iPhone users.

Started by Remy, January 20, 2014, 10:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remy

I hope it's ok to put a question forward here that's none E related.  If it's in the wrong area, please move.

Basically, I have synced my iPhone4 to my Kindle allowing me read whenever I like.  But I sometimes allow my daughter use my iPhone as I've music on it she likes, but I also have a lot of material in the Kindle library that I don't want her to see.   Is there a way to password the kindle ap on the iphone?  I've tried googling, but my question is showing no relevant results.  Thank you .

Jag

Not at this time.

EDIT: It's time consuming, but an option is to delete the app and then redownload it when she's done playing on the iPhone.

I recommend contacting or emailing amazon customer service and letting them know that it's something you would like. We have a specific process to go through for feedback.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Maeven

I don't know if this will work but if you have the newer iOS, you can enable restrictions in General setting. Then there's a section on Allowed Content - Books. You can switch off Sexual Content.  This may be just for iBooks though so it may not work in the Kindle.

Let me know if it does work for your Kindle app.   
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Blitzy

See if you can download a generic App lock program. I have it on my phone (though I have a Droid) and I can pick and choose which apps it locks.
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Remy

Quote from: Jagerin on January 20, 2014, 10:41:16 AM
Not at this time.

EDIT: It's time consuming, but an option is to delete the app and then redownload it when she's done playing on the iPhone.

I recommend contacting or emailing amazon customer service and letting them know that it's something you would like. We have a specific process to go through for feedback.

thank you J, I actually never thought if that.  I'll email them soon as Im on the laptop and not the phone.   

As for deleting the app and then reinstalling, its just not something that would work for me to be honest. ..but thank you. :-)

Remy

Quote from: Maeven on January 20, 2014, 12:18:45 PM
I don't know if this will work but if you have the newer iOS, you can enable restrictions in General setting. Then there's a section on Allowed Content - Books. You can switch off Sexual Content.  This may be just for iBooks though so it may not work in the Kindle.

Let me know if it does work for your Kindle app.

I've got the newer update Maeven, but unless I'm doing it wrong, it's only applying to the ibooks as you've said.  But thank you also. :-)

Remy

Quote from: Blitzy on January 20, 2014, 12:25:19 PM
See if you can download a generic App lock program. I have it on my phone (though I have a Droid) and I can pick and choose which apps it locks.

got so excited about this...but alas it seems to only lock downloaded apps that contain music or videos or pictures, but it's not including any other apps, including Kindle.  But thank you so much for trying. :-)

Jag

Quote from: Remy on January 20, 2014, 03:35:41 PM

thank you J, I actually never thought if that.  I'll email them soon as Im on the laptop and not the phone.   

As for deleting the app and then reinstalling, its just not something that would work for me to be honest. ..but thank you. :-)

To be honest, you're not the first kindle app user to suggest that. But they don't take feedback overly serious till we actually get a number of people requesting it. I always tell people to pester us till it gets done. That's how we got a bluetooth keyboard for the kindles and wireless printing options for the kindles.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Valthazar

Easy solution is to "hide" the Kindle app so that it cannot be accessed readily.

http://lifehacker.com/hide-apps-in-ios-7-with-this-trick-1349955784

When you want to access the app, just go over to the spotlight, and search "kindle" and it will come up.

This isn't foolproof though, but will probably make the app harder to access.

Remy

Quote from: ValthazarElite on January 20, 2014, 09:34:38 PM
Easy solution is to "hide" the Kindle app so that it cannot be accessed readily.

http://lifehacker.com/hide-apps-in-ios-7-with-this-trick-1349955784

When you want to access the app, just go over to the spotlight, and search "kindle" and it will come up.

This isn't foolproof though, but will probably make the app harder to access.

HI Val, and thank you!   I actually did it as soon as you posted.  Unfortunately my  phone has just updated again, and rebooted, ..and everything came right back out lol.  I'll do it again later and we'll see how long until it updates again.  But for now it's the best I have.  Thank you so much.x

Psi

I was about to suggest application restrictions but I just checked the kindle app and its 4+..  most apps for kids are likely to be higher than that, so restrictions wont work.

Long term, assuming you can afford it,  as I know this isn't an option for many - would be to consider getting your daughter her own ipod touch, or even a nano for the music.

I wish iOS supported dual levels of access and have requested it before, but nothing has happened yet along those lines.
I am often demo'ing stuff on my devices but have to be careful at times - such as when E is open in safari.

Remy

Quote from: Psi on January 21, 2014, 06:05:13 AM
I was about to suggest application restrictions but I just checked the kindle app and its 4+..  most apps for kids are likely to be higher than that, so restrictions wont work.

Long term, assuming you can afford it,  as I know this isn't an option for many - would be to consider getting your daughter her own ipod touch, or even a nano for the music.

I wish iOS supported dual levels of access and have requested it before, but nothing has happened yet along those lines.
I am often demo'ing stuff on my devices but have to be careful at times - such as when E is open in safari.

She has her own ipod touch..but different itunes accounts out devices, so she cant access the music on my account without losing what's on her ipod..or at least thats what's happened when she's tried to put some of my stuff on hers.  Honestly don't know as i'm not that savy on this stuff.  But thank you and my emails have been sent to Amazon customer care both last night and this morning as I spend a small fortune with them on kindle books, and I think it's the least they can do to offer a security measure on their app.

Thank you also Psi.x

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Remy on January 21, 2014, 07:09:43 AM
She has her own ipod touch..but different itunes accounts out devices, so she cant access the music on my account without losing what's on her ipod..or at least thats what's happened when she's tried to put some of my stuff on hers.  Honestly don't know as i'm not that savy on this stuff.  But thank you and my emails have been sent to Amazon customer care both last night and this morning as I spend a small fortune with them on kindle books, and I think it's the least they can do to offer a security measure on their app.

Thank you also Psi.x

don't know about music.. but my dad has managed to totally mangle my mom's iPhone with his apps and hers. Seriously took some time to fix.

Psi

Quote from: Remy on January 21, 2014, 07:09:43 AM

Thank you also Psi.x

How long ago was this music purchased music?   iTunes Music purchased since early 2009 has been DRM free, and for some labels even longer.

You can copy the raw files from your iTunes Library into hers, and it will then syncronise along with her music.

Go into your Music Folder > iTunes Library > iTunes Media > Music.   
You can then copy the folders containing the music you want to share on both libraries and then on her computer / account, import it into her itunes.

From the sounds of it, she plugged her iPod into YourComputer/User Account while your version of iTunes was running and tried to syncronise that, which is why hers would act up.   But if you copy the content from one library to another you don't face that issue.

Remy

I actually didn't know about the 2009 thing.  I'll have to have a good sit down with the itunes account, as there's some newer and older things..mostly new though.    But I'll have a look and see.   Lot of stuff to have to do when it would be so easily  solved if the kindle app just came with a pw! :-)