Achtung Cthulhu, Savage Worlds

Started by Jaded, July 04, 2016, 04:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaded

As there seems to be enough interest, I am opening recruitment.  I am looking for 2 to 5 characters.  I prefer that the characters are women, but won't require it.  If interested, please post a paragraph or two concept for your character (who they are, their role, how they came to be in Egypt, etc) as well as how often you can (usually) post and what sort of smut you are or aren't comfortable with.  I don't need your full on/off list, mainly just the major ones so I have a good idea.  Likewise, please indicate how much smut you are comfortable with your character being involved in.

The game will be run using Savage Worlds/Achtung Cthulhu.  I can assist some with creation, but access/familiarity with the system is needed.

September, 1940
Italian forces have attacked Egypt, seizing the port city of Sidi Barrani.  British forces prepare to counterattack, even as uncertainty spreads among the command staff due to reports of German forces heading south towards the Great Sand Sea.  With no previous reports of German soldiers in North Africa, officers fear reinforcements have secretly arrived. 

A local fixture, often referred to just as ‘the Colonel,’ offers to lead a small group of volunteers to investigate.  A man who has lived in Egypt for the twenty-plus years since his retirement, Colonel Augustus Ayers only ever seems to leave the bar he inhabits to venture into the deep desert every few months.  He rarely talks about what he does or what he has seen.  The lucky, or perhaps unlucky, few who have been around him when he has consumed excessive amounts of alcohol have been gifted with stories of the horrors of trench warfare, embellished with strange creatures surely straight from hell, stories of great temples that no living man, except apparently the Colonel, have ever laid eyes on, and stories of dark magic. 

Of course, few believe the Colonel, instead explaining his stories with trauma he experienced during the war.  Which perhaps explains the eclectic collection of people the Colonel has chosen to accompany him.  A small convoy, cobbled together with what gear, equipment, and people could be scavenged, borrowed, or stolen prepares to set out in pursuit of the German expedition.

Original Interest Check
I am curious if there would be any interest in an Achtung Cthulhu game using the Savage Worlds system?

I am thinking something set in North Africa, probably focused on a multi-national group of characters who have set out to investigate German activity in the Sahara.  My preference is female characters, but I wouldn't be limiting it to them.  I would, if I ran it, probably be looking for 2-5 characters.  It would likely be NC-Ex or Extreme, depending on player preference, though the level of smut would depend on the players/characters.

I will admit I don't have a great deal in mind yet, mostly as I'm not sure if the systems is at all popular. 

Any interest?  Is it worth developing the idea further?

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Lustful Bride

*Jumps through window* Oh Yes! I am SO In on this! I would love to bash some Lovecraftian monsters. :)

Oh Hi Dame!  oohhh nice Avi! Shes so pretty! ^3^

Anyway I would love to fight monsters and Nazis in this :P

Also: *Offers up some images for you to use and I would gladly help with writing the setting and such, especially since I ordered some new Lovecraft books that should arrive...in like 3 weeks* :P

Innsmouth Raid

No Man's Land

TheSithChicken

I'm a little rusty on Savage Worlds but I'd be willing to give it a go. Love me some Lovecraft.

Mac84

Ooo, Looks interesting.

Any Room for a Panzer IV Crew that finds out what the Thule Society, and SS doing. Sacrificing crippled German Soldiers, along side Allied Soldiers, to get the monsters to fight for them? Since they're regular Heer Forces, they're not the fanatical Zealots that the SS are. So they rather do their part to end this heinous sacrilege. 

Thinking like a Panzer IV Ausf F, or E.

Jaded

Quote from: la dame en noir on July 04, 2016, 01:23:34 PM
Are you GMing it?

That was the intent unless someone else wanted to.

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 04, 2016, 01:49:16 PM
*Jumps through window* Oh Yes! I am SO In on this! I would love to bash some Lovecraftian monsters. :)

Also: *Offers up some images for you to use and I would gladly help with writing the setting and such, especially since I ordered some new Lovecraft books that should arrive...in like 3 weeks* :P

Ah?  Which books have you ordered?  I think there is a series of images similar to those on Deviant Art under Cthulhu Wars or some such.

Quote from: DarkPrince on July 04, 2016, 03:37:13 PM
I'm a little rusty on Savage Worlds but I'd be willing to give it a go. Love me some Lovecraft.

I'll admit I am a little rusty on Savage Worlds as well, it isn't one I have gotten to use as much as I'd like to.

Quote from: Mac84 on July 04, 2016, 03:51:31 PM
Ooo, Looks interesting.

Any Room for a Panzer IV Crew that finds out what the Thule Society, and SS doing. Sacrificing crippled German Soldiers, along side Allied Soldiers, to get the monsters to fight for them? Since they're regular Heer Forces, they're not the fanatical Zealots that the SS are. So they rather do their part to end this heinous sacrilege. 

Thinking like a Panzer IV Ausf F, or E.

A crew for one player?  Probably not.  A lone member of a crew I would be fine with, as a traitor to Germany.  Likewise probably no on the tank as starting equipment, at least in operational condition.  Maybe in a garage in need of parts until things develop a bit.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Jaded on July 04, 2016, 04:42:04 PM
Ah?  Which books have you ordered?  I think there is a series of images similar to those on Deviant Art under Cthulhu Wars or some such.

Cthulhu Wars and World War Cthulhu.

la dame en noir

Was just wondering. I'm a little familiar with Savage worlds and I love the Cthulhu lore...

So, I am interested.
A&A | FxF |

Jaded

I updated the original post into a recruitment post, as we seem to have enough interest.  Please let me know if you have any issues or suggestions for it. 

TheSithChicken

Looks like I need to dust off my Savage Worlds books.

Lustful Bride

Is this a good CS? Anything to add or mess around with? :P

Name: Irma Reynolds.
Sex: Female
Race: Caucasian.
Religion: Unknown. (She wishes she could believe like her father does.)
Role: Mechanic and Fighter.
Sexuality: (Secretly) Bisexual
Smutt: Same as Player, no monster sex.
Notable Abilities/Skills: Speaks a tiny amount of Russian that she learned from her parents (when she actually listened to them). Not bad with a wrench and the proper supplies.

Weapons of choice: A looted Webley Revolver (Stole it from a drunk British officer who slapped her ass), her  Thompson Sub Machine Gun. and her trusty Wrench.

Appearance: A blonde haired, Blue eyed woman who always seems to be covered in bruises is a quick way to describe Irma. She doesn't care much for her appearance, having become a full on grease monkey through and through and only takes the time necessary to pretty up so that she doesn't look like a complete and utter wreck. From her time working in the factories to her field work she has developed some muscles upon her upper body, but still retains a slight belly from her habit of eating anything sweet in sight.

Personality: Short fused is a saying commonly associated with her. Irma never learned how to really keep her anger in check and more than once can fly into a rage when she drops her tools, or when a machine needs a good wack to wake it up, hence why her favorite wrench carries with it the markings of many impacts. Even though she can be quick to anger it ends as quickly as a firecracker and she might even feel embarrassed if anyone saw her lose her temper. She has managed to outgrow her younger rebellion faze though and is almost friendly to others now. So long as they don't bring up her lack of a proper education.

Hobbies: Tinkering with machines, enjoying the rush that comes with holding down the trigger on an automatic weapon. She is a woman of simple tastes and simple pleasures.

Background: One of three children born from a Russian immigrant mother and an American father. Irma was the second child of the family, the middle child. As such she tended to feel forgotten or ignored by her parents who had a habit of giving more attention to her older brother Michael and her younger sister Natalya. It eventually became that the only way she thought she could get attention was by acting out, even if that attention was in the form of punishments. Needless to say she never had the best homelife and hated school just as much. Her grades were barely passable and it would be something she would come to regret later on in life as it made it difficult for her to find any employment. But when the war broke out and women were needed in the factories it gave her a chance to really make something of herself.

She just had no idea she would love it so much. She delighted in working in the factories, building great and mighty machines that were out there fighting the biggest war in history. It was just a shame that her temper led her into getting into trouble yet again. She ended up being fired from her job and arrested for punching out several people after they dropped her tools ontop of her.

It appeared to be an open and shut case and she dreaded being sent to prison for assault and battery. Though it seemed as if fate had other ideas. It wasn't uncommon for the government to offer people ways out of their prison sentence, if they allowed themselves to be used for scientific experimentation or found other ways to serve the great USA.

The Army (or some group who worked for them) was apparently in an engineer, or at least someone more mechanically inclined than most. Some sort of secret mission that they had planned, and sought plausible deniability. If anyone asked she was just some criminal who went to North Africa to escape extradition. If she made it back alive, her slate would be wiped clean.

Needless to say, she signed up without even letting them finish.

