News:

Main Menu

So, how large is it?

Started by Lilias, December 26, 2012, 05:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

Yep, and a good mix of slang versus more formal words, too. :-)

Some of them were easy to remind myself of the meanings - uxoricide, for instance, you can sort of assume that it has to do with a form of murder (fratricide, suicide, and of course homicide). I didn't check it because I couldn't recall who was murdering whom.

Keaton

Ons & Offs  Search Thread  Apologies & Absences   Current Stories: 1

Lilias

Quote from: Silverfyre on December 26, 2012, 10:45:43 PM
Believe it or not, more than  few of the harder words were learned from gaming books such as White Wolf's "World of Darkness" and DnD.  Tenebrous, caitiff, hobgoblin, to name a few.  Read more fantasy and learn more words!  Woo!

Word! ;D

The tabletoppers I've played with in Greece were all the kind that aced their language qualifications.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Nameless One

He he he... This test is mischievous, first makes me feel dumb and unlearned, then flatters me telling I probably know more than 31,000 words!
It is "Torment". It is that which draws all tormented souls to you. The flesh knows it suffers, even when the mind has forgotten. And so you wear the rune always.

Ons and Offs

Koren

My results are varying between 30,000 and 35,000 depending on what words are in the test because they do change around. Only a little bit, but enough to make a difference.

The second page does make me feel quite dumb though honestly. But then I suppose thats the point, to find the words most wouldn't know.

Moraline

This test was totally biased. There was no 133t speak or SMS language. I demand a recount!  HAHA...  :P   I did alright.

Star Safyre

* Star Safyre gives the test a sideways eye...

I use academic word lists in my classroom for vaguely gauging my student's reading levels, so I know I walked into knowing too much about these sorts of tests.  I was actually hoping it would have a few nonsensical words to catch the intellectual narcissists.   ::)

P.S. 32,300.  I under-reported a bit just to stay honest.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Oniya

Quote from: Trieste on December 27, 2012, 02:54:15 AM
Yep, and a good mix of slang versus more formal words, too. :-)

Some of them were easy to remind myself of the meanings - uxoricide, for instance, you can sort of assume that it has to do with a form of murder (fratricide, suicide, and of course homicide). I didn't check it because I couldn't recall who was murdering whom.

Yeah, that's the only reason I didn't check that one as well.  Although, it could be a form of pest control: pesticide, bactericide, fungicide...

*Actually looks it up, and then facepalms.*

Let's stick with Trie's interpretation, shall we?  :-[
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

Quote from: Oniya on December 27, 2012, 10:26:17 AM

Or else you'll be going all Pratchett on us and talking about morticide and cidicide. ;)
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Ellipsis

32,100. Better than I thought.

Trieste

Quote from: Oniya on December 27, 2012, 10:26:17 AM
Yeah, that's the only reason I didn't check that one as well.  Although, it could be a form of pest control: pesticide, bactericide, fungicide...

*Actually looks it up, and then facepalms.*

*giggles*

What got me on some of them was the form. I've never seen "pule" before so I didn't check it, but I've seen "puling" a number of times and am well familiar with it. ::)

Torch

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Silverfyre

That's a big vocabulary you got there, Torch.  How many of those words can you fit in your mouth at once?  ;D

Torch

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

On's and Off's

Trieste

Torch

On's and Off's

Lilias

For comparison, I got the link off another forum I frequent, and the highest score there was in the 43K. Only one more had a score of over 40K, but there were several with under 10K or 'too embarrassed to tell'.

We're doing fine, we are. ;D
~Wendell Berry

Silverfyre

Torch

I can swallow my words...with enough warning.

On's and Off's

Lithos

From the thread title I was sure I was reading lords only but it turned out to be such an handy test. I have to admit though that second page was brutal... it was not so much the words as their forms.. I did second time and got 31k so the words change as well.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Neroon

40,600 on my only attempt.

Admittedly, the daily "fun" vocab and anagram quiz in the science faculty common room at lunchtimes has somewhat primed me for this, even if they used American spellings that made me look twice at words like estivation.

Still there are some good ones I have filed away for future use: opsimath, pother, fuliginous, pabulum, valetudinarian and epigone are particularly choice words.  And then there are those that I kicked myself over, like disjunctive, cantle, tatterdemalion and cenacle.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Lithos

We have those about conjugating rare verbs but that is probably due to differences in language :P
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Lilias

You Finns and your 16 cases. :P
~Wendell Berry

HockeyGod

Quote from: Neroon on December 27, 2012, 02:49:24 PM
40,600 on my only attempt.

Admittedly, the daily "fun" vocab and anagram quiz in the science faculty common room at lunchtimes has somewhat primed me for this, even if they used American spellings that made me look twice at words like estivation.

Still there are some good ones I have filed away for future use: opsimath, pother, fuliginous, pabulum, valetudinarian and epigone are particularly choice words.  And then there are those that I kicked myself over, like disjunctive, cantle, tatterdemalion and cenacle.

*admires Neroon's big vocabulary*   O:)

Neroon

It's just compensating for other deficiencies.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy