Masks of Destiny-Interest Check (DnD 3.5)

Started by MzNurse, April 29, 2011, 12:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MzNurse

((I started this game once, but then real life jumped up and slapped me down and pinned me to the ground for a good while. I'm back and I'd like to start over--fresh start, fresh players, fresh characters))

The Masks of Destiny

The masks were created long ago by the Teng, a race of powerful sorcerers. The Teng had come to fear the greatest among them, who was named Xoth. Xoth had become too powerful even for a race of sorcerers. His nearest rivals could not come near to matching him in power.

A plan was devised that would drain away the powers of Xoth and his conspirators would gain them. 8 masks were created, one for each of the schools of magic. Each mask would drain away the properties of that school of magic from Xoth, leaving him powerless before his enemies.

However they underestimated Xoth's powers, he was caught unaware but not completely helpless. A titanic battle occurred with the sorcerers making use of the power they drained from Xoth. In the end Xoth was seemingly destroyed, but his enemies had themselves been absorbed by the masks leaving them mindless husks.

The masks were considered to be defective and cursed, by Xoth's dying words. So they were hid away, never see the light of day, until the Teng were destroyed by a calamity seemingly unrelated but in truth brought on by the corpse-less mind of Xoth. His body was destroyed and much of his magic drained but he still maintained a shadowy existence in the astral planes. Xoth observed the Teng and deeming them unfit to live, manipulated events and natural disasters into destroying them. Xoth now seeks to return to the land of the living, but to do this the masks must be found and brought together through a special ritual. Then Xoth will step forward to reclaim the power lost to him. To this end Xoth has been trying to manipulate others by speaking to them through dreams and visions, claiming to be a god or demon of sorts.

**************************************************************************
I've been a PC for several years, but this will be my first go at actually being the DM. Please be patient and bear with me. The campaign I'd like to run doesn't actually begin until 3rd level, so I will run random adventures until then, more to let me get the hang of things before we get into the actual campaign. 

I'm not sure where this will be placed, as the sex content is up in the air at the moment.  Input on this would be greatly appreciated.

You should also be aware that this will not be a fast-moving game. I do have potential players that have never played DnD in any version before and are learning the game as I learn to DM. I'm a full-time nurse, full-time single mom of a high-maintainance teen, and a mentor here on E. I can promise to update at least twice weekly.

Please PM all character sheets, complete with background, to me. I'm also asking that you keep your character sheets private. I do have a reason for this.

Character creation:
1st level
races, classes, and feats from PHB only
Stats are 4d6, discard the lowest, reroll 1s. You may reroll the set once, but you must choose one of those sets.
Max gold and max hp.
Everyone starts with one free masterwork weapon, just because I said so.
No pointbuy, no gestalt.

*********************************************************************

At this point, we have:

Tess-Rogue (grovercjuk)
Sera-Barbarian (Shihong)
Phoenix-Rogue (Mysterica)
Ferix-Wizard (Phantom)
Aria-Paladin (AndyZ)
Davor-Cleric (Laughing Hyena)
Toohans-Bard (Tuckers)
Becca-Fighter (RubySlippers)
Marle-Bard (Delta)
Jetta-Fighter (Ixy)
Aramil-Wizard (Muse)
Baudhiel-Ranger (Ixy)

I'll be starting with more than the usual amount of players, and I'm doing this for two reasons. The first, in my experience, there are a lot of dropouts after the first few battles. The second: if everyone sticks around, you'll want those extra players later when we start getting into the meat of this campaign.
Mz's O.O   Mz's Downtimes   Story Ideas  Open for a few new rps. PM me.

Laughing Hyena

Darryen

Laughing Hyena

And since I was one of those who was with you... Im in as well.

