The Mixing Pot (Fantasy, Freeform, Seeking players and Co-GM)

Started by Vassus, June 30, 2013, 04:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vassus

Many epic legends are told every day of the year, from stories of great heroes, and sacrifices. In The Regents War, there were men of great fortitude, of cunning, and skill. They were seen as champions, the bringers of victorious consequence. This is not a story about these men.

The kingdoms, the empires, the tribes, of great variety, all had their moments of glory and infamy, trials and triumphs. There were many great battles that entire written works are devoted to. There were many common folk in those battles. This is a story of them, but not in those moments. No, this is a story of the times beyond that.

We only start reading when the heroes go to rest. The western side of the Follahn Divide, the lands of Cercia, where the rocks give way to dense forest and lush grassland. They had seen fighting on their lands, but, even with the mountains so high, it seemed as though the fires in the cities of the empire beyond the ridge crawled up into the heavens, blackening the sky. Many folk were called in to serve, being either a citizen of one of the few Imperial towns on their side of the mountains, or as mercenaries. Some towns were brought in on the opposite side, owing nothing to the enemies of the Great Laraven Empire, but knew an opportunity when they saw one. The Empire divided opinion in Cercia, and blood had been spilled for and against it's tyranny/benevolence. The Regents War had distracted imperial forces from their eternal quest of expansion, but new forces would be the source of troubles for the town from now on.

The wars were fought with a typical style of imperial dealings, silver tongues and golden pockets, but also with swords in hand. But those hands were not just those of men. After the wars end, discord still ran rampant inside the empire's borders, and, after looting and a few small victories, the orcs, brought in as mercenaries from the lands beyond the northern walls, were subjected to a relocation programme, finding themselves given tribute, but forced to go west. What was left of their homes before, in the scrub, and the marshy delta of the River Phyria, was gone, burned to the ground by imperial enemies. It benefited the Laravens as well, as while the orcs fought for them now, today was a new day, and the mountains may prove a better border than the walls to the north.

So, now, the orcish tribes are thrown into he cooking pot, along with the humans, and some lesser ingredients. The horse-men, the centaurs, roam the fields, causing trouble when the ill-prepared stumble into he open, or during the rut (mating season). Some giants roam where the mountains diverge from their usual north-south run, and spread tot he west, on the northern side of Cercia. They are a peaceful people, but the coming winter may drive them into more aggressive tones. Elves gather in the woods, and wolf men haunt the fields. In these times of loose allies, and mixing of the pot, will Cercia perish, or shall it find unity? Many will bleed, and old wounds will be reopened. But life can flourish, order will fight chaos, and hands will grasp beyond borders, as well as fight within them.

Hello everyone, thanks for reading that. I hope you got the gist of it, but I will answer any question you may have. This is a free-form game that I will DM/GM, maybe even join in on. So, basically, orcs are thrown into a land basically run by humans (for the most part), thrown in by the (clichéd, but fun) empire, which has just gone though a very bloody war. If you wish to play, there are many available positions. I'm looking for:

1st: Native Humans (What you are, probably),
Orcs (Not LotR disgusting, more of a brutish, green race. Like the Elder Scrolls, in a way)

These will be the largest two groups, unless I get overwhelming feedback for something different. The story can be pliable, if needs be.

2nd: Imperial Forces (They have some sway over a few areas in Cercia, though they are not in a rock-solid position. They are probably the trickiest of the bunch, the ones who least want friendship between the races. “Divide and conquer” is the Roman way, which the Laraven Empire is based loosely on, if you didn't pick that up.),
Centaurs (A secondary force who have influence over the plains regions in the far western part of the Cercia. Wilder than the orcs, but in many cases wiser, you never know what you're getting into when you see one of these people with you in their sights.)

These will be smaller, but noticeable groups in our story. If the first groups hope at all for stability (which isn't set and done, by the way), they will have to contend with these groups.

3rd: Elves (Classic. Bowmen of the tall trees. Agile, fair skinned, artistic but not industrial. I, and I'm sure some of you, would be remiss if I didn't include these Sylvan men of grace.)
Giants (Let's say they have a range of 12-20 ft (3.5-6m), or 40-60 ft. (12-18m) tall. They have many weaknesses, such as lack of group cohesion, lack of agility or endurance, balanced by their great strength and size. An unprepared force can be totally routed by one of them, but a prepared people may turn the tables. As said, normally peaceful and secluded, but winter may bring some down to find food, whether it's wild grains, or a milk cow. The larger they are, the more severe the weaknesses listed.)
Fey, wolf-people (permanent werewolves), other mythical creatures. PM me, and we'll discuss anything not on here.

A simple character sheet, I ask you to put in as much detail as you wish, and PM myself for approval. If you try, and understand English, I'm sure we can work something out. Please try to fit in how your character feels about other races, the Empire, that sort of thing.

Name:
Physical Description:
Personality:
History:
Sexuality:
Played By:

I'm also looking for a possible Co-GM. Some help is always appreciated, and I have a life beyond RPing (until my conscious is transferred into virtual reality, in which case, we'll move this to there.). I'm much more picky about this position, but remember that I appreciate the attempt.

