News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup

Started by Nico, June 07, 2010, 01:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nico

Quote from: Ridcully on June 09, 2010, 02:45:22 PM

*nodsnods*
The referee didn't send him off though, because he said that Rooney was his favourite player. That's awesome. Probably why Maradonna never got a red card for "The hand of god".

But seriously, watch Rooney play.  He mutters about 3123 times "Fuck" to himself during a match. The question arise: During intercourse, does he mutter "offside, offside" on the other hand?
Yeah, I read about it. Wayne is the god of 'fuck', no doubt. Maybe it's his favourite word? ~laughs~

Well, as long as he doesn't scream like "Fooooooul". I mean..yeah.... ;D

Ridcully

Agreed. At least not like an Italian.

Here's the general tactics for an Italian team btw:

"You 9 guys build a human pyramid about our own goal.

You there, with the long hair. Yes, you. As soon as you get the ball, you fall flat to the ground and demand a free kick.

And you there, yes. You guard the referee 24/7. It's essential that you spread your arms wide and yell "Mama mia" every time he whistles. Don't be more than one feet away from him at any time."

Nico

I wonder where Ballack will end up, now that he's not going to play with Chelsea anymore.

Ridcully

1. Real Madrid: Mourinho is supposed to hire him if he doesn't get Gerrard from Liverpool.
2. Schalke 04: Heavy rumour in Germany for a few weeks now. Schalke came in second last season and plays in the Champions League. Very likely to hire him.
3. Bayer Leverkusen - he played for this team before moving on to Bavaria Munich. In the famous Ballack year 2002:
- Second in season
- Second in cup final
- loser of champions league final with Leverkusen
- second in World Cup.

Because of this time, Ballack is considered to be "Nr. 2" in Germany. The born "Nr. 2". And in a country who is used to guys like Matthäus (IQ: 10; Trophies: 50), it's tough for Ballack.

Nico

I heard about Schalke 04 ~nodnod~
I'd like to see him with Madrid, too. Hell, he's going to be good, wherever he'll end up, but I agree, it's gonna be tough for him, no doubt. He's already being put in line with the best German players.

It blows that he's not going to play in South Africa. He'd have deserved it.

Ridcully

In Germany, he'll never end up in a line with Beckenbauer, Müller, Netzer, Matthäus, Völler, Klinsmann or my all-time favourite Brehme...Without winning a World Cup, you're simply no "great player" for Germans. It's this simple. He'll always be remembered as a "good player", but seriously...in 30 years, a guy like me will tell his grandchildren..."Yes, Matthäus. 120 games for germany, and about that many wives. What a man. Ballack...yeah, good, but no Matthäus."

But enough about Ballack. Let's discuss something more important:

How much does it rock to see Christiano Ronaldo cry?

Nico

Ah, Rondaldo is a good guy. But, yes, let's face it, this will be the Messi games.

XD

Ridcully

Agreed! Agreed!

Messi is the kind of player people will still talk about in 50 years. We're blessed to see this guy play in this generation. He's the most awesome player I've seen since Maradonna 1986.
Messi Vs Arsenal - Real Madrid]

Remiel

Michael Ballack must get an ungodly amount of tail.  I'm talking absolutely obscene.

Also, Ridcully, those Jogi photos were hilarious.

Kitsunetsuki

This has got to be one of the most hilarious threads I've ever read...most likely made more funny by my love of the game. ;)

I look forward to the World Cup so much, it's ridiculous...I grew up with a fanatical Brazilian mother (and family) who absolutely went nuts for the World Cup. So, I'm sure you can guess who I picked to win, eh? Five time champions, going in for number six, baby! ;D Woohoo!!

I'll keep my commentary about other teams to a minimum *ahem* hehe...
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Ridcully

Even though it hasn't been done for 16 years now, I still miss one big tradition of my youth when it comes to the World Cup.

The German national team singing.

In my youth, the national team always had an own song for the World Cup, singing it with some - ahem - singer or band. Instant classics. They don't do it though anymore since 1994.

Oh? You don't believe me? Wait a minute, Mister, I can proof it:

Die deutsche Fußball-Nationalmannschaft singt ('74-'94)

These are the german national teams singing the songs!!!

And yes!!! In 1994, they sang with The Village People!! The song was called "Far away in America". Later, players like Andy Brehme or Lothar Matthäus said it was the most embarassing moment of their life.

Ridcully

Double-post, I know, but this is awesome.

German media just announced that Kevin-Prince Boateng [playing for Ghana at the World Cup] doesn't ever want to talk to Jerome Boateng again.

Why? One step back:

Kevin-Prince Boateng did this to El Capitano Ballack, who can't play at thw World Cup because of the foul:

Of course, Kevin-Prince Boateng just wanted to get the ball. The ball is the thing which is about 5 feet away on the picture. But it was so damn close, wasn't it?

Of course, Kevin-Prince Boateng would never hurt someone. Like here - he's the guy in yellow, in case you might wonder - he's just showing the other player that there's really no dog dirt under his shoe. The other guy was wondering. But Kevin-Prince, oh, he's a clean guy. Nice, and fair, and <3 lovable <3.

Anyways. Jerome Boateng, his german brother playing for the German national team, said it was an ugly foul. Now, Kevin-Prince Boateng is sad. Sad, sad.

He doesn't want to talk to Jerome anymore, because he says such mean things and stuff. Poor Kevin-Prince.

Does anyone feel like this World Cup could well become something like...

With Jogi as Miss Ellie and the English national team as Cliff Barnes?

Nico

Quote from: Ridcully on June 10, 2010, 10:18:54 AM
Does anyone feel like this World Cup could well become something like...

With Jogi as Miss Ellie and the English national team as Cliff Barnes?
Of course. One or the other way, it's -always- drama.

But it's best drama possible! ;D

Nico

Scribbles

<3 Nicholas, I suddenly have the urge to go out and play soccer!  :-)
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Rachubka

My calf is still a little wreaked from being stupid and playing four hours of soccer in one day. It wasn't that that was the issue, it was thinking that the first two hours would be enough of a warm up for the last two.

No stretch = broked.

Anyway... I'm hoping for a Spanish double! When pretty much everyone on the team is absolutely gorgeous, there's no possible way you can lose!

Fabregas <3

Scribbles

Rachubka, let me guess; indoor, right?   :P
AA and OO

Rachubka

No waaaaaay! Outdoor. Indoor has too much shoe squeaking going on for my liking. :D

Scribbles

Lol, but, they add atmosphere! You can tell the intensity of the game by the level of squeakiness. :P

I actually thought it might be indoor, or outdoor-net, because I know how straining a tourney can be. They offer such brief resting times for games that generally involve little more than sprinting up and down.
AA and OO

Rachubka

Just that last Sunday was crazy. Got invited to play in a charity cup last minute at 8:30 AM and then play my league games at noon. So yeah. I had an hour in between the two sets of games. Fun tiiiiimes.

Espana! (To get back on topic... in the off topic section)

Scribbles

Oops, true. Anyway, hope it heals soon.  :-)

I'm actually supporting two teams.

Go Bafana Bafana, you crazy underdogs you!

South African BAFANA BAFANA Song

And you know you all want to Stand Up, For the Champions! :P

Stand Up (For The Champions)
AA and OO

Stan'

I supported Italy (and Germany) through World Cup 2006 and Euro 2008.  While they did the job in the world cup, they disappointed me in the last tournament, because they have absolutely no flair and struggled through every game.  Their squad are far too old, and in a physical sport, experience-with-nae-legs will only get you so far.  They have an easy group, and will be guaranteed to make it to the last 16, however depending on what place they finish in, they could possibly face the Netherlands in the next round.  If that's the case, I think they'll be going home a little early than they'd like.

Scribbles

I'm actually supporting them because of the fight they have ahead. Even without flair it makes it so much more interesting for me to see a team with the odds against them.

Plus, I absolutely <3 that adorable rockwall Gianluigi, even if he's not exactly at his peak anymore.  ;)
AA and OO

Ramster

I'd like to point out that whatever your poll says, Brasilia isn't taking part in the World Cup. It's the capital of Brazil, or Brasil in Portuguese, who are taking part as an entire country.
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

Nico

Quote from: ramster on June 10, 2010, 09:07:28 PM
I'd like to point out that whatever your poll says, Brasilia isn't taking part in the World Cup. It's the capital of Brazil, or Brasil in Portuguese, who are taking part as an entire country.
There. Typo corrected.