AndyZ

Bookmarked.  Here's the set of rolls I'm going to keep

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Roll Result: AndyZ rolled: 4d6      15
Comment:
Result: 4, 2, 5, 6,
Total: 17

Roll Result: AndyZ rolled: 4d6      13
Comment:
Result: 2, 1, 6, 5,
Total: 14

Roll Result: AndyZ rolled: 1d6
Comment:
Result: 2,
Total: 2

Comment:
Result: 6, 4, 5, 3,
Total: 18

Roll Result: AndyZ rolled: 4d6      16
Comment:
Result: 2, 6, 5, 5,

Roll Result: AndyZ rolled: 4d6      11
Comment:
Result: 5, 3, 2, 3,
Total: 13

Roll Result: AndyZ rolled: 4d6      14
Comment:
Result: 4, 5, 5, 2,
Total: 16

It took me a bit to figure out how to work the dice roller, and I'm still confused a bit in some areas, but the end result is this: 15, 13, 15, 16, 11, 14

I will probably do paladin unless somebody wants that role.

Paladin can be a bit strange for sexual, but the general agreement for that for anything I've read is that there's nothing requiring paladins to be chaste but they shouldn't womanize or go out of their way to break hearts or such.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: AndyZ on April 30, 2011, 05:56:39 AM
Bookmarked.  Here's the set of rolls I'm going to keep

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Comment:
Result: 4, 2, 5, 6,
Total: 17

Roll Result: AndyZ rolled: 4d6      13
Comment:
Result: 2, 1, 6, 5,
Total: 14

Roll Result: AndyZ rolled: 1d6
Comment:
Result: 2,
Total: 2

Comment:
Result: 6, 4, 5, 3,

Roll Result: AndyZ rolled: 4d6      16
Comment:
Result: 2, 6, 5, 5,

Roll Result: AndyZ rolled: 4d6      11
Comment:
Result: 5, 3, 2, 3,
Total: 13

Roll Result: AndyZ rolled: 4d6      14
Comment:
Result: 4, 5, 5, 2,
Total: 16

It took me a bit to figure out how to work the dice roller, and I'm still confused a bit in some areas, but the end result is this: 15, 13, 15, 16, 11, 14

I will probably do paladin unless somebody wants that role.

Paladin can be a bit strange for sexual, but the general agreement for that for anything I've read is that there's nothing requiring paladins to be chaste but they shouldn't womanize or go out of their way to break hearts or such.

The Book of Erotic Fantasy is a good guideline for alignment and how paladins are within relationships. Hell they can have a very good sex life following it as well.

Mysterica

I think I could be interested in joining the game.  I'll just have to try and find a pdf for my phone as my hard copy of my character sheet has disappeared.

MzNurse

Hyena! Good to see you back! I'll need you to revamp your character, since there's no gestalt in this game.

Muse, it would be my honor. Just remember I'm a new DM and this is my first time, so be gentle...

Mysterica and AndyZ, Myth-Weavers has a really well done set of character sheets if you need them.

Darryen, *hugs* I'm really glad you're here! Drag Dalar in...

Crovonovin

I would be happy to join a game with a new GM!  I know being a player doesn't always translate perfectly to being the person in charge of the plot, but everyone has to start somewhere and you certainly seem to know exactly what you're getting into!

Just to keep things simple, I think I'll be a nice 'ole meatshield Barbarian!  And golly, I rolled three 16s!  In a row, even!

[1] [2] [3]

Delta Echo

*hugs Mz and Darryen*

Yay, this is back! :D
Hmmm, what to do, what to do...
*ponders*
O&O - A&A
Southern Gentleman of the Arcadia Clan.

"When the world is against you, find the passion of love to survive"

Crovonovin

Reading over the premise again, I'm reminded of a question I should have asked right off!  Is this an entirely original setting, or set in one of the canonical universes? 

If it's original, do you think you could give a broad overview of the types of people that might be living in it?  I only bring this up because, being a barbarian, I'd like to see what my options are for being raised in uncivilized lands.

RubySlippers

Sounds like fun I also couldn't figure out how to re-roll 1's on the thing they could make it easy click here to re-roll 1's or something. Anyway using the second set of rolls: 10, 10, 11, 12, 14 and 16 not awesome but not bad either.

I'm doing a female human fighter if that is ok?

Laughing Hyena

Hellion000

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on April 30, 2011, 06:32:51 AM
The Book of Erotic Fantasy is a good guideline for alignment and how paladins are within relationships. Hell they can have a very good sex life following it as well.

I'd like to point out that MzNurse has asked that all character building happen using only materials taken from the core PHB. Having said that, using the BoEF as flavor and source material for playing recommendations is fine, but no Feats, Items, or what have you should wind up on the character sheet.

