Roaring 20ies/Speakeasy/Gangster & Crime Stories [Open to all]

Started by Nico, April 29, 2015, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nico

Oh I love the pictures! ~thumbs up~ Great choice! Especially Scarlet!

Loves

ON HIATUS AGAIN

Twisted iN Tux

Quote from: Nicholas on June 05, 2015, 01:45:08 PM
Oh I love the pictures! ~thumbs up~ Great choice! Especially Scarlet!

I second this notion. Love the look of them both!

Kendra

Loves!! *hugs muchly*
love the images you chose, can't wait to see your character sheets!

YAyyyyy!! that you're coming into this game  ;D
<3

Loves

Thanks guys!

*Hugs Red muchly right back*

I'm excited to join.  I've decided to make the young ladies fresh nurses, I think they might have more opportunity in the story as a whole That way.

I just have to look up the ages that a nurse might be back then to start in the hospital. Also, is there a hospital named already in the game?

Here is some information I found on nurses in the time period for the game.  I will have my ladies as nursing students in one of the hospitals, if that is alright.
In the early 1900s, the autonomous, nursing-controlled, Nightingale-era schools came to an end. Schools became controlled by hospitals, and formal "book learning" was discouraged in favor of clinical experience. Hospitals used student nurses as cheap labor. In late the 1920s, the women's specialties in health care included 294,000 trained nurses, 150,000 untrained nurses, 47,000 midwives, and 550,000 other hospital workers (most of them women).

Sandelowski finds that by 1900 physicians were allowing nurses to routinely use the thermometer and stethoscope, and in some cases even the new X-ray machines, microscopes and laboratory testing. Nurses for the first time could supplement their subjective observations with scientific tools. Most nurses remained at the bedside where they used the new technology to gather information for doctors, but were not allowed to make a medical diagnosis. Their subjective bond with the patient remained their primary role.
ON HIATUS AGAIN

Miroque

I was thinking to build an Conartist/pickpocketeer, youngish woman, down on her luck. (Older brother who was her guardian, dying in the War and bank taking her family house under her) SHe was forced to seek some work in the city, not really finding anything (and way too proud/moral) for prostitution. All she was good was talking to people, and from there, she learned ways to get what she wanted, working oddjobs here and there, conning Jhons.

Would that sort of character be accepted?

Nico

Quote from: Loves on June 06, 2015, 11:26:54 AM
Thanks guys!

*Hugs Red muchly right back*

I'm excited to join.  I've decided to make the young ladies fresh nurses, I think they might have more opportunity in the story as a whole That way.

I just have to look up the ages that a nurse might be back then to start in the hospital. Also, is there a hospital named already in the game?

Here is some information I found on nurses in the time period for the game.  I will have my ladies as nursing students in one of the hospitals, if that is alright.
In the early 1900s, the autonomous, nursing-controlled, Nightingale-era schools came to an end. Schools became controlled by hospitals, and formal "book learning" was discouraged in favor of clinical experience. Hospitals used student nurses as cheap labor. In late the 1920s, the women's specialties in health care included 294,000 trained nurses, 150,000 untrained nurses, 47,000 midwives, and 550,000 other hospital workers (most of them women).

Sandelowski finds that by 1900 physicians were allowing nurses to routinely use the thermometer and stethoscope, and in some cases even the new X-ray machines, microscopes and laboratory testing. Nurses for the first time could supplement their subjective observations with scientific tools. Most nurses remained at the bedside where they used the new technology to gather information for doctors, but were not allowed to make a medical diagnosis. Their subjective bond with the patient remained their primary role.
That sounds good to me!

Quote from: Miroque on June 06, 2015, 11:41:32 AM
I was thinking to build an Conartist/pickpocketeer, youngish woman, down on her luck. (Older brother who was her guardian, dying in the War and bank taking her family house under her) SHe was forced to seek some work in the city, not really finding anything (and way too proud/moral) for prostitution. All she was good was talking to people, and from there, she learned ways to get what she wanted, working oddjobs here and there, conning Jhons.

Would that sort of character be accepted?
Yes, that's fine. You can find our rules and some other useful links in the first post of this thread. If you have any questions, either ask them here, or PM Kane and me about it.

Loves

Do you want the character sheets posted here? or sent by PM? and if so.... who gets them :)
ON HIATUS AGAIN

Nico

Quote from: Loves on June 06, 2015, 02:16:35 PM
Do you want the character sheets posted here? or sent by PM? and if so.... who gets them :)
By PM, please. :-) Send them to Kane and myself, because we are approving sheets together.

Loves

Thank you,  I sent Audrey, and am now polishing up Faye. She will be with you shortly
ON HIATUS AGAIN

Nico

Quote from: Loves on June 06, 2015, 02:24:39 PM
Thank you,  I sent Audrey, and am now polishing up Faye. She will be with you shortly
You're welcome! Welcome to the craziness.  XD

Nico

I still have an open slot, if someone is interested, for one of my characters wife. Send me a PM if you are interested and want to know more.

Heartsink

Rosario's wife, huh? With a husband and family like that, she definitely lives a most interesting life lmao

Nico

Quote from: Heartsink on June 13, 2015, 02:21:06 PM
Rosario's wife, huh? With a husband and family like that, she definitely lives a most interesting life lmao
~snickerfits~ It gets better! Said wife is the daughter of a mob boss. Interesting life indeed. ;D

Loves

Quote from: Nicholas on June 13, 2015, 02:11:31 PM
I still have an open slot, if someone is interested, for one of my characters wife. Send me a PM if you are interested and want to know more.

I would be happy to make another character.  I can PM you once I have my girl's post up.
ON HIATUS AGAIN

Keaton

If there are any openings this sounds like something I could be interested in.

-Ansem

Ons & Offs  Search Thread  Apologies & Absences   Current Stories: 1

Nico

Quote from: Loves on June 13, 2015, 09:38:26 PM
I would be happy to make another character.  I can PM you once I have my girl's post up.
You already have two characters, though.

Quote from: Ansem on June 13, 2015, 10:43:56 PM
If there are any openings this sounds like something I could be interested in.

-Ansem
There are always open slots. Depends on what you'd like to write.

Keaton

Quote from: Nicholas on June 14, 2015, 01:05:33 AM
There are always open slots. Depends on what you'd like to write.

I'll have to give it some thought, then I can compose a character, submit it and all that business.

Ons & Offs  Search Thread  Apologies & Absences   Current Stories: 1

Nico

Quote from: Ansem on June 14, 2015, 01:23:24 AM
I'll have to give it some thought, then I can compose a character, submit it and all that business.
Sounds good to me. There's links in the first post of this thread, for the rules, character creation, etc. If you have questions or need anything, just ask here in the thread. :-)

Nico

Figured I post it here.

We've got a post count (updated once or twice a week), can be found in the Plotting Thread.

Just wanted to put that out here. :-)