The Children of Mother Earth (open recruitment)

Started by mj2002, July 31, 2013, 05:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mj2002

At this moment, this scenario has passed the initial recruitment phase and is about to start. If you still want to participate, please post your character sheets. Feel free to include any information you like. Pictures are not required, but encouraged. Playing multiple characters is allowed/ encouraged! Please make sure to include at least the following information;

Name1:
Role2:

Background:
Personality:

Information about sexual preferences (orientation, ons and offs) are not specifically required.

1) Danish/Scandavian for Thule inhabitants, Germanic for Badeners
2) If a role is available by request, please discuss it with me first

TLDR

This roleplay consists of two civilizations/factions in a rather unique post-apocalyptic world that meet each other for the first time.

First, there is island of Thule (Greenland). This pacified communist/ultra-feminist society worships Mother Earth, remains without advanced technology and is ruled solely by women. Men are barred from having any sort of important leadership position, weapons are strictly forbidden, violence is shunned. The utopian society is extraordinarily peaceful, crime is virtually non-existent and life is comfortable.

Secondly, the Great Baden Empire is an imperialistic nation that rose from the ashes of former Europe. It is ruled by dictator and has advanced its technology to the early industrial age. Hungry for expansion and with a dwindling supply of raw materials, the Badeners send out expedition ships across the oceans.

You might see where this is going already. The idea is to let this roleplay start just before one of the expedition ships reaches the island of Thule. How will the people from either side react to the cultural shock?

General Information

* Participants are encouraged to play multiple characters, though preferably not too closely related to each other.

* Participants are expected to be able to reply at least three times per week, in posts of a reasonable size. If you feel you are unable to keep up with the posting frequency or don't have time enough to post in the coming weeks, please look elsewhere.

* I am planning to put this in the Human/NC section of the forums. While not specifically planned, the nature of this plot is somewhat inviting to NC scenes and as such I would like to give people the freedom to roleplay this.

* For those interested, I am looking to receive help organizing this roleplay from a Co-GM. If you're interested in this, please do let me know!

* Those who read this thread and know (without looking it up) where I took this idea from, you receive 10 internet points! Congratulations.

Characters

Island of Thule (min 4, no maximum)
Inhabitants of Thule are both female and male, though the organizational structure of the country is entirely dominated by women. Exceptions are male members of the 'royal' family that sometimes hold somewhat important or honorary positions, and the Rangers. The people are almost exclusively kind spirited, have Scandinavian/Danish-like names and features. People wear clothing that would fit in either ancient Greece, the Roman Empire, or Medieval Europe.

* The Queen - Freya
* The Queen's son - Axel
* Member(s) of the Queen's immediate family (male or female) - available (females, can be next in line. male, uncles, nephews, etc)
* Julianhab Harbormistress - Agnete De Vann
* Inn Owner - Anika
* Female(s) in other leadership position (mayor/harbormaster/etc) - available
* Rangers - available (30s-50s male, experienced trackers and guardians of the wildlife)
* Common people (male or female) - Sigrid, unlimited (possible girlfriend of the Queen's son?)

The Baden Empire's Expeditionary Force (min 4, max 8)
All members (male only) of the expedition are navy/military trained, except for the scientist. They are used to a male dominated society (dictatorship) that is opportunistic and eager to discover new lands. They will most likely have Germanic sounding names and similar statures/physical features. The technology level can be compared with Europe around 1780-1840. Firearms, steam power and electricity have been discovered. Outfits of the people aboard the exploration ship Badenfelder are likely to range from military/naval uniforms from Europe between 1750-1950, with exception of the civilians on board. Whilst most of these men are military, this is not an invasion expedition.

* Expedition Commander/Captain of the Badenfelder - Anders Mueller
* Quartermaster - available
* Scientist - Conrad von Sydow (only one who can talk to the other faction on a reasonable level, because of the language barrier)
* Marines - available, Max Braun
* Diplomat - Baldur Arwin, Hanz von Nassau
* Other roles - available by request (junior scientist, diplomat, whatever else you can come up with)

Story Information

If anything isn't clear to you or you wish to have something elaborated on, please please please just ask! I'll do my best to clarify!

The Island of Thule

The geography of Thule represents Greenland, but with a much more better climate. There's plenty of wildlife, up the occasional bear in the woods in the center of the island. Civilization is mostly limited to the coastline, save for a few villages in land. The capital is the Western city of Gothab (bit difficult to see on the map). The ruling family's summer palace is located on a small island on the East coast, next to the Vastman fishing village. The expedition ship will most likely arrive in the Southern port town of Julianhab.

Map of Thule

The Rangers

The hunters are referred to as Rangers. They're a group of trusted men who are the only men allowed to arm themselves. They look after the wildlife and chase after creatures who form a great threat to society. Even then, they'll still attempt to subdue the animals rather than kill them. They're armed with tranquilizer guns, spears, machetes, bows, nets, etc. They're employed by the national authority, well paid and extremely well respected by the general population. They're the keepers of the wildlife basically.

Technology

The steam engine was invented in Thule 2 centuries prior to our storyline, but banned by the then reigning 'Queen', since it was found to be unhealthy and it consumed a lot of fuel (wood/coal/etc). As such, the main source of power (not electricity) comes from windmills and watermills. This development is somewhat natural in my understanding and the ban isn't explicitly enforced because there's no one breaking these rules. Basically, the women in charge make sure it doesn't happen, which means it doesn't happen.

Justice

There are 'guards' but they're basically the women who are otherwise already in authoritarian positions. They are allowed to carry tranquilizer pistols (I can't believe I forgot these, they're quite important) and can disable people who decide to break the law. As for punishments, the island doesn't know any prisoners, prisons jails or anything of that kind. Anyone who has been found breaking the laws of the island is branded/tattooed on the forehead/face. Depending on the severity of their crime, they have different colors;

- red (for poaching, doesn't come off for at least 3 years)
- green (mistreating nature, disappears within a few months)
- purple (assault, etc 4 years)
- black (murder, 7 years)

As such, anyone branded cannot avoid being seen as a criminal. Women (or men) won't look at you any more if you're branded, you get all the dirty/annoying/difficult jobs that need to be done and in the case of a black stamp, the society will push you out (and take away any children you may have). Being shunned by the rest of society for several years is considered a harsh punishment.

Economy

Thule is a self sufficient island with a Communistic economic system where every individual is free to move around, but is expected to do work in return for food and housing. Specific activities depend location and geography. Fishing, farming and basic workshops are prevalent throughout the island. Mining activity is limited but allowed in certain areas (referred to as "Mijnenstreek" on the map). Basic needs such as food, housing, clothing, etc are provided by the community. Shops are somewhat scarce and provide more specific goods or luxuries.

Language

Thule has its own language, which isn't really based on any real language. Thule trades with the nearby nation of Kanada and as such some people speak Kanadian, which is closely related to English (refered to as British). The Badeners speak a language related to German and some of them know British due to the proximity of the The Baden Empire to the British Islands. Both of these nations are unknown to the people of Thule.
What's the level of both countries' a) medical knowledge and b) medical technology?

Thule's knowledge is fairly limited. It can come as no surprise that they prefer  to use natural medicine of anything else. There is no chemical industry and as such there is no production of synthetic medicine as such. I imagine that there will be people who specify in the arts of healing. There will be small clinics, but that's it.

The Badeners' knowledge will be a little more advanced, mostly out of necessity. They would have hospitals and the beginnings of a chemical industry which allows for some basic medicine production. They don't however have a medical expert or a doctor on board, yet. This may change depending on future character applications. At least one of the men will have some basic first aid knowledge though.

Comparing the Baden Empire with Thule will show that the Badeners are more advanced when it comes to medical knowledge. Comparing the expeditionary force with the island though, it would be more even. Traditional and preventative medicine used by the people of Thule might even be more effective overall.

What's the level of their plumbing - do they have indoor or outdoor toilets? (Weird question I know, thought it would give me a feel for the setting though :P)

Both indoors and outdoors. They have running water.

How much do they know about the world pre-apocalypse? E.g. do they know that the Internet existed?

All the knowledge they have comes from maps and ancient stories. I am going to go ahead and assume that there's no knowledge of the internet at all and whilst the Badaners may have maps, their knowledge remains limited to what they have discovered. As for the people of Thule, theirs is even more limited. Much of this can be attributed to their lack of interest though. They have nearby trading partners, but otherwise they like where they are. They realize that there are probably other peoples around the globe, but direct proof is only available for the country of Kanada and America.

How big is the Baden Empire? Do we know what countries it covers?

It's quite expansive, but not just as large as the Roman Empire. For current Europe, you can assume it covers Western Europe consisting of the current countries of Germany, France, Benelux extending further towards the East as well. Further South and the climate becomes uncomfortably cold. For instance, the Mediterranean is covered in ice.

Do we know how the apocalypse came about and what happened?

Knowledge of the events has become more of a myth as it happened many centuries ago. What is common knowledge though is that a World War took place. A rather sizable explosion (nuclear, but that technology is too advanced for either side to understand) caused the Earth's median to shift which in turn dramatically changed the climate.

eiselmann

Interested

Would prefer to play a member of the Baden Empire

Perhaps a Political Officer and just to make him even more of a pain, a relative (like 2nd cousin or maybe wifes nephew) of the Dictator

If that wouldn't work happy to be a Marine.
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

mj2002

Quote from: eiselmann on July 31, 2013, 06:04:08 AM

Perhaps a Political Officer and just to make him even more of a pain, a relative (like 2nd cousin or maybe wifes nephew) of the Dictator

This is a very interesting concept! Whilst some of the expedition members might be enticed by the alternative society, there's a political officer on board to make sure the doctrine stays firmly ingrained.

Scribbles

Love the idea!

If possible I'd like to submit a princess. It would give me the opportunity to revive a character from a past RP, one which died all too suddenly.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

MadJackal

Interested, but I'm a bit disappointed to see there's no female in the Baden empire's crew :-(

Doomglazer

mj2002

Quote from: Scribbles on July 31, 2013, 07:11:40 AM
Love the idea!

