Need a small, active group, story-centered, street-level heroes OR fantasy

Started by Ixy, May 14, 2015, 06:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ixy

I really need a relatively steady game with a small group, limited min-maxing, interesting character dynamics, ambience and mood.  I'm up for co-gm'ed or finding a gm.  I like it dark, but not "80's heavy-metal album cover" dark.  More like: The Wire, Game of Thrones, Watchmen kind of dark.  Small group, again, preferred... I like bigger games but it's easier to work with 2-3 other players rather than try to be fair and wait for 6 or 8.

-Non-con isn't off-limits, but story is essential.  Less "RAPITY-RAPE" more "augh, tough decision here.... guess I have no choice..."
-Violence is ok, but I prefer conflict resolution to be super-quick and descriptive rather than drawn-out, over-powered point-shuffling
-Smut is ok, but I need foreplay... meaning story, interaction, dra-ma

Anyone on-board for something like this?

Mantis Shrimp Prime

Maybe yes, depending on the specifics.
I'm probably feeling more fantasy at the moment, but maybe the right street-level super stuff.
Would co-gm. Wouldn't gm by myself on this one though.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Ixy on May 14, 2015, 06:02:28 PM
I really need a relatively steady game with a small group, limited min-maxing, interesting character dynamics, ambience and mood.  I'm up for co-gm'ed or finding a gm.  I like it dark, but not "80's heavy-metal album cover" dark.  More like: The Wire, Game of Thrones, Watchmen kind of dark.  Small group, again, preferred... I like bigger games but it's easier to work with 2-3 other players rather than try to be fair and wait for 6 or 8.

-Non-con isn't off-limits, but story is essential.  Less "RAPITY-RAPE" more "augh, tough decision here.... guess I have no choice..."
-Violence is ok, but I prefer conflict resolution to be super-quick and descriptive rather than drawn-out, over-powered point-shuffling
-Smut is ok, but I need foreplay... meaning story, interaction, dra-ma

Anyone on-board for something like this?

Interested.  I'd co-GM, too. 

I like Pathfinder, 3.5 D&D, and Mutants and Masterminds (prefer 2nd, but I'm really digging 3rd).
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Thorne

This looks interesting. Not as GM, but as player.

Lean towards fantasy myself, but can hack street-level heroes, if that ends up being what's preferred.
I don't know from M&M, any edition, but I'm familiar with PF and 3.5e. I build for competence, semi-specialized within a couple areas. People, basically.

How much setting and background are is being pulled out of the group's collective ears?
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Ixy

I'm thinking that fantasy is the way to go. I, like Thorne, prefer to make a personable character.  What about if Phantom and Mantis co -gm a mostly improv game? No need for a module, just a setting and you two give us a couple prompts along the way, and arbitrate if needed?  We can make basic pcs just for balance 's sake.

I like games where magic is more rare than not.  While I like big politics stories, I would prefer just to have a low level of interaction with npcs not directly related to the plot.

A few ideas - see if any stick:
-4 childhood playmates,  each uniquely blessed and cursed by fae, reunite and learn each has become an adventurer
-wandering adventurers find themselves trapped in a remote luxurious lodge by horrendous snowstorms. They learn their hosts are a cult, beast, something something
- vigilante adventurers band together with a stranger when their corrupt town's leadership goes too far (Former students of the same master or something? )
- strangers are forced to infiltrate a dark cult to assassinate its high priestess, but learn that their target may not actually be evil

PhantomPistoleer

Ixy:  Do you have a preference regarding systems?  And if so, do you have a preference regarding character creation?

Do you want the adventure set in an established world (Eberron, Golarion, Grayhawk, etc.) or do you want to create our own?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ixy

I'd rather not have Eberron, just because magic is too prevalent.  Golarion is fine, so's Grayhawk, but I have no interest in getting into the super-high-level politics. 

As for character creation/system, I like PF, mid-to-low level.  I have no real preference and would probably be ok with freeform too.

What about you?

Thorne

It's hard to play low-magic in Eberron, that's for sure. Actually, it's hard to run low magic in a lot of settings.

I personally prefer a system (I'm okay with PF, yes), but I'm also alright with freeform, as long as there's some checks in place to keep things from going completely wacky. >.> ^^;
Either way, I prefer to start at low level; L2 at most.

