Looking for some High Fantasy?

Started by Zelric Miras, June 20, 2010, 11:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zelric Miras

My interest thread Maybe you will find something you like.

I want to start a group roleplay in a high fantasy world with some technology here and there. My intention is mostly to explore the world I've been devoloping for a book I'm writing, so most of the social and geographical things are set. The setting is quite clear, but not so much the plot. There are many ideas dancing around my head but I'm afraid I can't bring them to full form. I would rather it be freeform, since my experience with systems is somewhat lacking although we could include a costumized dice system for battles and important interactions. I do have a set base of aspects and traits and what not(player's handbook) for a system roleplay, set in that world, so if it is more appealing we could use it. It is quite general so it can be adapted to any race or character you come up with.

The roleplay would take place in the realm of Zelia, a series of interwoven dimensional planes that extend over three planets. There are autoctonous both sentient and not sentient races around as well as large highly developed citadels and cities, along with minor towns and encampments.

Anyone up for it? I'll post a brief description of the world later, I have to tweak it a bit, including the basic aspects in politics, economy, races, locations and other useful information.

Information added!

Brief note. Zelia was created by a technologically advanced race. The clash between the apparent lack of advanced technology and the underlaying truth is due to that race’s desire to return to simpler times while retaining the commodities. They also lacked magic in their world so when they arrived at Zelia it opened a full world of posibilities.

What you really need to know: Nothing. Much of the details and information of the world will develop or show themselves up as we go. Most of the roleplay will develop in a high fantasy setting. Technology is just a background fact that some consider and others don't and during most of the roleplay will be seen as magic or it won't be around.

The world we'll move in:
(prepare for a text wall)
Originally Zelia was a multidimensional surprise basket, it was just a place outside the time-space continuum where many dimensional portals opened and closed spontaneously. One of these portals were stabilized by an ancient race and using the energy from the random portals created Zelia, then they stabilized all portals in the planet and created a society from the many races of the different dimensions. There's a legend that says that a powerful entity appeared later and dismantled it and recreated everything from scratch, giving it the shape it has now. The cosmogonic myth can be found at the end.

Currently it's divided into three sub-dimensional planes or aethers, called hro-Maruns, each takes the physical shape as a planet, which orbit the star Tenos. Each has it's own satellite and different orbits. Collision is impossible since the three are on different dimensional planes. The topography and geography is different on the three planets, each has a different distribution of the climates and resources as well. The travel between dimensional planes both inside and outside of Zelia is enabled by kils(portals), guarded by the Lunkin. More on the kils below.

The three hro-Marun

Marun Ails: Ails is the zelii term for positive, it is inhabited by the peaceful clans of the races. The most important specialized teaching centers are in this hro-Marun, as well as the religious centers of most races. The setlements range from encampments to small cities, with a few trade posts and economic centers along the way. The Ails Citadel is the only large settlement, having it's own castle and military. It is by far, the largest of the hro-Marun, it economical are activities are centered in the production of resources, such as farming and cultivating. The sustainabilty of these is aided by magic. Zelia itself is a living entity, so it’s resources both organic and inorganic have certain renovation rate. All activities take in consideration this rate to avoid damaging the balance.

Marun Andia: Andia is the zelii term for neutral, it is inhabited by the head houses of all the clans, although their permanent residence is located in either of the other hro-Maruns. Andia works as the political and administrative center of Zelia, the meeting halls of the clans and the main cities of the races are in this Marun. The settlements range from large citadels to cities, each build around a castle or stronghold and the largest have their own military. The Imperial Citadel is built in this hro-Marun. The strongholds of the four orders are located here as well. The Zelii Imperial Academy of Magic, Technology, Arts, Combat and Culture (IAMTACC), the most important teaching and research center in Zelia, is also located here. The economical activity is centered in natural resources that lie above ground.

Marun Emil: Emil is the zelii word for negative. Only the violent and warfaring clans live in this Marun. This hro-Marun was set as fighting grounds for the internal struggles between clans as well between races, when they can't be solved by diplomatic means. The later is quite common in some races. The economical activity is centered on the resources that lie below the ground.