If possible I'd like to submit a princess. It would give me the opportunity to revive a character from a past RP, one which died all too suddenly.
This is possible, though in the current situation only a Queen's sister would be next in line. Other 'princesses' could be part of the ruling family as well though. I'm not really liking the Queen and Princess title for this roleplay, that is likely to be changed. That implies a sense of royalty which isn't really what I am aiming for. The inhabitants of Thule have respect for their ruling family, but they're not a royal family that lives in castles with big walls away from the peasants. I am particularly  happy that you're interested in this roleplay though!

Quote from: MadJackal on July 31, 2013, 07:20:36 AM
Interested, but I'm a bit disappointed to see there's no female in the Baden empire's crew :-(
I understand the disappointment, but that would mess up the dynamics of the story. In some respect, this is a gender conflict story alongside the cultural conflict story. In the future, we might expand the story to include happenings in the Baden Empire itself and if all somehow goes extraordinarily successful, there is a chance for additional expeditions being sent out. Those could have women on board as well. At this time though, we're still in the 'women on board are bad luck' phase, so the crew is male only.

Quote from: Doomglazer on July 31, 2013, 07:46:13 AM
Would love to play a Baden Marine
Excellent!

Scribbles

Quote from: mj2002 on July 31, 2013, 08:02:20 AM
This is possible, though in the current situation only a Queen's sister would be next in line. Other 'princesses' could be part of the ruling family as well though. I'm not really liking the Queen and Princess title for this roleplay, that is likely to be changed. That implies a sense of royalty which isn't really what I am aiming for. The inhabitants of Thule have respect for their ruling family, but they're not a royal family that lives in castles with big walls away from the peasants. I am particularly  happy that you're interested in this roleplay though!

What type of fashion are you leaning towards, for Thule in general?

Also, how about a recently anointed captain of the guard, or something similar?
AA and OO

mj2002

Quote from: Scribbles on July 31, 2013, 08:07:12 AM
Out of curiosity, what type of fashion are you leaning towards, for Thule in general?

Also, how about a recently anointed captain of the guard, or something similar?
I'm sorry, I probably need to elaborate a bit more on this. I have the entire setting in my head, but you can't read that of course. There are no such things as guards. Guards imply weapons and that's not something that is available on Thule, other than for a select group of hunters that keep the wildlife in check. It is completely pacified.

Think of ancient Greece and the Roman Empire for the fashion of those living in Thule. This is the cover of the book where I got this setting from;

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Scribbles

Quote from: mj2002 on July 31, 2013, 08:13:29 AM
I'm sorry, I probably need to elaborate a bit more on this. I have the entire setting in my head, but you can't read that of course. There are no such things as guards. Guards imply weapons and that's not something that is available on Thule, other than for a select group of hunters that keep the wildlife in check. It is completely pacified.

Darn, there goes my dream of creating "that" character which is always close by preaching mistrust and death to the interlopers.

QuoteThink of ancient Greece and the Roman Empire for the fashion of those living in Thule. This is the cover of the book where I got this setting from;

Oooo, I like!

As for a character, I guess I'll try out for the queen's spot or any other spot which might have a more practical application during the RP. I'll wait for you to flesh out the culture's details.
AA and OO

mj2002

Quote from: Scribbles on July 31, 2013, 08:33:48 AM
Darn, there goes my dream of creating "that" character which is always close by preaching mistrust and death to the interlopers.
Whilst the island might be pacified, it doesn't mean that everyone is extremely happy with the arrival of the expedition. There is room for dissent, objections, maybe even sabotage, though violence is harshly punished (by their standards). There could be those that want to expel the explorers, or even bar them from ever leaving again in order to keep their island safe.

The cultures details are fairly fleshed out already, there just not written down because I don't have them all together in my head. Feel free to inquire about it, so that I may expand on the important issues!

IrishWolf

Well this is interesting and I know I have a pair of Jackboots tucked into my closet for just such a situation. I'm down for either an senior enlisted or junior officer of some sort.

Now I do have a suggestion, rather then steam punkish Nazis, could the Great Baden Empire but instead a reborn Prussia?

Where some states have an army, the Prussian Army has a state, Voltaire

Still have extreme militarist society, with strong currents of their race being superior but with the benefits of much cooler uniforms!

mj2002

Quote from: IrishWolf on July 31, 2013, 08:47:01 AM
Well this is interesting and I know I have a pair of Jackboots tucked into my closet for just such a situation. I'm down for either an senior enlisted or junior officer of some sort.

Now I do have a suggestion, rather then steam punkish Nazis, could the Great Baden Empire but instead a reborn Prussia?

Where some states have an army, the Prussian Army has a state, Voltaire

Still have extreme militarist society, with strong currents of their race being superior but with the benefits of much cooler uniforms!

Hi there, I am very happy to see that you're interested in this roleplay. If you're interested in it, then I must be doing something right! I must admit I am a bit set on the steam powered Baden Empire. I appreciate the input, but the entire vision that I have includes the steam powered ships, simple firearms, grey uniforms and military dictatorship. It doesn't make too much sense if the uniforms are so colored. The color for the Baden Empire is grey as are their steel ships.

DarkEnigma

Possible sketch for soldiers?

Slightly pondering on taking the role of chief scientist…. Some blend of Introvert brilliance meets mental instability with a dash of extravagance.

IrishWolf

Quote from: mj2002 on July 31, 2013, 09:10:46 AM
Hi there, I am very happy to see that you're interested in this roleplay. If you're interested in it, then I must be doing something right! I must admit I am a bit set on the steam powered Baden Empire. I appreciate the input, but the entire vision that I have includes the steam powered ships, simple firearms, grey uniforms and military dictatorship. It doesn't make too much sense if the uniforms are so colored. The color for the Baden Empire is grey as are their steel ships.

Oh I never meant to imply that the steam punk elements should be dropped. It was more of a jab at the Empire being described as Nazis (but steam punk!). I mean, everyone who wants to created an "evil empire" goes to the default Nazis (but this!) route. I think it's a little more fun to jump on other forms of German Military Governments myself, heeheehee. Implying that this faction in a work of fiction are Nazis, at least in my experience, is a bland way of letting the "bad guys" act like dicks, for the sake of them being unlikeable dicks. On the other hand, implying Prussian, implies such characters are proud, militaristic, aristocratic, have some code of honor but most of all, professional soldiers. 

As to the color, well colors make just as much sense as grey, in a combat sense. Grey really wouldn't blend in except against stone of that shade or in a very modern city. Plus, in a personal way I suppose, I find the colored Prussian uniforms to be many times more impressive then a grey uniform. I would be much more in awe of men in black boots, dark or light blue uniforms with red or gold trim and tassels, wearing black leather helmets emblazon with a coat of arms in gold. At least for me, watching men parade passed in a bold uniform would stirred my heart greater then grey, make me want to follow their banners or at least work very hard to support that.

Plus I love the look of the uniforms of the British, French, Prussians and Russians of the mid to late 1800s.

But in the end, its all up to you and I'm game whether or not any of my suggestions take effect.

mj2002

Quote from: IrishWolf on July 31, 2013, 11:01:02 AM
Oh I never meant to imply that the steam punk elements should be dropped. It was more of a jab at the Empire being described as Nazis (but steam punk!). I mean, everyone who wants to created an "evil empire" goes to the default Nazis (but this!) route. I think it's a little more fun to jump on other forms of German Military Governments myself, heeheehee. Implying that this faction in a work of fiction are Nazis, at least in my experience, is a bland way of letting the "bad guys" act like dicks, for the sake of them being unlikeable dicks. On the other hand, implying Prussian, implies such characters are proud, militaristic, aristocratic, have some code of honor but most of all, professional soldiers. 

As to the color, well colors make just as much sense as grey, in a combat sense. Grey really wouldn't blend in except against stone of that shade or in a very modern city. Plus, in a personal way I suppose, I find the colored Prussian uniforms to be many times more impressive then a grey uniform. I would be much more in awe of men in black boots, dark or light blue uniforms with red or gold trim and tassels, wearing black leather helmets emblazon with a coat of arms in gold. At least for me, watching men parade passed in a bold uniform would stirred my heart greater then grey, make me want to follow their banners or at least work very hard to support that.

Plus I love the look of the uniforms of the British, French, Prussians and Russians of the mid to late 1800s.

But in the end, its all up to you and I'm game whether or not any of my suggestions take effect.
I get what you're saying. The Badeners aren't necessarily unlikable dicks though. I probably should not have mentioned Nazi's at all, it was just a reference. The uniforms aren't really an important factor, I'm just going by the original on this. If people want something different, then I don't see a problem with that.

Flassche, that looks quite fun, but it's they don't look all that outlandish. It isn't steam punk in the sense of advancing technology, in my vision it is more historically accurate. So just older.

mj2002

I'm not sure if there is enough interest to advance at this time. Are there any others interested? I don't think this can really work if there aren't at least 8-10 characters. As stated in the OP, multiple characters per participant are welcome.

MagicalPen

I could be interested in playing the 'Prince' in this. Quite like the idea of a 'Utopian' society that has some major gender issues ;)

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

mj2002

This still needs a few more before we start, especially characters on Thule island. An expedition commander hasn't yet applied either, I think. If we have 3-4 more, we can make this happen!

Sanai

This looks fascinating. I could go in for the Queens son? Otherwise a Marine or something?
What have I become?
My Sweetest Friend..
Everyone I know..
Goes Away in the End.
You Could have it All...
My Empire of Dirt
I will Let you down...
I will make you Hurt.

mj2002

Quote from: Sanai on August 01, 2013, 09:26:32 AM
This looks fascinating. I could go in for the Queens son? Otherwise a Marine or something?
I received some more personal messages and along with your post, I think there is enough interest to get recruitment started.

I'll be updating the first post (or make a new one, I haven't decided yet) with the definitive character slots and additional background information. On that last issue, please please please ask for clarification if something is not entirely clear. I have most of this worked out in my head, but there's not enough written down yet. Please ask so we can flesh things out!

Any others who wish to express there interest are still welcome to do so. Either side has room for more!

Sanai

A few questions-
What kind of status do the hunters have in society? Are they shunned because of the violent nature of their work? Do they live with the other people or do they live somewhat apart? Is there some kind of requirement they must fulfill before being trusted with their weapons?

