Heirs to Creation - Exalted 3e Recruitment and Pre-Game Discussion [CLOSED]

Started by Winter King, October 30, 2015, 09:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Quote from: Winter King on October 31, 2015, 07:30:17 AM
I do like this concept. I like this concept a great deal. Which rebellion were you thinking of? The more recent, I imagine, but I'd love to be clear on this. Um, anyways, Akhetan is based in no small amount upon Mecca prior to the rise of Islam, so without a family/tribe, he'd be quite the outcast - as well as regularly being cheated by merchants, attacked by thieves, etc. People without families to back them up in Akhetan tend to get dumped in the river because it's just that sort of place nowadays. Why didn't he end up there? Where would he come from? Why would he have four arms? How did he earn his (theoretical) retainer's loyalty?

I'm thinking I may drop the retainer, and just take Flametongue as an extra language for now. He's just extremely starved for bonus points, and isn't exactly combat-tuned (Dex 1). I do have 2 bp left but I'm not sure if I want to put them into a retainer yet.

And the Daughter's Rebellion, yes.

His mother was Haslanti, but after his birth she was exiled, along with him. The rumored father protected her from immediate violence, but no one would speak with or host her. She made her way South, staying a few months in various places, at least until her son's nature came to light. Then it became very difficult to do any sort of trade, and so she moved on, frequently surviving on her own.

She never spoke of his father, and indeed for a long time he thought nothing of it. She only ever called him 'Son', and needing to isolate him left him with no small ignorance of social situations, including the very concept of names. He only knows his mother's name by happenstance, but if you asked it of him, he would be somewhat confused.

As he grew older, his mother went to greater lengths to isolate him - and it caused that much more ruckus when he was inevitably exposed. His chisel-perfect figure drew almost as much attention as his stature and limbs did. The obvious implications gave them a measure of protection from violence - at least from masses. Crazed lunatics would occasionally plot solitary ambushes, which he or his mother were capable of dealing with. Occasional would-be paramours came into his life, but these were associations born of pure lust; his personality being nowhere near as refined as his physique.

Rarely able to properly interact with people, he interacted with wood and stone instead. Sometimes metal. His mother had an easy time selling his sculptures, and the boy was able to make relatively quick shelters for the both of them.

Once they reached Harborhead, the mother and her Son had it a great deal easier. The near-open worship of the Unconquered Sun made it easier for him to move about peripherally, at least. Getting revealed attracted attention of other unhealthy sorts - and his mother's silence about his father became distressing.

Still in Harborhead, the mother and her Son met a dynast and his porter-servant at a crossroads. The Dynast looked with suspicion at the heavy cloak the Son - now a man of enormous proportions - was wearing, and as they crossed, tore it free.

The porter - who like most natives bore rather more reverence to the Unconquered Sun than the Immaculate Philosophy considers sound - spoke what were to be his final words. Referencing the being who he thought to be the boy's father.

The dynast slew the porter for his heresy, and turned on mother and Son. He made the mistake of swinging for the boy first - the woman interrupted him, managing a relatively serious wound. Enraged, the dynast revealed his anima, wreathing himself in flames and decapitating her immediately after.

And then the Son was Chosen.

Already wounded, the fire aspect did not last long against the full force of the Son's rage.

The porter and his mother, he buried at the crossroads. The dynast, he left for the vultures.

His mother, avenged and cared for, took her secret into Lethe.

The man knew he could not remain in Harborhead - though the people he met were practically reverent, he was not prepared for a life of that sort. And even less prepared for the consequences.

He sought, instead, a place where the mortals would be somewhat hostile to him. Where he would be forced to earn their trust over their fear, their respect over their hatred.

Where does your character come from? While technically from the Haslanti, he spent most of his youth crossing the River Province.

What direction do they originate in, and how does that shape who they are today? His itinerancy has exposed him to a great variety of cultures, but his status as a perpetual outcast left him with rather little depth of understanding in any of them. The one place where he was truly 'welcome' was deathly dangerous.

What was your character's family like? He knows of only his mother, and that he has no siblings. She would never speak of his father, even if asked, always finding clever means by which to dodge the question - or simply refusing to.

He may have left a few sons of his own behind from various one-night stands, but if so he's not aware of any of them.

Do they have good relationships with any of them? Are any of them even remotely in the local area, or are they all fairly distant? She was the only person he knew he could trust. Everyone else he met would either leave or turn on him.

How does your character feel about the Realm? Their presence in the Threshold? He is trying not to let his mother's death crystallize into hatred for a people - however oppressive. He focuses his ire instead on the Immaculate Philosophy itself.

How does your character regard the gods? Rather little, in terms of attention paid. He holds some natural reverence for the Unconquered Sun, and since being Chosen has taken to referring to him as Father out of habit.

Has your character had any lovers or friends that they have lost? His love life was a revolving door of women who were infatuated at first sight with an eight-foot-plus giant. This rarely lasted beyond a single night of copulation. There may be a few women who actually were in love, but he was too emotionally distant to properly react to such attentions, and would eventually be forced to move on before he could properly develop such skills.

Why didn't he end up in the river? Probably because most mortals that would actively attack him are a bit wrong in the head, acting on their own or in small groups. While he's far from a combat monster (Dex 1), he's still supremely skilled with his hammers.

Why would he have four arms? Purely out of character, I see it as the sort of thing that gets echoed about the character - him being the Son of the Sun. The Unconquered Sun would never confirm it, however, and if it were true, expects his Son to be able to achieve great things in his own right, without the affirmation that such a confirmation would bring. Since he doesn't know, he's not going to claim it, either. Habits like answering to 'Son' won't help, though.

Winter King

... Ooh. I'm going to have fun with this one. :D

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 04:54:27 PM
I'm thinking I may drop the retainer, and just take Flametongue as an extra language for now. He's just extremely starved for bonus points, and isn't exactly combat-tuned (Dex 1). I do have 2 bp left but I'm not sure if I want to put them into a retainer yet.

And the Daughter's Rebellion, yes.
Sounds reasonable. It could be that he doesn't speak the local dialect of Flametongue very well, if you want to keep that sort of thing for him.

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 04:54:27 PMHis mother was Haslanti, but after his birth she was exiled, along with him. The rumored father protected her from immediate violence, but no one would speak with or host her. She made her way South, staying a few months in various places, at least until her son's nature came to light. Then it became very difficult to do any sort of trade, and so she moved on, frequently surviving on her own.

She never spoke of his father, and indeed for a long time he thought nothing of it. She only ever called him 'Son', and needing to isolate him left him with no small ignorance of social situations, including the very concept of names. He only knows his mother's name by happenstance, but if you asked it of him, he would be somewhat confused.

As he grew older, his mother went to greater lengths to isolate him - and it caused that much more ruckus when he was inevitably exposed. His chisel-perfect figure drew almost as much attention as his stature and limbs did. The obvious implications gave them a measure of protection from violence - at least from masses. Crazed lunatics would occasionally plot solitary ambushes, which he or his mother were capable of dealing with. Occasional would-be paramours came into his life, but these were associations born of pure lust; his personality being nowhere near as refined as his physique.

Rarely able to properly interact with people, he interacted with wood and stone instead. Sometimes metal. His mother had an easy time selling his sculptures, and the boy was able to make relatively quick shelters for the both of them.