.. I promise, no Gunslingers or Alchemists from my corner. If we run system/Pathfinder I might fling a shaman at you guys, though. I've been wanting to test one of those for a while now. <.<
And before someone goes, 'EEEK! Magic!' - magic is usually my last resort to solve a problem.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Ixy on May 15, 2015, 07:28:30 PM
I'd rather not have Eberron, just because magic is too prevalent.  Golarion is fine, so's Grayhawk, but I have no interest in getting into the super-high-level politics. 

As for character creation/system, I like PF, mid-to-low level.  I have no real preference and would probably be ok with freeform too.

What about you?

If I had to pick, I would pick 3.5 D&D with Pathfinder feat and attribute progression.  If it were completely up to me, I would do level three gestalt.  I dislike non-humanoid classes -- so I would only permit humans, elves, or half-elves.

Generally speaking, I want the characters to inhabit a world that is really rough -- like, Westeros under the Mad King's rule rough.  Things are never fair, the rule of law is nonexistent, and everything that you've worked hard to build can be taken if and when a local lord wills it.  Magic is extremely rare, too.  Maybe 100 people in the world can cast level 1 spells.

I like the idea of local lords and ladies being in a constant flux as they fall in and out of favor.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Thorne

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 15, 2015, 07:59:04 PM
If I had to pick, I would pick 3.5 D&D with Pathfinder feat and attribute progression.  If it were completely up to me, I would do level three gestalt.  I dislike non-humanoid classes -- so I would only permit humans, elves, or half-elves.

Generally speaking, I want the characters to inhabit a world that is really rough -- like, Westeros under the Mad King's rule rough.  Things are never fair, the rule of law is nonexistent, and everything that you've worked hard to build can be taken if and when a local lord wills it.  Magic is extremely rare, too.  Maybe 100 people in the world can cast level 1 spells.

I like the idea of local lords and ladies being in a constant flux as they fall in and out of favor.

.. Non-humanoid /classes/? How did we get into 1-2e? *grin*

All teasing aside, I'm more or less alright with that, although it takes a lot of the characters I was thinking about running right off the table. Now, if I can sell you a character on the strength of the story... ^^;
Also, gestalt tends to turn a game /very/ high powered, very fast - even when you throw easily-accessible magic out. I'm curious why you'd do that.
No problem - I can handle gestalt in either system. I'm just curious.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Thorne on May 15, 2015, 08:44:29 PM
.. Non-humanoid /classes/? How did we get into 1-2e? *grin*

All teasing aside, I'm more or less alright with that, although it takes a lot of the characters I was thinking about running right off the table. Now, if I can sell you a character on the strength of the story... ^^;
Also, gestalt tends to turn a game /very/ high powered, very fast - even when you throw easily-accessible magic out. I'm curious why you'd do that.
No problem - I can handle gestalt in either system. I'm just curious.

You have to understand that I'm not really establishing rules or anything -- just spitballing.  So, I'm not saying that this game will have race limitations -- only that I prefer them.  I particularly don't care for dwarves, gnomes, or halflings.

I prefer gestalt because I like it, but also because character leveling is slow on forum games.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Mantis Shrimp Prime

Quote from: Ixy on May 15, 2015, 07:28:30 PM

What about you?

Ooh, let's do Dark Sun!
Very low magic and no high level as we'll be dead before then.

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 15, 2015, 09:19:10 PM
You have to understand that I'm not really establishing rules or anything -- just spitballing.  So, I'm not saying that this game will have race limitations -- only that I prefer them.  I particularly don't care for dwarves, gnomes, or halflings.

I prefer gestalt because I like it, but also because character leveling is slow on forum games.

I see how it is. Only the tall pretty races. :P

Thorne

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 15, 2015, 09:19:10 PM

There is that. I don't actually mind the slow leveling myself, but I may be one of a small minority there.

Quote from: Mantis Shrimp Prime on May 15, 2015, 09:34:43 PM
Ooh, let's do Dark Sun!
Very low magic and no high level as we'll be dead before then.

I see how it is. Only the tall pretty races. :P

If it was only the tall pretty races, he'd be fine with Aasimar. ^^;

I'm only roughly familiar with Athas- inn't that the one where you get more psions and geomancers than wizards? And it's largely desert?

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Mantis Shrimp Prime

Psionics is more a thing, yeah, because most magic destroys the world and there's like, no gods or something.
And yeah, it's desert, resources or scarce, etc. No I'm not just bringing this up because I just saw the new Mad Max.

