Font sizes on non-PC devices?

Started by Galactic Druid, November 12, 2022, 06:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

I recently had some stuff happen in my life that has resulted in some eye issues. For the most part I can manage, but having things displaying in a larger font helps a lot. My kindle for reading is a godsend, as is Firefox onyPC, as I can hit ctrl+c to adjust font size, with automatic text wrapping and adjusting to my screen size.

On portable devices, not so much. Reading on E is very difficult for me, since the zoom feature leaves me having to scroll left to right for even a single sentence or the SB. Using the iPad I use to post undistrscted is extremely difficult because of that, and mypgone is next to impossible, and bot just for E.

Is there any setting on E or app out there that would let me adjust font sizes for mobile systems? Also, if anyone knows how to make the onscreen keyboard for my phone (android galaxy s20) bigger too, that would be a huge help.

Thank you!
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Oniya

There is an 'Accessibility' setting on the iPad that allows you to change the font size.  It also has a number of other options that might make the screen easier to read, depending on what your vision issues are.

Go to Settings  > Accessibility > Display & Text Size.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

stormwyrm

On Android devices you can use Opera Mobile. It's the only browser I've ever seen that actually does sane word wrap when you zoom such that you don't side scroll.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

That's what it looks like on maximum zoom. This is why it's my primary browser on mobile.
If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

TheTech

There is no DPS on a iphone/ipad sadly, it will enlarge the font but that is based off the size of the screen. Honestly I am in the same position as you are and squinting. But there's nothing font wise added to any app that would adjust it the way you wanted, it would be based off the OS of the device you are using when its a non mac/pc.

Galactic Druid

The ipad accessability options definitely help a lot for general use, thank you On! I also found a bunch of stuff that's help me a ton, like virtual keyboard size. I wish it also affected display text for websites and such, but like TheTech said, it seems like moble devices are happy enough with zoom and scroll.

Storm, is that an opera feature I need to enable somewhere?  I tried Opera, but I'm still getting the 'usual' zoom and side scroll.

Thank you all for your help through this!
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

stormwyrm

We discussed this on Discord, but in case it helps more people the Opera version I use that has the text wrapping features you need is this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opera.browser

You may need to enable force enable zoom in the settings (to override the many asinine websites that try to disable it):

And under the "Text Options" thing you see there you'll want to enable text wrap and adjust text size appropriately:

This is in my opinion a killer feature that no other browser seems to have implemented correctly.
If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

TheTech

Opera is used in a lot of spyware/malware stealth downloads which is why i dont trust it