Kils
There are many portals inter and intradimensional all around Zelia. All are guarded by Lunkins, the term means son of tree. These are somewhat related to trents since they are sentient trees. Although they are unable to uproot themselves. They lunkin are treated with respect and honored since they are the only race that can keep the portals in check and they all descend from the great tree that was planted to stabilize the portal through which the Ancients arrived.

Society
All major groups are mostly monotheist, most have many minor deities. There also a few minorities inside each group that are atheists, pantheists, deists or authotheists. The main cities of each race are usually half open to public with a regulated amount of visitors that do not belong to the race that controls it.

To make interaction within different species easier, all Zelii sentients have developed the ability to switch between humanoid and non humanoid forms; humanoid forms raging between 3m and 0,5m. This confused investigators as of where the lineage division stands, until genetic research was available. Some races even posses the ability to change their size in their non humanoid forms. This and the unability to shift are rare genetic conditions. Still there are races that prefer the non humanoid form or the humaniod form over the other form.

The

Basic Zelii Sentient Races
There's a rule when hunting, if it has 6 or more legs, doesn't talk and isn't poisonous, you can eat it. Most sentient have non sentient versions following the previous rule.

There are the 5 main Zelii laws:
-Respect for freewill, as long as it doesn't affect others welfare.
-Ensure the welfare of all inhabitants, regardless of their species or their place of origin.
-All Sentient creatures are equal in rights and duties.
-Respect for private property.
-Invaluability of life. Life is priceless and can't be replaced by anything.

Zelii words for the elements, most of the names are related to these:
Thunder: Ilgad   
Earth: Hak
Fire: Lin
Water: Kai
Air: Fad
Sound: Naij
Light: Il
Dark: Lid

*Shao-den:
They are the first beings of Zelia, ancestors of all races. They are the Diamond Unicorn and the Diamond Dragon. There's only one of each, their remains are enshrined in each of the capitals of the Drackun and Monoceri.

*Jin and Jintas:
The Jin with the Shao-den helped with the creation. Of all the races, they were elemental beings and eventually became one with the world. Their power lives on through the Jintas or elementals. There's one for each element and there's only one alive at any time of each element. Their gender alternates each generation. There are eight races distributed in 7 clans and two sub clans. The light and darkness are sub clans of the Nerevu or shapeless. The transmission of the power form one generation to the next is one of the major festivals in Zelia and it lasts eight days.

*Drakun: Descendants of Gold and Silver, first dragons, guardians of Zelia. It includes pure and bred. Drackun is the civilization name; Kirin is the term for dragons.
*Moven: Descendant of Ivory and Ebony, first unicorns, guardians of Zelia. It includes pure and bred. Monoceri is the civilization name; Moven is the term for unicorns.
*Mentah: The term means nature; it includes the lunkin (trents) and the Jinmentah (descendants of the jintas, nymphs and spirits of nature)
*Mitah: The term mean stone, it’s an ancient race that has remained unchanged and mostly unbred. They are beings made out of minerals and elements, some of them have more than one in them. They grow crystals of these all around them and shed them, just like humans shed skin. The most rare is the Rainde, as there is only one, the rainde is a diamond like crystal, except is more resistant, harder and has a rainbow shine to it.
*Kulen: Hominids, it includes Lundien (Elves), Hakdien (Dwarves and gnomes), Deldien (Humans and giants) and Jindien (Orcs, trolls, gremlins and related)
*Deren: They include all animal non human based creatures, although some have certain humanoid features. The first lines are
a) Shao-Ven (Horse lineage) which include the Ven (horse like), Ventauri (Centaurs) and Nigden (Sphinx). There are two Nigden lineages, the Fanigden (winged). And the Haknigden (not winged).
b) Chiat (pronounced she-at): Rodent lineage, pure and bred. It includes squirrels, beavers, rats and mice, porcupines (hedgehogs and equidnas) and bunnies. In three main groups: Hakchiat, Lunchiat and Fadchiat.
c) Dirnaj: All bat like creatures.
d) Kantus: Canids. Curious fact, scientists relate hyenas to felids. Groups:
Vix (foxes), Loup (wolves and descendants), Yeilt (Coyotes and jackals).
e) Katria: Felids. Dagun (Hyenas) and Katria (rest of felines) groups.
f) Avi: All avians. Rekkul (Phoenix), Kaiavi (Water birds) and Hakavi (Earth birds, include flying and non flying)
g) Ictel: Water based groups, Ictei (Non humanoid creatures with tail flukes), Kainaj (Humanoid Ictei). there are two non humanoid groups: The cetaceans and the sharks. Cetaceans include dolphins, whales and narwhal as sentient.
h) Edun: Mustelids.
i) Ursa: Bears
j) Kedden: Two groups, Hakkedden and Kaikedden. Crabs, shrimps, lobsters, spiders and scorpions.
k) It-hrai: Two groups, Kedit (Armadillos and pangolins) and Kanit (Raccoons, red pandas and skunks)
l) Dieth: Reptiles, three groups Hakdieht (Snakes), Kaidieht (crocodilians) and Kiridieht (Saurids).

The laws and morality are overlooked by sentient entities. They can asume physical bodies to guide the unsuspecting and depending on the area the hold power over every stone, plank and nail. That’s the official view of them. To those that have more knowledge of the technology, everything in Zelia that happens around places larger than small cities is run by A.I.’s. They are fully sentient and have their own rights and desires, still they are programmed solely to serve the organic lifeforms over their own interests. Still, there are some that have a more flexible programming than others. Many of the A.I.’s were once spirits associated to the region where the city was build. The opportunity to acquire a body led them to trade part of their freedom to bond them with magic to technology.

Military and politics
Zelia is currently a neutral independent empire, which is ruled by a high emperor/empress for all Zelia and a vice emperor/empress for each race. There are also governors, majors and clan heads to help with the administration. The government is ruled as a mixed form, the decisions are taken in each clan by the clan head, which is designated by the clan and can be removed if the clan thinks it’s necessary. The major rules over towns and cities in a semi anarchic way, they make sure everyone has the basic things for a decent live, aided by A.I.'s and the clan heads. A group of cities and towns is subject to a governor, which in turn subjects to the vice emperors and the chamber of ancients. The chamber of ancients is a group of the elders of each clan who takes decisions that affect all Zelia. Its president is the current emperor/empress.

Zelia has a few inter and intradimensional treaties. There are two mutual protection treaties and many commercial ones.

It posses a permanent military force ranging between 200 and 500 warriors. All of them are trained and highly skilled in all forms of elemental control, magic, technology and physical abilities. About a third of it is made up by females, although most are better than males in technology and magic areas. Each race has it’s own armed forces as well, but their numbers fluctuate constantly.

There are four main training centers for the military:

The IAMTACC: The Zelii Imperial Academy of Magic, Technology, Arts, Combat and Culture is the biggest and most important educational and research center in Zelia. The campus shares a valley with the Imperial Citadel, both being the largest structures in the area. Only the best teach there although everyone willing enough is admited, as long as they are able to keep up with the program. So far the drop out rate is around 5% of the total students. The IAMTACC is seen as a preparation for the Monoceri and the Drackun orders, since the outstanding students usually get invited to join either of them. It is located north of the Imperial Citadel, separated by dense forests with set roads and paths. Still it is quite dangerous to roam around at night.

The Drackun and the Monoceri Order: They form the main contigent of the armed forces, they are the top of the elite, only surpassed by the Entur Guard. Entrance is not easy, even those that are invited have to go through severe tests that evaluate knot only their skill and knoledge but thier very souls. Each has a Citadel located at the top of one of the tallest peaks in Andia. Both named after the orders. The peaks are the two meeting places of the three mountain ranges that form the triangular valley.  The third point is protected by a bay adn can only be accesed through ship or by the paths hidden in the mountains. Both orders are led by dragon and unicorns from the first generations, which are inmortal or extremely long living. So far none have died of old age.

