labels required.
O/o Thread Slightly outdated.

Beorning

Also, the geek / nerd labels aren't really sufficient, as they don't describe people they are directed at accurately...

For instance, I have tons of interests that are classified as geeky / nerdy: sci-fi, comic books, RPGs, computer games... At the same time, I'm definitely not a geek, as I'm not that interested in technology. Similarly, the nerd label seems to involve people that (AFAIK) are on the brainy, hard science side of thing. Meanwhile, I'm definitely not a science kind of person... if anything, I'm artistic / creative person. So, what's the point of labeling myself a nerd / geek?

Zekromnomnom

I mean I guess that makes sense for the most part. But for me growing up being into the things I'm into always had people looking down on me and now that I finally kind of accept myself, I've always really wanted to be in a situation where someone gives me shit about it and I can reply with something like "Yeah, I'm a nerd, fuck you!"

I dunno, I guess it just rolls of the tongue a little better for me, I think. Also, I have a LOT of pent up anger about that kind of thing.