Character Sheets and OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=178423.msg8492724#msg8492724

I've had experience GMing before, and I hope that we can all have fun together. If I've forgotten to mention something, tell me.
E-Mail: radically.irrelevant@gmail.com

Did you know: "polish" is a word that completely changes it's meaning when you capitalize the first letter?

Vassus

**moved to OOC Thread**

Did you know: "polish" is a word that completely changes it's meaning when you capitalize the first letter?

Strifesblaze7

Is there a point where nobody cares

Vassus

Yes, he could. I can't allow too many at the moment, but, yes. They are typically distrustful of other races, and live in smaller groups than orcs and humans.

Synecdoche17

Quote from: Vassus on June 30, 2013, 04:56:33 PM
Yes, he could. I can't allow too many at the moment, but, yes. They are typically distrustful of other races, and live in smaller groups than orcs and humans.
How about a giant(ess)?
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Ons & Offs, Stories in Progress, and Story Ideas
Absences and Apologies

Vassus

Ah, yes, those as well. I love them, but I can recognise that they're not on most people's radar. Yes, those are definitely allowed, though they are in less demand. I have to set a limit on them, as well as the elves, the centaurs... refer to the priority list. Actually, if anyone is interested, I would be willing to go 1x1 with a giantess, but you would have to PM about that, as it doesn't involve this group.

Synecdoche17

Quote from: Vassus on July 01, 2013, 12:25:12 AM
Ah, yes, those as well. I love them, but I can recognise that they're not on most people's radar. Yes, those are definitely allowed, though they are in less demand. I have to set a limit on them, as well as the elves, the centaurs... refer to the priority list. Actually, if anyone is interested, I would be willing to go 1x1 with a giantess, but you would have to PM about that, as it doesn't involve this group.

How about magic-users? Do the Imperial corps have battlemages or seers? Do the local villages have hedge witches? Do priests/priestesses exist, and of what religions, and do they have powers?
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Absences and Apologies

Strifesblaze7

Vassus

Magic is an interesting position. I typically lean to the side of little or no magic, but It's not just myself who's in this game. I don't want it to be a major part of the game, but I definitely want to listen to my players. Religion? Yes. Alchemy? Yes. Those two I am completely fine with. I imagine orcs taking on the role of tribal religion, with elemental gods, and simple humanoid actions, like the God of War or the Goddess of Birth and Death. Humans would be more focused on human actions and mental states, of certain professions, and even regions. The Imperial cult would be of a much larger scope, trying to incorporate those of the natives. I can imagine: "We can't join you, we would have to give up our gods."

The Imperial agent would reply "No, my friend, we would never ask that. You see, if you look at him clearly, you can see that Tirmioth is actually the same god as ours, Gonrial. He just goes by a new name, is all. There are some gods that you don't know about, but don't worry about that now. And, beyond just being the god of archery and the ground plants, he's also the god of paying your taxes. And, while we're on the subject, those orcs over there are looking very vicious. Now, we might be able to protect you, if you just simply..."

I can imagine orc shamans, covered in paint made from the fungus that grows in the marsh, and humans going to the temple square to listen to the priest divine the will of the gods. And, maybe I can imagine magic from both. Maybe I'm just having a hard time with "battlemages". Magic in combat I'll have to think about, but you can make a holy man, or a seer, that sounds interesting.

Vassus

I'm working on a CS page right now, but before posting there you must PM the sheet to myself for approval.

Strifesblaze7

Vassus

At the very least a paragraph for Physical Description, Personality, and History.

And, for now, I'm going to post the character sheets myself, so that they will all be front and centre, easy to find. Which is why I'm adding a small part of the character sheet.

Strifesblaze7

I'll try to mail it to you tonight. Also can I use an anime picture?

Vassus

Yes. Be reasonable, and I will be totally fine with it. I've always had a much harder time finding good actual photos than I have in other mediums, so I can understand. Especially considering we're dealing with non-humans.

Strifesblaze7

Synecdoche17

Character sheet for Aella Berenike, Imperial officer and battle-mage-priestess, sent.

Absences and Apologies

Drake Valentine

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Vassus

Strifesblaze7

Vassus

Drake Valentine

Few questions. At work and on cell so excuse typos.

Multi Characters?
Post speed?
Desired post length?
Demons? Noticed Lycans mentioned.

Few more, though I need to read better with something more than phone screen.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Vassus

Multi Characters: Yes. You can start out with a maximum of two, but you can add characters if you ask, and it would be good for the RP.
Post Speed: 1-3 times a week. More would be ideal, but I realise life is a pesky wee thing that keeps getting in my way.
Desired Post Length: Two paragraphs or more (though some situations don't give much to respond to in length, such as some dialogue, etcetera.)

Demons? Well, while I'm not going to say no, it would be tougher for me to approve a demon. Everyone seems to have a slightly different definition of demon, which partially why I don't want to actually say "No, no demons". Religion and magic is fun, but there are plenty of RPs where that's a focus, and while that can be an element in this, there are other elements that I would prefer.

That's the long answer. The short answer is that, while other races are preferred, PM me about ideas.