Once they reached Harborhead, the mother and her Son had it a great deal easier. The near-open worship of the Unconquered Sun made it easier for him to move about peripherally, at least. Getting revealed attracted attention of other unhealthy sorts - and his mother's silence about his father became distressing.

Hm, does Harborhead still worship the Sun? I'm not certain of that one - I know that the Dynasty allows for a certain measure of worship of Ahlat there, because Ahlat's too powerful and too active for the Bronzes to prevent him from having his own cult in a land that is essentially his, but I've not heard of the Sun being worshipped there. I mean, I don't know you feel it's necessary for his character to have been through the Harborhead area with worship of the Sun, but it's something that comes as news to me.

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 04:54:27 PMStill in Harborhead, the mother and her Son met a dynast and his porter-servant at a crossroads. The Dynast looked with suspicion at the heavy cloak the Son - now a man of enormous proportions - was wearing, and as they crossed, tore it free.

The porter - who like most natives bore rather more reverence to the Unconquered Sun than the Immaculate Philosophy considers sound - spoke what were to be his final words. Referencing the being who he thought to be the boy's father.

The dynast slew the porter for his heresy, and turned on mother and Son. He made the mistake of swinging for the boy first - the woman interrupted him, managing a relatively serious wound. Enraged, the dynast revealed his anima, wreathing himself in flames and decapitating her immediately after.

And then the Son was Chosen.

Already wounded, the fire aspect did not last long against the full force of the Son's rage.

The porter and his mother, he buried at the crossroads. The dynast, he left for the vultures.

His mother, avenged and cared for, took her secret into Lethe.

The man knew he could not remain in Harborhead - though the people he met were practically reverent, he was not prepared for a life of that sort. And even less prepared for the consequences.

He sought, instead, a place where the mortals would be somewhat hostile to him. Where he would be forced to earn their trust over their fear, their respect over their hatred.
Yeah, this part highlights what I feel would be problematic with having Harborhead be aware of the Unconquered Sun beyond a vague sort of "we don't want to piss that deity off" sense. I feel like it somewhat cheapens the setting when there is a place where Solars are revered rather than feared by the local populace, especially one as close to the Realm as Harborhead (physically). It just feels like it undermines how effective and terrifying an overlord both the Realm and the Immaculate Order are. Again, I'm not saying the character is invalid, just highlighting some concerns I have on my first read-through.

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 04:54:27 PMWhere does your character come from? While technically from the Haslanti, he spent most of his youth crossing the River Province.

What direction do they originate in, and how does that shape who they are today? His itinerancy has exposed him to a great variety of cultures, but his status as a perpetual outcast left him with rather little depth of understanding in any of them. The one place where he was truly 'welcome' was deathly dangerous.

What was your character's family like? He knows of only his mother, and that he has no siblings. She would never speak of his father, even if asked, always finding clever means by which to dodge the question - or simply refusing to.

He may have left a few sons of his own behind from various one-night stands, but if so he's not aware of any of them.
Vekseid... you gave me a Mysterious Parent... Do you know how happy this makes me?  >:) It does occur to me, though, that the implications of him thinking he's possibly the Son of the Sun is... hm. I mean, it's the logical conclusion to make, I guess, but it feels almost the far side of too snowflake-y for me. Not quite, but I do feel mildly uncomfortable with it. That said, it's not enough to ruin the concept for me, and this is Exalted.

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 04:54:27 PMDo they have good relationships with any of them? Are any of them even remotely in the local area, or are they all fairly distant? She was the only person he knew he could trust. Everyone else he met would either leave or turn on him.

How does your character feel about the Realm? Their presence in the Threshold? He is trying not to let his mother's death crystallize into hatred for a people - however oppressive. He focuses his ire instead on the Immaculate Philosophy itself.
The dramas! They're real. I feel like having some who hate it and some who think it's great brings out an interesting contrast...

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 04:54:27 PMHow does your character regard the gods? Rather little, in terms of attention paid. He holds some natural reverence for the Unconquered Sun, and since being Chosen has taken to referring to him as Father out of habit.

Has your character had any lovers or friends that they have lost? His love life was a revolving door of women who were infatuated at first sight with an eight-foot-plus giant. This rarely lasted beyond a single night of copulation. There may be a few women who actually were in love, but he was too emotionally distant to properly react to such attentions, and would eventually be forced to move on before he could properly develop such skills.
See, this is interesting to me. I rarely see Chosen who might be considered to be on the autism spectrum - which may or may not have been what you were going for, but it seems like it could be a possibility. Very limited social skills... etc. I'm not a psychologist, and am only speaking from my own experience, so I may be misunderstanding what I'm saying, but he does seem a lot like what I understand it to be.

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 04:54:27 PMWhy didn't he end up in the river? Probably because most mortals that would actively attack him are a bit wrong in the head, acting on their own or in small groups. While he's far from a combat monster (Dex 1), he's still supremely skilled with his hammers.
*Bonk*

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 04:54:27 PMWhy would he have four arms? Purely out of character, I see it as the sort of thing that gets echoed about the character - him being the Son of the Sun. The Unconquered Sun would never confirm it, however, and if it were true, expects his Son to be able to achieve great things in his own right, without the affirmation that such a confirmation would bring. Since he doesn't know, he's not going to claim it, either. Habits like answering to 'Son' won't help, though.
Ah, and here we get to that point I made above. I mean, I understand completely what you're going for, and a part of me likes it. Another part of me finds the idea of representing the Unconquered Sun as such a being that could fall in love with a mortal in such a way that sex as mortals and Chosen understand it is even possible kind of... off. The Sun is the greatest deity. He, along with the rest of the Incarnae, is so immensely powerful that non-Incarnae cannot even begin to comprehend his full being. Thus, where other gods might have a hundred children and but one Chosen, if any, he has his Chosen, who are his children, who are him, and who are also completely separate from him. I am not saying no... but I'd like to hear the other players' thoughts on this, because it's something I am not certain I feel jives with my understanding of the Unconquered Sun.
Current Status: Busy-ish, but back. I'll try to check in more often nowadays.

Check out my world!

RSGAlex

If he was justifying himself to the speaker (so theoretically somebody from back home that knew him), he'd claim that he was seeking a place that he couldn't get at home. If he's justifing to himself or somebody he sees as an equal (gods, other exalted), then he's merely seeking a challenge that he couldn't get, wouldn't want, back home. The truth is probably closer to him not wanting or being able to wage the kind of war that would be needed to get the kind of leadership role that he wanted back home, and so he went somewhere else.

Dun-lat was a combination of a situation he wanted (admittedly learned of basically third hand) where he could try and set up something different from the gambling and 'appropriations' he did back home, with the potential to become even bigger. His caste was influential in that between his knowledge and upbringing (and sneaking a perfectly legal peak, at hard to find copy of an Immaculate speech that should have had to be a thousand years old for all the effort it took to find the thing) lead to him setting up some 'partners' and 'equals' in his little operation back home. Here, it's more likely that the partners and equals will be less sarcastic.

An aside
Some of the stuff was vague because I didn't think it'd be super relevant. Like how there's a progression of caste/status in going from [Thing] to [Thing] Path to [Thing] Way, and how some of those [Things] change between Path and Way, and now the families of some of the long standing leaders are [Two Word Thing] Way that relates to the leader's [Something] Art last name/title. Or a lot of identities of people that got mentions. The exact nature of his illegal power back home.

