News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Sith Rolled

Started by The Overlord, November 21, 2008, 09:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Overlord

The Overlord

Inkidu

This isn't the Youtube video you're looking for. *Waves hand* XP
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

The Overlord

Sabby

Okay, all I'm thinking is how authentic those costumes look :D

The Overlord

Quote from: Sabbat on November 21, 2008, 11:10:44 PM
Okay, all I'm thinking is how authentic those costumes look :D

It's because those guys might be members of the 501st.

http://www.501stlegion.org/index.php

There is no actual full suit of reproduction Stormtrooper armor on the general market; the 501st reserves the trade secrets to its members, who craft their armor as a rite of passage. Discussions they've had with the stars, including Mark Hamill, shows the 501st makes more wearable suits, better than the clunky ones they wore in Episode IV. Those were worn for a few hours of shooting, but 501st members walk around in that stuff all weekend at cons. Yeah it's still hot as hell to wear, but it's flexible, built as authentic as possible, but better.

Sabby

The Overlord

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: The Overlord on November 21, 2008, 11:45:12 PM
It's because those guys might be members of the 501st.

http://www.501stlegion.org/index.php

There is no actual full suit of reproduction Stormtrooper armor on the general market; the 501st reserves the trade secrets to its members, who craft their armor as a rite of passage. Discussions they've had with the stars, including Mark Hamill, shows the 501st makes more wearable suits, better than the clunky ones they wore in Episode IV. Those were worn for a few hours of shooting, but 501st members walk around in that stuff all weekend at cons. Yeah it's still hot as hell to wear, but it's flexible, built as authentic as possible, but better.

Some friends of mine had a similar experience with the guy who plays Gowron (ST:NG Klingon) when he saw their Klingon armor.  Amazing how the fans will build something that is semi-functional, as opposed to what the official costumers make. ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

Quote from: Oniya on November 22, 2008, 11:25:40 AM
Some friends of mine had a similar experience with the guy who plays Gowron (ST:NG Klingon) when he saw their Klingon armor.  Amazing how the fans will build something that is semi-functional, as opposed to what the official costumers make. ;)

Robert O'Reilly played Gowron. I don't know if you make it to cons at all, but just do a big one like Dragoncon a few years and you come to understand that you never, ever underestimate the power of fandom, especially where sci-fi/fantasy fans are concerned.

I purchased a Darth Vader Force FX saber this year at the con, and had it with me when I happened on a guy dressed as Capt. Jack Sparrow, who also had one (for some reason pirates with lightsabers tends to work). I took his picture and he proceeded to explain to me that the difference in the little power coupling doohickey on the upper side of the hilt varied between them because his was a Series II or something, and mine was a later Series IV. He also pointed out that between episodes IV and VI, the chain going about Vader's neck holding his cape was either silver or black, and specifically what color in each movie.

Now, A New Hope released when I was a little kid, and I thought I was a fanboy over the years, and had noticed the chain difference...not in which movies, but on that evening I was pwned and out-Star-Wars'ed severely. The fans will study all the details in a piece of canon equipment, and they'll reproduce it better than the stage props. For instance, there is allegedly a flaw in Clone Trooper armor in one of the new movies, IIRC a visor at the wrong angle, which made it on screen. Fan repros faithfully even duplicated this flaw.  :-\

Oniya

I'm the proud owner of a 15-foot long hand-knit scarf, which is one more snowfall from being pulled out of the closet.  ;)  The power is indisputable.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Trieste

The 501st ... now there are some crazy, crazy people - though they are not the only ones who make good stormie armour.

I'm still a fan of the cheesecake series of the stormie, the scout trooper, the TIE pilot ... even though wimmenz would never be in the Imperial forces, they look good in the outfits! :D

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Mellonlegolas

Quote from: Oniya on November 23, 2008, 09:44:48 AM
I'm the proud owner of a 15-foot long hand-knit scarf, which is one more snowfall from being pulled out of the closet.  ;)  The power is indisputable.

I just started knitting my own Doctor 4-esque stripped, 15 foot, scarf ^.^
My ons and offs can be found here

Avi

I love how most people in these videos just ignore the fact that there are Imperials dancing in the streets... XD
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Trieste

... why don't people do this in my city...?

The Overlord

Quote from: aviationrox on November 23, 2008, 11:41:17 AM
I love how most people in these videos just ignore the fact that there are Imperials dancing in the streets... XD

What I coined as 'train face'. Ever ride a city train or subway and you know what I mean...there's always that one guy that tries to keep a straight face and avoid everything.

Oniya

Then again, it looked like Tokyo.  After all the Godzilla movies, what kind of threat is a guy in a robot-looking suit?   ;D

Trieste

Didn't one of them say it was in harajuku, which I think is the fashion district (or maybe just the chic district) of Tokyo?