PhantomPistoleer

I wouldn't mind Aasimars.

... And I secretly have always wanted to do a Dark Sun campaign.  And we ride camels! 

Edit:  But I don't really care for psionics.*

This is rad though:

QuoteIn 2nd edition D&D, there are many differences between the Dark Sun versions of the races and those found in other campaign settings. For instance, an Athasian elf is faster, stronger and larger than elves from other D&D worlds. In some editions of the game, characters begin at higher levels and may have more abilities than in other D&D settings. There are no "commoners" (i.e., non-combatant bystanders) in Athas. Every "villager" is trained to defend herself against voracious creatures of the wild. No one is spared from such training. Those who cannot adapt do not survive.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Andi

I'm going to toss my hat in as a potential player. Might have something along the lines of a bard or social rogue or similar... depends a little on what kind of setting / scene we end up aiming for.

Ixy

I agree that psionics suck.  In fact, I think most 'special snowflake' stuff detracts from the story, unless it was the GM's idea in the first place. 

Are we making any progress?  It looks like people love Dark Sun... I never really thought of that as a sexy setting.  Yes, I'm being petty :)  Maybe we could do 'Dark Sun lite' or something, so it's not 3 or 4 characters all doing their best Riddick impressions.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Ixy on May 16, 2015, 01:00:22 PM
I agree that psionics suck.  In fact, I think most 'special snowflake' stuff detracts from the story, unless it was the GM's idea in the first place. 

Are we making any progress?  It looks like people love Dark Sun... I never really thought of that as a sexy setting.  Yes, I'm being petty :)  Maybe we could do 'Dark Sun lite' or something, so it's not 3 or 4 characters all doing their best Riddick impressions.

Ha ha ha.  Ixy needs a sexy setting.  Let's... set aside the setting for a bit.  It doesn't have to be in a setting where the elements are turned to 11, though I always really like those settings.

I would like to run a game where we combine two of your initial prompts.  Four childhood friends reunite.  They all set out to become adventurers, and for better or worse, succeeded.  However, they have returned to the City of Param because their initial patron-- a man/woman that they all have fond feelings of -- has been charged with high treason, and is scheduled to be hanged in one week's time.

Their patron brought them up as wards, and armed and clothed them, and paid for their training as adventurers.  He or she didn't do this for any other reason than because he or she was kind.  I'm actually bending on towards it being a her.

Lady Wynd, Traitor to the Crown

I envision the lady being poorly understood in the region.  She has strange tastes, and throughout their time in her company, the characters are still somewhat mystified about her intentions.  No one truly understands why she chose the characters and cared for them.  There are a bunch of rumors, though.  Some even speculate that the characters are all actually her children.

I would like for her to be a sorceress -- and that, through a series of machinations, she has been framed with a treacherous plot.

The game would revolve around the characters staging a daring prison break, and then working to uncover the plot against the Lady.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ixy

I could get behind that, certainly.  If the artwork you're supplying for inspiration is of any indication, the lady would seem unnaturally young to the townspeople.  Maybe she's an outlander noble or a widowed duchess or such, and the local authorities have always been a bit skeptical, critical, jealous..?  They escalated from levying taxes and unfair citations to actually taking her into custody on trumped-up charges (upon which no one can really agree... ranging from 'treason' to 'consorting with demons'). 

About dynamics... perhaps the adventurers are just a few sparse years apart in age, and would have arrived and left on slightly different schedules, but they do know each other well and have only been separated for a few years.  I like your suggestion that no one really knows how she manages to end up being their mentor... maybe it was luck, or maybe she called them somehow.  But regardless of their doubts, they're still loyal enough to return to help her.

I'll be honest in the hopes this works out... aside from underage sexual activity in the story, which I won't want included, I would open up other elements of sexuality here, ranging from Babysitter's Club crushes to secret practices of orgiastic rituals.  It would make sense for romantic feelings or curiosities when tutors were in their late stages of training (late teens).

We can work on their younger background as we go along, too, perhaps?  Like, "well, I'm seeing my character has some rivalry with X, so how about we tell a story about how we used to be super-competitive as teenagers..."