Tarno would claim to be driven by some kind of dissatisfaction at the state of the world, which was probably a good bit closer to true back home. Here, it's a mix of desire and ego, wanting to see just how far he can build his power, and what he could lay hands on. In fact, he's likely to go and take some things not because he wants them or has use for them, but to see if he can. It may not be inaccurate to say that he's a monster of hunger.

I hope I didn't misinterpret the questions.
Signature Recreation Pending....

Downloading Drivers 1 of @*.

Please wait warmly.

Winter King

Quote from: RSGAlex on October 31, 2015, 05:40:57 PM
If he was justifying himself to the speaker (so theoretically somebody from back home that knew him), he'd claim that he was seeking a place that he couldn't get at home. If he's justifing to himself or somebody he sees as an equal (gods, other exalted), then he's merely seeking a challenge that he couldn't get, wouldn't want, back home. The truth is probably closer to him not wanting or being able to wage the kind of war that would be needed to get the kind of leadership role that he wanted back home, and so he went somewhere else.

Dun-lat was a combination of a situation he wanted (admittedly learned of basically third hand) where he could try and set up something different from the gambling and 'appropriations' he did back home, with the potential to become even bigger. His caste was influential in that between his knowledge and upbringing (and sneaking a perfectly legal peak, at hard to find copy of an Immaculate speech that should have had to be a thousand years old for all the effort it took to find the thing) lead to him setting up some 'partners' and 'equals' in his little operation back home. Here, it's more likely that the partners and equals will be less sarcastic.

An aside
Some of the stuff was vague because I didn't think it'd be super relevant. Like how there's a progression of caste/status in going from [Thing] to [Thing] Path to [Thing] Way, and how some of those [Things] change between Path and Way, and now the families of some of the long standing leaders are [Two Word Thing] Way that relates to the leader's [Something] Art last name/title. Or a lot of identities of people that got mentions. The exact nature of his illegal power back home.

Tarno would claim to be driven by some kind of dissatisfaction at the state of the world, which was probably a good bit closer to true back home. Here, it's a mix of desire and ego, wanting to see just how far he can build his power, and what he could lay hands on. In fact, he's likely to go and take some things not because he wants them or has use for them, but to see if he can. It may not be inaccurate to say that he's a monster of hunger.

I hope I didn't misinterpret the questions.
You didn't misinterpret the questions, no! I just felt like I wasn't getting a concrete sense of who Tarno is in the way I was from other characters that have been pitched. I just got a very vague sense of "sorcery-martial arts-illegal something" in my head, which is probably mostly a result of my own difficulties in grasping implications than anything you wrote/didn't write. I have a better sense of who he is now.

It's sort of my philosophy as a ST/GM to try to get as firm a sense as I can of where the PCs have been so that where they are and where they will go will make more sense to me when I think of them. ... I see what you did there... The idea of an ever-hungry being is intriguing to me, though it may be that he simply does not know what he is seeking.

Check out my world!

RSGAlex

Oh, good. It was actually just the one about caste/path that tripped me up a little and I thought I might have misinterpreted. I'm glad I didn't though.

Please wait warmly.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Winter King on October 31, 2015, 12:02:45 PM
It's one reason why I'd like to include you, man. :D I think that it's a pretty big thing I like doing in my games.
Well, good thing we get converging tastes, then! (It's pretty much required for a game on E., too :P).

QuoteAn excellent point. I am inclined to say that I probably won't pick more than 5 players, because three was my last experience, but PbP should be more merciful than the chat thing I did for the other game I've run. I mean, I don't know how much the power level has to do with my own difficulty running games, but rather my own desire to bring out the characters backstories and explore things that matter to them in depth.
Well, only you can tell. That was just my best advice.
Power level has something to do with the ability to put under question things that matter to us, too.

QuoteWith that in mind, I may focus on one or two characters at a time in a given story/scene, if the rest of the players are okay with that. (I made it bold 'cause it's important.)
Fine with me. Bold for the same reason.

QuoteOh, absolutely. I was just expressing concern over the mild over focus - I don't want people feeling like they can't shine in X category because Y other character does X just as well/better than they do. It may be a mistaken concern, but there ya go.
Then I've misunderstood you. Ignore what I said on that account.
And I'm just going to ask the other PCs for a favour if I need criminal contacts and don't have any.
Noted. :D
Oh noes, I've been noted! Wait, I'm not playing a Night... ;D

QuoteMe too.
And here I'm trying to match your achievement >:).

Quote from: Winter King on October 31, 2015, 03:39:16 PM
It occurred to me that, now that I am being more coherent with my thoughts, I should pry out some more construction from you.
Always ready to tell you about my character, I am... 8-)

QuoteHm, does your Dawn appreciate the Immaculate Cult or the Immaculate faith?
The former is the more widespread group who see the Scarlet Empress as the idealized being of Immaculate Enlightenment and are led by the Mouth of Peace on the Blessed Isle, while the latter is focussed more on the Scavenger Lands and has much less power because it's center is in Lookshy - it also doesn't support the Realm in any way, instead claiming that all people can emulate the Dragons in this life. I would think the latter, but I want to confirm.
Both of them, actually.
He was supporting the Immaculate Faith back in his old city, because the gods getting into the affairs of mortals is a thing in Nexus. And he doesn't like that, at all.
He sees his action of opposing a god as the embodiment of the Immaculate Cult. But since he also spoke with the Unconqueres Sun, he has little reason to doubt that those teachings are wrong.
He still thinks their other teachings are good, though. (Well, except for those about eating meat, and abstaining from sex; those are also mistaken, most likely).
Either way, he wouldn't want to cast down the order that the Immaculates are bringing. They are helping the mortals, thus to do so would be the height of egoism! And he believes that the individual is less important than the group. (Don't ask me why. I just know he believes that, but he believes it with no reason that he can discern, himself. I'll tell you more when he learns it, likely during the game).
...something just struck me. Maybe I should change his origin to Chiaroscuro? The dog-eats-dog nature of Nexus doesn't really fit the concept, but I just needed a big trade city for his Defining Principle, and for interaction with local gods. Chiaroscuro and Wu Jian both fit this bill, though, and a family with a God-Blooded is quite likely in either. Moreover, at least Chiaroscuro makes the latter view more likely...I need to read about Wu Jian.
You don't mind me changing that part on this stage, do you :)?

QuoteHow does he feel about his new status as Anathema, if he feels positively towards the Immaculate faith?
He does feel positive, but he places his faith in Sol Invictus' words ;). That, or he should suicide.
He prefers to believe Sol Invictus, because he knows he's not a sorcerer.

QuoteDoes it bother him, that he's supposedly possessed by the long-dead ghost of a sorcerer who made pacts with the Yozis to steal the power of the Sun?
Oh Malfeas, yes! He's looking for enlightenment in order to be able to judge most impartially on that account...and of course, he's doing that through the only way he knows. By learning martial arts!
It just so happens that this is a land of Immaculate monks, which all know at least some things about martial arts... and he has had a dream that makes him think that the answer might be there.
Your call whether he misinterpreted his subconscious, was influenced by Mara, a Sidereal, or even a Lunar Sorcerer. No need to tell me, either.

QuoteOr does he feel that the Immaculate faith is... mistaken?
Sure, he's convinced they are.
He hopes.

On bad days, he's not so sure.

And your call, but I need to ask. Has he even heard about the Cult of the Illuminated?