The Entur Guard: The Entur Guard are the core of the armed forces and by far the strongest. To be accepted in it, you have to achieve the top ranks in both the Monoceri and the Drackun Orders. They are tasked with protecting the emperor and the Imperial Citadel, as well as being the first strike force during war. Their main function is maintaining the peace between the races in the Andia and Ails Maruns. The location of their citadel is unknown although there is a general porpouse base in the Imperial Citadel.

Economy.
Rainde flakes are used as basic coinage, together with gold and silver coins, both worth the same. Although you can find most things for free, luxuries are paid with Rainde. 1 flake is about $100, a big coin (size of a dollar coin) is worth 25, a medium is worth 5, and a small is worth 1. They’re approximate values, still the acquisition power is higher in Zelia since most commodities are free or quite cheap.The most expensive materials are those that are crafted since what is being paid is the value of the artisan’s work.

All trades are organized in guilds, some are legal and some aren’t, there are some trades that have legal and not legal guilds. The illegal guilds usually deal with obscure matters that from one viewpoint or another are seen as incorrect by the society.

Cosmogonic Myth, narrated by an old man
"This legend begins as many others, in the beginning there was nothing." said the old man's voice through the darkness, small wisps of flame moved about, they seemed to be stars in the pitch black room. "The ancients appeared and created the world, not as we know it but different, some say to resemble their own world. After that they saw their work was unstable, meek, mainly from being created by so many minds. They left it to slumber, lifeless, until someone with greater power answered to their summons.

The years became centuries as they waited, their power and essence in slumber. Then came forth Deltas, the Thinker, his mere thought created his first creature, a being born wise and ancient, so it would witness all that would happen. Still, he removed from him the great powers, so he wouldn't be able to change what he was going to create.

He was named Mereas, the mind, he would be the living memory of his work. Still Mereas was sad of losing the might he was born with, taking pity on him, Deltas gave him omniscience and immortality. He was also given an infinite memory and control over Kirieh, the essence of nature. "You will live amongst my other creatures and see for their well being. You will inhabit many bodies, yet none will be your own. With your wisdom you will lead the incipient sentients, yet you will receive no credit." Finally he joined his mind to Mereas' own so he would share his thoughts and knowledge.

Zelia arose next, the body. A world created from nothing, other than the essence of his thoughts. Yet Zelia was barren and dead, it needed a soul, and the Shao-den came to be, their bodies made from  diamond, the mighty dragon and the wise unicorn. He gave them power over life and death and immortality so they would endure time and serve as Sirea, the soul. He allowed them to keep the great powers so they would help him with the task at hand.

The barren land sprung to life, water and plants took over the surface. A world fitting enough to with hold different beings. Afterwards he went to slumber as the Shao-den awoke the Deilin and the Jin from the bosom of Zelia. They would be as deities and would father and fathom Kirieh. Together with them, the Shao-den gave life to the many beings that inhabit our planet now, both sentient and nonsentient. Mereas gave sentience to the first, taking a selected few apart from the last.

"And so the first clans came to be and the lineages of those that endured survive until this day."

aya

I'm definitely interested. Been fishing for a high fantasy for quite awhile now- you even have a world already and are writing a book! Sounds like a godsend.

I'm excited to see the description when you get around to it. As for freeform/system, I'd prefer freeform as well.

Wheresmycow

I'm interested in a high fantasy roleplay.  Interested in checking out your setting and I usually prefer freeform over system.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Kate

I am extremely interested if there is
a) no gunpower (no guns - mini-crossbows are fine)
b) "high tech" is very rare (may stumble upon ruins with something weird in it but they are effectively artifacts)
c) any "high tech" doesn't resemble anything in the modern age -
(I have a pet hate for when era's are mixed together)
d) Travelling between worlds is surreal (move through mirrors/ pools / waterfalls paintings / magical gates etc)
e) No "east meets west" thing (pls no ninjas bouncing about knights are also).