Secondly, how are the rules against violence and technological advancement enforced? Is there some kind of formal group who keep an eye on those things, pass judgement and enforce punishment (like police) or is it an informal/cultural arrangement where it just sort of happens automatically when someone does something wrong?
What have I become?
My Sweetest Friend..
Everyone I know..
Goes Away in the End.
You Could have it All...
My Empire of Dirt
I will Let you down...
I will make you Hurt.

mj2002

Quote from: Sanai on August 01, 2013, 09:58:09 AM
A few questions-
What kind of status do the hunters have in society? Are they shunned because of the violent nature of their work? Do they live with the other people or do they live somewhat apart? Is there some kind of requirement they must fulfill before being trusted with their weapons?
I had to look this up actually. The hunters are referred to as Rangers. They're a group of trusted men who are the only men allowed to arm themselves. They look after the wildlife and chase after creatures who form a great threat to society. Even then, they'll still attempt to subdue the animals rather than kill them. They're armed with tranquilizer guns, spears, machetes, bows, nets, etc. They're employed by the national authority, well paid and extremely well respected by the general population. They're the keepers of the wildlife basically.

Quote from: Sanai on August 01, 2013, 09:58:09 AM
Secondly, how are the rules against violence and technological advancement enforced? Is there some kind of formal group who keep an eye on those things, pass judgement and enforce punishment (like police) or is it an informal/cultural arrangement where it just sort of happens automatically when someone does something wrong?

It's not really enforced as such. This too I had to look up ^^. The steam engine was invented in Thule 2 centuries prior to our storyline, but banned by the then reigning 'Queen', since it was found to be unhealthy and it consumed a lot of fuel (wood/coal/etc). As such, the main source of power (not electricity) comes from windmills and watermills. This development is somewhat natural in my understanding and the ban isn't explicitly enforced because there's no one breaking these rules. Basically, the women in charge make sure it doesn't happen, which means it doesn't happen.

As for the Police, there are 'guards' but they're basically the women who are otherwise already in authoritarian positions. They are allowed to carry tranquilizer pistols (I can't believe I forgot these, they're quite important) and can disable people who decide to break the rules. As for punishments, the island doesn't know any prisoners, jails or anything of that kind. Anyone who has been found breaking the laws of the island is branded/tattooed on the forehead/face. Depending on the severity of their crime, they have different colors;

- red (for poaching, doesn't come off for at least 3 years)
- green (mistreating nature, disappears within a few months)
- purple (assault, 4 years)
- black (murder, 7 years)

As such, anyone branded cannot avoid being seen as a criminal. Women (or men) won't look at you any more if you're branded, you get all the dirty/annoying/difficult jobs that need to be done and in the case of a black stamp, the society will push you out (and take away any children you may have). Being shunned by the rest of society for several years is considered a harsh punishment.

mj2002

I've opened this up for recruitment. I've somewhat updated the first post with additional information, such as a character sheet and some more cultural information. If there's other information you'd like to know more about, please do ask and I'll try to elaborate! Any questions or requests for a certain role, please feel free to ask!

Charlemagne

IrishWolf

Could we get some more information about the Great Baden Empire mj2002?

Have there been recent wars for the empire? Are these wars over and the expedition ships the best was for military officers to advance their careers? Or are there still threats of wars close to the Fatherland but these expeditions the best chance at adventure?

Could you better define the weapons tech? 1780-1840 saw a lot of development for firearms, from flintlock, to percussion cap to even needle guns, (which were the first bolt actions firearms, with paper cartridges). Pistols went from single shot, to multiple shot pepper-box pistols and revolvers.

Does the dictator have a name and titles (Emperor, General of the Armies, Supreme General, Grand Marshal, ect ect ect)?

Colored uniforms or grey?

mj2002

Quote from: IrishWolf on August 01, 2013, 05:39:40 PM
Could we get some more information about the Great Baden Empire mj2002?

Have there been recent wars for the empire? Are these wars over and the expedition ships the best was for military officers to advance their careers? Or are there still threats of wars close to the Fatherland but these expeditions the best chance at adventure?

Could you better define the weapons tech? 1780-1840 saw a lot of development for firearms, from flintlock, to percussion cap to even needle guns, (which were the first bolt actions firearms, with paper cartridges). Pistols went from single shot, to multiple shot pepper-box pistols and revolvers.

Does the dictator have a name and titles (Emperor, General of the Armies, Supreme General, Grand Marshal, ect ect ect)?

Colored uniforms or grey?
The Baden Empire hasn't been at war very recently, but its existence is the result of wars among the new start up factions of former Europe. Their only neighbor that I am aware of is the British Empire, which is significantly smaller and less powerful. This would probably be the only threat nearby, but they are not at war as far as I am aware. They're more focused on trade, mostly with Kanada and what's left of America.

Expedition ships aren't necessarily good for the careers of the officers/marines, but they do offer a chance to explore the world and get away from the Empire for those who don't really like the place. The Baden Empire though has trouble with its environment as they have exhausted most of the raw materials. They're looking to expand and the expeditions are the first step.

I'd better define the weapons technology for you, but my knowledge of this is simply limited. What they have on board are flintlock rifles and multishot pistols. As I said before, it's an exploration mission so their armament in limited. They do however have an onboard cannon that could probably do significant damage. Again, my knowledge is limited here. More advanced than those you see on sail warships but less advanced than World War 1 stuff.

I'm going to go with grey uniforms still, sorry. ^^

mj2002

No applications? I thought there was some interest, oh well.

IrishWolf

Well I have two characters planned out but with no one else throwing up character profiles, it doesn't seem worth the time to write them up. Sorry mj2002.

Scribbles

Sorry, wasn't aware it was open for apps yet. Will get started, just need to decide on a charry. I want someone with a practical role, which can be applied during the course of the RP, but the jobs seem to blend a little. For example, a mayoress sounds as if she'd work a little as a councillor/advisor, along with any other influential characters. Am I understanding this correctly?
AA and OO

mj2002

Quote from: Scribbles on August 04, 2013, 03:31:44 AM
For example, a mayoress sounds as if she'd work a little as a councillor/advisor, along with any other influential characters. Am I understanding this correctly?
Yes you are. When someone holds an important position, they're automatically considered (naturally fall into the role of) as advisers/councillors, etc. They'll be asked to assist the more influential people, etc.
Quote from: IrishWolf on August 04, 2013, 03:27:39 AM
Well I have two characters planned out but with no one else throwing up character profiles, it doesn't seem worth the time to write them up. Sorry mj2002.
Someone has to be the first though.

eiselmann

Name1: Anders Mueller
Role: Commanding Officer

Background: Born into a wealthy and regionally powerful family in Baden, he is the third son and fourth child of Gert and Heidi. When he was four his mothers sister Elke married the Great Leader propelling the family into one of the most powerful families in the Empire. Anders went to the best schools and at sixteen joined Military College and graduated two years later. Joining the Kriegesmarine. Official performance reports for the next four years show that he was an extremely high performer in all aspects of his duty, the preformance reports made by a representative of the Great leader(no one in the regiment knows this person exists amongst them) shows a generally high performing officer with strong tactical ability, solid planning capability but poor strategic , more feared than respected. Politically reliable.

At 22 Anders was moved to Military Headquarters and served as a staff officer for the Commander of the Kriegesmarinetrained in this role he excelled , his official and secret performance reports almost matched.  At 37 he married Kristiana Von Holstein a 19 year old beauty. They now have two children three year old Elke and two year old Karl-Heinz.

Anders treats his wife with love and respect however he has access to elite clubs where women are available for use , he prefers his women compliant but has no issue breaking them he has an extremely high sex drive requiring multiple women to keep him satisfied.   

Personality: Is calm rational and presents a happy face to the men, but he misses little forgives less and has no issue destroying careers , he is feared rather than respected and is certainly not loved , of course none show that side to him.

People know his link to the Leader and are wary of it , High rank officers however cultivate his favour because while he can't just walk into his Uncles office without an appointment...he can get an appointment when so many can't , plus he has full access during private family events.

260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

mj2002

TheDreadPirateRoberts

I think this sounds pretty interesting, is the role of the rulers son still open?

mj2002

MagicalPen has expressed interest in this role as well, but so far he hasn't posted a character sheet. First come first serve.

Qt

I'm interested though it might take me time to think up what I would like to play.

mj2002

Quote from: Qt on August 06, 2013, 03:29:14 PM
I'm interested though it might take me time to think up what I would like to play.
That's alright, I don't think anyone here is in a great hurry.

Scribbles

Still trying to come up with a nice character myself, I'm currently leaning toward a tavern/inn owner. That or an experienced tracker/huntress or an influential mill owner/councillor (if that's possible).
AA and OO

mj2002

Quote from: Scribbles on August 07, 2013, 01:08:46 PM
Still trying to come up with a nice character myself, I'm currently leaning toward a tavern/inn owner. That or an experienced tracker/huntress or an influential mill owner/councillor (if that's possible).
All those sound good to me, though female trackers/huntresses are somewhat uncommon, still you can do that without any issue. Councillors are good too, mayors, port mistress are all good as well. If you really want to go for an influential position, there's room in the ruling family for basically any role you could want.

SugarAndSpice

This sounds really interesting and I have an idea for a possible characters. Quick question though before I put my character up, what do you consider to be an acceptable post length for this?

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 07, 2013, 03:05:05 PM
This sounds really interesting and I have an idea for a possible characters. Quick question though before I put my character up, what do you consider to be an acceptable post length for this?
This depends on the situation. Generally, I like to go with posts that are 2-3 paragraphs long (or more if you feel so inclined) but sometimes shorter posts work best in conversations or simply when the contents of a post don't represent a long time frame.

SugarAndSpice

Thanks :) Give me a bit of time and I will put up a character, I'm thinking of a harbour mistress, can I pick a particular harbour town or is there somewhere specific you'd like?

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 07, 2013, 03:18:20 PM
Thanks :) Give me a bit of time and I will put up a character, I'm thinking of a harbour mistress, can I pick a particular harbour town or is there somewhere specific you'd like?
Assuming the expedition arrives at the Southern most point of the island, the position of harbor mistress/mayor of Julianhab would make sense. This character plays an important role as she will likely be the first leading figure to come in contact with the foreigners. As such, she'll be considered somewhat of an expert from then on, assuming she wants to take that role, and be dragged into the plot as it unfolds.