On Vekseid's character's origins, I have no opinion.
It wouldn't bother me if he was a god-blooded of the Sun. I don't see Sol Invictus as pure and immaculate. Hell, we know he's doing Luna, why not other people, too?
Besides, a major feature of the setting is that power corrupts. And who's got the most power of all creatures?
Exactly. If a fling with a mortal was the worst stain on Sol's conscience - and I don't even see anything wrong with that - he'd be heads and shoulders above many of his own Chosen.

And Veks, with Dex 1 and four hands, you should totally take Terrestrial Sorcery, with Invulnerable Skin Of Bronze for your Control Spell!
I mean, big, four-handed, bronze-skinned... did anyone say Goro ;D?
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Winter King

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 06:34:45 PM
Well, good thing we get converging tastes, then! (It's pretty much required for a game on E., too :P).
:P

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 06:34:45 PMWell, only you can tell. That was just my best advice.
Power level has something to do with the ability to put under question things that matter to us, too.
That is an excellent point. I'll stand by my five though, and if I am in danger of crashing and burning, I'll let you guys know and try to figure out what exactly is causing me distress.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 06:34:45 PMFine with me. Bold for the same reason.
Then I've misunderstood you. Ignore what I said on that account.
I shall. :P

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 06:34:45 PMAnd I'm just going to ask the other PCs for a favour if I need criminal contacts and don't have any. Oh noes, I've been noted! Wait, I'm not playing a Night... ;D
Hee hee hee. I mean, erm. Ignore any malevolent giggling you think you hear.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 06:34:45 PMAnd here I'm trying to match your achievement >:).
Impossible!

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 06:34:45 PMAlways ready to tell you about my character, I am... 8-)
Both of them, actually.
He was supporting the Immaculate Faith back in his old city, because the gods getting into the affairs of mortals is a thing in Nexus. And he doesn't like that, at all.
He sees his action of opposing a god as the embodiment of the Immaculate Cult. But since he also spoke with the Unconqueres Sun, he has little reason to doubt that those teachings are wrong.
Did he actually speak to the Sun? I thought that only Zenith do that in 3e now. It could enhance his turmoil if he didn't have that... :P

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 06:34:45 PMHe still thinks their other teachings are good, though. (Well, except for those about eating meat, and abstaining from sex; those are also mistaken, most likely).
Either way, he wouldn't want to cast down the order that the Immaculates are bringing. They are helping the mortals, thus to do so would be the height of egoism! And he believes that the individual is less important than the group. (Don't ask me why. I just know he believes that, but he believes it with no reason that he can discern, himself. I'll tell you more when he learns it, likely during the game).
Ooh. I like this.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 06:34:45 PM...something just struck me. Maybe I should change his origin to Chiaroscuro? The dog-eats-dog nature of Nexus doesn't really fit the concept, but I just needed a big trade city for his Defining Principle, and for interaction with local gods. Chiaroscuro and Wu Jian both fit this bill, though, and a family with a God-Blooded is quite likely in either. Moreover, at least Chiaroscuro makes the latter view more likely...I need to read about Wu Jian.
You don't mind me changing that part on this stage, do you :)?
Dude, we're still at least a little less than a week out, probably more than that. I like the idea of a Delzhan here... and you could probably look into the far riding tradition, if you wanted to (like Prince Diamond, I mean).

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 06:34:45 PMHe does feel positive, but he places his faith in Sol Invictus' words ;). That, or he should suicide.
He prefers to believe Sol Invictus, because he knows he's not a sorcerer.
See above concerns about hearing from the Sun, but I get you.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 06:34:45 PMOh Malfeas, yes! He's looking for enlightenment in order to be able to judge most impartially on that account...and of course, he's doing that through the only way he knows. By learning martial arts!
It just so happens that this is a land of Immaculate monks, which all know at least some things about martial arts... and he has had a dream that makes him think that the answer might be there.
Your call whether he misinterpreted his subconscious, was influenced by Mara, a Sidereal, or even a Lunar Sorcerer. No need to tell me, either.
Oooh.... You're too kind, you know that? I am going to enjoy this.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 06:34:45 PMSure, he's convinced they are.
He hopes.

On bad days, he's not so sure.
Mwahaha- I mean, er... excellent.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 06:34:45 PMAnd your call, but I need to ask. Has he even heard about the Cult of the Illuminated?
Hm... I think that they probably have a presence in certain areas - I mean, it's likely that there are rumors of blasphemous Anathema-cults intermixed with rumors of the Illuminated.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 06:34:45 PM
On Vekseid's character's origins, I have no opinion.
It wouldn't bother me if he was a god-blooded of the Sun. I don't see Sol Invictus as pure and immaculate. Hell, we know he's doing Luna, why not other people, too?
Besides, a major feature of the setting is that power corrupts. And who's got the most power of all creatures?
Exactly. If a fling with a mortal was the worst stain on Sol's conscience - and I don't even see anything wrong with that - he'd be heads and shoulders above many of his own Chosen.
Hm, it's not exactly a moral thing from my perspective, but a... spiritual, metaphysical difference. He's head and shoulders above gods who do things like mortals do, such that he continued Chosing even when his face was turned from Creation. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I'll get into more detail when I have time, because right now I'm late for a Halloween thing.

Check out my world!

Vekseid

Quote from: Winter King on October 31, 2015, 05:33:31 PM
... Ooh. I'm going to have fun with this one. :D
Sounds reasonable. It could be that he doesn't speak the local dialect of Flametongue very well, if you want to keep that sort of thing for him.

Hm, does Harborhead still worship the Sun? I'm not certain of that one - I know that the Dynasty allows for a certain measure of worship of Ahlat there, because Ahlat's too powerful and too active for the Bronzes to prevent him from having his own cult in a land that is essentially his, but I've not heard of the Sun being worshipped there. I mean, I don't know you feel it's necessary for his character to have been through the Harborhead area with worship of the Sun, but it's something that comes as news to me.

It's just the more obvious path. Having him cross from the jungle also works, but knowing nothing of Ember makes me leary of writing much.

And all of Creation worships the Sun - the Immaculates presumably have a minor note for him in the calendar every Sunday. It's mentioned though, that with the near-open worship of Ahlat excessive reverence for the Sun follows. Occasionally they catch people with figurines of him and have to ensure a proper reeducation.

QuoteYeah, this part highlights what I feel would be problematic with having Harborhead be aware of the Unconquered Sun beyond a vague sort of "we don't want to piss that deity off" sense. I feel like it somewhat cheapens the setting when there is a place where Solars are revered rather than feared by the local populace, especially one as close to the Realm as Harborhead (physically). It just feels like it undermines how effective and terrifying an overlord both the Realm and the Immaculate Order are. Again, I'm not saying the character is invalid, just highlighting some concerns I have on my first read-through.

To be fair, this bugs me about it too.

It is important to point out that reverence for the Sun is in fact built into the Immaculate Philosophy, and that they portray the Solars as stealing His light to legitimize themselves. Many in Harborhead will believe accordingly.

QuoteVekseid... you gave me a Mysterious Parent... Do you know how happy this makes me?  >:) It does occur to me, though, that the implications of him thinking he's possibly the Son of the Sun is... hm. I mean, it's the logical conclusion to make, I guess, but it feels almost the far side of too snowflake-y for me. Not quite, but I do feel mildly uncomfortable with it. That said, it's not enough to ruin the concept for me, and this is Exalted.

He has many reasons to be extremely wary of that conclusion. Namely, he was never God-Blooded, for one, and whenever he could he would try to figure out any clues. As near as he can logically tell, his father was mortal.

I think as he opens up, he'll start referring to Sol as his Adoptive Father.

QuoteSee, this is interesting to me. I rarely see Chosen who might be considered to be on the autism spectrum - which may or may not have been what you were going for, but it seems like it could be a possibility. Very limited social skills... etc. I'm not a psychologist, and am only speaking from my own experience, so I may be misunderstanding what I'm saying, but he does seem a lot like what I understand it to be.

He was isolated. He has a sense of empathy, though he might assume connections with others are going to be fleeting for a rather long time.

Ah, and here we get to that point I made above. I mean, I understand completely what you're going for, and a part of me likes it. Another part of me finds the idea of representing the Unconquered Sun as such a being that could fall in love with a mortal in such a way that sex as mortals and Chosen understand it is even possible kind of... off. The Sun is the greatest deity. He, along with the rest of the Incarnae, is so immensely powerful that non-Incarnae cannot even begin to comprehend his full being. Thus, where other gods might have a hundred children and but one Chosen, if any, he has his Chosen, who are his children, who are him, and who are also completely separate from him. I am not saying no... but I'd like to hear the other players' thoughts on this, because it's something I am not certain I feel jives with my understanding of the Unconquered Sun.

Well no, if he actually is 'the Son of the Sun' it could not possibly have been a physical relationship any more than Exaltation itself is.

Some possibilities:

1) His mother was given the opportunity for Exaltation. She somehow turned it down, but the shard's passing left its mark on her and her unborn child.

2) She was a devotee of Five Days' Darkness... there are a few ways to run with that.

3) There are some darker stories involving the Wyld, or perhaps demesne taint. She prayed to any who might listen, and something relatively benevolent heard.

4) The father, while human, was fanatically devoted to the Unconquered Sun. After he fell in love, so ashamed was he that he begged for the Sun to watch over his 'sin', and sacrificed himself in the doing. This got the Sun to blink.

5) There was nothing special about his father or the pregnancy at all. To look at just the father is to ask the wrong question. His mother was so secretive because that is where questions would begin, and by keeping them focused on the father - rather than say, her - she was able to shift the blame, so to speak.

HairyHeretic

HairyHeretic - Eclipse caste ex-Dynast sailor who's become something of a larcenous con-man, if I understand correctly.

Kinda.

He's not purely a con man. More that he has a set of skills that would easily fit that description, as well as a stable of fake identities that he can swap and use at will, depending on who and what is most useful at any time. Or failing that, he'll create someone new on the fly.

Secondly, there is some amount of overlap between characters, and while I appreciate overlap is good in some places, there're three characters at this point who kind of appear to be involved in some way with crime and such, and while that's wonderful for a game about criminals and taking over the underworld or the like, that was not what I'd planned for this particular chronicle to be about. Now, that's not to say you can't do it, only that it was not the intended focus of the game. Um. There was something else... Eh, I forget, but feel free to bounce thoughts off me as to what I've written above. I'm just a tad concerned, and I don't want to create any hard feelings between us. :(

I don't think that will be too much of a problem. Kheldaran has goals, big plans he wants to realise, but he won't be able to do them as himself, what with that whole kill anathema on sight business. So he is other people at other times.

Finally, I'm going to assemble some questions that I'd love for you guys to think about for your characters. You don't need to answer all of them, necessarily, but thinking about them would help both you to define your characters and their intimacies, as well as help me figure out how I can involve your intimacies in the chronicle ahead.

I'm still working on the details for my character, so see what fits and where I might need to chop and change points around, but I think I should be able to give you a basic idea for now.

• Where does your character come from? What direction do they originate in, and how does that shape who they are today?

From the Blessed Isle, a scion of one the Great Houses.

A deniable resource.

• What was your character's family like? Do they have good relationships with any of them? Are any of them even remotely in the local area, or are they all fairly distant?

Kheldaran has only fragmentary memories of his life before his Exaltation. Perhaps the shock of his near drowning stole some of them, more likely the Fair Folk took them from him when they reshaped him into something more amusing to them.

He does know that his family would see him dead for what he has become though. Better to let them think he simply perished at sea.

• How does your character feel about the Realm? Their presence in the Threshold?

Growing up, he knew the Realm to be the source of stability and civilisation in Creation. Since he left that life behind, his eyes have been opened to another reality, aided by occasional conversation with spirits that saw the First Age wither and fall, and what rose in it's place.

There used to be a better way. He can bring it again.

The ancient sages said 'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a Dragon'. So may one just man become an army.

• How does your character regard the gods?

He hasn't dealt with any personally. Some small gods, some spirits, but no powerful Gods. He imagines they're much like those he has dealt with, just a lot moreso.

• Has your character had any lovers or friends that they have lost? That they haven't?

Possibly. I have an idea around that, but need to see if I can make it fit with the character history and build.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Winter King on October 31, 2015, 06:52:56 PM
:P
That is an excellent point. I'll stand by my five though, and if I am in danger of crashing and burning, I'll let you guys know and try to figure out what exactly is causing me distress.
Good. Then only one person dropping will mean you don't even need to choose.

QuoteHee hee hee. I mean, erm. Ignore any malevolent giggling you think you hear.
I shall :P.

QuoteImpossible!
I said "trying" ;D!

QuoteDid he actually speak to the Sun? I thought that only Zenith do that in 3e now. It could enhance his turmoil if he didn't have that... :P
Oops, you're right! It's my mistake.
Activating Inner-Turmoil Enhancing Prana as a special action after succeeding with Error-Spotting Method >:)!

QuoteOoh. I like this.
Glad to hear that.
And I'm just as glad that he springed to my mind like that. I've played enough "burn everything Immaculate and salt the earth" Celestials.

QuoteDude, we're still at least a little less than a week out, probably more than that. I like the idea of a Delzhan here... and you could probably look into the far riding tradition, if you wanted to (like Prince Diamond, I mean).
The tradition is present in many cultures.
I'm leaning Delzhan, indeed, but I'll delay this choice until I refresh on trading hubs in Creation. For now, he's not from around here, and he's from a trading hub...should be good enough, since we already know some stuff he cares about, including a Defining principle.

QuoteSee above concerns about hearing from the Sun, but I get you.
Said concerns are right.
I'll say he relies on three things: his ability to observe his own internal state, his principles, and the fact that when facing the god or goddess in question, he was trying to embody the Dragons. Surely the fell sorcerers can't touch the mind of the virtuous?
They're talking of a deal. He's never accepted one.
Still, he's kinda torn on the issue, and wondering whether it's not a fire-like Exaltation that just seems like Anathema. Maybe due to his mother's blood...
He also realises that that's, how to put it, highly unlikely.

QuoteOooh.... You're too kind, you know that? I am going to enjoy this.
Me too. Go ahead.

QuoteMwahaha- I mean, er... excellent.
...oops ;D!

QuoteHm... I think that they probably have a presence in certain areas - I mean, it's likely that there are rumors of blasphemous Anathema-cults intermixed with rumors of the Illuminated.
Well, there's a draw for him in those cults, too. I mean, weren't they Sidereal cults?
He should really investigate those rumours of martial arts-trained cultists :P!

QuoteHm, it's not exactly a moral thing from my perspective, but a... spiritual, metaphysical difference. He's head and shoulders above gods who do things like mortals do, such that he continued Chosing even when his face was turned from Creation. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I'll get into more detail when I have time, because right now I'm late for a Halloween thing.
I think a major difference between our culture and Creation's culture is seeing gods as, first, a noun that has a multiple, and second, as not-infailible. And Creation's gods and goddesses definitely have genders, too. With all things that can come up from that simple fact >:)!

But whatever the case, that's between you and Veks now. I'd rather not interfere more than that, since it's not going to impact my character in play.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Winter King

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 07:18:10 PM
It's just the more obvious path. Having him cross from the jungle also works, but knowing nothing of Ember makes me leary of writing much.
Yeah, I kept looking for info there, but I got nothing either. So I understand the feeling. xD

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 07:18:10 PMAnd all of Creation worships the Sun - the Immaculates presumably have a minor note for him in the calendar every Sunday. It's mentioned though, that with the near-open worship of Ahlat excessive reverence for the Sun follows. Occasionally they catch people with figurines of him and have to ensure a proper reeducation.
I wonder whether that is going to be kept for 3e, because I seem to recall hatewheel writing that the Sun is almost entirely forgotten as a deity somewhere, but certain other sources (like the fiction for Perfect Soul's Choosing) suggest otherwise. But yeah, you make a good point.

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 07:18:10 PMTo be fair, this bugs me about it too.

It is important to point out that reverence for the Sun is in fact built into the Immaculate Philosophy, and that they portray the Solars as stealing His light to legitimize themselves. Many in Harborhead will believe accordingly.
There's definitely truth there... though as I understand it, most people just don't bother worshipping the Sun - too distant and vast for almost everyone except the monks of the Order.

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 07:18:10 PMHe has many reasons to be extremely wary of that conclusion. Namely, he was never God-Blooded, for one, and whenever he could he would try to figure out any clues. As near as he can logically tell, his father was mortal.
Well, God-Blooded don't actually get essence necessarily any more - so he could be God-Blooded, as his extra pair of arms might suggest. But yeah, his dad could also just be a mortal who happened to wander to close to the Wyld before impregnating a woman that wasn't his wife, for instance.

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 07:18:10 PMI think as he opens up, he'll start referring to Sol as his Adoptive Father.
This is perfectly legitimate, I think. In a sense, it's true of all Chosen of the Sun, but it would resonate especially with him, it seems.

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 07:18:10 PMHe was isolated. He has a sense of empathy, though he might assume connections with others are going to be fleeting for a rather long time.
Oh, yeah. It just struck me, as someone who's on the spectrum himself, as quite interesting.

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 07:18:10 PMWell no, if he actually is 'the Son of the Sun' it could not possibly have been a physical relationship any more than Exaltation itself is.

Some possibilities:

1) His mother was given the opportunity for Exaltation. She somehow turned it down, but the shard's passing left its mark on her and her unborn child.

2) She was a devotee of Five Days' Darkness... there are a few ways to run with that.
Actually, this one struck me as I was wandering about on my way to the Halloween thing. I thought it was quite interesting.

Quote from: Vekseid on October 31, 2015, 07:18:10 PM3) There are some darker stories involving the Wyld, or perhaps demesne taint. She prayed to any who might listen, and something relatively benevolent heard.

4) The father, while human, was fanatically devoted to the Unconquered Sun. After he fell in love, so ashamed was he that he begged for the Sun to watch over his 'sin', and sacrificed himself in the doing. This got the Sun to blink.

5) There was nothing special about his father or the pregnancy at all. To look at just the father is to ask the wrong question. His mother was so secretive because that is where questions would begin, and by keeping them focused on the father - rather than say, her - she was able to shift the blame, so to speak.
I like 2 and 5 the most, myself... but I think that you've given me a lot there that makes the sense of unease fade. Thanks. :D

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 31, 2015, 07:51:14 PM
Kinda.

He's not purely a con man. More that he has a set of skills that would easily fit that description, as well as a stable of fake identities that he can swap and use at will, depending on who and what is most useful at any time. Or failing that, he'll create someone new on the fly.
My mistake. But that sounds intriguing. I think he'll find that a lot of Dun-lati have a strong sense of awe about people from the Blessed Isle, as he himself appears, so he may be able to take advantage of that, should he so desire.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 31, 2015, 07:51:14 PMI don't think that will be too much of a problem. Kheldaran has goals, big plans he wants to realise, but he won't be able to do them as himself, what with that whole kill anathema on sight business. So he is other people at other times.
Ooh, I'd love to hear about his plans. :>

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 31, 2015, 07:51:14 PMI'm still working on the details for my character, so see what fits and where I might need to chop and change points around, but I think I should be able to give you a basic idea for now.

From the Blessed Isle, a scion of one the Great Houses.

A deniable resource.

Kheldaran has only fragmentary memories of his life before his Exaltation. Perhaps the shock of his near drowning stole some of them, more likely the Fair Folk took them from him when they reshaped him into something more amusing to them.

He does know that his family would see him dead for what he has become though. Better to let them think he simply perished at sea.
Hm, I wonder if there's any way I can pull... *Muses*

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 31, 2015, 07:51:14 PMGrowing up, he knew the Realm to be the source of stability and civilisation in Creation. Since he left that life behind, his eyes have been opened to another reality, aided by occasional conversation with spirits that saw the First Age wither and fall, and what rose in it's place.

There used to be a better way. He can bring it again.

The ancient sages said 'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a Dragon'. So may one just man become an army.
Ooh. That's given me a thought. What are some quotes that might represent your characters? Just a wondering. :D

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 31, 2015, 07:51:14 PMHe hasn't dealt with any personally. Some small gods, some spirits, but no powerful Gods. He imagines they're much like those he has dealt with, just a lot moreso.
With about seven exceptions, I think he's right.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 31, 2015, 07:51:14 PMPossibly. I have an idea around that, but need to see if I can make it fit with the character history and build.
>:)

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 07:59:58 PM
And I'm just as glad that he springed to my mind like that. I've played enough "burn everything Immaculate and salt the earth" Celestials.
Yeah, Lyta doesn't need any competition! :P

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 07:59:58 PMThe tradition is present in many cultures.
I'm leaning Delzhan, indeed, but I'll delay this choice until I refresh on trading hubs in Creation. For now, he's not from around here, and he's from a trading hub...should be good enough, since we already know some stuff he cares about, including a Defining principle.
Oh yah. You've got a pretty solid concept, I think.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 07:59:58 PMSaid concerns are right.
I'll say he relies on three things: his ability to observe his own internal state, his principles, and the fact that when facing the god or goddess in question, he was trying to embody the Dragons. Surely the fell sorcerers can't touch the mind of the virtuous?
They're talking of a deal. He's never accepted one.
Still, he's kinda torn on the issue, and wondering whether it's not a fire-like Exaltation that just seems like Anathema. Maybe due to his mother's blood...
He also realises that that's, how to put it, highly unlikely.
Mwahaha!

