Vote.

Started by Bliss, November 02, 2008, 08:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moondazed

You two are free to give up, just don't bitch about politics to me :)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Valerian

Well, I don't know if that's quite a safe assumption... In my state, we had a gubernatorial election that was one of the dirtiest ever in the country from what I understand -- both Democrat and Republican were hurling the most incredible insults at each other, accusation and counter-accusation, until everyone was completely sick of it all.  It really was terrible.  And when the votes were in, the Libertarian candidate had gotten a record 11% of the vote.  That may not seem like a lot, but we've had another gubernatorial election since then, and there was an absolutely amazing lack of mud-slinging, which was a refreshing change, let me tell you.  So it's a subtle thing, but it's possible for a non-major party vote to have some effect.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Moondazed

~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

King_Furby

I guess if the redskins lose obama will win if redskins win mccain will win. I guess thats what the football people are saying lol.

Trieste

As far as I'm concerned, it's not that casting a vote makes your opinion more valid ... it's your actions that do. I have a tendency to sympathise less for those who complain about their situation, but are doing nothing to change it. The way I see it, not voting and then complaining about government is tantamount to complaining about you mooching brother who sleeps on your couch, then refusing to toss him out on his keister. Do it very much and the reaction will be an irritatedly weary, "Well, if you don't like it, why don't you do something about it?"

MagicalPen

I think you are all missing the point here - ok. So lets say I live in a state that will Vote for Obama, but I vote for McCain. No one knows I voted for McCain, no one cares, and it doesn't change anything. How is that any different from not Voting at all? Its not going to effect anyone in either case. I can see it being a 'make yourself feel better' thing, but it doesn't effect anyone outside of you. And I'd rather not vote for some one I don't want to be president, and in that case, i've done my part since I didn't caste my vote to put him in power.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Trieste

Quote from: MagicalPen on November 04, 2008, 07:53:32 AM
I think you are all missing the point here - ok. So lets say I live in a state that will Vote for Obama, but I vote for McCain. No one knows I voted for McCain, no one cares, and it doesn't change anything. How is that any different from not Voting at all? Its not going to effect anyone in either case. I can see it being a 'make yourself feel better' thing, but it doesn't effect anyone outside of you. And I'd rather not vote for some one I don't want to be president, and in that case, i've done my part since I didn't caste my vote to put him in power.

Because what you're describing is the concept of "I don't have to do anything ... someone else will do something about it". And if you think about it, the reason you feel that way is because other people don't. The whole point of all of this whole voting thing and the initiative to get people the heck out there is because if you DO vote, and everyone else in your state DOES do that... at least you KNOW McCain is in there because he got the majority vote ... not just the majority vote of the people who bothered to get up and do it.

Oh, and those 500-someodd votes that decided the 200 elections? Those were Florida voters, Silv. You cannot assume Florida is all red.

MagicalPen

Well, first time voting for me in Florida. Its track record isn't good - talk about corrupt! In local-level elections this year, 3,500 Votes went missing...I don't trust the system down here and think that whomever has already decided who will win this state, no matter how the people vote.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Bliss

Vote anyway - you can't attempt to effect a change if you don't even try!
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Cherri Tart

*blinks* is there some sort of an election thingy going on? *giggles and runs*
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Caity

I have to get this off my chest, because I feel so bad and guilty.  

I won't be voting today.  :(

I thought I was registered, and I am, but in a different county.  I thought I would be able to register today, but it's a no go.  I was near tears talking to the lady at the clerk's office.  It's awful hearing, "you can't vote this year."  

To be honest, I didn't want to vote this year.  I dislike most of John McCain's policies, but I don't believe in Barack Obama.  For me, it would be the choice between a red apple and a green apple, and I don't like apples to begin with.  I don't vote for third parties either (like someone said, it just siphons votes away from someone who actually has a chance), but I do have to admit that I voted for Nader in 2000.  I would have, of course, voted for Obama, and I'm so sorry to the Obama supporters.  The only reasons I did want to vote today was because (a)peer pressure, (b)to take part in electing the first African American US president, and (c)to cancel my dad's vote (McCain supporter).  Which, none of those are good reasons to vote.  I would rather vote for someone I actually believe in, whether they fit my ideals perfectly or not.  I don't believe either candidate is right for America right now.  

Whatever the outcome of the election is, I hope it goes smoothly.  

A HUGE thank you to the people who are voting today.  

Sherona

Seriously Mpen, write to your congressman. I happen to agree that one vote is nothing but a drop in the hat and doesn't matter..it only matters when hundreds of thousands votes are not cast. However, vote so you can say you did your duty, keep people off your back, AND when you write you will be able to say you voted and thus was apart of the system, SO you have the right to complain.

But yeah, writing to a congressman is a better avenue to create change then voting or not voting is.

MagicalPen

I won't be surprised at all if Florida has voter fraud/controversy at some point. Using a 3rd system in as many voting periods speaks enough for itself about how voting turns out down here. Voting for a 3rd party won't matter until the US goes away from a two-party system, as the Dems + Reps have a monopoly on the system right now. I'll be complaining about whomever becomes elected - even if I vote for them - since neither candidate appeals to my every sense/ideal and I have a lot of issues with both Obama and McCains policies etc.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Sherona

as do I Mpen, I REALLY don't want McCain in office, I would rather see Obama, but I just don't think Obama has the experiance necessary, and I think he still viewing thing with rose colored glasses. that said, I did vote, atleast when push comes to shove I can say I did all I could to further where I think the country should go. Thats the bottom line, Yes there is a right to NOT vote. And frankly I don't think people should be harrassed who choose that route. However NOT voting is just as ineffective as voting is. More so, because NOT voting just doesn't get noticed. There is no sound if one does not make one.

Moondazed

Caity, I don't think there's such a thing as a bad reason to vote :)  People might make their choices based on things I think are ridiculous or silly, but voting is always a good thing.  The bottom line, in my opinion, is that participation is what the system is based on, and if I don't participate, I'm shirking my duty.

Caity

Okay?  I don't think there is either.  :) 

Voting or not voting is a highly personal thing, just as who you vote for is personal.  Just because someone doesn't vote doesn't mean they don't participate in the system in other ways. 

Apple of Eris

Quote from: Caity on November 04, 2008, 10:30:19 AM
...it would be the choice between a red apple and a green apple, and I don't like apples to begin with.  

This hurt me more deeply than you will ever know. *sniffles*
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Caity

I'll amend that.  I actually LOVE Paula Red apples.  Are you a Paula Red apple?  :P

Moondazed

I'm scared to go to bed because in the Bush/Gore election, they called it and we went to bed, only to wake up to Bush winning.

Apple of Eris

Golden Delicious actually.

And -I- did it! I won the election for Obama!

I studied the Hex the Phanatic used duringthe world series and used it against McCain today, and WHAM! Obama pulls a big win by striking out McCain who goes down swinging.

Oh yeah, I got it baby!
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking