Golden Age of Piracy - Recruiting!

Started by Oneiros, June 01, 2012, 08:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oneiros

I think we can probably start coming up with characters! I'll find a character sheet template and fix it to our game. We might have plenty to start soonish, and keep recruiting at the same time, since it'd be easy to sail into a port town and pick up people who want to join in, or attack a ship if they want to be captured.

Suiko

I figure my character will maybe be a street urchin and tries to pickpocket someone already on a ship; hence getting dragged along.
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

- Current Status: Slow, motivation is tough. See my AAs -

Oneiros

There's some character sheet code up on the first post. Feel free to post your character sheets here to get feedback on them (or PM them to me if you'd rather I look at them with you first). Once the character sheet thread goes up, I'll give people approval to post their own character sheets.

Suiko

- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

elfguy

Player:elfguy
Name: Victoria Standford
Orientation: Bi
Nationality: England
Allegiance: Royal Navy
Ship: Royal Navy ship Enforcer, a frigate of 35 crew members with 12 canons on each sides, 2 at the front, and enough sails to go very fast, constructed to chase down and capture pirate ships, or any fleeing suspect.
Rank/Occupation: Captain
Equipment: She wears a comfortable outfit made mostly of cloth and leather most of the time, although she also has a dress uniform for official visits back to England.
Weapons: She has a sword at her hip and a dagger in one of her boots. (no bow unlike the picture)
Description: She looks like the picture, except she has no bow, and instead has a rugged belt with a sword hanging on it, and she has Royal Navy insignias on her sleeves.
Personality: Victoria likes adventures and acts like a tom-boy, a girl who prefer going into the action and getting her hands dirty, which isn't common in those times so she gets a lot of weird looks. She is usually friendly, but also very focused on her work. Because she's had such a difficult life, she tends to get angry easily if provoked, and has little tolerance for BS. She's always out to prove herself and as such trains regularly with her sword, and tries to always lead her men by her example.
Biography: Victoria is the daughter of a royal family, a Count and Countess back in Wales, and her parents had everything set for her to marry another noble and live a boring life in luxury. But as soon as Victoria was a teenager she decided she would rather have a life of adventure and joined the Navy, over the objection of her family. Her parents disowned her, but she didn't care, living her dream out on the seas. She started her career as a navigation officer but quickly rose to the rank of lieutenant due to her skills and determination. Her presence on board was always a controversy, especially after she was promoted, but she eventually managed to get the respect of her men through her courage and determination. When the captain died from a freak accident, slipping on the deck and falling into a shark, she became captain and has been in command of the Enforcer for almost 6 months. The ship isn't due to return to her home port for several months and she doesn't know if the admirals will let her keep command of this ship, since there had been no female captain before in the Royal Navy. Right now she tries to focus on her task and wants to capture as many pirates and brigands that she can in order to prove her worth as captain.
----

Flaming Dead Man

I think I'll wait to see what's available.  Waiting for my laptop to come back from the shop so things are less annoying to deal with.  xD

I'll play a nice little captive or two if necessary.  <3

Those pretty ones can make a fine catch.  :P
Wanderings (Updated 2013.08.21.)
(Check this forum for the posting list, as well.)

Partner Search Thread (Updated 2013.08.21.)

Nadir

Player: Eden
Name: Govad
Orientation: Straight, unless he is drunk. Which is always.
Nationality: French mother, Persian father

Allegiance: To whomever supplies the grog
Ship:
Rank/Occupation: Navigator
Equipment: A flask of rum, compass, ink well and quill-pen.
Weapons: A rapier with an Italian swept hilt, two daggers and a stiletto

Description: Govad is tall and lean, he's stronger than he looks and is quick to catch the sun, his skin usually a sun-kissed olive unless he's landside for several months - when not on a ship, he wallows in any booze house that will take his coin, and rarely ventures out in daylight in that case which leaves him pale. Heavily battle scarred under his clothes, he has lost his left eye to shrapnel and his lover right leg to a shark, two fingers of his right hand in a sword fight. Every joint of his left hand seems strangely swollen and out of alignment and he cannot fist it, from when a cannon rolled over it. He has a knot of scars on his abdomen where he took a bullet, which is lodged in his lowest right rib.He wears gold hoops in his ears, five in one and three in the other, two tears where the matching ones belonged. There is an old, age-distorted brand on his left shoulder blade.   

Personality: When he's sober, Govad is restless, short tempered and savage. When drunk, he is no less feral but much more settled in his own skin. The only people he treats with respect are his captain and that is only farce. For all his wildness, he has a keen sense of direction and a mastery of maps that makes his almost mutinous attitude bearable. He is no coward, and will fight tooth and nail to defend the ship he is housed on - though asking him to go out of his way to save the crew is pushing it.

Biography: Govad was born to a slave girl in Constantinople, where he was raised to serve in kind. When he was ten, he was sold to another household and branded to mark him as property. The would, however, became infected and he fell into a fever, and the family simply dumped him on the street. He survived, and lived some time on the streets before finding his way to the docks and stowing away on a ship. For a year, he remained there, managing to remain undetected until the vessel was commandeered by a pirate crew. He was found shortly after, thanks to the greed of the captain demanding every nook of his new ship be explored for hidden wealth.

Govad's luck was in, and instead of being thrown overboard he was kept to lend help to the crew, doing the lowliest tasks. When he was sixteen, he was able to read maps and weather better than the written word. At eighteen he changed ship to escape the unwanted attentions of the ship's surgeon. At twenty-three when he was suspected of murdering the first mate, and escaped lynching by diving overboard. For three days he was adrift. It was then that he lost his lower leg to a shark, but was pulled to safety by a cargo vessel. He was roughly patched up and let off in the next port.

The misadventure had left him more feral than ever, and his bloodthirsty nature won him welcome on the most daring of ships.

He has been with his current crew for three years. Tension between himself and the captain was strained even before they set out, and the rest of the crew echoed Govad's frustration at the captain's over cautious plans. It was after the third cargo ship had escaped them that Govad lost his patience and slew the captain... which was more accident than he let the crew know. Killing his captain meant that he could never again be another crew member, for no captain would trust him not to insight another mutiny. Now, he was stuck.   

Anything else: tba

elfguy

Btw I'm fine with NPC playing the men under Victoria's command on the Enforcer ship, unless someone wants to be on her crew.
----

Elias

http://http://images.wikia.com/onepiece/images/9/95/Gol_D._Roger.jpg

Player: Elias
Name: Formerly known as "The black Heart" Captain of the sangriento Dinero (Bloody Dollar) Passing himself off as Mr. Smith
Orientation: Straight
Nationality: Spanish and English

Allegiance: Himself
Ship:Searching
Rank/Occupation: Doctor
Equipment: Whiskey and lots of it, saws and other utensils for surgery.
Weapons: Six pistols and a rapier

Description: Pic above Stands at 6'1 and is known for a ruthless stare down that scared his crew into even the most insane circumstances.

Personality: He made a great captain, gritty and uncompromising he worked hard, not one to rest on laurels he did every job his crew did and even worked as surgeon when his own fell ill with scurvy. However, hes also hard pressed to listen to anyone. He will raise hell if given stupid orders and knows how a ship is to be run... Only trouble lies in his future still he prays he can move past his issues so he can stay on the sea and avoid the hangman...

Biography: Formerly known as "The black Heart" Captain of the sangriento Dinero (Bloody Dollar)  however his ship has been sunk and he had been captured; thanks to some friends in low places he managed to escape the hangman's noose but lost everything in the process. With his ship and crew gone he looks to find another vessel and live out the remainder of his life without being noticed too much. Most think hes dead now anyway. He just cant imagine a life without the sea. The first ship he hopped on however, was taken down and once again hes a prisoner... Life is rough for the former captain.

Anything else:
Official Spanish Bounty: 7,000 gold
Official British Bounty: 12,000 gold
Official Dutch Bounty: 5,000 gold

He has only recently escaped none of these bounties have been recirculated however, legend of the sangriento Dinero's captain is well known and more than a few captains live to emulate him, while even more would be happy to take his head... Life at sea has given him more enemies than admirers.