Zelric Miras

Thank you for your interest everyone. Regarding Kate's post:

a,b)Gun powder is obsolete where the technology is avalible. Still, high technology is uncommon or disguised, the usual is a medieval like setting in most places. The three main citadels and the largest citie's around which the sentient races revolve will have high technology, although it will be disguised and attributed to magic.
c)It is not set on earth and it is not really related to earth's history. The races will have some traits reminiscent of earth's societies, but it is not necessarily due to contact with earth.
d)Traveling between worlds is surreal indeed. It is done through portals that are regulated by lunkins, three like sentient beings that are unable to uproot themselves.
e)There is a wide diversity of races living on a surface larger than earth. There will be the opportunity of systems similar to those that you mentioned arising in different races, they will certainly meet eventually.

If this makes you uncomfortable I apologize, but that is how the world is set. I will add the description as soon as possible.

Zelric Miras

I added the information I promised. Enjoy the text wall. ^^ On a side note, we really need spoilers.

Question Mark

Interested!  On iPod atm, so I'll include more specific comments later.

Question Mark

*later*

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....  That's a lot to take in. 

Of the Mitah, Kulen, Mentah, etc. etc...  Which of those are allowed to be played?

How does one use the Kil?  Why do they need protectors?  What is it like to go through one?

Could you elaborate more on how species can take on multiple forms?  What determines their forms?  Why would they change forms in the first place?

Could you give a few examples of the kinds of technology available in Zelia?  How advanced is it?  Can they be found anywhere (i.e. ruins), or are they hoarded in citadels?  How many are aware that this "magic" is actually science?

What is day-to-day life like?  You mentioned that the creators wanted a world that was based on a basic lifestyle, but still wanted the conveniences of high tech; how does this manifest in the world?  Do people have electricity, or do they get warmth from fire?  Do we have mass production, or is the economy still based on handcrafted goods?  What kind of transportation is available?

What kind of weaponry is there?

I'm a bit confused about magic...  If there are mages, how do they use spells/magic/power, where do they get it from, and what are their limits?  Is there actually magic, or is all magic really technology in disguise?  Are mages simply people with ray guns? :P

You have a solid framework, but the world needs fleshing out, and I don't want to step on any toes by assuming or misunderstanding.

Zelric Miras

All are valid inquires, and they have their answers but I'm afraid it is mostly unwritten. I will asses them one by one for simplicity and then add them to the first post.

Quote from: Question Mark on June 21, 2010, 10:44:22 PM
*later*

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....  That's a lot to take in. 

1-Of the Mitah, Kulen, Mentah, etc. etc...  Which of those are allowed to be played?

2-How does one use the Kil?  Why do they need protectors?  What is it like to go through one?

3-Could you elaborate more on how species can take on multiple forms?  What determines their forms?  Why would they change forms in the first place?

4-Could you give a few examples of the kinds of technology available in Zelia?  How advanced is it?  Can they be found anywhere (i.e. ruins), or are they hoarded in citadels?  How many are aware that this "magic" is actually science?

5-What is day-to-day life like?  You mentioned that the creators wanted a world that was based on a basic lifestyle, but still wanted the conveniences of high tech; how does this manifest in the world?  Do people have electricity, or do they get warmth from fire?  Do we have mass production, or is the economy still based on handcrafted goods?  What kind of transportation is available?

6-What kind of weaponry is there?

7-I'm a bit confused about magic...  If there are mages, how do they use spells/magic/power, where do they get it from, and what are their limits?  Is there actually magic, or is all magic really technology in disguise?  Are mages simply people with ray guns? :P

You have a solid framework, but the world needs fleshing out, and I don't want to step on any toes by assuming or misunderstanding.

1-All are playable if you wish to use them. If someone shows interest in any of the Zelii autochthonous races I will  whip up a basic description and facts about the society. The only ones I would restrict are the Jintas and the Shao-Den are forbidden for obvious reasons.

