Bug Hunt! (A Survival Horror Comedy Game Guaranteed to Make You Squirm!)

Started by Starlequin, December 20, 2011, 12:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starlequin

YEE-HAWW!! Leather up, pals and gals, we're goin' Bug Huntin'!

Oh, come on. Everyone knew it was coming. Armaggedon. The Apocalypse. The Big Fire. World War III, the ultimate climax to the ultimate trilogy, act now to get your signed copy today! Thank God -- or whoever else you want -- that they limited the use of the nukes. Maybe eight total, worldwide? Not so bad. Y'know, unless you were under one of them. Then it kinda sucked to be you, for about a millisecond.

For the rest of us though, it was pretty amazing. Over the course of a three day weekend and the most bitchin' fireworks show ever, our entire species transformed from a bunch of homicidal primates with a collective hard-on for slaughter into a world of enlightened pacifists who just happened to have a lot of WMDs lying around collecting dust. Fastest Renaissance in history.

After the war ended, what was left of the world's goverments started picking up the pieces. Everyone figured that now, finally, at long last humanity would start getting its shit together and solve all our problems. Poverty? Disease? Hunger? Wiped out, man. With the planetary population suddenly cut in half, resources were plentiful again. Poisonous radiation was stripped from the land over the next twenty years, and food supplies were brought back up to pre-war levels with the invention of synthprotein.

It was supposed to be a golden age. I guess nobody ever told us the obvious: world peace is boring as hell. And everybody knows, when you're bored you will do some magnificently stupid shit. Like, I don't know, create a whole new race of genetically engineered super-bugs.

Now to be fair, no one really knows for sure that the bugs were lab-made. Everybody knows radiation in the right doses does some really funky shit to organisms if you give it enough time; plenty of those old Japanese giant-monster documentaries are still around to prove it. But a lot of the skeptics and the conspiracy theorists are pretty sure the whole 'nuclear mutant' explanation is just a little too neat, and that the creatures were created by some classic crackpot mad scientist -- or even better, some clandestine government project, ooh spooky! -- because...well, there are a lot of theories on that score, too; take your pick. Some cockeyed world domination scheme, maybe, or a half-baked attempt at pest control, or breeding the next perfect pet, or simply because life was just too fuckin' dull.

The 'why' doesn't really matter, though. What does matter is that there are a lot of them. They breed like wildfire, they're smart, they're capable of adapting to nearly any environment, and they are a stone-cold bitch to kill. And oh, yeah. They really, really like meat.

We're made of meat.

You can probably guess the rest of the problem. Looks like it's a good thing we've still got all those toys from before the war to play with, huh? So if you're looking for a job with some real fast creds -- or if you just want a little more excitement in your life -- there are plenty of agencies out there working to contain the metabug menace. When contact with the bugs was first established, they pretty much ran wild over hell and creation, but within a few years a lot of re-cobbled military operations managed to push them back into the DZ. (That's 'Desolation Zones,' for the two of you who've been living under a rock.)

Now, every major city and most of the villages positioned along the DZ borders have their own local BugBuster units. From rag-tag outfits to full-on professional teams, there are always nest breakers looking for new blood, so employment is never hard to find. Most crews have...a high turnover rate, to say the least.

The good news is, casualty rates aren't nearly as high as you might think. Teamwork, as you'd probably expect, is highly encouraged. No one goes after a bug alone, nobody gets left behind; them's the rules. Sure, the usual psycho thrill-junkies and lone-wolf badass types are effective as hell in a fight, but they don't usually last long on any decent crew. The bad news, though... well, the bad news explains why bug hunting pays so much. The bugs have a couple of real nasty tendencies (y'know, beside the whole 'being bugs' thing).

For one thing, they like to...play with their food, if you know what I mean. And for another, they don't always eat their victims. Whether they're freaks of evolution or children of mad science, the bugs have developed one hell of a robust breeding system, using both queens and prey as incubators for their young. And they're not picky about gender, either. Getting caught and transformed into a hatchling host isn't always fatal, but the hunters who survive usually aren't interested in getting back to the J-O-B anytime soon. There have even been rumors of hunters and civvies that actually seek out nests with the intent of getting captured for breeding, if you can believe that. Damn, but we're a kinky species, ain't we?