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 07:59:58 PMMe too. Go ahead.
I shall... *Much hand rubbing ensues*

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 07:59:58 PM...oops ;D!
Well, there's a draw for him in those cults, too. I mean, weren't they Sidereal cults?
He should really investigate those rumours of martial arts-trained cultists :P!
Yeah, they are. And I think that they may be closer than he imagines.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 31, 2015, 07:59:58 PMI think a major difference between our culture and Creation's culture is seeing gods as, first, a noun that has a multiple, and second, as not-infailible. And Creation's gods and goddesses definitely have genders, too. With all things that can come up from that simple fact >:)!
I'm inclined to agree with you on the matter of virtually every god in Creation except Luna, the Ignis Divine, and the Maidens. I feel like the Incarnate in particular are... there's a concept in Kabbalah called ain sof, which is the point at which mortals can no longer comprehend the divine except as infinity. I think that the Incarnae are at that point for Creation - they sometimes act like we would, but their beings are... different. Bigger. Beyond, but still comprehensible at some level, unlike the Yozis who are simply... Beyond.

Check out my world!

RSGAlex

Oh, hey, reading Thufir's post shows me I missed responding to something important. I don't mind, either.

Please wait warmly.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Winter King on October 31, 2015, 08:17:49 PM
Yeah, Lyta doesn't need any competition! :P
We might have to discuss it, I guess.

QuoteOh yah. You've got a pretty solid concept, I think.
Thank you!

QuoteMwahaha!
I shall... *Much hand rubbing ensues*
There are 10 kinds of players. The first think such a reaction from the GM is terrifying. The others think it means the game is going to be fun!
Technically, there could be a third kind of players, those who don't know binary code, but they're just subsumed in the previous 10 kinds.
Yeah, they are. And I think that they may be closer than he imagines.
It's possible, but I don't know.

QuoteI'm inclined to agree with you on the matter of virtually every god in Creation except Luna, the Ignis Divine, and the Maidens. I feel like the Incarnate in particular are... there's a concept in Kabbalah called ain sof, which is the point at which mortals can no longer comprehend the divine except as infinity. I think that the Incarnae are at that point for Creation - they sometimes act like we would, but their beings are... different. Bigger. Beyond, but still comprehensible at some level, unlike the Yozis who are simply... Beyond.
Before we continue: are you asking us on opinion how to interprete the setting during your game, opinion on how the setting was meant to be by its creators, or just whether any option on the matter would bother us?
On the first account, I believe that Talislanta was right to include a GM advice chapter titled "Make the setting yours". When I Referee a game, the setting is my bitch.
On the second, I told you already. Kabbalah is also influenced by the Abrahamic religions, and they simply have different views on what" divine" means. In my games, PCs have done all seven deities you mentioned. But I am going for non-Abrahamic feel. See the previous point on how your Creation might vary.
On the third issue, I can only say that no, neither accepting nor vetoing Vekseid's idea would impact my enjoyment of the game.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Muse

Chocolate's birth name was Morning Glory. 

I can certainly pitch another concept if you prefer. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Winter King

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 01, 2015, 03:03:38 AM
Before we continue: are you asking us on opinion how to interprete the setting during your game, opinion on how the setting was meant to be by its creators, or just whether any option on the matter would bother us?
The latter more than the former, but I do like hearing how you interpret the setting, and it might affect my own interpretation.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 01, 2015, 03:03:38 AM
On the first account, I believe that Talislanta was right to include a GM advice chapter titled "Make the setting yours". When I Referee a game, the setting is my bitch.
On the second, I told you already. Kabbalah is also influenced by the Abrahamic religions, and they simply have different views on what" divine" means. In my games, PCs have done all seven deities you mentioned. But I am going for non-Abrahamic feel. See the previous point on how your Creation might vary.
On the third issue, I can only say that no, neither accepting nor vetoing Vekseid's idea would impact my enjoyment of the game.
I used the example of Kabbalah, but I really am influenced by the Elder Scrolls (whose writers are almost certainly drawing on Kabbalah, and Abrahamic religions in some respects) when I describe the Incarnae. Have you read the 36 Lessons of Vivec? That's where I am getting a lot of the ideas surrounding the Incarnae. I mean, it's just something that appeals to me. That said, I'm not saying that sex with them is impossible, only that it might not be in the same... shape as we understand it. Like, sex with an incarna cannot possibly be more intimate than being Chosen by them. But yeah, this is only my interpretation.

Quote from: Muse on November 01, 2015, 05:55:26 AM
Chocolate's birth name was Morning Glory. 

I can certainly pitch another concept if you prefer. 

You don't need to pitch another concept! I would like to hear more about her, though. Why did she leave Harborhead/Kirighast? Why did she come to Dun-lat? Does she have any enemies specifically pursuing her (rather than pursuing her for her status as Anathema)?

Check out my world!

Muse

*Chuckles*  Okay, that showes me how little Iv'e said about her yet.  Been looking for older comprehensive write ups. 

I don't remember how she actualy exalted, but when she was a girl, some guild merchants got her family hooked on opium, leading to some of their deaths and all of their lives destroyed. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Winter King

Quote from: Muse on November 01, 2015, 07:08:40 AM
*Chuckles*  Okay, that showes me how little Iv'e said about her yet.  Been looking for older comprehensive write ups. 

I don't remember how she actualy exalted, but when she was a girl, some guild merchants got her family hooked on opium, leading to some of their deaths and all of their lives destroyed.
Hm, okay, interesting... I'll look forwards to those more complete write-ups, but if you can't find them, I have confidence you can work out where to go with her, and would be willing to bounce ideas off of you if you wanted.

Check out my world!

Vekseid

Yeah, I kept looking for info there, but I got nothing either. So I understand the feeling. xD
I wonder whether that is going to be kept for 3e, because I seem to recall hatewheel writing that the Sun is almost entirely forgotten as a deity somewhere, but certain other sources (like the fiction for Perfect Soul's Choosing) suggest otherwise. But yeah, you make a good point.
There's definitely truth there... though as I understand it, most people just don't bother worshipping the Sun - too distant and vast for almost everyone except the monks of the Order.

Most people tend towards small heresies and being lax in their honoring of the gods. That's why the Immaculate Philosophy is there to educate them.

And I just remembered we get merit dots separately. So may add a retainer into his full story. >_> Don't know how I forgot that.

Well, God-Blooded don't actually get essence necessarily any more - so he could be God-Blooded, as his extra pair of arms might suggest. But yeah, his dad could also just be a mortal who happened to wander to close to the Wyld before impregnating a woman that wasn't his wife, for instance.

My general preference is that his father be a normal-ish mortal.

Actually, this one struck me as I was wandering about on my way to the Halloween thing. I thought it was quite interesting.
I like 2 and 5 the most, myself... but I think that you've given me a lot there that makes the sense of unease fade. Thanks. :D

The final one was a last-minute epiphany of sorts.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Winter King on November 01, 2015, 06:26:08 AM
The latter more than the former, but I do like hearing how you interpret the setting, and it might affect my own interpretation.
Well, I interprete it as a place with pre-Abrahamic religions, but you're free to make it a mix, as you obviously are doing :).

