We are swiming in debt...

Started by Revolverman, June 11, 2009, 06:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

consortium11

I don't know the background, so I could well be wrong.

But the article says it's the Stanley Park Hollow Tree Conservation Society who are paying for this. A quick google-fu couldn't find any infomation on them outside of articles on this issue, but I assume they're a private group who raised the money from donations.

If that's the case then why is there an issue about people being swimming in debt? The taxpayer isn't funding this and if people want to spend their money on preventing a 700 year old tree from getting the chop then so be it.

Of course, if it's public money then it's a different issue.

Rhapsody

Quote from: consortium11 on June 11, 2009, 06:34:03 PM
I don't know the background, so I could well be wrong.

But the article says it's the Stanley Park Hollow Tree Conservation Society who are paying for this. A quick google-fu couldn't find any infomation on them outside of articles on this issue, but I assume they're a private group who raised the money from donations.

My quick google-fu unearthed http://www.savethehollowtree.com/id18.html as my second link. :P

According to their website, as of January, they had $30,000 in donations, which is about 1/7th of the funding mentioned in the initial article.

Reading further on their website, the hollow tree is a tourist attraction dating back to the park's official opening in 1888, which is why they're trying to save it. 
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.