Even the bad news has a bright side, though. Those who do wind up getting captured by the bugs will usually be kept alive long enough to give a crew time to mount a rescue mission. So whaddya got to lose? Kill some bugs, earn some creds, get laid,  be a hero! Come on, you apes. You wanna live forever? (Hehe, I saw that in some old movie a while back. Been wantin' to say it for months.)

This is an interest check for a freeform survival horror game with plenty of room for comedy, drama, romance, and possibly kinky hot-chick-and/or-hot-guy-on-giant-bug sex (but mostly the comedy and kinky sex). This will be placed in the Extreme Small Groups section, so as to allow the bugs to have their fun too.

I'd like to have at least 4-5 players to start, although there will be no upper limit on characters. Recruitment will remain open, and players can enter and leave the game at any time, although there is an underlying story for those who stick it out. As in all my games, while player gender is irrelevant, I would appreciate seeing a fairly even ratio of male / female characters, but this is also flexible.

Writers of all experience levels are welcome to join, but all players should demonstrate a grasp of the following criteria.

Requirements:

-Moderate to advanced levels of literacy should be evident in writing. Capitalization, punctuation and paragraph structure, while not strictly required, will be highly appreciated. I believe games run smoother and are more enjoyable for both players and audiences when they can be read like novels, so some degree of consistency among posting styles is desired.

-In general, replies should be at least two solid paragraphs of 3-5 sentences each. I realize that sometimes one- or two-liners are more appropriate to certain scenes, and in such cases players are of course welcome to write what they feel is appropriate. I'll do my best to keep the game's pace moving, so there will usually be something to respond to.

-Godmoding will be met with swift and terrible retribution. If a player feels it is necessary to assume control of another's  character during a scene, s/he is welcome to do so only after discussing it with that character's player (and perhaps  running it by me, if appropriate). Otherwise, please write within your character's limits, not your own. There IS a difference.

-The GM's word is law.

This won't be a fast paced game, so players won't be expected to respond more than once or twice a week. However, in order to minimize player-vanishings and help maintain pacing, if a player goes more than a week without either a response, a PM, or an explanation for the absence in the OOC thread, I'll assume that player has dropped out of the game and will either suspend or remove their character from play. Also, there will be no set Posting Order unless one is requested by the players for some reason.

The year is 2053. All characters will be (new or old) members of a NestBreaker agency based in the rebuilt city of  Neo-Atlanta, in the south-eastern U.S. All positions are available, from hunters and drivers in the field to office workers and accountants in the office to lab geeks in the R&D labs. Initial assignments will come down from the Head Office (Me) and will range in difficulty; anything is up for play, from rescuing a civilian's pet from a single bug, to repelling a full-scale insect invasion on the streets of Neo-Atlanta to storming a bug stronghold in the DZ and exterminating a nursery before its hatchlings can erupt onto the surface and execute a brand new holocaust against humanity.

Fun times, man.

Character Sheet:

Name:
Orientation:

Appearance: (either pictures or text is acceptable)

Personality:

Bio:

Weapons/Equipment: (Note: Weapons should be limited to projectile and incendiary arms. Energy beam weapons do exist, but are far too large to be used by PCs and instead will be relegated to use as artillery support from ship- and satellite-mounted cannons.)

Limits: (Ons/Offs will be respected)

As always, if anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to contact me. I look forward to writing with you!
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

VillainousMuse

*Ahem*

*Aheh-heh-heeeeem*

*Ahe-Cough! Sputter, wheeeeeeeze!*

I'll get working on a profile as soon as I can tomorrow! :D

Starlequin

*ninjas back in and leaves behind a plate of throat lozenges for VM* Lookin forward to it!  ;D

VillainousMuse

Sanai

Name: Nydia Ellessa
Sex: Female
Orientation: Bisexual

Appearance:
(Ignore the slightly robotic looking skin, think of it as just normal human skin, with a few cyberneticy bits, sockets, etc here and there.)

Personality: Outside of danger, Nydia is endlessly curious and philosophical, but somewhat strange. Something about her just seems strange to other people. She is an unusual person, lacking a full understanding of social boundaries and nuances. When in combat, she is cold, efficient and seemingly fearless.