SugarAndSpice

Name: Agnete De Vann
Role:  Harbour Mistress of Julianhab

Background: Agnete's family has always been part of the fabric of Julianhab, her first memories are of standing at the very front of one of her family's fishing boats and not being scared because she could swim "better than a fish" as her mother said. Her strong head for business and managing people meant it was no surprise to anyone that Agnete rose to the rank of Harbour mistress. She married her husband Bjarke when she was 23, and he helps run her family's still thriving fishing business. They have a  nine year old daughter Carina.

Personality: Though she is shrewd and some what aloof at the business table. Outside ofoffice hours Agnete is warm and friendly. She loves her family and enjoys her work, especially when she gets to talk with the traders from Kanada, many of whom she is good friends with. She also thinks that society should start to show a little more faith in men, if they can prove themselves on a fair ground.

(Let me know what you think :) )

mj2002

Looks good! Don't get too carried away with the business atmosphere though, it's somewhat of a communist utopia still. ^^

SugarAndSpice

I understand but there is still an element of organisation and management :) I'll keep an eye on this thread so I know when we start playing :) I have to go now, talk soon.

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 07, 2013, 03:53:14 PM
I understand but there is still an element of organisation and management :) I'll keep an eye on this thread so I know when we start playing :) I have to go now, talk soon.
Don't worry about it, just giving a heads up!

SugarAndSpice

I've been thinking about this and I have a couple of questions. Can women be a member of The Rangers? Also is there any indication of authority in what people wear? I was thinking an equivalent to a mayoral chain. Also how do you think the towns would be set out, I have an idea myself, of things being very communal (kitchens, crèches etc), centred around the harbour, I also had an idea that the harbour mistress (whoever she is) moves into a specific house in town, which is quite grand by Thule standards but not by Baden. Also attitude towards pets? Thoughts?

mj2002

It's not common for women to be part of the Rangers, though I don't really see a reason why to make an exception. There would have to be some kind of explanation for it in the character's biography, though. As for the towns, think a little more medieval, ancient Greece. There's no need for crèches, as there's  enough time for the parents to take care of their children. If not, a neighbor would be willing to look after them. As for kitchens, I would imagine that every citizen is able to live comfortably enough not to have to go to a communal kitchen. If you're looking for avenues of interaction with other citizens, think more along the lines of parks and the harbor. A city on the coast is usually centered around it's harbor, unless there's something else of great importance in that town (I can't really think of anything at this time), as fishing is a rather important part of the country's economy.

The harbor mistress would most likely move into a different house, perhaps one close by the harbor itself in order to be close to her office. Thule doesn't have classes other than the ruling family though, so an exceptionally large house would be frowned upon. As for pets, I would imagine dogs and cats are  the norm, but wilder animals wouldn't be allowed as domesticated animals.

If you have other questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them!

SugarAndSpice

Thanks mj, that's helpful, I was asking about The Rangers because I was thinking Agnete's daughter wants to join them when she's older, or shows an aptitude for their kind of work.

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 08, 2013, 07:48:28 AM
Thanks mj, that's helpful, I was asking about The Rangers because I was thinking Agnete's daughter wants to join them when she's older, or shows an aptitude for their kind of work.
It is unusual, but a girl can always dream!

Scribbles

Sorry for the wait, it took some time to decide on a character which suited the set requirements...

Name1: Anika
Role2: Violet Chalice Owner

Background:
After her parents died to illness, Anika was forced into the role of hostess for the Violet Chalice, a high class inn and relaxation hub. The Violet Chalice is a massive building of marble with a magnificent indoor pool dominating the center while three spits, circled by lounge chairs, surround its edges. Purple acts as the primary colour beside borders of gold for the interior silks, adorning walls and seats alike. This scheme is mimicked upstairs, in the bedrooms. The staff includes a few handsome male servants attired in silken white togas whose roles include serving nourishment, cleaning, picking grapes and NOTHING else. The few female staff fall into the roles of cooks and managers.

Anika's establishment normally caters to the needs of foreigners and passers-by, offering drink, entertainment and rest for the bored and weary. Despite her role as hostess however, she isn't considered the main employer and earns very little, if anything, from the Violet Chalice itself. In the end, like most, Anika answers to the state. The Inn also acts as a small vineyard, a place where guests can walk in peace under the cool shade of vines as well as where the juicy red grapes are picked for its speciality wine, the Violet Spirit.

Personality:
Anika is a hostess above all else, one who has deftly played the part after the unfortunate passing of her parents. For three years now she has established herself as a kind, if unintentionally blunt, woman. She just can't help blurting out whatever comes to mind, a trait many dislike despite the fact that she rarely intends any offence. She has little care for politics and is more interested in performing her duties as hostess as well as simply having fun in the process. She does have a strict side however which shows itself whenever someone gets too intimate with the staff or simply behaves recklessly within the inn.
AA and OO

SugarAndSpice

Hey, mj a friend of mine is interested in the rp, but we'll have to wait for her to be accepted into E first, is that okay?

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 10, 2013, 11:51:27 AM
Hey, mj a friend of mine is interested in the rp, but we'll have to wait for her to be accepted into E first, is that okay?
We're not in a hurry!

Quote from: Scribbles on August 10, 2013, 11:19:00 AM
Sorry for the wait, it took some time to decide on a character which suited the set requirements...

Name1: Anika
Role2: Violet Chalice Owner

Background:
After her parents died to illness, Anika was forced into the role of hostess for the Violet Chalice, a high class inn and relaxation hub. The Violet Chalice is a massive building of marble with a magnificent indoor pool dominating the center while three spits, circled by lounge chairs, surround its edges. Purple acts as the primary colour beside borders of gold for the interior silks, adorning walls and seats alike. This scheme is mimicked upstairs, in the bedrooms. The staff includes a few handsome male servants attired in silken white togas whose roles include serving nourishment, cleaning, picking grapes and NOTHING else. The few female staff fall into the roles of cooks and managers.

Anika's establishment normally caters to the needs of foreigners and passers-by, offering drink, entertainment and rest for the bored and weary. Despite her role as hostess however, she isn't considered the main employer and earns very little, if anything, from the Violet Chalice itself. In the end, like most, Anika answers to the state. The Inn also acts as a small vineyard, a place where guests can walk in peace under the cool shade of vines as well as where the juicy red grapes are picked for its speciality wine, the Violet Spirit.

Personality:
Anika is a hostess above all else, one who has deftly played the part after the unfortunate passing of her parents. For three years now she has established herself as a kind, if unintentionally blunt, woman. She just can't help blurting out whatever comes to mind, a trait many dislike despite the fact that she rarely intends any offence. She has little care for politics and is more interested in performing her duties as hostess as well as simply having fun in the process. She does have a strict side however which shows itself whenever someone gets too intimate with the staff or simply behaves recklessly within the inn.

Hey Scribbles, this looks great!

A few notes. While I understand what you're trying to get across, do understand that there are no 'classes' on the island nation. Everyone is valued equally, men included. It is probably more suitable to stress that the place is really beautiful instead. Did you want to have your establishment situated in the capital city or the port city where the ship first reaches land?

SugarAndSpice

Thanks mj :)

I think it sounds like a place that would be in a city rather than what I'm imagining as a busy commercial port.

SugarAndSpice

Also my friend is oceanspool, she put up her intro thread today, feel free to go ask he questions and stuff :D

MagicalPen

Name: Axel
Role: 'Prince' of Thule

Background: Born the Prince of Thule, the title is almost meaningless since he will never rule over the land. Axel has used his status to his advantage whenever possible - learning as much as he can, speaking the various languages and dialects found in Thule, and learning about these other cultures from which they come. Axel quite enjoys life in Thule though over recent years he has started to form his own opinions on certain subjects - the line of Rule being the formost on his mind. Why, as the only Heir to the throne, can he not rule? If all are treated as equals, then does not a man have an equal chance to rule, to become King?

Such thoughts have planted a dark seed in his mind but he is in no position to take action on such things, yet. Men are physically superior to woman - so much can be seen just in the physical make up of your average man and woman - and women are no more intelligent then man. So why can't a man rule? Axel has many unanswered questions but is treading carefully not to upset the balance on Thule. His people are peaceful, as is he.

Personality: Axel is rather unassuming and does not seek favors from others due to his position in society, but would rather use it to gain access to information that he might not normally behold. He is also fully aware that he is meant to marry - and soon - though he would just as rather hold off on such matters for as long as possible.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

mj2002

Great stuff!

We still need some people on the side of the expeditionary force though. I hope we can get some applications there as well, otherwise it'll be quite a small crew!

SugarAndSpice

Hey MJ,

Oceanspool is making a Baden Marine, she's wants to know, after they have gone through recruitment and training and everything, what is minimum age for a new member of marines and would a young one be sent on a mission like this?

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 10, 2013, 03:23:12 PM
Hey MJ,

Oceanspool is making a Baden Marine, she's wants to know, after they have gone through recruitment and training and everything, what is minimum age for a new member of marines and would a young one be sent on a mission like this?
As it concerns an expeditionary force, I would assume that the crew would consist of resourceful yet strong young men who had at least seen some combat already. They won't want to be seen with old men on board, as it wouldn't give a powerful impression. Yet anyone under 23 would be considered too inexperienced to take on a mission such as this. The marines can't be too twitchy or aggressive. They might be marines of the Baden Empire, but they're not brainless muscle on their way to invade.

Does that answer it? If you need more info, just ask!

MagicalPen

I just noticed that all our Thulians (?) first names begin with A...

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

mj2002

Quote from: MagicalPen on August 10, 2013, 03:32:17 PM
I just noticed that all our Thulians (?) first names begin with A...
All our Badeners as well!

SugarAndSpice

Lol A is a very good letter.

Will you be playing a character MJ?

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 10, 2013, 03:37:30 PM
Lol A is a very good letter.

Will you be playing a character MJ?
I'm still contemplating on this. It might be necessary since theres very few people willing to take on major characters such as the 'Queen' and the Expedition Commander. However, I'd like to give people a chance to take those roles if they wish.

SugarAndSpice

I'd try and do two characters, but I'm not that strong at writing male characters and it would get awkward if those characters had to talk to each other :/

MagicalPen

I'd consider playing a male on the other side, but only as a last resort...as I'm starting a big Fantasy game of my own and running a few other smaller ones.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

mj2002

Don't feel obligated to submit more characters. I'm only encouraging people who can actually spare the time and really want to do that. Once we get some of the key roles filled up, I would be happy to play some support roles on either side. That's the ideal outcome as far as I am concerned. If we don't get that far, I'd be willing to play a key role as well. I just don't want to take them away from any prospective participants.

SugarAndSpice

If we can find a Queen and an Expedition leader I think we'd have a good group to start with.

SugarAndSpice

Question :D What are the views on homosexuality in Thule and Baden?

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 10, 2013, 04:09:54 PM
Question :D What are the views on homosexuality in Thule and Baden?
I believe this isn't actually addressed in the books. I would imagine there being no problem on Thule. In Baden, people might look differently on this. Especially a marine wouldn't be open about that sort of thing.

SugarAndSpice

How would messages be delivered between cities in Thule? I'm thinking either pidgeons or riders on horses.

mj2002

Horse riders would seem more logical to me.

SugarAndSpice

Cool, any idea how long it would take a message to travel from Julianheb to Gothab and back again? Was wondering how long Agnete will have to keep an eye on these Baden men.

SugarAndSpice

Also, is Thule aware of any other places in the world other than Kanada? Could they have heard about Britain and Baden?

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 11, 2013, 09:15:21 AM
Cool, any idea how long it would take a message to travel from Julianheb to Gothab and back again? Was wondering how long Agnete will have to keep an eye on these Baden men.
I'd say, depending on the conditions, at least several days. The distance is quite a bit.

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 11, 2013, 09:18:31 AM
Also, is Thule aware of any other places in the world other than Kanada? Could they have heard about Britain and Baden?
This is unlikely. The only place they might have heard about is America, but that's just a war torn country consisting of tribes.

eiselmann

Happy to have my chap be the CO of the expedition either in addition to being Political officer or instead of ...don't have to change much other than a little service history to turn him into the CO.

Ironically I didn't request the CO role from the start as I expected it to be hotly contested.

My ons and offs link

mj2002

Quote from: eiselmann on August 11, 2013, 01:11:39 PM
Happy to have my chap be the CO of the expedition either in addition to being Political officer or instead of ...don't have to change much other than a little service history to turn him into the CO.

Ironically I didn't request the CO role from the start as I expected it to be hotly contested.
It's available if you wish to switch to CO!

eiselmann

Cool I've a few posts to do and some rl stuff but will adjust the bio , he'll still be related to the big man at the top.

My ons and offs link

mj2002

Scribbles

Quote from: mj2002 on August 10, 2013, 12:32:55 PM
We're not in a hurry!

Hey Scribbles, this looks great!

A few notes. While I understand what you're trying to get across, do understand that there are no 'classes' on the island nation. Everyone is valued equally, men included. It is probably more suitable to stress that the place is really beautiful instead. Did you want to have your establishment situated in the capital city or the port city where the ship first reaches land?

I'm guessing they'll be ushered towards the Capital before long, so there I guess. Unless you'll have the foreigners staying at the palace, then I'll pick the harbour.
AA and OO

eiselmann

Have changed my character bio (page two ) to reflect his status as CO.

Made him a little older and turned him into a career staff officer , making this mission his first real command.

My ons and offs link

SugarAndSpice

Well done on Anders for getting promoted lols, now we just need a Queen. Also I was wondering how different are Kanadian and British? are they like dialects?

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 12, 2013, 05:05:26 AM
Well done on Anders for getting promoted lols, now we just need a Queen. Also I was wondering how different are Kanadian and British? are they like dialects?
They originate from the same language, but seeing as they've been apart for quite some time, differences will be obvious. With some difficulty, someone able to speak some Kanadian and someone able to speak some British would be able to understand each other.

SugarAndSpice

I advertised this to a couple of people I know but I haven't had any replies yet :/

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 13, 2013, 01:38:12 PM
I advertised this to a couple of people I know but I haven't had any replies yet :/
Still patiently hoping that more people will sign up. We're still short on a few.

oceanspool

Hey everyone! I'm Sugar's friend. Call me Ocean :D I've been lurking here for a couple of days, and I just got approved so I'm going to go right ahead and post my character profile :D I really like this RP and I hope it gets off the ground ^^

Name: Max Braun

Role: Marine

Background: Max grew up as the youngest child in a very loving, very smothering and very over-protective female household, his father having walked out on the family years ago. After spending most of his life being squashed by three well-meaning older sisters, Max has a healthy thirst for adventure and a determination to prove himself away from people who see him only as 'little Maxi'. So naturally he joined the Marines as soon as he left school. A few years of basic training churned out a competent and well-rounded Marine who leapt at the chance to go on an exploratory mission to a country unknown to the Empire. After having to take on a job outside of school hours to help support his family, Max knows the value of hard work and won't hesitate to call out anyone that isn't pulling their weight.

Personality: He may have grown up poor and gone through military training, but young Maxi still has an innocence at heart that he is desperate to get rid of. The right girl (or boy...?) has yet to come along and he's always the last one to get a dirty joke. He takes teasing stoically and will occasionally retaliate with a well-aimed prank. Other Marines tend to treat him as a little brother, which frustrates him quite a lot. He sees the mission as his chance to be on equal footing with his crew in a country that none of them know anything about. Max doesn't hold any strong political views and is happy with the way things are run in the Empire, but he hasn't known any other way of life – maybe the drastically different culture of Thule will open his eyes, or maybe he'll be glad that he's grown up in technology-driven Baden and not in some olde-worlde hippie backwater where women call the shots.

Picture:

Let me know if I need to change anything!

mj2002

Oooh, very interesting background!

(Accepted)

SugarAndSpice

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 14, 2013, 09:44:21 AM
Do the Rangers have a uniform?
If anything, it would be clothing that's useful for the task at hand. But a uniform, something designed to command respect is not possible for men. They don't really have them for women either.

ElvenKitten

Name: Freya
Role: Queen of Thule

Background: Freya was reluctant to take the throne but her older sister was killed in a tragic accident. She wasn't trained for the responsibilities as queen but has seemed to manage. Her husband died of a rare illness before her son was born. Over the years she has had a few male and female lovers though the father of her son will always have a place in her heart.

She has mostly ruled in peace and plenty so far and hasn't had to deal with any major problems yet. She often disguises herself and goes out among her people so she can know what her people want and what they honestly think of her.

Personality: She is kind and loving considers her people to be like her children and sometimes will risk her own life for the good of the kingdom. It isn't easy to make her angry but when it does happen it's usually best to be well away from her. Freya can be very affectionate toward those she likes sometimes beyond the bounds of royal protocol. She always feels like her sister would have been a better ruler and so is always pushed to do better.

SugarAndSpice

The queen doesn't have any daughters, she only has a son Axel, who is being played by MagicalPen (see page 3)

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 15, 2013, 10:52:36 AM
The queen doesn't have any daughters, she only has a son Axel, who is being played by MagicalPen (see page 3)
Yes, I missed that myself as well. She doesn't have any daughters.

oceanspool

mj2002

SugarAndSpice

I've had an idea for a navigator for the Baden ship, which I could flesh out and use if needed.

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 18, 2013, 01:15:23 PM
I've had an idea for a navigator for the Baden ship, which I could flesh out and use if needed.
As Ive mentioned for, playing multiple characters (preferably on opposing sides) is somewhat encouraged. Make sure you have the time for it though.

Moon Hound Hati

Interested in playing the part of Baden's scientist. I'll get a sheet up in the morning. Should be fun.
Lingerie is like wrapping paper for the best present in the world     the female body.

mj2002

Quote from: Moon Hound Hati on August 18, 2013, 06:44:46 PM
Interested in playing the part of Baden's scientist. I'll get a sheet up in the morning. Should be fun.
Excellent!

Moon Hound Hati

Name: Conrad von Sydow
Role: Scientist and Archaeologist

Background: Conrad was the first and only child of Wulfstan and Emery von Sydow, a pair renowned for their prowess in the fields of science and art, respectively. While his parents were not around much, too wrapped up in their own affairs and thus leaving their young offspring mostly in the hands of a wet nurse and their other staff members. Rather than coming to resent his parents, Conrad came to understand, and later even appreciate, the obligations and privileges fame and success had brought his parents.

Even from an early age the heir of the Von Sydow family possessed a brilliant and sharp mind, which was only cultivated further once he began attending school. Doing his parents proud, and giving them yet another achievement to bolster about to others in their social circles about in the process, Conrad proceeded to not only burn through his learning material with great speed and ease, earning him perfect marks on every test, he also skipped several grades because of it. With such brilliance, of course, comes great solitude. Shunned by almost all of his peers for his gifts, an already quite eccentric child grew to be even more eccentric.

After becoming one of the youngest, if not the youngest, person to ever graduate cum laude from the most esteemed Baden university, Conrad continued to baffle peer and professor alike by doing it again for another course. So, at the young age of twenty-three, Conrad had become not only attained a master's degree in science, but archeology as well. Despite the contempt some might have held, and perhaps still hold for the young man, the great promise he held was undeniable. Of course, with great promise comes great expectations, and, in a seemingly bold move, the eccentric young scientist and archaeologist got himself involved in an imperial expedition which was planned to set sail to lands unknown.

Personality: Conrad is eccentric. His views on life and its matters are often vastly different from those of his fellow man. Often seen as too "naive and simplistic," especially for a brilliant man of his stature, he nevertheless stands by them, shrugging off the opinions of others like one would specs of dirt on his shoulder. When he gets a little too wrapped up in his work or an interesting thought process, he tends to talk to himself, holding entire conversations just with himself. This naturally does not help the selfinflicted social isolation he is in. Not that he cares though, as Conrad main interests are discoveries in the fields of science and archaeology.
Lingerie is like wrapping paper for the best present in the world     the female body.

LamentingQuill

I'd love to play a daughter of the Thule queen.

MagicalPen

I don't think the Queen of Thule has any daughters, just a son.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

mj2002

Quote from: LamentingQuill on August 19, 2013, 11:27:01 PM
I'd love to play a daughter of the Thule queen.
Unfortunately there's no daughter of the queen. =(
She only has a son.

We have our scientist though!

LamentingQuill

Quote from: mj2002 on August 20, 2013, 01:00:59 AM
Unfortunately there's no daughter of the queen. =(
She only has a son.

We have our scientist though!

Thanks for the offer, but no thank you.

mj2002

Quote from: LamentingQuill on August 20, 2013, 01:02:12 AM
Thanks for the offer, but no thank you.
I meant, someone applied for the role of scientist.

Moon Hound Hati

I'll take it my character is acceptable, then? Or are there things that need changing?

mj2002

Quote from: Moon Hound Hati on August 20, 2013, 12:20:57 PM
I'll take it my character is acceptable, then? Or are there things that need changing?
Accepted!

mj2002

I think we can get started if we get one more Badener.

oceanspool

Quote from: mj2002 on August 21, 2013, 02:13:55 AM
I think we can get started if we get one more Badener.

So close! I wish I had somebody to invite :(

oceanspool

Thinking about my first post. Are the Badeners going in completely blind - do they know anything about Thule at all? Do they even know that the land they're about to reach is called Thule? How did they find out about it?

mj2002

Quote from: oceanspool on August 21, 2013, 10:30:20 AM
Thinking about my first post. Are the Badeners going in completely blind - do they know anything about Thule at all? Do they even know that the land they're about to reach is called Thule? How did they find out about it?

They see it whilst exploring! Heh, it's a bit simple perhaps, but that's pretty much how it went. The scientist will likely be able to figure out which island it is from ancient maps, but so much time has gone by, it won't be very useful.

eiselmann

If they have some mutual trading partners would rumour of the place not have been a part of the plan to send the ship...especially of word that its run by women. To a society like the Baden Empire that would be a sure sign that the place is weak , and if its rich (resource and strategically) then it would be worth bringing the people to heel

My ons and offs link

mj2002

Quote from: eiselmann on August 21, 2013, 11:15:02 AM
If they have some mutual trading partners would rumour of the place not have been a part of the plan to send the ship...especially of word that its run by women. To a society like the Baden Empire that would be a sure sign that the place is weak , and if its rich (resource and strategically) then it would be worth bringing the people to heel

They don't have mutual trading partners. While Kanadian (Canada obviously) and British are similar languages, I believe the Badeners haven't actually discovered Kanada or America.

oceanspool

Quote from: mj2002 on August 21, 2013, 11:10:12 AM
They see it whilst exploring! Heh, it's a bit simple perhaps, but that's pretty much how it went. The scientist will likely be able to figure out which island it is from ancient maps, but so much time has gone by, it won't be very useful.

Ok. So pretty much all they know about it is that it's the former country of Greenland?

SugarAndSpice

Hooray for our scientist :D Fingers crossed that another Badener will appear soon. I think I'd prefer just to play one character really, then I can really focus on it.

mj2002

Quote from: oceanspool on August 21, 2013, 12:01:00 PM
Ok. So pretty much all they know about it is that it's the former country of Greenland?
Pretty much.

eiselmann

Quote from: mj2002 on August 21, 2013, 11:52:33 AM
They don't have mutual trading partners. While Kanadian (Canada obviously) and British are similar languages, I believe the Badeners haven't actually discovered Kanada or America.

Ugh sorry my bad , you are of course correct

My ons and offs link

SugarAndSpice

Been wondering once we get started will there be an order for people to go in? or will it be more free form?

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 21, 2013, 02:26:19 PM
Been wondering once we get started will there be an order for people to go in? or will it be more free form?
I'm in favor of freeform. I intend to steer certain characters into specific directions with the use of minor characters. You're all free to do as you please though.

oceanspool

I have a few more questions about the general culture and history of Thule and the Baden Empire.

• What's the level of both countries' a) medical knowledge and b) medical technology?
  • What's the level of their plumbing - do they have indoor or outdoor toilets? (Weird question I know, thought it would give me a feel for the setting though :P)
  • How much do they know about the world pre-apocalypse? E.g. do they know that the Internet existed?
  • How big is the Baden Empire? Do we know what countries it covers?
  • Do we know how the apocalypse came about and what happened?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I was writing last night and they all popped up at me :P

Moon Hound Hati

Yes, I also wanted to ask about the apocalypse and how far the empire spans. :)

mj2002

What's the level of both countries' a) medical knowledge and b) medical technology?

Thule's knowledge is fairly limited. It can come as no surprise that they prefer  to use natural medicine of anything else. There is no chemical industry and as such there is no production of synthetic medicine as such. I imagine that there will be people who specify in the arts of healing. There will be small clinics, but that's it.

The Badeners' knowledge will be a little more advanced, mostly out of necessity. They would have hospitals and the beginnings of a chemical industry which allows for some basic medicine production. They don't however have a medical expert or a doctor on board, yet. This may change depending on future character applications. At least one of the men will have some basic first aid knowledge though.

Comparing the Baden Empire with Thule will show that the Badeners are more advanced when it comes to medical knowledge. Comparing the expeditionary force with the island though, it would be more even. Traditional and preventative medicine used by the people of Thule might even be more effective overall.

What's the level of their plumbing - do they have indoor or outdoor toilets? (Weird question I know, thought it would give me a feel for the setting though :P)

Both indoors and outdoors. They have running water.

How much do they know about the world pre-apocalypse? E.g. do they know that the Internet existed?

All the knowledge they have comes from maps and ancient stories. I am going to go ahead and assume that there's no knowledge of the internet at all and whilst the Badaners may have maps, their knowledge remains limited to what they have discovered. As for the people of Thule, theirs is even more limited. Much of this can be attributed to their lack of interest though. They have nearby trading partners, but otherwise they like where they are. They realize that there are probably other peoples around the globe, but direct proof is only available for the country of Kanada and America.

How big is the Baden Empire? Do we know what countries it covers?

It's quite expansive, but not just as large as the Roman Empire. For current Europe, you can assume it covers Western Europe consisting of the current countries of Germany, France, Benelux extending further towards the East as well. Further South and the climate becomes uncomfortably cold. For instance, the Mediterranean is covered in ice.

Do we know how the apocalypse came about and what happened?

Knowledge of the events has become more of a myth as it happened many centuries ago. What is common knowledge though is that a World War took place. A rather sizable explosion (nuclear, but that technology is too advanced for either side to understand) caused the Earth's median to shift which in turn dramatically changed the climate.

Moon Hound Hati

If we can't find another person to play an Baden character, I'd be willing to also play the Baden Political Officer. I mean, I'm sure everyone doesn't want to wait forever. :P

SugarAndSpice

I've mentioned the rp to a couple of people recently, just waiting to see if they're interested :)

SugarAndSpice

Maybe we should set a start date and if no one else applies before then, someone jumps in with an extra character? I don't want this to be an rp that never launches.

mj2002

I'm giving it a little more time, but you're probably right. If we don't get any more Badeners before next Monday, we're starting regardless. I'm leaving the opportunity open for people to join after that date.

oceanspool

Good idea! I'm sorry I can't play another character - I'd rather start off light because this is the first time I've RP'd in a while, and also I'm going back to uni in two weeks so I'll be quite busy. But definitely start next week!

Inari

I would possibly be interested in playing a Badener. Be warned that I start college in two weeks so my activity might go funny. May I also ask if tattooed characters are acceptable?

SugarAndSpice

I'm going back to uni soon too, but I fully intend to play this :D I'll need something to help me relax.

Inari

I had writers block when I had to knuckle down at college and because I had been out of education for so long I wasn't used to all the pressure on top of real life stuff. Unfortunately I ended up stopping my solos because I felt so crappy about leaving them unreplied for so long. However now I have my exam results (not what I was expecting...) and will be starting college again on the 2nd I feel some what more relaxed. With this I also feel the craving to start writing again...

Idachan

I think this sounds really interesting and I would also like to join. While I'd definitely play female I could go with either faction so let me know which would be prefferable and I'll apply.

eiselmann

Quote from: mj2002 on August 23, 2013, 03:12:33 PM
I'm giving it a little more time, but you're probably right. If we don't get any more Badeners before next Monday, we're starting regardless. I'm leaving the opportunity open for people to join after that date.

We can always refer to various NPC's without fleshing them out too much

Speaking of which what is the actual strength of the Baden's , picking the ships crew would have some training in personal combat, obviously not t the level of Marines but enough to be of value ,against the local population

My ons and offs link

mj2002

Quote from: Idachan on August 23, 2013, 04:50:25 PM
I think this sounds really interesting and I would also like to join. While I'd definitely play female I could go with either faction so let me know which would be prefferable and I'll apply.
There's no females on the expedition ship, so I'm afraid your choice is limited to one of the roles with the people of Thule.

Quote from: eiselmann on August 23, 2013, 05:10:41 PM

Speaking of which what is the actual strength of the Baden's , picking the ships crew would have some training in personal combat, obviously not t the level of Marines but enough to be of value ,against the local population
I haven't decided on this yet, also because our expedition crew isn't complete. I will elaborate on this though, probably in the first story post.

oceanspool

Quote from: eiselmann on August 23, 2013, 05:10:41 PM

Yes I was planning to do this, just refer to random Marines :)

Mj how many people are on the ship altogether? 8 playable roles, then I assume the ship's crew, and would there be other random Marines?

SugarAndSpice

Funny how we mention a time limit/ start date and suddenly we have more people applying lols Can't wait for Monday :D

SugarAndSpice

Awesome, don't forget to put the character sheet up so we can all see him :)

oceanspool

Inari

I guess I can show what I have done so far... I just hope gm doesn't tell me off. >.<

oceanspool

Inari

Name: Baldur Arwin
Role: Diplomat
Background: Baldur is from a long line of traders and his family line always married off or sold off their daughters if the price was right. His mother was sold off to a mercenary who was strict but fair and earned his money hunting down criminals. He still allowed her to visit her family once she had earned his trust and bore him a child. Due to the difficulty of Baldur's birth it left his mother unable to bare any more possible children. Baldur never got to know his father's family because his father was an orphan and had no idea who his parents were, which wasn't uncommon in the Empire. Growing up he saw the values of males vs females and was raised with great expectations.