Oh my God, I had no idea finding images would be so hard. @3@
Not many female soldiers or engiees in that era. (At least not ones from Russia) :P So I'm gonna include a few extras to help you out if any of you have trouble.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

la dame en noir

Would it be okay to play a local native?
A&A | FxF |

Jaded

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 05, 2016, 03:45:26 PM
Is this a good CS? Anything to add or mess around with? :P

I like her. :-) 

Is she from Egypt?  If not, how did she make her way there?

The only additional information I would request is:
Quotewhat sort of smut you are or aren't comfortable with.  I don't need your full on/off list, mainly just the major ones so I have a good idea.  Likewise, please indicate how much smut you are comfortable with your character being involved in.

Quote from: la dame en noir on July 05, 2016, 03:46:19 PM
Would it be okay to play a local native?

A local should be fine. :-)  I think they are covered a bit in the Guide to North Africa book.

TheSithChicken

Quote from: Jaded on July 05, 2016, 11:26:03 PM
A local should be fine. :-)  I think they are covered a bit in the Guide to North Africa book.

They are. I was actually considering a Bedouin.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Jaded on July 05, 2016, 11:26:03 PM
I like her. :-) 

Is she from Egypt?  If not, how did she make her way there?

The only additional information I would request is:

Il work on smutt later and no she's from the US. Hence the mention of her working in the factories and having an American father. I was going to have it be the Colonel picked her up in a bar and convinced her to join. Since its not like the Army would waste one of their real engineers on this insane boondoggle. (Must unorthodox! *Poppycock!* :P )

IDK, I will figure out a better explanation later :P

TheSithChicken

Just letting you know that I'm still ineterested. It's just been a few long crazy days.

wigglebiscuit

I've been wanting to play a detective based of off this
pic
for a while now. Would this be setting and story appropriate?

Jaded

Quote from: DarkPrince on July 05, 2016, 11:28:12 PM
They are. I was actually considering a Bedouin.

A Bedouin should be fine. :-)

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 05, 2016, 11:39:04 PM
Il work on smutt later and no she's from the US. Hence the mention of her working in the factories and having an American father. I was going to have it be the Colonel picked her up in a bar and convinced her to join. Since its not like the Army would waste one of their real engineers on this insane boondoggle. (Must unorthodox! *Poppycock!* :P )

IDK, I will figure out a better explanation later :P

One thing to keep in mind (that didn't occur to me earlier) is that the USA is not yet directly involved in the war.  I am willing to handwave things a bit since it is alternate history and all that (so they are probably unofficially involved in some ways), and I think they are mobilizing for war at this point (so the factory story still works).

I am fine with him having picked her up in a bar, it would just have to be a bar in Egypt.  ;)

Quote from: DarkPrince on July 08, 2016, 12:36:17 AM
Just letting you know that I'm still ineterested. It's just been a few long crazy days.

No worries.  It happens. :-)

Quote from: wigglebiscuit on July 08, 2016, 01:52:37 PM
I've been wanting to play a detective based of off this
pic
for a while now. Would this be setting and story appropriate?

It should fit.  The alien is a bit pulp over horror, but the general gist is close. 

Lustful Bride

I changed my character abit to say she got in trouble and got sent to Egypt. So that she could be an expendable asset. If she get skilled then no big loss, if she wins then she was useful and caused the Nazis some problems. Its a win win for the government either way :P

wigglebiscuit

Name: Sam Gunn
Race:Caucasian
Religion: Catholic. Not practicing
Role: Occult Investigator
Sexuality: Closeted Bisexual
Smut: Yes please. Including but not limited to interactions between characters, non-con, and tentacled and other monstrosities.
Appearance: Classic bombshell. Hourglass figure, blonde hair, legs for miles, favors close-fitting skirts, nylon hose, revealing blouses, and red lipstick.
Personality: Despite the sultry exterior, Sam is a no-nonsense dame. Born and raised in Brooklyn, she is the daughter of a cop, the widowed wife of a cop. She takes no lip from anyone.

Detective work comes naturally to Sam, and a willingness to follow the clues no matter where they lead gives her the sort of open-mindedness that an occult investigator needs. Since the disappearance of her husband, Nick Gunn, she has begun to explore her sexuality, acknowledging her long attraction to women, though she has to act on these desires.

Background: Before her husband's disappearance in '36, she was more or less content to filll the role of supportive housewife. His disappearance changed all that. She had to take care of herself, navigating a man's world. Shocked at the police department's stonewalling of an investigation of one of their own, Sam took matters into her own hands. What she found shocked her.