Bio: Nydia was not born to a normal family, neither did she have a normal upbringing. Nydia was born in a laboratory, with various cybernetic implants and genetic modifications given to her throughout her life, starting when she was an embryo. The aim of the project was simple- to push the boundaries of cybernetics and genetic engineering, to try and create a new generation of enhanced soldier, to replace the huge lack in such research in the time of peace. Nydia never had a real family, the scientists largely uninterested in her feelings or emotional development apart from maintaining psychological stability and stimulating her mind to enable it to think tactically and work as a soldier. She is used to being treated as property, to being tested and modified constantly.

Weapons/Equipment:
LC-19 Advanced Combat Rifle (as Pictured above)
Adaptive Combat Armour Lightweight armour that plugs in cybernetically into Nydia's body. It provides limited adaptive camoflauge (which can hide her visually, but this might not deceive bugs for long, and only hides her when stationary). It also has a limited ability to self repair, though this process usually takes an entire day to refill your average gouge. The materials to self repair are provided cybernetically from Nydia's own bodies energy an nutrient reserves.
Dual Pistols

Cybernetics- Most Internal organs are cybernetic or part cybernetic. Also has subdermal armour, enhanced innume system/self repair via nanobots/genetically engineered cells, enhanced optics, etc.
Likes/Dislikes: I prefer girls but bugs/guys are okay too :p
Limits: Im great with pretty much anything except scat and watersports.
What have I become?
My Sweetest Friend..
Everyone I know..
Goes Away in the End.
You Could have it All...
My Empire of Dirt
I will Let you down...
I will make you Hurt.

Starlequin

Hm, a cyborg, eh? I honestly didn't expect that. I don't see anything too objectionable though, so long as she's not super strong or smart or has thousands of little secret compartments to hold extra guns or bombs or cheezy doodles. Welcome aboard, Sanai!

VillainousMuse

Hey I gotta ask, is there some sort of ruleset or pen and paper book that this RP is derived from? Or are we just picking weapons at random based on what seems cool/fair to us?

Sanai

What have I become?
My Sweetest Friend..
Everyone I know..
Goes Away in the End.
You Could have it All...
My Empire of Dirt
I will Let you down...
I will make you Hurt.

Starlequin

Quote from: VillainousMuse on December 20, 2011, 08:14:08 AM
Hey I gotta ask, is there some sort of ruleset or pen and paper book that this RP is derived from? Or are we just picking weapons at random based on what seems cool/fair to us?

Nyope, no rules, no books, no such nuffin. Everything here came straight from the depths of my tiny widdle mind! You can pick and choose your armaments, and if I feel anything is too overpowered I'll let you know and we can work on toning things down. There will be an armory in-game, so characters will. e able to upgrade fher equipment as befits the missions; I won't send anyone after a nest with a single pistol and a couple clips, so no worries (although you could sill totally find yourselves in that situation  >:) ). Just be reasonable with your starting weaponry is all I ask.

rachelongaku

Name: Zia Melody Laurn
Sex: Female
Orientation: Bi-sexual

Personality: Zia is a very sweet girl. She cares deeply for others and is very loyal to those whom she trusts. She believes herself to have great morals and will point out when someone else does something that she considers highly immoral. Zia is a complete romantic and is very flirtatious.

Bio: Zia was born into a rather well-off family. She was never meant to fight, or do anything of the sort. She was well-educated from a young age learning from her grandparents, and parents. All of whom were alive and well even today. All six of them were highly educated themselves, having nine PhDs in total. Zia spent the most of her  time learning from her grandmother, who was a doctor back in the day. One day, just out of the blue, Zia decided that she didn't want to just stay at home and be a book worm. So she decided to put the medical skills she'd learned from her grandmother to use. Zia began working at a hospital when she was seventeen years old and gained much pretige for her medical knowledge. She is working some place other than the hospital for the first time now. Zia just obtained the position as a medic at a NestBreaker agency. She's terrified of dying and is honestly horrible at combat. She carries a stun gun as a last resort, depending on other members of her group to protect her. The only advantage Zia has out there other than her medical skills is her fast running.

Weapons/Equipment: Medical Equipment and a small stun gun.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

My Character's Likes: Both Boys and Girls, Romance
My Character's Dislikes: NC
Limits: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=127144.msg5609480
Haven't been here in years but I'm in need of a good distraction!