Also, for those of you who don't know me, I'm Hellion, and I'll be assisting MzNurse in her endeavors.

Crovonovin

Always good to see two DMs working together!  Unless it's a conspiracy against the stalwart heroes. 

Hmm...

Anyway, perhaps you can answer my question then!  Did MzNurse relay any information to you concerning the setting?  I basically have my sheet completed with some relevant information concerning my character's origins, but it always pays to check anyway.

Hellion000

She was... let me check my Yahoo logs.

EDIT: I almost got distracted by insanely hot scenes, but... I wasn't able to find anything that detailed the setting beyond what's already on this page.

My advice then, is to avoid anything that's unique to any of the canon settings. If you have to pick an established city name or something, just be as generic as possible in the details so that you can edit it if needed. (IE: Being prepared to switch "Waterdeep" for "Greyhawk" or vice versa.)

Mysterica

Crovonovin

Alright then, I've sent my sheet on to MzNurse for critique. 

And thank goodness someone's jumping on the rogue right off.  I can't think of a more crucial role than the trap monkey nimble-fingered rapscallion!

Hellion000

Just wanted to make it known...

I give bonus XP to ladies who show me their boobs.

PhantomPistoleer

It this isn't full, I'd also like to join.

But please let me know soon if it's full full.

Edit:  I remember being in the first one very, very briefly.  o_o

BTW:  I'm interested in playing either a wizard or a cleric.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Delta Echo

Pondering something psionic, if permissible?

1, 2, 5, 5, 1, 5 = 15
4, 6, 3, 3 = 13
1, 1, 3, 6, 2, 3 = 12
1, 5, 1, 2, 6, 6 = 17
4, 4, 1, 2, 1, 3 = 11
2, 6, 1, 5, 1, 1, 3 = 14
O&O - A&A

Hellion000

Quote from: Delta Echo on April 30, 2011, 10:43:31 PM
Pondering something psionic, if permissible?

1, 2, 5, 5, 1, 5 = 15
4, 6, 3, 3 = 13
1, 1, 3, 6, 2, 3 = 12
1, 5, 1, 2, 6, 6 = 17
4, 4, 1, 2, 1, 3 = 11
2, 6, 1, 5, 1, 1, 3 = 14

DE, as much as I love psions, the head DM has decided on corebook (PHB1) only material for now. Multiclassing might open up as an option later though.

Delta Echo

Oh, right, missed that...  :-[

Hmm. Bard possibly...
O&O - A&A

Laughing Hyena

Ooooh that is right. I do love Psychic warriors. Still if the corebook is all I have for now then its all i have.

Hellion000

(I was kidding about the breasts thing. *laughs* It's kind of a running gag. I'm to honest to do something like that.)

Mysterica

Yeah, it is too bad all we have is the players handbook.  otherwise I would probably make a dragon shaman from players handbook II.

Crovonovin

I imagine, this being MzNurse's first time DMing, that she just wants to keep things nice and simple.  I can hardly fault her for that.  Maybe once we get a bit further along she'll be a bit more comfortable opening up more advanced options, but for now I'm content to work with core.

Laughing Hyena

Mysterica

Difficult choice...  more spells per day, or bigger spells learned faster...  have fun with that choice.

Laughing Hyena

Hmm.. I think a lot of people would pick having more spells per day then a wider selection per day in my book

AndyZ

From what I remember, the sorcerer and the wizard varied in that the sorcerer was more of a cannon, and the wizard was more of a swiss-army knife.

The wizard had a lot of combat spells that they could collect, sure, but they were also more of a utility person.  Need someone teleported?  Need a curse broken?  Need to switch planes?  You want to have a wizard available.

However, I've been in many games where you simply didn't need any of that stuff, and in a PHB-only game, sorcerers will probably have enough spell options to pick up everything necessary at any given time, if a bit behind schedule of the wizard.

I was originally thinking sorcerer but I'd love to try a paladin again.  It's one of the few things that I prefer how 3e did it to 4e.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

RubySlippers

All the sorceror needs to do for utility is load up on wands alot of basic spells are also not high level that would fall into that a Wand of Identify is cheap and would pay for itself in no time.