Sam never gave much thought to the occult before the clues started pointing in that direction. So far she has learned much about the occult underworld, but little of her husband's disappearance, which she is convinced is connected to some dark cult. Her most recent investigation points to a certain colonel in Egypt. Wasting no time, she booked the next flight.

notes
Nick's disappearance can be tied to the events of the story, or it could be just a red herring to get Sam on the scene. Are we allowed to take edges or hindrances from Realms of Cthulu?

Callie Del Noire

Interesting setting idea

Had a few characters that would fit in, are psychics allowed in the setting?

Also could use practice making Savage characters

TheSithChicken

After some research here we go. I am also more than willing to answer any questions or work to make any changes necessary or work hooks in. I'm easy enough to deal with and I want the game to be fun for all.

Name: Rahat Mautlauq
Sex: male
Race: Bedouin
Religion: Bedouin Islamic
Role: Guide, survival expert, and combatant
Sexuality: Heterosexual
Smutt: Same as player
Notable Abilities/Skills: Navigation, survival, horsemanship

Weapons of choice: Sword, rifle

Appearance: Tall, lean, and weathered. A man the desert had stripped the weakness from long ago. Dark of skin and beard wearing the stoney expression of a man too long in battle. Fierce in expression and always wearing the traditional garb of his people including his sword.

Personality: Far friendlier than his appearance would lead one to believe. Likes to laugh and joke. If he had his way his days would be spent with a pipe with good friends and his nights would be spent with a good woman. Still stalwart in the face of battle and honorable to all. Sharaf, Diyafa, and Hamasa are more than words to him - more than simple precepts of his people. He has built his life around honor.

Hobbies: Horse breeding, pipe smoking, reading

Background: Rahat and his father Kader before him have long been friends with Colonel Ayers often visiting his bar when they made the trip to the city to trade. When he was young he would listen to tales that he did not understand of lost temples and ruins and horrors. As he grew older he would have written them off as so many others had if he had not seen the shadow in his fathers eyes when they spoke of them. While he never knew the full truth he did know that his father was often the Colonels guide on his expeditions into the desert. His father survived many expeditions but they took their toll upon the man till the once proud man was a withered remnant of himself. In his final days as his body succumbed to illness and his mind to vivid hallucinations he made his son promise to aid the Colonel once he was gone - and Rahat was a dutiful son.

Callie Del Noire

Jaded

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 08, 2016, 05:08:44 PM
I changed my character abit to say she got in trouble and got sent to Egypt. So that she could be an expendable asset. If she get skilled then no big loss, if she wins then she was useful and caused the Nazis some problems. Its a win win for the government either way :P

Sounds good. :-)

Quote from: wigglebiscuit on July 09, 2016, 01:03:00 PM
Nick's disappearance can be tied to the events of the story, or it could be just a red herring to get Sam on the scene. Are we allowed to take edges or hindrances from Realms of Cthulu?

Looks good. :-)

Unfortunately I don't have access to Realms of Cthulhu :-(  So probably not unless it was something limited and specific.

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 09, 2016, 03:51:47 PM
Had a few characters that would fit in, are psychics allowed in the setting?

Also could use practice making Savage characters

Hmm.  I'm not sure if psychics are covered by the rules.  I know there are spells, but not quite the same.  I would say potentially, depending on where the rules are and what you had in mind?  Though it would need to mesh well with the (in)sanity angle of Cthulhu (unless I missed rules for it somewhere). 

Quote from: DarkPrince on July 09, 2016, 06:08:20 PM
After some research here we go. I am also more than willing to answer any questions or work to make any changes necessary or work hooks in. I'm easy enough to deal with and I want the game to be fun for all.

Looks good. :-)

Callie Del Noire

The idea was a bit of a shell shocked psychic (object reading, aura viewing)/heiress looking for an artifact or some lore to control her abilities.

Jaded

I am not opposed to the concept, but am not sure how easy it would be create with the system.

Your best bet might be taking a rank or two in Knowledge (Mythos), then (and I need to double check for rules regarding spells and gaining them at creation) learning the spell Augur.

wigglebiscuit

Are we creating character sheets at this point? If so, what level?

Callie Del Noire

That might work or having mostly be a plot point for the GM

Jaded

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=252537.0
Characters: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=252536.0

Standard Savage Worlds Achtung! Cthulhu creation rules, no additional ranks/experience to start.

Captain Whitebread

I'm thinking about an old alcoholic engineer who (while drunk) designed and built a bridge in one of the less developed countries only to have it collapse when the first train went across it.

He's now in Egypt hiding from people who want to mount his head on a pike and make musical instruments out of his bones.  He's seen a lot.  How much of it was real and how much of it was the booze....
There are nights when the wolves are silent and it the moon that howls.

