What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

But suffice to say that non-dev builds don't have that function (and he'd still have to pull up the code at the right time to see this variable).

Seriously - a variable name is just a way for a programmer to keep track of what numbers are being sent where.  It could be called 'Fred' for all it matters.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

People love a painted target, and Left 4 Dead Island (and by extension Techland) is just that right now. People are hating the game and will take any reason to beat down on it. So a coder calling the strong female character doing a 'mans job' a 'feminist whore' is like blood in the water.

Hemingway

Because the quality of a game totally depends on the attitudes of the people who made it.

I mean, I don't know how people are reacting to the game, the sort of reviews it's gotten and the reactions from people. But I'm willing to bet they're bad. Because when do gamers and reviewers ever have anything good to say? I mean, reviewers have good things to say when the games are major titles. If they're from someone small and unknown, they have to be really good. If Dead Island had an Infinity Ward logo on the cover, it would probably be getting scores of 85 instead of 71 ( Metascore for the 360 version, which for some reasons has ten times the number of reviews as the PC version. PC version does have a better score, though. ).

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 08, 2011, 07:31:07 PM
Because the quality of a game totally depends on the attitudes of the people who made it.

I mean, I don't know how people are reacting to the game, the sort of reviews it's gotten and the reactions from people. But I'm willing to bet they're bad. Because when do gamers and reviewers ever have anything good to say? I mean, reviewers have good things to say when the games are major titles. If they're from someone small and unknown, they have to be really good. If Dead Island had an Infinity Ward logo on the cover, it would probably be getting scores of 85 instead of 71 ( Metascore for the 360 version, which for some reasons has ten times the number of reviews as the PC version. PC version does have a better score, though. ).
Er... yes, actually it does. There is such a thing as professionalism. Personally, I think beyond the guy being a tool there's not a lot more that can be said. It was a pretty tasteless thing to do.

Oh, and ironically Game Informer gave Dead Island (L4DI:TB. Just giving Sabby his props.) an 8.5 even though I don't particularly care for Turi myself.
I don't hate Dead Island but I'm not about to hand over my cash to what I think would be a sub-par experience. Still, I'm just amazed that so much has gone wrong so quickly. Seriously, if they said Dead Island caused all the strife in the Middle East tomorrow, I'd believe it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

I don't care what you say..I'm watching some Let's plays of Dead Island tonight and then buying it tomorrow. <3..

Along with Civ 5, since Steam has it for 12.50 right now, and Rock of Ages because I like to smash shit with giant rocks.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on September 08, 2011, 10:10:51 PM
I don't care what you say..I'm watching some Let's plays of Dead Island tonight and then buying it tomorrow. <3..

Along with Civ 5, since Steam has it for 12.50 right now, and Rock of Ages because I like to smash shit with giant rocks.
I have no more disposable income. I spent the last of it paying off my Skyrim pre-order, and since I don't know which off-the-back-of-the-truck dealer Sabby uses to get all his games so cheap I'm going to have to read the pile of literature that's on my nightstand I guess.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

And the Zombies get even less Zombish. Look at that giant Zombie! He sounds like the Hulk, and he's slow! He must be strong. Gosh, I don't wanna be too close to that. I'll just clonk him on the head and back back! That will teach him.

Nope, didn't work. Hey, my jaws not supposed to be at that angle? Well if the head won't work, where am I supposed to hit this mythological creature that is predominantly defined by it's cranial weakness?

Oh, THE ARMS! OF COURSE!

Loving the game, it's fun, and theres so much to rip on xD

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on September 09, 2011, 06:14:59 AM
And the Zombies get even less Zombish. Look at that giant Zombie! He sounds like the Hulk, and he's slow! He must be strong. Gosh, I don't wanna be too close to that. I'll just clonk him on the head and back back! That will teach him.

Nope, didn't work. Hey, my jaws not supposed to be at that angle? Well if the head won't work, where am I supposed to hit this mythological creature that is predominantly defined by it's cranial weakness?

Oh, THE ARMS! OF COURSE!

Loving the game, it's fun, and theres so much to rip on xD
There's no way I'd ever take down a Hulk-zombie with a melee weapon anyway. There's a reason the military uses tanks for the original and not even they work.

Arms, yes, everyone knows all the vital organs are in the arms after the zombification process. Now where's the she-zombie you have o kick in the cajones?

Wolfy

Gosh, by how sabby talked I didn't think he was actually playing the game, I thought he had just written it off with cynicism and annoyance and left it to die. :/

Sabby

Pfft. I have issues with the games sudden and jarring change of direction during it's development, and loath the reasoning for that change, but I'd be cheating myself out of a good game if I let that keep me from playing it.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on September 09, 2011, 06:57:05 AM
Pfft. I have issues with the games sudden and jarring change of direction during it's development, and loath the reasoning for that change, but I'd be cheating myself out of a good game if I let that keep me from playing it.