2-The kils are basically rips in the space time continuum. They tend to be unstable an collapse if they are not stabilized. That's the main task of the Lunkin. The secondary task which might be more important, is setting both an entry point and an exit point and keeping them open or closing them upon need.

The kils open to the interdimensional space. It is a region mostly deprived from life except by a few lifeforms that tend to hinder travelling in it. There is no reference to guide you while inside it, so only the ones experienced enough or with special training are able to navigate it safely. The Lunkin bridge this gap, enabling secure and fast travelling between two points through the interdimensional space.

The kils works as tunnels, you just walk in on one end and end up on the other, if one end is closed then you will simply return to the same kil you used as entry point. Going through a kil is pretty much like crossing a door with a drape that covers it. You don't know or see what is on the other side until you reach it, eventhough it is just a step away.

3-I'll use my furry self as an example.
a)If I'm amongst the common group of genetic traits, I would be able to shift into two forms. The non humanoid or feral, and the humanoid or anthropomorphic. Clothes are not included and unless they are either a good piece of technology or magic then they would usually have to be discarded. If they were worn at all.

b) If I'm amongst the rare genetic traits, the I would be able to shift between the two forms mentioned above and one of two possibilities:
b1- An additional human form, let's say my avatar.
b2- The possibility to change size in the feral form. For example the previously shown feral form and this one. And a larger version as well. It is usually only one larger and one smaller form.
Both b1 and b2 can also be induced permanently by magic or gengineering but they are quite expensive. The temporary alternatives are cheaper but only last a few hours and usually involve a painful process.

c) If I'm amongst the rarest genetic traits, I would have one of two conditions.
c1-The inability to change form. I would be born either on the anthro or the feral form, the later the most common, and I would be unable to shift.
c2-Both b1 and b2 traits.
C1 is viewed as handicap and is treated and cured, when possible.

Now the second part why shift? When the first species were created, the Ancients resembled humans. They wished to be able to interact with their creations on equal terms so they gave them the ability to shift. Since the morphology of the different species in their feral forms was so different it was hard to create cities and tools that would work for all of them.

So the shifting remained to enable the trade and interaction between the different species in common grounds. The feral forms remained to give each species their own individual lifestyle if they wished to seek it in that form. Most races use mainly the anthro form, and the feral is used for rituals and events that only involve their own kind.

4-Zelii technology revolves under a unique energy source, Rainde. There are four types of Rainde, one used for coinage, one used for crafting, another one is used for magic and the rarest one is used as an energy source. This kind in particular is a crystallized form of elemental energy. A small amount has a large energy output, without the drawbacks of nuclear energy sources.

The technology available resembles the one we posses now, plus nanobots and minus explosive or harmful energy sources. That includes weapons. The greatest advances are in medical, genetic research and energy sources. High technology can only be found in the large cities and the citadels, while technology like the one we have today can be found elsewhere, again without the explosive and harmful energy sources.

There is a general awareness of the coexistence of science and technology. The border line has blurred considerably so it is hard to tell which is which if you don't have specific knowledge in at least one of them.

5-The layout of the structures and constructions are mostly medieval, in general. There are zones in the cities that resemble a more modern architecture or a completely different one to accomodate to the needs of those that use them. Still, you would be able to find any commodity you would find now a days, including television. Just add a few futuristic twists to the mundane objects for those that wish something more elaborate.

Fire is still used, cars are almost unexistant, there are more fancy transportation means akin to a high fantasy world. Nonsentient dragons are common for those that can tame them or afford a dragon tamer. As well as other mounts and pets. There are laws that state which can be used inside the cities and the proper treatment for them. There are also tech versions of the lunkins, their range is limited to distances under 10 km so they are only practical inside cities. As the lunkins, they need an entry point and an exit point. Public transportation is available as well in the largest cities and between some specific trade routes.

As stated, common everyday of objects are cheap or free, this include mass production assets. Hand crafted goods are luxuries and usually expensive. The fact that the guilds are still alive and being a crafter is a viable profession is that since most things are free, those that aren't are quite coveted.