Jaded

Hmm, I like the concept, but my main concern is that there would be a great deal of overlap in skills with Lustful Bride's character.

Captain Whitebread

Not really.  He's a designer and a supervisor and she is the tinkerer and the machinist.  They're at opposite ends of the same spectrum.  Then again, no sane person would trust him to build much more than a sand castle if they found out what he'd done.

He's currently mixed up in gun smuggling.

Jaded

If you are willing to work with Lustful Bridge to make sure that is the case (my main worry is the limited skills in the system) I am fine with the concept. :-)

Captain Whitebread

I'll send a PM and include you so you're party to the negotiations....

Captain Whitebread

Name: Alexander 'Xander'  Huntington
Sex: Male
Race: Caucasian.
Religion: Lapsed Catholic
Role: Engineer and Gun Runner
Sexuality: Heterosexual
Smut: Mostly vanilla, strong attraction to prostitutes, strong dislike of clingy women.
Notable Abilities/Skills: Fluent in English, French, Spanish and German, speaks Bantu and two dialects of Arabic.  When he's not drunk, he's a brilliant engineer.  Knows the desert and many of the Bedouin tribes.

Weapons of choice: A well cared for C96 Mauser , complete with stock/holster or his most prized possession, a Holland & Holland  .470 Nitro Express  double barrel elephant rifle..

Appearance: You wouldn't take Alexander Huntington to be an educated gentlemen upon first sight but that is indeed the case.  Under the long, greying unkempt hair and wrinkled clothing, behind the bleary eyes, the week old unshaved salt and pepper beard and the occasional smell of unine and alcohol lurks a man who once rubbed elbows with royalty.

Personality: When he's sober (and not hung over or experiencing delerium tremens) Alexander can be a genial and intelligent conversationalist.  When he's drunk, he's a silent, brooding loner.  When he's been drinking but isn't entirely drunk (a state where he spends the majority of his time), he's gregarious, occasionally overly so.  He has a quick, sometimes savage wit.  While most people think getting him drunk will make his less aware and a less able negotiator. he is at his best when tipsy.

Hobbies: Drinking, building structures with match-sticks

Background: Alexander was the second son of a titled family.  Educated at the University of Glasgow, he was a rising star in the field of engineering.  Sent to the Sudan in Africa on a royal order after the end of the Great War,  he was assigned the task of building a bridge over a chasm that would allow rail traffic to open up the centre of Africa.  He completed the task in record time, coming in under budget as well.  He was hailed as a hero, right up until the moment the bridge collapsed under the weight of the first train that crossed it, killing hundreds of passengers as well as a handful of dignitaries.  It seemed that alcohol and engineering didn't mix as well as Alexander thought they did.

He fled, before he could be arrested for multiple murders.  He fled before he could be lynched and torn apart by the angry mob.  It took him years to travel to Egypt, hiding in small villages, living with various Bedouin tribe and keeping constantly on the move.  He eventually found himself as a go between, a translator between various groups and those who wanted to sell them weapons.  He's managed to make a good living and the clandestine nature of his new occupation helps keep him out of the view of those who would see him pay for his past crimes.

Jaded

Phaia

I was curious if there was still something happening with this. I have a copy of savage lands [had to go dust it off from the closet] though have not had anything to do with Achtung Cthulhu but what could go wrong with tentacles and monsters  :o :o

Phaia

Captain Whitebread

Nothing, unless you are an adorable Japanese school girl with a basket of puppies, because the the tentacle violence is proportional to the previous scene's cuteness.

Jaded

Quote from: Phaia on July 27, 2016, 06:34:07 PM
I was curious if there was still something happening with this. I have a copy of savage lands [had to go dust it off from the closet] though have not had anything to do with Achtung Cthulhu but what could go wrong with tentacles and monsters  :o :o

Phaia

It doesn't seem to have gotten off the ground unfortunately.  I will probably give it a few more days to see if anyone posts IC, but I may declare it dead before long.  :-(

Phaia

well darn I had considered someone like this based off evie from ' The Mummy'

Phaia

https://youtu.be/VbuzXzVOJxg

wigglebiscuit

I haven't given up on this, I just thought some other peeps were working on characters.

Are we still on?

Captain Whitebread

I wasn't aware the IC  thread was up and open.  I've posted to get the ball rolling.

Jaded

If people are still interested we can continue. 

Could you expand on your character concept a bit Phaia?

Captain Whitebread

What more do you need to know?  She's a librarian.....  lol