The Spanish were the ones who last captured him, and they are once again on the hunt for him.

Saerrael

I may be interested. Are there any nobles around as of yet...?

Oneiros

Nobles in what sense?

Also, sexy navigator, Eden. <3

Saerrael

As in high born English tea drinking snobs.

ivygrowth

Player: ivygrowth
Name: Dierdre 'Smoke' Cullen
Nationality: Irish

Allegiance: Pirate
Ship:
Rank/Occupation: First Mate (if possible)
Equipment: A small concealed bag of money.  Extra gunpowder/shot.  Soap.  A small concealed bag of (fake, glass) rubies.  A lockpick in her cuff and a second in her boot.  A riding crop.
Weapons: A long dagger, nearly big enough to be called a sword.  Several concealed knives.  Two flintlock pistols.

Description:  Not thrilled with the picture, as I was seeing her as being a bit sterner, but closest I could find.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Personality:  Cold and calculating.  She is not above killing at the slightest provocation, and got where she was by shooting any man stupid enough to confront her about her gender. 

Biography: Dierdre got her start as a smuggler and general insurgent in Ireland.  Her family had long been opposed to the British, and had allied themselves with her enemies.  She, and her family, were captured by a Royal Navy ship while smuggling goods from France, and the entirety of the crew save for Dierdre herself were executed for their crimes.  Dierdre was spared death by claiming she was pregnant, and later managed to escape by charming several of the guards and acting the innocent young woman.  She swore revenge against the Royal Navy and British Crown, and began her life as a pirate.

Dierdre, now going by the nickname Smoke, did have some trouble being treated as a true pirate and not a whore.  She began to build a name for herself by the simple expedient of shooting anyone that tried to take advantage, and for burning a British merchant ship at port.  She was recruited by a more open-minded Captain and, due to her viciousness, determination, and skill, slowly rose through the ranks.

Anything else:

Oneiros

Pirate or Navy, Saerra? ;)

Liking the characters so far. I'm half babysitting my nephew right now so I can't go really in-depth into anything yet, but I like what I see so far.

Suiko

Just like to say that I'd like to save the role of a cabin boy, but I'm still pondering over how he gets on a ship.

More to the point, would the RP be starting on the ships? Or would it start at port? Or different places for different crews?
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Saerrael

Quote from: Fedora on June 02, 2012, 05:39:06 PM
Pirate or Navy, Saerra? ;)

Liking the characters so far. I'm half babysitting my nephew right now so I can't go really in-depth into anything yet, but I like what I see so far.

Financer for one side.

Still thinking.

This guy is in my head...

Marie Reynolds

Hmm this would be for someone on the navy side I was thinking of playing a former Navy captain who became a Jesuit priest as an effort to better himself from who he became during his time in the navy and to serve as a chaplain on board and maybe take on being a mentor to a up and comming captain to prevent someone walking the same road as him

Oneiros

Cabin boy is yours then, Eros. ;)

And it all depends.  It might be easiest to get everyone mingling at a port for a day, then shipping off.

Of course, that leaves the question of where napanee's and usha's characters are. Of course, if they're fine with having been already captured  and holed up in the brig when the game starts, that works.

Or they could both be on the same ship and shortly after the pirates head out to sea, they're captured.

Also, I like that picture, Saerra.

Saerrael

Yeah, he's demanding to be written.. so I will fill in the sheet in a sec *winks*

Suiko

Player:Angel Eros
Name: Lucas
Orientation: Gay (Switch-Bottom)
Nationality: England, though he has no real loyalty to the country.

Allegiance: Neutral
Ship: The Dirty Secret (Eventually)
Rank/Occupation: Ship whore Cabin boy (when he's on a ship)
Equipment: A bit of loose change.
Weapons: A small dagger tucked away in the waistband of his pants.