Sabby? Admitting something is a....good game?

Next he's going to tell me he doesn't want to take me behind the bushes. D:

Wolfy

『ペルソナ4 ジ・アルティメット イン マヨナカアリーナ』PV

@_@ A persona fighting game by the same people that made BlazBlue and Guilty Gear?

if this comes to the states, I'm buying two copies.

One to play, and one to have sex with. @_@

Sabby

I see this with so many 2D fighters... so, you can throw a third A.I controlled character into the mix for a little bit? That just looks plain annoying. I'm fine with the character popping in for a special move and jumping out, but what I saw there was one character sandwiched between two getting hit repeatedly and unable to respond.

I don't understand fighting games. They just look like frustrating button mashers. Plus I hate Persona, so I'll be avoiding this one like a rod of unshielded plutonium.

Wyrd

Quote from: Wolfy on September 09, 2011, 08:54:38 AM
『ペルソナ4 ジ・アルティメット イン マヨナカアリーナ』PV

@_@ A persona fighting game by the same people that made BlazBlue and Guilty Gear?

if this comes to the states, I'm buying two copies.

One to play, and one to have sex with. @_@

Hahaha! That looks Horrible!
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

I hate Japan so much right now.

Cathrine... God if I didn't have anything new to play I would quit. However, I've already taken down Deus EX: HR twice and I just have nothing else. The game is so bad. I would love to tell you the whole point to the story, but I'm afraid no one would believe me. It's terrible.

The final boss is a long ass one and he can kill you seven ways to Sunday and impede your path like nobody's business. What's better is they give you a real early checkpoint, but I have yet to see the next one. I got tired of playing it, it's long and boring. What made me just flip the game off though was the boss decided to do one of his attacks while I was running across a spike block to disarm it. Usually, you go right across and you have a normal block that won't kill you. No, the boss stops my running cold when he does an attack so I end up dying and having to start all the way back down at the checkpoint.

I have entered that calm, cool level of unfathomable gamer rage.

Wyrd

Are you surprised? Japan has not produced a decent game since Shadow of the Colossus. :P In my opinion anyways 
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on September 09, 2011, 04:21:17 PM
Are you surprised? Japan has not produced a decent game since Shadow of the Colossus. :P In my opinion anyways
They don't really have the constant drive like Western society to be original (whether you believe originality is still possible is irrelevant) Japan is a nation of refiners and traditionalists. They don't look at cliches, and long running games without much change the same way. They like to improve, but not necessarily create anew.

I'm not saying a unique and interesting Japanese game is not out there. They just don't see it the way the rest of the industry does. It's why Resident Evil took so long to change the formula. It's why the first five Final Fantasy games are basically reusing the same general story. 

Hemingway

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on September 09, 2011, 04:30:38 PM
They don't really have the constant drive like Western society to be original

Quote from: HemingwayI'm about to fire up SPESS MEHREHN.

I lol'd. Literally lol'd.

Hemingway

SPESS MEHREENS. THERE IS NO TIME TO BE ORIGINAL.

Edit: Space Marine is ... a game about how awesome Space Marines are. And they are. I mean, you can't treat WH40K as something serious, but I can appreciate the badassness of ... well, a planet is overrun by Orks, and the solution is to send Space Marines. Three Space Marines. It's like ... I mean, the sheer absurdity of it is awesome.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 09, 2011, 04:40:55 PM
SPESS MEHREENS. THERE IS NO TIME TO BE ORIGINAL.

Edit: Space Marine is ... a game about how awesome Space Marines are. And they are. I mean, you can't treat WH40K as something serious, but I can appreciate the badassness of ... well, a planet is overrun by Orks, and the solution is to send Space Marines. Three Space Marines. It's like ... I mean, the sheer absurdity of it is awesome.
Or in my case extremely laughable.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on September 09, 2011, 06:40:04 PM
Or in my case extremely laughable.

You wouldn't be laughing if the Angels of Death came for you.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 09, 2011, 06:48:58 PM
You wouldn't be laughing if the Angels of Death came for you.
If they're as over-blown as the Space Marines. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I would be.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on September 09, 2011, 07:16:18 PM
If they're as over-blown as the Space Marines. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I would be.

Tsk, tsk. Space Marines are, among other things, known as the Angels of Death. Which just adds to the badassness!

Wolfy

Hemingway.

You, Me, Space Marine's Multiplayer.

Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Victory.

Be there or be Square.