Local time confusion

Started by Assassini, April 29, 2012, 09:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assassini

Just a small question here... On all profiles there is a small section saying "Local Time" and then it gives a time, this is the obvious part.

My question is this, what is the local time? Is it the timezone of the profile? Or the timezone of Elliquiy servers or what?

I ask because the "local time" on my own profile is most definitely NOT my local time, plus whenever I make posts they are also not my time... It confuses me...

Lilias

The default local time is the forum server time, currently GMT-6.

You can edit your time zone by going to Profile -> Look and Layout (Time offset)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Assassini

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Assassini

Greenwich Mean Time is best Mean Time.

Sorted!

Lilias

All time is mean - it waits for no one! ;)
~Wendell Berry

Geraint

From my personal observations, I believe that the local time shown in the profiles of other people is the local time for the person whose profile one is reading.  Just now the local time in Lilias's profile shows to me as 4:58 PM, whereas my local time (GMT-5) is 11:58 AM, and the local time showing in the profile of one of my playing partners who resides in Texas (GMT-6) is 10:58 AM (which fits all three of our locations). ;)

Lilias

That is the case if the member in question has adjusted their time zone. ;) It can take a bit of time for a new member to figure out how to do that, so if you look at newly-approved profiles, you'll probably see most of them sporting forum time, regardless of location.
~Wendell Berry

Assassini

Is this not a bit of an awkward way of doing it? I wonder if there would be a way for the profiles to automatically sync up to local time when the profile is created...

Saerrael

Quote from: Assassini on April 29, 2012, 11:31:28 AM
Is this not a bit of an awkward way of doing it? I wonder if there would be a way for the profiles to automatically sync up to local time when the profile is created...

Oh, I would be so very much against auto sync, myself. I have 'my' time on server time, not local time. I prefer it that way.

Assassini

QuoteOh, I would be so very much against auto sync, myself. I have 'my' time on server time, not local time. I prefer it that way.

Eh, fair enough.