There are two ways of 'earning' your food and housing. One is learning a craft or providing a service, both are rewarded economically. The other is direct trade, you work for the empire and others as a gratitude for the free things you receive. It works because it is etched in the society. They are used to it and it keeps them well so they have no need of changing or challenging the systems. There are some that do challenge the system, they are allowed to change to whatever form of living they see fit. Usually they return to the instaurated system once they feel the absence of all the free assests.

6-Battles are waged with medieval weaponry and magic, the casualties are usually reduced by the advanced medical capabilities and the presence of healers in the battlefields. Warriors and mages are respected for being skilled and strong, if there was superior technology for warfare anyone would be able to take part in battles and war it would disrupt the delicate balance that ensures peace in two of the three Marun.

There is more advanced weaponry, the other dimensional planes wouldn't hesitate to use theirs even if Zelia lacked them, so it is better to be safe than sorry. Anything that would involve the use of gunpowder and above, in terms of technology, is restricted to the military and only to use against non zelii. I mentioned that there was no gunpowder for military use, this is still true. There are projectile and beam weapons, both take their energy from rainde shards.

7-Magic. Magic dwells in everything in Zelia. As emntioned, Zelia is a living being in it's own right. The energy it posses and it's essence is what enables the existence of magic. The use of magic is limited to the skill and knowledge of the one that tries to use it, as well as it's own innate capability to wield it. In Zelia magic is called dolmei, dol means art and mei means energy. So it is the art of molding energy.

There are two set bases for wielding magic, the elemental interactions and the conceptual molding.
a) Elemental interactions:
This usually sparks debate. Don't question it, it's magic!
Energy can be set in eight main elements, the ones mentioned above. Four are basic, Water, Earth, Wind and Fire. The constructive natural combination of these create the next four: Thunder, Light, Darkness and Sound. Everyone is born with an affinity to one or more of the elements, this enables them to wield them with ease, while the rest must be learned. Magic is done by manipulating the elemental nature of energy to combine and destroy it into different forms and shapes, giving it a set porpouse.

b) Conceptual Molding:
The energy is treated as whole, everything in Zelia is part of it's essence. By manipulating this essence magic can be wielded and used.

How to use magic:
There are two ways to start, some are born able to do either so they are able to skip the basics and wield magic in more advanced ways.

Basic dolmei:
a)Seals: The energy is channeled by imbuing it into patters, characters or gestures. For example, I could create a fireball by 'writing' fire on the air or an equivalent symbol. I could also move any part of my body in a way that represents fire to me. This is used with more ease for elemental interaction magic.
b)Verbal: The enrgy is channeled through incantantions and invocations. If the magic you are trying to use the verbal form of it will be simple. For a fireball I could simply say 'fireball' if I'm capable enough. If not I would have to chant an spell or invocation with variable lenghts to use it. It works better with conceptual molding magic.

Advanced Dolmei:
a)Combined form: It is a mix of seals and verbal dolmei. It usually is more powerful and requires more skill.
b)Direct dolmei: Once the appropiate mastery is reached, the individual will be able to use magic by just thinking in the results. It works well with both types of magic wielding but it requires high levels of expertise or there will be no results at all.

Anything else you'd like to ask?

aya

Everything seems fine, but the way the eras kind of 'cross' is a little confusing to me. For example, you said that the layouts and architecture were mostly medieval. But then you mention that all the modern conveniences are available- like television. It seems a little weird to me having a plasma TV in a castle.

Likewise, you mention that there are more modernly styled zones, but that fire is still used. It might be kind of difficult trying to cook with a fire inside a modern-styled home, or more importantly, trying to keep one completely heated.

I'm probably misunderstanding what you wrote, but it might be nice if you could give just a bit more detail on the two different 'time periods' if you will. Maybe a quick run down of how you would do things in Zelia. For example, if we wanted to cook today, we would use the stove/microwave/etc; if we wanted to warm a house, we have central heating, maybe an extra fireplace/blankets if we're cold. If I wanted to go somewhere, we could walk/drive/bus/bike etc.