Through his mother's family he learned that women were servants to men and were just ends to justify whatever goal one wished for. Be it money, land or high social ties. Women were the gateway to it all and were animals that needed to learn their place by their master's side. However, through his father he learned that women weren't just servants to men but were also to be valued, loved, protected and cared for. Once when he asked his father about why he treated his mother so respectfully he told him a man's wife is as beautiful as passion and happiness that she possesses with the man she was tied to in this world. And that it was a man's duty to provide for a woman if he were to expect anything in return. From his mother he learned that respect and trust were things to be earned and that love always came from unexpected places.

As a result of this all this Baldur learned to balance of his upbringing. To him women were beautiful creatures that were entertaining but at the same time were very useful to befriend and charm in high places. He also learned the best way to woo a women was to gain the trust and respect of her family and peers. Overall he became a master at manipulation and playing the games that came with it became something he did to get what he wanted.

Due to pressure from his mother's family Baldur's parents was forced to send him to schools in which he mingled with some of higher societies children. His mother's family were also quick to exploit the friendships he made, much to the annoyance of his parents. Because of this he learned that trust and respect were not to be given freely and how to manipulate odds in his favor. What was of great disappointment to his mother's family but was considered a victory to his parents was the fact he decided he would go on survival training with his father for a few years before going to serve the Empire's army. Once he was finished with both he then went onto to study politics and philosophy and slowly rose through the ranks until he was appointed a diplomat for traders, farmers or land owners who had quarrels.

He has had offers of marriage but has turned them down due to the fact they were all arranged by his mother's family in some way or another. However, that hasn't stopped him forging friendships of convenience, which has proved useful both before and during his career. 

Tired of being harassed by his mother's family to settle down he took the opportunity to escape this annoyance he decided to serve his nation by going onto the expedition in case they encountered anyone on their mission to gain more materials to keep their Empire going. He would also be there to settle any quarrels before mutiny broke out.   

Personality: When Baldur firsts meets people he is polite, warm, charming and easy going, however, underneath the seemly none judgmental exterior he is in fact paying attention to everything being said and done to evaluate a person on their intentions. Due to the amount of conflicts he has seen in his life time he has become a good at reading body language, a skill that has proved useful in his career as a Diplomat. Baldur isn't normally one to create conflicts but will jump in before they go too far, unless he thinks the conflict would be good and/or of benefit to him. He has no fear of people in authority but does not show this, as he learned from an early age that people in a higher position than he preferred compliant submissive personalities. He will usually do as he is requested unless it comes into conflict with his own code of morality. Baldur isn't easy to to anger or annoy as he has a good understanding on the human psyche, however, if he is angered enough he won't resort to his fists, he will resort to words. Everything he has learned about the individual he will twist against them until they either break down or flip out.  He has never had to raise his hand to anyone but knows how to defend himself should he need to.

Even though he seems trustworthy and respectful, Baldur himself does not trust anyone and part of him is always questioning a person's motives. When he first interacts with someone new he will be respectful to them for a short amount of time, after which if they have earned his respect he will continue doing so, however, if they haven't he will become manipulative towards them and if he sees fit to do so he will also direct them into trouble and come out as the innocent party. Unfortunately he has become like this because of how his mother's family have treated him his entire life. It is also the major reason why he has never been in a proper relationship with anyone.

============

I am considering cutting down the background if needed. I hope he is ok. ^^;;

oceanspool

I love it! Don't cut any! Who's in the photo you used? He looks familiar...

Inari

I am glad you like him. :3

He is Landon Liboiron and he plays Peter Rumancek in Hemlock Grove. The werewolf. :3

mj2002

Quote from: oceanspool on August 24, 2013, 09:46:06 AM
Yes I was planning to do this, just refer to random Marines :)

Mj how many people are on the ship altogether? 8 playable roles, then I assume the ship's crew, and would there be other random Marines?
I'm planning on keeping this number fuzzy in case people are to apply in the future. Think between 8-12 (or more), roughly.
Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 24, 2013, 11:53:00 AM
Funny how we mention a time limit/ start date and suddenly we have more people applying lols Can't wait for Monday :D
I've accepted Baldur Arwin as our 4th Badener character and as such we are good to go. I'm going to try and find time tomorrow to open topics, though it could possibly take until Monday for me to finish them.
Quote from: Starcry on August 24, 2013, 12:31:58 PM
I will and I hope you like him. ;D
Accepted.

Inari

Thank you for accepting him. x

Also I look forward to the rp getting started. Take your time. <3

oceanspool

Quote from: mj2002 on August 24, 2013, 06:38:50 PM
I'm planning on keeping this number fuzzy in case people are to apply in the future. Think between 8-12 (or more), roughly.

Is that the total number of people on the ship including NPCs? As it would need a crew to sail it as well, unless the Marines double as sailors. And are we allowed to refer to NPCs to flesh it out a little?

I'm excited :D

mj2002

Quote from: oceanspool on August 25, 2013, 03:02:24 AM
Is that the total number of people on the ship including NPCs? As it would need a crew to sail it as well, unless the Marines double as sailors. And are we allowed to refer to NPCs to flesh it out a little?

I'm excited :D
I'm probably having the marines double as sailors. Feel free to refer to NPCs, I'll be doing the same thing.

Idachan

I'll be bringing this to the table.

Name: Sigrid
Role: Journeyman apothecary
Background: As the third daughter of a miller north of Julianhab it was quite clear from an early age that Sigrid would have to leave the family windmill, and quite possibly the village, in search of a position but somehow the fact was never enough to bring sorrow to either family or the girl herself. Sigrid had a rather ideal childhood with her older sisters taking the brunt of chores and assignments which left Sigrid with plenty of time on her hands to get into trouble with. The girl loved the fields and the wild equally and disheveled from crawling into the most inhospitable of places Sigrid would come in the evening with berries, flowers, leaves and mushrooms that had tickled her fancy. Even if her parents told her sternly that she couldn't eat just anything she found, she could at least look at them and smell them.

By the age of fifteen Sigrid had learned to identify plants by scent, and some taste as well as no matter how they scolded her some berries had always slipped past her lips, and it was time to start seeking employment. Her mother, Ditte,  first went to the village herbalist but with the woman having daughters of her own there was little room for an apprentice. It was really sheer luck that had Ditte discussing Sigrid's future at the markets one day and thus being overheard by the apothecary Ragnhild, who in turn had lost her latest apprentice to an accident in the wild and was stopping by for a rest along her journey. Arrangements were made and Sigrid followed the woman that very day, tearful and just turning sixteen, from the peaceful village to the more bustling Julianhab.

Sigrid's life as an apprentice wasn't easy by any means but given the girl's innate curiosity and like for plants, at least it wasn't dull and while harrowed at times Sigrid found herself liking both the profession and the city more and more. After two and half years under apprenticeship Sigrid passed Ragnhild's test and became an official journeyman, still doing much the same tasks as she had already but now earning a small amount instead of nothing. Due to her age though Ragnhild decided to keep Sigrid lodging with her untill she could find a nice boy from a good family to settle down with. A year later Sigrid still hasn't found that nice boy and Ragnhild has decided on taking one of her supply-gathering journeys, leaving Sigrid alone at the apothecary and hoping nothing out of the ordinary happens.

Personality: Sigrid is a hardworking girl when she has her sights set on something and she loves to learn new things, keeping an orderly inventory even if she doesn't give the most well put together impression. When not working she can be easily distracted and even prone to daydreaming as well as contemplative bouts. As a rather quiet girl Sigrid has never been terribly sociable but she's kind and agreeable, just not the loudest in the crowd.

oceanspool

Inari

I just updated Baldur's personality. I don't know why I found it so awkward to describe. XD

Idachan

Thank you guys, I look forward to seeing what will happen. And on that note, I like the deviousness Starcry. :)

Inari

I look forward to it as well. Glad you do and I wonder where it will end up! :P I did try to figure out how best to describe his personality and really had to think how his background would effect his personality. @_@

SugarAndSpice

I love both of the new characters :D Definitely got an interesting mix of people

Inari

Thanks and I think so too! I am really looking forward to seeing how this story goes. :)

mj2002

Had a busy day today, I'll commence on the opening posts tomorrow.

SugarAndSpice

*Does an excited dance* Sorry, it's been a long day and I needed to get that out of my system :D

oceanspool

mj2002

Going to have to ask for a little more patience, it's coming though!

Inari

It's ok take your time and relax. All that matters is that we are all here now and are ready when you are. If you are having some trouble don't worry about it. :)

Idachan

Indeed, take your time. I'll be joining the flailing dance meanwhile. :D

SugarAndSpice

Yeah take whatever time you need, no point rushing the start of this :)

Just thought of a couple of questions, How is Kanada run? Is it similar to Thule? Also, Does Baden have a particular flag/symbol e.g. an animal?

oceanspool

Totally take your time, but any idea whenabouts it's going to start?

