Red Dwarf based Roleplay anyone?

Started by Innocence, April 10, 2012, 02:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Innocence

Greetings Ladies and Gents!
I am looking to GM a roleplay loosely based off the series Red Dwarf.  If you are familiar with the series it would be great if you joined, if not it won't impact your playing so much.

For those who haven't seen the series here is the jist of it:
Story:
Set in the future, an interplanetary mining ship is exposed to a radiation leak which kills everyone on board.  That is except for a human who is in suspended animation [or cyrogenesis] and his pregnant pet cat [the animal can be changed].  It takes a couple of million years for radiation levels to return to normal before the human can be released from suspended animation.  After millions of years the cat's progeny generally evolve and adapt to become human-like.  The ship's computer system [who will be played by me =D] creates a hologram of the human's old bunkmate to keep the human company.  Later on the crew end up saving a service mechanoid who then joins their crew. 

I'm looking for people to play:
Human
Evolved Cat
Hologram Bunkmate
Service Mechanoid

As we go on adventures together and try to find our way back to earth =3
If anyone is interested please comment here =D
Thanks

Aybara

A question first, what category are you going to put this in?

I'm generally interested though are you set on the groups original formula, for example instead of an evolved cat it could be an evolved dog (though really the evolved cat's come off as way cooler), you could have a G.E.L.F. who has found their way onto the ship and begun salvaging items of interest to them or a wax droid that was the ships entertainment that broke it's programming after the crew died realizing that she wasn't really princess leia in the gold bikini and didn't have to keep walking around the bar handing out drinks to the corpses after a century and put themselves into a power saver mode. Just a thought I'm considering character ideas currently.

Innocence

Hey hey
I was thinking either Light or Extreme small groups, depending on what everyone who decides to join is in to.

And lol yes Cat can be something else, although I love him way more than Dog..... an evolved cat just seems way better

I actually had an idea in mind involving the wax planet where they save Marilyn Monroe but considering I just finished a star wars movie marathon last weekend Princess Leia [or maybe even Han Solo] seems like a better idea... hm....

Either way I'm thinking getting a 'Dave', 'Cat' and 'Rimmer' are most important, any other characters thereafter are variable.

Aybara

Well my vote would be for light. I'll mull over a few ideas like I said though probably leaning towards a Cat or a Dave type character. Holograms are a double edged sword, lots of cool abilities but some of the restrictions aren't that fun to RP if they are a soft light hologram... jumping up and down going "Someone press this button" wont be fun for example, though for some people it could really appeal.

Innocence

I thought about that and depending on how well [or how evil i feel] I was wondering how early to introduce the ....
forgot what it was called but it's where they obtain the hard light projector for Rimmer making him able to finally touch stuff. 

Oh this brings back memories...
Thinks I'll go watch some Red Dwarf now just to refresh my memories ^-^

LunarSage

Man, I loved this show! 

I'm not sold on how well it would work for an RP though... I think if I played the human for example, I'd be subconsciously trying to play him too much like Lister.  Would this be a sandbox game or would it have any sort of plot to it?  How humor driven did you want it?  How much sex, etc?

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Innocence

Quote from: LunarSage on April 12, 2012, 01:45:06 PM
Man, I loved this show! 

I'm not sold on how well it would work for an RP though... I think if I played the human for example, I'd be subconsciously trying to play him too much like Lister.  Would this be a sandbox game or would it have any sort of plot to it?  How humor driven did you want it?  How much sex, etc?

Hey hey, yeah I know what you mean, I love Holly so much but I know I won't be able to play his character much justice which is why I want the roleplay to be more OC than canon. 
I plan to GM the roleplay following the events of the series.  So starting off with radiation leak then moving on to the characters meeting each other then choosing random scenarios from the series and seeing how things play out =]
Depending on what gender the characters end up being and the intent of the players there may be lots of sex or none what so ever.
I personally just want to play for the story =]