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Zelric Miras

Okay...reading back I do think it is confusing. ^^;

Electircity and others are usually produced by rainde or other 'clean' types of generation such as solar energy.

There are three types of settlements, the medieval like ones, the modern ones and the mixed up ones. The largest cities might have these two in different sections. The medieval usually lack modern technology and they use fire to cook and warm up the room. Although some have plumbing, electricity is rare. This type of settlement is most common in the small settlements that aren't close to larger population centers.

The modern ones are more common in the larger cities. The mixed ones are quite widespread and have grown in popularity. The usual is a medieval construction with modern commodities. These are usually concealed or disguised so they don't clash with the design. Some have both types of designs, there are rooms designed in medieval style and others, usually the less public ones, have a more modern set up.

The smaller housing such as apartments usually have a modern set up, while there are cottages and cabins with a medieval set up.

Transportation is usually done either by kils or t-pads (the tech version of the Lunkins) for longer distances and between places within the larger cities. There are bycicles and other similar transportation means as well. The public transport is made by larger nonsentient creatures as well as other types of personal transportation such as horses. There are technological means of transportation but they are regarded as luxuries. There are air bikes and small podlike vehicles all work on rainde.

aya

Ah, I see. Thanks for answering. Do we have any ideas for plot? I already have a character concept that I'd like to play, but it would certainly depend on the kind of storyline we go for.

Zelric Miras

My initial idea was a quest to reunite the new generation of elementals for the festival. Such quest would be needed because of an invasion that has thrown Zelia into disarray. The leader of the group would request volunteers for such a suicide quest, since it involves travelling around Zelia to seek for the young ones that have their power dormant. The characters coud either be zelii r visitors from other dimensions. They would begin in a small group or own their own, receiving the summons to arrive at The Imperial Citadel for them to be dispatched on such a quest.

It is just an idea afterall, we could work something up if everyone chips in. ^^ What kind of storyline you had in mind for your character?

aya

Mm.. I sort of wanted to play some kind of princess/vice empress runaway. Human or elf.

Zelric Miras

We can work it out in the plot. There are many clans with important ranks amongst the elven folk. We still need more people to begin with what I had in mind, but we could start with the plot as a way of exploring the world...

What do you think? Anyone interested out there?

Question Mark

I'm still interested.  It will take time to become familiar with a world this complex, but I'm willing.

And if no one else pops in, who's to say we can't 3man this?  I've found that the bigger a RP gets, the chances of it falling apart rise as well.  Probably exponentially.

Zelric Miras

Glad to see you are. ^^ Yeah, it will also attract more interest if people see the world up and running.

Wheresmycow

I'm still interested, just that the world information is a bit overwhelming.  It'd be easier for me to handle if it was in coles notes, bullet point sort of format, but I'll make do taking bits and pieces of it in at a time.

As for character concepts, I'm thinking of waiting to see what everyone else has and then maybe coming up with something that'll neatly slot in.  I usually play warrior types but I'm trying to break free out of my mold.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Zelric Miras

It will be ok if you use non zelii characters. We can just say they arrived through one of the portals. The information is indeed a lot, I haven't had time to make a shorter version and since we don't have spoilers in E....

Zelric Miras

Okay time for a character sheet:
Character Name:
Background information:
Species:
Place of origin:
Appearance:
Something else we should know?:
(Background history, character traits and innate abilities, etc, things that will help set the plot up)

Post your characters and I'll post mine and open the thread later, I have to go.

Skystomp

I have to admit, this is a really interesting concept. I especially like the mix of magic and technology, with tech being disguised. Sounds a bit like the Myth series with the way wizards would trade tech across dimensions, but would keep it hiden. You know, like heat seeking armor piercing crossbow bolts.

All in all, a little complicated but definatly a checkmark in the Awesome category. Definatly going to keep an eye on this thread.
The only way you fail, is by not trying.
Linkara "I read it and I wish I hadn't!"

Zelric Miras

Thanks for the input, I'm working on a shorterand simpler version for the informative text wall. Soon to come.^^;

Zelric Miras