Idachan

Definitely no hurry on my part as I'm leaving for a mini-vacation today and thus wont be home before late Sunday evening but also, don't let it stop you from beginning. If you do, I'll just jump right into it. ;)

mj2002

Seeing as this is taking me longer than expected, I'd like to do a head count. Can everyone who applied leave a message stating that they're still interested?

oceanspool

ElvenKitten

MagicalPen

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Moon Hound Hati

SugarAndSpice

Tamhansen

never thought I'd see a Thea beckman based role play on here. I loved this series growing up. If you have any more space i'd be more than thrilled for a spot.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

mj2002

Quote from: Katataban on August 31, 2013, 10:03:21 AM
never thought I'd see a Thea beckman based role play on here. I loved this series growing up. If you have any more space i'd be more than thrilled for a spot.
There's definitely some room.

oceanspool

Quote from: Katataban on August 31, 2013, 10:03:21 AM

Yeah, come and join, we need Badeners! And it'd be great to have more people with knowledge of the world :D

Tamhansen

Name1: Hanz von Nassau
Role2: Junior diplomat

Background:Hanz is the second son of Alexander von Nassau, a nobleman within the Baden empire. As a second son, Hanz' prospects in the military were rather limited, and so he decided to pursue the art of diplomacy. Something his country doesn't yet see the need for, and might very well never do. He's intrigued by other cultures. Both those assimilated by the empire as those few still outside it. Like the Brits, though his father and brother claim that'll change soon. He would like nothing better than find a new culture to establish peaceful relations with. That is, if his triggerhappy superiors don't shoot them first.
Personality: Hanz is a gentle, friendly soul. Considered to weak to be a true soldier of the empire. He's caring, loving and nurturing. And very, very curious.

ons and offs

oceanspool

Quote from: Katataban on September 01, 2013, 05:48:15 AM

Background:Hanz is the second son of Alexander von Nassau, a nobleman within the Baden empire. As a second son, Hanz' prospects in the military were rather limited, and so he decided to pursue the art of diplomacy. Something his country doesn't yet see the need for, and might very well never do. He's intrigued by other cultures. Both those assimilated by the empire as those few still outside it. Like the Brits, though his father and brother claim that'll change soon. He would like nothing better than find a new culture to establish peaceful relations with. That is, if his triggerhappy superiors don't shoot them first.
Personality: Hanz is a gentle, friendly soul. Considered to weak to be a true soldier of the empire. He's caring, loving and nurturing. And very, very curious.

Great character :) Although it's up to mj whether we need another Baden diplomat or not.

eiselmann

HI all really sorry about my lack of posting unfortunately its going to continue

In a weeks time I'll be on holiday overseas for a week...but in the interim I now have yet another medical issue which is quite painful and at best distracting if not debilitating

My ons and offs link

Idachan

I'm home! And still interested.

Eiselmann, hope you have a nice vacation and that your medical issue goes away painlessly.

Scribbles

Sorry, still here!

With the notification thingie down, E tends to slip from my mind every now and then.

Still didn't get an answer on where the Inn would be best situated, if the Bardeners are staying at the palace then I'll put it near the docks but if they aren't, then I'll have it inside the capital.
AA and OO

oceanspool

Quote from: Scribbles on September 02, 2013, 05:11:13 AM
Sorry, still here!

With the notification thingie down, E tends to slip from my mind every now and then.

Still didn't get an answer on where the Inn would be best situated, if the Bardeners are staying at the palace then I'll put it near the docks but if they aren't, then I'll have it inside the capital.

The notification thing is down? Works for me fine o.O (if you mean subscribing to a thread so you get a email update)

Tamhansen

ons and offs

Scribbles

Thanks Katataban, dug around the settings a bit and I THINK I've turned it back on.
AA and OO

Inari

Just to let you guys know that I have just started college today and it is really kicking my ass. I will probably know my timetable tomorrow or next week. I will also still reply but I warn that I will be very knackered. x__X

SugarAndSpice

To eiselman: Sorry to hear that you're not in the best of health, I hope you feel better soon.

To Kataban: Great to meet you :) The more the merrier as they say. Though I do wonder if two diplomats would be needed, then again you have said he's the junior diplomat.

I'll be back off to University in about a week but I'll still be around, I'm sure I'll need the breaks this year :D

Tamhansen

yeah, I can make him a junior anything that's not required to fight. But I chose diplomat to have a reason for wanting to be with the other culture a lot. Besides, he'd be more of a student/apprentice.
ons and offs

SugarAndSpice

Lol I agree with Starcry, Baldur is one shifty son of a gun

Idachan

A shout-out for my fellow citizens of Thule. Would anyone like to determine some kind of connection with Sigrid before the start of the game? Be it family relation, friendship or even rivalry, I'm open for it.

SugarAndSpice

Hey Idachan :) I was thinking Sigrid would probably quite well known in Julienhab, so Agnete (my character) would probably know her by sight from going to the healer's shop.

Idachan

That's true, it's probably more likely that one deals with Sigrid rather than Ragnhild herself when coming to the shop unless there is a particularly difficult problem.

mj2002

Quote from: Katataban on September 01, 2013, 05:48:15 AM

This looks great! Accepted.

Quote from: Scribbles on September 02, 2013, 05:11:13 AM
Sorry, still here!

I'm not sure where they'll be staying. I suppose this is something we find out along the way. Do consider the possibility that they might just stay on board though. You never know right?

Tamhansen

Yes, Ve Badeners are zivilised people. Ve could not Pozzibly ztay at zuch a hovel.

*Falls over backwards laughing*

ons and offs

oceanspool

It'll be interesting to see if the diplomats argue about how to get on with the natives xD

Any timeline on when we might start, mj? =D

Inari

I sense a good old philosophy session. Be warned; I am good at arguments and I will be studying it at college!

Tamhansen

Good. Because I demand to be, or not be a philosopher
ons and offs

Idachan

I foresee selling quite some valerian to cure the headaches of the Badeners forced to listen to those discussions. I should make sure my stock is sufficient.

oceanspool

I foresee language difficulties in trying to ask for valerian. I'll brush up on my hand gestures. XD

Tamhansen

ons and offs

Idachan

Starcry, don't be too surprised if I start humping your leg suddenly. Monty Python has that effect on me... I think I'll go browse some for a bit...

Inari

I don't mind being humped. ;D

Be sure to look up arguments. XD

Tamhansen

Arguments for humping your leg?

Hmm well I can think of a few.
ons and offs

SugarAndSpice

mj2002

Quote from: oceanspool on September 03, 2013, 04:11:28 PM
It'll be interesting to see if the diplomats argue about how to get on with the natives xD

Any timeline on when we might start, mj? =D
I'll be having more time to spend on this project when this weekend arrives. I'll be sending out some private messages to people with instructions and/or suggestions on issues that may need to be resolved before we start. Keep an eye out on your inbox in the coming days.

Scribbles

Quote from: mj2002 on September 03, 2013, 02:44:23 PM
This looks great! Accepted.
I'm not sure where they'll be staying. I suppose this is something we find out along the way. Do consider the possibility that they might just stay on board though. You never know right?

True, would it be okay if I left the location ambiguous for the start then, at least while I try lure our Badener friends...

On a separate issue, could I ask what the posting pace will be like, will there be some form of structure or will it be a free-for-all? I'm asking because I'm not sure if I'll be able to cope with the latter.

Quote from: Katataban on September 03, 2013, 04:05:49 PM
Yes, Ve Badeners are zivilised people. Ve could not Pozzibly ztay at zuch a hovel.

*Falls over backwards laughing*

Hovel? How dare you, you steam-reliant imperialist! For that little insult, I'll be sure that Anika appeals to the queen to have the Badeners punished by Thule's harshest sentence!

I'm not sure but I think that's a stern finger wagging, or maybe a four hundred word letter of apology.
AA and OO

MagicalPen

I'm going camping today, so if I don't get eaten by a bear, or mountain lion, I'll be back in a little over 24 hours and hope to see some progress here!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

mj2002

Quote from: Scribbles on September 07, 2013, 10:43:54 AM
On a separate issue, could I ask what the posting pace will be like, will there be some form of structure or will it be a free-for-all? I'm asking because I'm not sure if I'll be able to cope with the latter.
I find it hard to predict. As mentioned in the opening post, I'd prefer it if people were able to post at least 3 times a week. I'm not sure if I'd want a set posting order, I'm open to input and suggestions on this point.

oceanspool

Quote from: MagicalPen on September 07, 2013, 10:50:53 AM
I'm going camping today, so if I don't get eaten by a bear, or mountain lion, I'll be back in a little over 24 hours and hope to see some progress here!

Have a fun, non-edible time! Hopefully we will have progressed!  :P

MagicalPen

Major thunderstorm rolled through, so I canceled! Will try sleeping in the hammock tonight though.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

oceanspool

MagicalPen

I set the hammock up in the backyard and didn't get wet despite the rainfall. Going to sleep out there tonight I think, to test it out. Can always come back in. Of course, E is so slow on the weekends, hardly anything to post to right now.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

oceanspool

I know, right. Good luck! Don't get eaten or rained on or struck by lightning! I'm off to bed! :D

Idachan

A couch fort!

I do miss sleeping outside in the summer, this year I've really been lamenting my lack of even a balcony.

Scribbles

Quote from: mj2002 on September 07, 2013, 04:38:10 PM
I find it hard to predict. As mentioned in the opening post, I'd prefer it if people were able to post at least 3 times a week. I'm not sure if I'd want a set posting order, I'm open to input and suggestions on this point.

Generally, I can post once per day but only when I know I have time to slow down and think. I've tried to RP with rapid posters before but it usually just forces me to drift away from the RP as the story sprints out of reach of my character. I'm not really sure what to suggest as I know how posting orders can lead to sudden blocks in play if RP'ers go missing.
AA and OO

Idachan

I agree that returning from a few hours offline and finding your character left in the dust created by a slew of posts is disheartening.

MagicalPen

No, not a couch fort. More like this:

And I am with Scribbles in regards to posting rate! I post when I can - some days I am spent and have no will, or off camping, etc.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

oceanspool

Is that your own photo? Nice! :D

Has anyone received a private message yet then? I'm quite anxious to get this started soon because I'm back at uni now and I'm going to be quite busy soon, same goes for a few others I think. :)

MagicalPen

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

oceanspool

Ok well this seems to have totally gone down the drain :/

SugarAndSpice

Idachan

Scribbles

I hope everything is okay on mj's end...

I'm not sure if it matters but I'm going to be withdrawing from the RP.
AA and OO

oceanspool

:( That's a shame but totally understandable.

Not sure what's going on with mj, the last time she logged on was a couple of days ago but haven't heard anything from her. Hope she is ok.

Inari

Maybe she feels everyone has lost interest so it's not worth it any more. Bit of ashame really. :(

MagicalPen

MJ hasn't logged in for almost a week. I imagine some IRL issues have popped up.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

mj2002

I apologize to everyone for the lack of communication. I've been experiencing issues on the home front and E was forcibly removed from my radar. I'm not sure if I am ready for a full time return yet, time will tell.

As for this roleplay idea, I'm sorry for everyone's wasted effort and time. Perhaps it might be revived in the future.