QuoteI used the example of Kabbalah, but I really am influenced by the Elder Scrolls (whose writers are almost certainly drawing on Kabbalah, and Abrahamic religions in some respects) when I describe the Incarnae. Have you read the 36 Lessons of Vivec? That's where I am getting a lot of the ideas surrounding the Incarnae. I mean, it's just something that appeals to me. That said, I'm not saying that sex with them is impossible, only that it might not be in the same... shape as we understand it. Like, sex with an incarna cannot possibly be more intimate than being Chosen by them. But yeah, this is only my interpretation.
I really can't comment on Elder Scrolls ;).
But if I was a Zenith, I'd be suddenly worried why so many of Sol's Chosens are good looking.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

The Great Triangle

I'd be interested in getting in on this, if you have room for another player.  :) 

I have some vague ideas about playing a twilight of some kind who focuses on lore and crafting, though I'm quite open to playing a character who fits into the story in some way.  I'd also be interested in portraying a different sort of Exalt or possibly a small god using NPC stats as a supporting character. 

Perhaps something along the lines of a No Moon silver pact lunar who encourages heresy by performing miracles in the name of the gods, or one of the few remaining honest members of House Tepet in Dun-Lat, trying desperately to keep the Realm's hold on the nation from falling away.

Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

My mistake. But that sounds intriguing. I think he'll find that a lot of Dun-lati have a strong sense of awe about people from the Blessed Isle, as he himself appears, so he may be able to take advantage of that, should he so desire.

He's more likely to present himself as a minor House member acting on behalf of someone more important who wants to remain anonymous. He wouldn't identify who he was working for, just speak with the accents of the Blessed Isle and let people draw the conclusions they want to. ;)

Ooh, I'd love to hear about his plans. :>

In order to reform what he sees wrong in Creation, he needs to build a power base. He has some small network in Nexus, a half dozen inns, one of which is refit as a high class brothel, care of a plan of House V'Neef that didn't work out quite as well as they had hoped it would  >:) Some of the people there would know who and what he truly is, but not many.

A situation like this, the country so disrupted, that is an opportunity for him to establish a proper power base, hidden carefully away of course, and to start making the changes on a small scale that he would see eventually spread further afield.

Hm, I wonder if there's any way I can pull... *Muses*

What do you have in mind?

Ooh. That's given me a thought. What are some quotes that might represent your characters? Just a wondering. :D

“All warfare is based on deception.”

“Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

With about seven exceptions, I think he's right.

Perhaps :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Winter King

Quote from: Vekseid on November 01, 2015, 10:40:12 AM
Most people tend towards small heresies and being lax in their honoring of the gods. That's why the Immaculate Philosophy is there to educate them.
As it should be. ... *Giggle*

Quote from: Vekseid on November 01, 2015, 10:40:12 AMAnd I just remembered we get merit dots separately. So may add a retainer into his full story. >_> Don't know how I forgot that.
Hahaha. Yes, that's a handy part of chargen, isn't it?

Quote from: Vekseid on November 01, 2015, 10:40:12 AMMy general preference is that his father be a normal-ish mortal.
I was thinking perhaps he was conceived sometime during Calibration, which may have affected it.

Quote from: Vekseid on November 01, 2015, 10:40:12 AMThe final one was a last-minute epiphany of sorts.

It was good, though! :D
Quote from: The Great Triangle on November 01, 2015, 11:54:34 AM
I'd be interested in getting in on this, if you have room for another player.  :) 

I have some vague ideas about playing a twilight of some kind who focuses on lore and crafting, though I'm quite open to playing a character who fits into the story in some way.  I'd also be interested in portraying a different sort of Exalt or possibly a small god using NPC stats as a supporting character. 

Perhaps something along the lines of a No Moon silver pact lunar who encourages heresy by performing miracles in the name of the gods, or one of the few remaining honest members of House Tepet in Dun-Lat, trying desperately to keep the Realm's hold on the nation from falling away.
Alas, I don't think there's more room for a player character here... However, there is a certain level of appeal to having someone who can play various NPCs... I'll have to think on this some, because I'm not certain I'm confident that it would be the right thing for me to do, but your offer is greatly appreciated.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 01, 2015, 12:35:45 PM
He's more likely to present himself as a minor House member acting on behalf of someone more important who wants to remain anonymous. He wouldn't identify who he was working for, just speak with the accents of the Blessed Isle and let people draw the conclusions they want to. ;)
The best deceivers need never lie. People do it for them.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 01, 2015, 12:35:45 PMIn order to reform what he sees wrong in Creation, he needs to build a power base. He has some small network in Nexus, a half dozen inns, one of which is refit as a high class brothel, care of a plan of House V'Neef that didn't work out quite as well as they had hoped it would  >:) Some of the people there would know who and what he truly is, but not many.
Building up a power base is probably a wise choice to take here. Patience is key, methinks. That said, I am assuming the stuff about Nexus is meant to be true for his 1e or 2.5e incarnation? I mean, even if it's not, he's going to have a hell of a time getting information back and forth from Nexus to Dun-lat.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 01, 2015, 12:35:45 PMA situation like this, the country so disrupted, that is an opportunity for him to establish a proper power base, hidden carefully away of course, and to start making the changes on a small scale that he would see eventually spread further afield.
Why yes, it is.  ;)

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 01, 2015, 12:35:45 PMWhat do you have in mind?
I was just wondering how I could attempt to pull his relatives in, but I'm not certain yet. We'll have to see how the story unfolds, I think.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 01, 2015, 12:35:45 PM“All warfare is based on deception.”

“Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Hairy gets it.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 01, 2015, 12:35:45 PMPerhaps :)
Just so.

Check out my world!

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Winter King on November 01, 2015, 01:05:14 PM
The best deceivers need never lie. People do it for them.

Yep :)

Building up a power base is probably a wise choice to take here. Patience is key, methinks. That said, I am assuming the stuff about Nexus is meant to be true for his 1e or 2.5e incarnation? I mean, even if it's not, he's going to have a hell of a time getting information back and forth from Nexus to Dun-lat.

Kheldaran doesn't believe in having all his eggs in one basket, and would have identities and resources scattered in a few places, in case he needed to abandon his main in a hurry.

While the story happened in his 1e incarnation, I can use Followers and Resources to reflect it in this one, plus to give a reason for those backgrounds :)

Why yes, it is.  ;)

Hence he is perfectly willing to take advantge of this opportunity :)

I was just wondering how I could attempt to pull his relatives in, but I'm not certain yet. We'll have to see how the story unfolds, I think.

Considering they would believe him dead, even if he was saying who he really was, anyone hearing about it would think it was someone pretending to be him instead.

Hairy gets it.

Yep :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Great Triangle

Alas, I don't think there's more room for a player character here... However, there is a certain level of appeal to having someone who can play various NPCs... I'll have to think on this some, because I'm not certain I'm confident that it would be the right thing for me to do, but your offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the consideration!  I'm interested in exploring Exalted 3rd edition's combat and social influence mechanics some, and also generally helping lighten the mechanical load.  I don't want to do too much to affect how the narrative runs or take a lot of responsibility from the GMing side though. 

Roleplaying scenes of dynasts reading reports of the PCs actions and spitting out their morning tea sounds quite fun, though!
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Winter King

Quote from: The Great Triangle on November 01, 2015, 02:06:28 PM
Thanks for the consideration!  I'm interested in exploring Exalted 3rd edition's combat and social influence mechanics some, and also generally helping lighten the mechanical load.  I don't want to do too much to affect how the narrative runs or take a lot of responsibility from the GMing side though. 

Roleplaying scenes of dynasts reading reports of the PCs actions and spitting out their morning tea sounds quite fun, though!

I'm not 100%, but I'll definitely think about it, depending on how heavy the load turns out to be.

Check out my world!