Description: Lucas has a rather slender frame, standing at around 5'8 in height; he's quick and nimble as opposed to physically strong. His clothes are rather well-worn since he doesn't have the money to afford such frivolous things; a pair of black legging, somewhat tattered with the occasional sewn-together hole and a simple white shirt hang loosely on his body, again with several patched tears in the fabric. He does his best to keep everything clean to look good for potential customers, so he's never too dirty. His boots are the only thing he's overly fond of; bought for hi by a wealthy client (who will remain nameless always) he always looks after them.

Personality: He has always had to be somewhat tough owing to his life on the streets. While not being rude, he's not shy of expressing his personal opinion, and he won't let himself be pushed around, regardless of who he's talking to. This stubborn streak can often get him in trouble, but he has a silver tongue when it comes to flattery and persuasion, meaning he can often get himself out of any bad situation he finds himself in; he always has his body to offer if all else fails, after all. He's very self-sufficient also, and prides himself on not needing anyone to help him through life. He works for everything he's ever had, and never takes charity from anyone.
Despite being a stubborn, outspoken boy, he is also very loyal to anyone who earns his trust; not easily given, but always valued once held. He's a good soul deep down, but he wouldn't be opposed to a spot of plunder and fun... If the payment was right.

Biography: His life story is nothing unique in the docks. His mother was but one of many prostitutes who worked the streets at night, his father (she claimed) was one of the wealthy noblemen who lived further inland. Such a claim didn't sit well with the man however; a man who prided himself on his supposedly wonderful family, and his wife didn't approve of a simple whore casting such aspersions on her husband. Whether or not the claim was true was never known. Lucas' mother died during childbirth, leaving the boy to be raised by several of the woman's friends in and out of the brothel. It was a pleasant enough existence, save the occasional beating and unpleasant client; he grew up wise to the ways of the street and people, had enough money to avoid hunger and his appearance ensured he often received only wealthy clients.
Perhaps some would pity him for his upbringing and lack of opportunity, but Lucas has always been perfectly content with his lot in life; he enjoys sex, he enjoys being doted on as some clients do. He's far luckier than many boys his age as he well knows, so why would he want anything more?

Anything else: --
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Saerrael

Player: Saerra
Name: Christoph le Croix, Mister Cross, Lord Cross, Mister Gold, That Filthy Son of a Bitch.
Orientation: Gay. "Do what I say and I might let you live." Strong Dom.
Nationality: Born in England. English mother from a very good family and a French father of disputable origin.

Allegiance: The side that earns him the most coin.
Ship:
Rank/Occupation: Financer of operations. You work on a ship he owns in this way, he rather not see you drinking his money away.
Equipment: Documents you won't be reading any time soon. Writing utensils. A very well filled money bag. Wears a blank signet ring on his left hand's ringfinger.
Weapons: Excellent swordsman. Prefers the rapier, but can handle most swords without effort. Carries muskets on land but dislikes his powder getting wet and having to deal with the hassle on ships.
Aside these more standard weapons he always carries a whip. Not only does that operate quite satisfactory in any a weather, it also serves in the bedroom.

Description: Towering tall. Though he appears to have no muscle to him, that's all clothing. Though he's slender, there is only muscle under the expensive clothes he wears.
Pale skin, amber eyes that can appear red in certain lighting, black hair he wears loose.

Personality: In short, he's a bastard, and not only because he was born out of wedlock. Mostly concerned with his money, he doesn't care all too much about people. Though he can be deadly charming when he wants to get his way, and very effective at a negotiation table as he enjoys those kind of games a little too much.
If he had any less power than would be normal, he'd be a very dangerous manipulator.

Biography: Born as a bastard, Christoph had less influence in his family than he wanted. Though not send away to France, he wasn't exactly wanted, either, and grew up mostly fending for himself. Now his mother is too old to say all that much about how he spends the family fortune; he spends it as he sees fit. Unfortunately he does have to work around his brothers, but he manages his money almost untraceable and makes damn sure he makes a profit out of his investments. If that means he has to invest in piracy, all the better.