Jason

Well, following that principle, I'll make sure I read it up before my app.

Starlequin

Looks good, Rachel. A medic will almost certainly come in useful, and running away will probably keep her alive much better than a lot of firepower  ;)

Jay, glad to see you interested! I'll look forward to checking out your app when you're ready, mate.

Andalon

Throwing myself in interest wise.

Bug hunting will be fun, especially with some shiny and nifty full auto guns. I'll bring up a character concept tomorrow afterwork (read: winter vacation time, wheee!) Maybe some soldier type character, or some kind of scavanger, depends on what motivating pics I can dig up.

Astrofig

Sounds amazing. If you're still looking for breedingsluts soldiers, I can probably get a sheet up tomorrow.

Starlequin

We still have plenty of room, four or five slots still left open. Just drop in your CSs whenever you're ready. Looking forward to writing with you both!

VillainousMuse

Sorry, totally forgot to put a profile together tonight xD

I'll be sure to get something up tomorrow! :D

Jason

Lots and lots of One on One demands are forcing me to say sorry, but I'm pulling out. Maybe some other time...no, definatelty some other time; this plot is amazing, bravo!

Starlequin

Aw, too bad, Jay. But totally understandable. No worries, mate, I'm planning to have this rolling for a while, so you should be able to jump in anytime down the line. Hope your other games go smoothly, and thanks for stopping by!

Blue Leah

Hey,

I just saw this thread, and figured I might put forward a concept of my own if you're still recruiting.

-TK

Character
Name: Kyle Seine
Sex: Male
Orientation: Heterosexual

Appearance:
Urban Ghillie

Out of Ghillie

Personality: A bit of a perfectionist in some things, and a bit of a slacker in others. When he's in "work mode," he seems to speak and even think in bullet points- ordered, structured, and authoritative. But when he's "casual," he is much more relaxed... and has a slight tendency to ramble and get lost in his own thoughts.

Bio: He doesn't talk about it much, but Kyle started out military. Not because he's ashamed of it, per se- after all, he still displays his marksman ribbons proudly on his "partner's" straps- but because it just... doesn't fit. A person whose whole purpose is to kill other people doesn't really fit in to the new renaissance well... so he'd just let it fade into the background. He'd kept up with his P.T., and kept his old hand-me-down rifle cleaned and upgraded as best he could... and when the Nestbreakers started popping up, he was glad he did. After all, a soldier doesn't do much good in a world full of civilians... but he's certainly useful when you need to hunt down an enemy like the bugs.

Weapons/Equipment: A hand-me-down rifle, that has been re-outfitted and upgraded to better suit the needs of a "modern" marksman.
The Gun
The Gear:
==High powered laser sight
==4/8/12x variable zoom scope
==Improved flash suppressor
The Sidearm

PC Likes: Flirting, banter, body shots.
PC Dislikes: Snobby partners, being talked down to.
Limits: My only major limits are gratuitous blood & torture.

Starlequin

Looks great, TK! Kyle is approved. Now we only need one or two more characters, and then I'll put up the IC and OOC threads.

Note: recruitment will still continue after the game threads go up, so anyone interested in joining can still do so.

Andalon

Will get my char done later tonight. I had some thoughts about both a soldier and a scavanger type of character, without bein able to decide on which one, so I thought of mixing them.

Would be a so called Strider. Think of a Stalker as in the games and books. If that's ok, I will make one up for that. If not, I thought of a scientist'ish char.

Just drop me a note which would be more suitable.

Starlequin

Andalon, either of those concepts will be fine. A scavenger/soldier will fit in nicely with the fireteam we've accumulated so far; maybe as a recon scout or gadget man (or whatevs). We also have plenty of room for science characters, but I should let you know that unless you intend for him/her to join the field team or we get more players to work in the labs, a scientist probably wont have as much to do as the others, at least during the first mission or two. If you want to go that route, though, I can definitely accomodate you.

bubby

*Peers in*

Can I play? Just basically a gunslingin' bitch really. I don't do it in real life but I play one on tv....  ::)

Starlequin

You're more than welcome, bubby. Throw down a CS and  join the party while its hopping!

bubby