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Ixy on May 16, 2015, 02:10:36 PM
I could get behind that, certainly.  If the artwork you're supplying for inspiration is of any indication, the lady would seem unnaturally young to the townspeople.  Maybe she's an outlander noble or a widowed duchess or such, and the local authorities have always been a bit skeptical, critical, jealous..?  They escalated from levying taxes and unfair citations to actually taking her into custody on trumped-up charges (upon which no one can really agree... ranging from 'treason' to 'consorting with demons').

The lady is unnaturally young.  She has looked exactly as she looked when the characters were younger.  I would also like for the animosity that the townspeople have for her to carry over to her 'spawn.'

About dynamics... perhaps the adventurers are just a few sparse years apart in age, and would have arrived and left on slightly different schedules, but they do know each other well and have only been separated for a few years.  I like your suggestion that no one really knows how she manages to end up being their mentor... maybe it was luck, or maybe she called them somehow.  But regardless of their doubts, they're still loyal enough to return to help her.

Certain characters might even be charmed into loyalty.  This would permit LG characters to do things that they would usually find impermissible.  The character I have in mind for this setting is actually infatuated with the lady.

I'll be honest in the hopes this works out... aside from underage sexual activity in the story, which I won't want included, I would open up other elements of sexuality here, ranging from Babysitter's Club crushes to secret practices of orgiastic rituals.  It would make sense for romantic feelings or curiosities when tutors were in their late stages of training (late teens).

We can actually say that the characters were never in the company of the lady until they left a semi-posh boarding school when they came of age.

I would be very happy to discuss previous histories between characters, but first I feel like we should create the characters first.  I'm interested in making a Rogue character (he'd be a Rogue/Fighter if we do gestalt) who looks like this:

Notice the shock of white hair between my character and that of the Lady!

I would be up for both Babysitter's Club crushes to orgiastic rituals -- but would prefer orgiastic rituals a bit more. ;)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ixy

I'm not ruling out either one.  Just remember... build-up is key, and the story's gotta be there.

I like the art, curious to see what he's like. 

Anyone else got ideas?  I'm definitely thinking a warrior type... adopted, charity case, whose general optimism tries to mask her self-doubts, aggression, feeling of being a freak, etc.

Mantis Shrimp Prime

So about this Incarnum-using Truespeaker I wanted to pla--

Quote from: Ixy on May 16, 2015, 01:00:22 PM
In fact, I think most 'special snowflake' stuff detracts from the story, unless it was the GM's idea in the first place. 

... uh, I mean, Fighter.

QuoteAre we making any progress?  It looks like people love Dark Sun... I never really thought of that as a sexy setting.  Yes, I'm being petty :)  Maybe we could do 'Dark Sun lite' or something, so it's not 3 or 4 characters all doing their best Riddick impressions.

Maybe something more tropical?

But now, if this were at a tabletop, you know you'd want hear my Vin Diesel voice.

Thorne

*snork* Why yes, yes we would. Because many of us could listen to that man read a phone book. ^^;
Anyway. Since the ice-based casters are /right out/ ... (damnit. I do love me some Ice Spikes to the.. well. Nevermind) .. *cough*

Seems the shaman is still a possibility. Or I could bust out my Rogue chops. Hm..

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Ixy

Looking back at the tone of my prior posts, I realize I might sound snarkier than intended... thanks for everyone's patience.

anyway... I think we might be building toward something that works, but I am hoping that it feels that way for everyone, so additional ideas are still welcomed

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Ixy on May 17, 2015, 02:10:11 PM
Looking back at the tone of my prior posts, I realize I might sound snarkier than intended... thanks for everyone's patience.

anyway... I think we might be building toward something that works, but I am hoping that it feels that way for everyone, so additional ideas are still welcomed

Awwr, but you're always snarky!  That's what everyone likes about you.  :)

Ideas (nothing concrete, just jabbing):

So, let's talk about the setting.  I really like the idea of it being a sort of tropical, water-heavy place, in the frontier of discovery.  The great houses of the old world have cemented roots within the islands beyond, and small towns have followed these houses.  The islands are controlled in name by governors selected by the crowns of the old world, but everybody knows that the wealthy noble houses can bully the governors into doing their bidding.  The great houses are interested in natural resources -- spices, gold, and slaves -- and the islands play an important part in acquisition and distribution schemes.

I would also want the characters to have a frigate as their mobile headquarters.

___

We could also borrow from one of your older threads, Ixy.  I forgot that I made a kickass fort.  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221318.0
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O