Crovonovin

What quest against evil is complete without a Paladin anyway?

grovercjuk

Hi all.
           I am playing a rogue, nice and simple class.

Mysterica

Interesting...  two rogues...  I suppose we could both be on one side of an enemy and kill an enemy without even them being able to think about fighting back with two rogues sneak attacking.

RubySlippers

Rogues are not all the same maybe one is a keen eared spy and socially gifted.

Crovonovin

Exactly.  There are so many possibilities for a rogue that it's quite nearly mind-boggling.  Humble pick pocket street urchin, or master assassin?  Nimble-fingered acrobat, or elegant noble with a gift for the sword?  Fleet-footed thug, or greedy thief?  With all those skill points it becomes quite easy to build drastically different characters with different bodies of knowledge and ability at their disposal.

Hellion000

Grover, Myst...

If you really want to maximize the bang for the buck potential of a rogue, one of you should switch from rogue to monk.

Nothing says "I love you, bad guys." like the good old 'stunning fist' 'flanking, sneak attack' combo.

grovercjuk

Hmm I have built Tess as a sneaky breaking and entering type, move quietly, disable traps and open locks kind of girl. Although she does have a high charisma to allow her to charm guards.

Mysterica

Well, I might have changed it up a bit, probably to a druid, but I've already made the character, written the backstory, and sent along both

grovercjuk

Although there is nothing to say that a party cannot have two rogues.

Hellion000

Two rogues in the party is actually a good thing.

If you look at the skills available to the rogue, they have the highest percentage of legitimately useful skills. So many, in fact, that no one rogue can really shine at all of them. A party with two rogues allows one rogue to Dex focus and the other to Cha focus, with both of them seconding into Int. That splits the work, and thus increases the effectiveness of both rogues.

RubySlippers

My character is mostly done one thing about fighters they are not complex to do at 1st level.

Mysterica

Oh aye.  20 dex, 17 cha, and a 16 int for me.  Then I took the weapon finesse feat to work with my masterwork shortsword and I am fairly martial capable.anyone else wonder why a dagger is slashing or piercing damage, while a shortsword is only piercing?

Yeah.  Higher lvl ones though can be difficult though...  so many feat choices!

grovercjuk

Probably because they based it on the Roman Legionary sword about 2 foot long and designed for stabbing not slashing.

And if your char is a fighter type rogue they could work together quite well as Tess had taken feats to improve her thieving skills

Muse

Hm.... 

Cleric is always the hardest too do until you know the pantheon.  I was going to offer a wizard, but if we're short on cleric/druid type... 

Well, let me see what the dice say. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Mysterica

Yeah.  I still might slightly alter my skill choices to try and make some other likely differences.

Hellion000

Quote from: grovercjuk on May 01, 2011, 04:06:22 PM
Probably because they based it on the Roman Legionary sword about 2 foot long and designed for stabbing not slashing.

And if your char is a fighter type rogue they could work together quite well as Tess had taken feats to improve her thieving skills

Short swords in D and D are based on the Gladius Hispaniensis, which is one of 4 types of Roman auxiliary weapons issued to legionnaires. It's a short hilted tapered point blade with the fulcrum closer to the pommel than the apex of the blade, which makes it specifically designed for straight line thrusts; whereas daggers have a center of gravity (fulcrum) that sits in the middle, making them balanced for thrusting or slashing; and longswords are based on European blades roughly 40 inches or so long with a fulcrum about 3 to 5 inches back from the apex of the blade, making them ideal slashing weapons.

(Thus ends the mechanical breakdown lesson!)

RubySlippers

And greatswords are eight pounds of razor sharp metal weighted on the blade for powerful arcing swinging slashes, similar to the Scottish Claymore. And yes its not a subtle blade it makes a statement you attack me your going to get hurt! grrrrrrrrrrr

;D

MzNurse

Dear Gods...Take a day to spend with the grandbabies and this thread explodes!  Thanks, Hellion, for stepping in.

Shihong, your character and background were wonderful!

At this point, we have:

Tess-Rogue (grovercjuk)
Sera-Barbarian (Shihong)
Ferix-Wizard (Phantom)
Aria-Paladin (AndyZ)

I'll be starting with more than the usual amount of players, and I'm doing this for two reasons. The first, in my experience, there are a lot of dropouts after the first few battles, exp. The second: if everyone sticks around, you'll want those extra players later when we start getting into the meat of this campaign.

I'd like to get this game up and running by Friday, so any character sheets/alterations need to be in by then.

Mysterica

Sounds good.  I look forward to the game.

Muse

https://elliquiy.com/forums/dicebot.php?u=0

6, 5, 4, 2   =15
6, 4, 2, 2   =12
6, 5, 4, 3   =15
6, 5, 3, 2   =14
6, 5, 4, 2   =15

I can do a lot with these stats... 

I'll bring a druid who heals and staff fights.  :) 

Crovonovin

Excellent!  I'm really looking forward to it.

PhantomPistoleer

I'm awaiting for a particular confirmation.

I have a question:  we get a MW weapon, but can we sell it back for half money before game-start, or is that not possible until after the game starts?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Laughing Hyena

I doubt that would be allowed. I certainly would not allow that.

On the other side of the coin I notice that no one has a cleric for a class. For shame.... Anyway I'll take care of that. My sheet shall be ready by tonight

RubySlippers

My sheet will be in today had some internet issues.

MzNurse

Phantom, you'll have to sell that first chance we get in game.

Ruby, take you time, honey. I understand rl and internet glitches.

Hyena, your cleric looks good.

tuckers02

MzNurse

tuckers02

tuckers02

Hey ya'll I'll be your new useless Bard.  Just please don't killjack me :p

Sorry, inside joke.

AndyZ

Not very inside.  We made the same jokes about bards back when I used to play 3.5 a lot.

My character will try to be your friend though...unless you're evil.

Mysterica

Come on now...  not useless...  bardic knowledge is very handy!

PhantomPistoleer

Wait a minute.  We have two rogues, a wizard, a bard and a paladin?

Ha ha ha.  We're going to get killed.

NM:  I didn't realize we also had a barbarian.  We should be okay. :D
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Laughing Hyena

Yes its a knowledge skill without the skill points. :-)

And you also have a cleric. >_<

tuckers02

Quote from: AndyZ on May 07, 2011, 07:34:32 PM
Not very inside.  We made the same jokes about bards back when I used to play 3.5 a lot.

My character will try to be your friend though...unless you're evil.

We had a 7th level bard in our group that got pwned by a lvl 1 commoner in a one on one battle.  We all laughed our asses off.

And no, not evil.  Chaotic good.  I think you'll like him.

AndyZ

Play what you're going to enjoy.  We won't kill you for being useless.  At least, the paladin won't...

Laughing Hyena

tuckers02

Hee hee.  A Gnome Bard.  After 10 minutes, even the paladin will want to kill me  :P

Crovonovin

Just don't get in between my sword and the things I shove my sword into and I'm sure we'll get along famously!   ;D

PhantomPistoleer

Aww, man... he's a gnome bard, everyone.  ;_;

Why?!
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

tuckers02

Cause Gnomes are awesome and Bards are awful.  So I figured I'd come out average.

Ixy

I submitted a character idea, will send a second one just in case the first won't fit properly.  Hope it works out :)

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

MzNurse

I wanted to get this started a few days ago, but forgot that this is the beginning of May. (from May 1 to May 17, I have 9 birthdays, 2 anniversaries, and Mother's Day.) Was a little busier than I thought, but I'm gonna try to get this up today.

Tess-Rogue (grovercjuk)
Sera-Barbarian (Shihong)
Ferix-Wizard (Phantom)
Aria-Paladin (AndyZ)
Davor-Cleric (Laughing Hyena)
Toohans-Bard (Tuckers)
Becca-Fighter (RubySlippers)
Marle-Bard (Delta)
Jetta-Fighter (Ixy)
Aramil-Wizard (Muse)
Baudhiel-Ranger (Ixy)

Looks like we have a pretty well rounded out group, with a couple pairs each of muscle, cunning, arcane, and divine.  And I really didn't see any useless characters.

Also, please verify that you have read and agree to The Oath of Drake.

grovercjuk

MzNurse