Anything else: Christoph has no feeling of loyalty what so ever and just as happily finances a legit or pirated operation and has been known to play both sides of the field in the same year. This also makes him known to all sides and to all parties that these sides have negotiated with. He has been playing around like this for about ten years.

AribethAmkiir

Player:AribethAmkiir
Name: Katarina Acosta
Orientation: Bi
Nationality: Spanish

Allegiance: Pirate
Ship:
Rank/Occupation: Captain (if possible), or Quartermaster
Equipment: Ship ledger, spy glass, concealed money purse, soap, gunpowder horn, bag of musket balls.
Weapons: 4-5 flintlock pistols upon her body, several concealed knives, a dagger, and a cutlass.

Description: Katarina is a tall woman (for the time period), at 5’8” and has a thicker bone structure than common women.  Her Spanish decent is evident in her dark hair and brown eyes.  She is smooth skinned and fleet of foot, and normally wears loose men’s clothing to help conceal her gender.

Personality: Katarina has a reputation for being ruthlessly savage to her enemies and rewarding her friends.  She is an intelligent woman, with obvious education, and has a unflappable charm that makes it easy to like her.  She is cunning and deceitful and thoroughly enjoys being a pirate.

Biography: Katarina was actually born Katharine de la Costa.  She was the youngest daughter of a wealthy banker and plantation owner in the region of Cadiz.  At the age of sixteen, Katharine, along with her sisters, was kidnapped from her home by Barbary pirates.  The girls were meant to be sold as slaves, yet the Katharine caught the Captain’s eye and he kept her for his own.  The captain was not a kind man, and Katherine quickly learned how to endure his attention and even appease the man’s appetites.  It wasn’t long before he decided to make her his wife and she was married.

She endured this life for two years, before she was finally able to sew enough discord amongst the pirates to cause a mutiny.  She slit her husband’s throat during the chaos of the mutiny and then jumped ship.  She discovered that her family had all been killed or sold into slavery.

It wasn’t long before she caught the eye of another man of fortune.  When the authorities came to arrest her for piracy and murder, he helped her escape and together they stole a Sloop and entered a life of piracy.  She concealed her gender from the crew and acted as an officer on the ship.  (I’ll leave the story here to see what position she winds up with).

Anything else:

Napanee

Player:Napanee
Name: Giles Wilberforce (A Highborn English tea drinking snob)
Nationality: Loyal Englishman
Allegiance:  His Majesty's Royal Navy.
Ship: tbd
Rank/Occupation: He is a Lieutenant
Equipment: A small china teapot, and a tin mug.
Weapons: A heavy sea-service sword (i.e. cutlass), a boot knife, and a pistol

Description: As per the picture.

Personality: Stupidly brave (some would say foolhardy). Generally intelligent, likes to see the glass half full. Tenacious, inventive.

Biography: As a Highborn English tea drinking snob, the son of another Highborn English tea drinking snob, Giles joined the Navy as a Midshipman aged 11 (a squeaker). He is in line to become Baronet of Colchester when his father finally pops his clogs. Right now, his father is causing all kinds of trouble in the House of Commons, speaking for the opposition about naval matters. Something for which he thinks he is qualified on account of his son. Giles suffers his father, and rather than making his progression up the ranks easier, his father's antics cause him to be viewed with suspicion - if the father is against the ruling party, surely the son must be etc. ? Giles, therefore, is only a Lieutenant when he is easily capable of being a Commander. He has also been sent to the god awful Caribbean to fight pirates when everyone knows that eight out of ten who come to the Caribbean are killed by the Yellow Jack (Yellow fever) rather than in ship to ship actions. Nevertheless, he is here, and he will do his duty. Lets just hope there is some decent wine to be found before too long.

Anything else:

Saerrael

Quote from: napanee on June 02, 2012, 07:19:21 PM

Name: Giles Wilberforce (A Highborn English tea drinking snob)

Hahahaha!! xD

Napanee

Quote from: Saerra on June 02, 2012, 07:20:16 PM
Hahahaha!! xD

I thought you might like that. Giles will be, like me, a man with a somewhat twisted sense of humour.