Ame-Comi, the DC Universe with a Twist! (Action, Adventure)

Started by Scribbles, November 13, 2013, 07:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scribbles

After much craving and little satiation, I’ve decided to take the plunge and offer my own submission for a heroic RP! If you're interested in a character, please PM me and I'll let you know if I feel you're the right fit. Don't be upset if I decline or suggest another character; think of it as auditioning for a role.

What is the Setting?
The setting is the DC universe but with a twist, all the heroes and villains are female (a la Ame-Comi)!

Will there be a System?
You won’t need to know any system to play, AT ALL, but there will be a system working in the background.  For those who care about the rolls taking place behind the scenes, I’ll be posting them in a separate thread. I’ll also include comments with each roll and the rules in said thread so that they can tell what’s happening, although I hope everybody will be more focused on the story than the number crunching.

Will the characters be canon or originals?
BOTH!

There will be a list of playable canon characters although some have been weakened to help accommodate them into the plot, such as Wonder Woman and Green Lantern. They’ll still be more formidable than their peers in a straightforward fight but they’ll need help to overcome certain challenges. As for original characters, they’ll be slightly weaker than their canon counterparts but strong enough to contribute.

Also, for those who are wondering, the game definitely has space for males but they will have to be regular humans. PM me if you’d like to create a male character so that I can help you build something which will fit the plot and at least be relatively useful. If you’re interested in creating a love interest, all the better.

How familiar do I need to be with the material?
I’m willing to help people with the material so don’t hesitate to ask if you’re interested in playing a character but know only a bit about them. Just be sure you know at least a little. I do want to keep the game relatively close to canon but within reason, I do not expect a player to know every tiny detail about the character they’re playing, only enough to portray them properly. That said, this game explores the characters near the start of their careers, so there isn’t much to learn.

Heroes or Villains?
You can play either although the initial plot revolves around a classic hero and villain team-up, where they set aside their differences to battle a common threat. The team-up won’t last for the entire RP.

What is the Story?
This is just an interest check so I’m still writing up the plot. It will not follow the comics and will likely take a bit since I have to try account for EVERY decision the players might make during the course of the game. This is also one of the reasons that I’m trying to limit the more powerful characters.

At the moment, the plot works under the impression that the characters have been fighting crime but nothing “world threatening” just yet. This will be their first foray into saving planet Earth; hopefully the start of many adventures together.

Will the game be Linear?
The game will follow a path but it will be filled with choices which will have a variety of consequences...

How will the game treat Sex?
Sex with NPCs will be possible but my main focus will be keeping the plot coherent and on course, so they’ll all be treated as fade-to-black. It’s probably best to look to other players if you’re seeking something more in-depth.

Plans for the Future?
While the initial plot will be a team effort by the characters, which will hopefully give everyone a chance to shine, the subsequent chapters will be treated a little differently. My idea is to have each chapter, after the initial plot, focus on a different character, giving them an opportunity to hog the spotlight for a bit and test their abilities.

Would you like some Help?
I would but not in the way you might be thinking. What I really need are people to bounce ideas off, to help me create coherent chapters and spot any loopholes players might exploit. I also might need a second narrator, depending on how much interest is shown.

What characters may I Select?
Any woman in the Ame-Comic Universe or the DC Universe is up for grabs but only after I give them the thumbs up. I know there are some insanely powerful characters out there and I don't see them fitting well, just try and pick something more down to earth, in the line of Batgirl, Beast Grrl, Big Barda, etc.

List of wanted heroic characters!

Batgirl – Available
Green Lantern – Powered Down, Available
Robin – Available
Steel – Available
Wonder Woman – Powered Down, Available

List of wanted villainous characters!

Catwoman – Available
Cheetah – Available
Duela Dent – Available
Harley Quinn – Available

TAKEN CHARACTERS
Super Girl
Power Girl
Starfire
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Ascia

Interested, though naturally uncommitted until I get an idea of plot, IC quality, etc.

mia h

Worth keeping an eye on as long as it doesn't get too serious, cause anthing that has stuff like this isn't meant to be taken seriously  :-)
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Scribbles

Blinkin,

Aww, I knew I should have sprinkled "canon" beneath a mound of cookie crumbs...

Mia H,

Yup, very seriously, I expect Dark Knight raspy voices from everyone!

Silliness aside, I'm aiming for a more light-hearted tone although it's not going to be a comedy either.

Understandable Ascia, I'm actually aiming for a decent level of IC quality, especially for characters such as Duela Dent and Harley Quinn.
AA and OO

Roxy Rocket

*waiting for digital marketplaces to stop having hiccups*

Re: Canon - - I guess we haven't sorted much of that out yet, but since Mia H brought it up... Are we allowed to play around with the costumes a little?

(Also? Love the no-no-no pose. That combined with the whore line... oh, the sides, they hurt.)

mia h

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on November 13, 2013, 09:05:39 AM
Re: Canon - - I guess we haven't sorted much of that out yet, but since Mia H brought it up... Are we allowed to play around with the costumes a little?

I did??  ??? That's how Ame-Comi Wonder Woman is supposed to look

Scribbles

Many of the costumes change during the course of the series, with each artist, so you have a "relatively" decent line to pick from.

At the moment, I'm focused on hammering out the plot so that I can send it to those who have offered a helping hand in its development. If you're interested in a character, please PM me and I'll let you know if I feel you're the right fit. Don't be upset if I decline or suggest another character; think of it as auditioning for a role.
AA and OO

Roxy Rocket

I scape-goat-ed ya, Mia. Apologies.

Ahem.

I, Roxy, am a loony and about my third thought about a superhero RP is whether I can fiddle with the costume. I am now distracted from the question by reading canon, which is helping ease the pain of hydrology review.

Edit Due to Scribbles Reply:

Neato. I'm slow-reading the comics but I guess I'll be slathering for plot notes.

So, Scwibbly, what are you looking for as an audition? (Writing sample, an in character sample, the character as we see it, etc?)

Scribbles

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on November 13, 2013, 09:53:08 AMSo, Scwibbly, what are you looking for as an audition? (Writing sample, an in character sample, the character as we see it, etc?)

No, nothing like that, it's as simple as expressing interest and I'll do the rest.
AA and OO

Yukina

Roxy Rocket

Alrighty. Interest expressed.

I can see why the series sank, but dangit there's so much potential... Anyhoo. Out of the folks in the thread so far which ones of us have...

... Read the series Scribsy is jazzing on? (Ame-Comi Girls)
      ... Have a broad acquaintance with the DC 'verse? (movies, cartoons,)
      ... Actually read a lot of the comics and know the mythology?
      ... Are up to date on the current continuity for the regular comics? (New 52? Dunno the terms even.)

If anyone's got a list of suggestions on good recent stuff I'd love to get pointed in that direction. I read a bunch of Batman/Superman years ago but my grasp on the DC lore is feeble.

Quote from: Scribbles on November 13, 2013, 07:18:07 AM
That said, this game explores the characters near the start of their careers, so there isn’t much to learn.

Ah. The less-panic. It is happy-thing.

Scribbles

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on November 13, 2013, 06:49:01 PMI can see why the series sank, but dangit there's so much potential...

Personally, I'm probably going to avoid anything with the name Jimmy Palmiotti from now on...

Anyway, almost done with the plot but I have to hop off for now, those who are interested can expect it tomorrow.
AA and OO

HeavenAbove

Just wanted to throw it out there... I love the comic book xD

mia h

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on November 13, 2013, 06:49:01 PM
Alrighty. Interest expressed.

I can see why the series sank, but dangit there's so much potential...
I didn't do that badly, 39 issues isn't a total disaster

Anyhoo. Out of the folks in the thread so far which ones of us have...
... Read the series Scribsy is jazzing on? (Ame-Comi Girls)
... Have a broad acquaintance with the DC 'verse? (movies, cartoons,)
... Actually read a lot of the comics and know the mythology?
... Are up to date on the current continuity for the regular comics? (New 52? Dunno the terms even.)
*ticks all the boxes*

If anyone's got a list of suggestions on good recent stuff I'd love to get pointed in that direction. I read a bunch of Batman/Superman years ago but my grasp on the DC lore is feeble.

Ah. The less-panic. It is happy-thing.

I wouldn't have thought that anyone would need to know that much for the game. But if you're looking to read stuff that can get a bit problematic, DC have organised things so there are very few stand alone series, on one hand that's good because everything feels intergrated but on the other hand if you say pick up Green Lantern you'll also end up having to read at least some Green Lantern Corps, The New Guardians and Red Lanterns to get the full story. So it depends on what kind of things you like as to what you shouldpick up, but here's everything they publish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_New_52_publications

If you are looking for what's "important" then it's worth keeping an eye on what Geoff Johns writes, as he's the big creative guy.

Scribbles

I just didn't enjoy how rushed the comics felt, it seemed as if there was a lot of potential for something more and yet it was as if the writers were in a hurry to end one story and start the next. Some of the artwork was also horrendous.

Okay, some small changes to the game, any woman in the Ame-Comic Universe or the DC Universe is now up for grabs but only after I give them the thumbs up. I know there are some insanely powerful characters out there and I don't see them fitting well, just try and pick something more down to earth, in the line of Batgirl, Beast Grrl, Big Barda, etc.
AA and OO

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: mia h on November 14, 2013, 04:45:54 AM
I wouldn't have thought that anyone would need to know that much for the game. But if you're looking to read stuff... it's worth keeping an eye on what Geoff Johns writes...
Aaaand my local comic book people organize a lot of their store by "who wrote this." This makes me happy.

Re: The ticking noise - - I've never read comics consistently. Often I recognize things (Kandor, the city in a bottle) but when it comes to other stuff (does X character know Krypto the wonder dog?) I know I don't know. Then there's "I dunno that I dunno, ya know?" territory, which I'm trying not to live in all the time and annoy people thereby.

Least I can do is a bit of homework. (And stop talking like Yoda.)

As for the quality / run length... Lemme see if I can do this without writing an essay:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
      I love the lively art style. I don't like the inconsistent quality of the panels. The panel layout was apparently for tablets, which I don't have the background to understand properly but felt pretty unsatisfying. Definitely I wouldn't have minded more expressive artwork, not just brighter, more lively stuff.

The story was all over the place. The focus and pace seemed to be way off. I'd love to know how Batgirl and Robin dealt with being grounded cause Power Girl (superman) wouldn't tell a lie. Lex Luthor as a political outsider trying to "free" Metropolis of her scheming Kyrptonian Mistress? Wonderful, but gets discarded in about three seconds.

I could have done without a twelve issue "buildup" to an incomprehensible fight that killed the galaxy (and reset the continuity?) with details about hawkgirl's marriage, Alana Strange's entire backstory and the really-cool-green-lantern's really uncool climbing a mountain on TV and fighting a random villain.

I'm, like, the last person who knows what she's talking about. I'm used to comic to a series like Nextwave, Transmetropolitan, The Maxx, Hellblazer... years after they're done, with the same writer(s) and artist(s).

And whoever decided to do it in tablet "format" needs to be slapped. It's like Scott McCloud has been talking to himself for twenty years. Ugh.

Quote from: Scribbles on November 14, 2013, 07:22:42 AM
Okay, some small changes to the game, any woman in the Ame-Comic Universe or the DC Universe is now up for grabs but only after I give them the thumbs up.

I like how they dug up a lot of characters instead of just swapping the sexes. The Robin being drawn from The Dark Knight Returns gave me a warm feeling. I liked that book.

Yukina

Scribbles

AA and OO

Yukina

Not a problem. I just feel a bit outclassed in this roleplay.

Roxy Rocket

Gotta lift weights to life... um, bigger weights? Aw shucks. Sorry Yugi. Didn't mean to get all blabby. Still, guess if ya dun wanna come along ya dun wanna. Maybe another time, yah?

Uh, so, back on the topic of over thinking: Characters.

Didn't wanna claim anyone cause that might discourage other people expressing their interest in playing that character. Still, maybe we could start talking about who looks tasty to us and why and maybe we'd get somewhere cool by brainstorming.

Like I said, dun wanna discourage so... spoilers.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

I originally wanted to gun for the Supergirl, aka the Girl Scout of Steel. Then I read the series and was surprised that Power Girl was the Superman stand in... but Supergirl's resume is basically: Too little, too late, too bad, so sad... turned evil and almost screwed the day and Wonder Woman had to whoop and hogtie her.

So I was like... Yes, Fail-Monkey-Supergirl! But I wanted to downplay Supergirl's super-ness 'cause the scale of a lot of that stuff just makes mah brain hurt.

Alternatively? Captain Marvel, aka Shazam! Cause my first impulse all along was: tough, strong and flies... but their real power is being upbeat about things.

But? But.

Based on the comic itself, I think Catwoman / Robin / Batgirl are more my speed if we're sticking to the comic series as is. Again: Positive, upbeat, specially Robin who's basically nothing except that.

And someone mentioned that interest has been leaning towards the big timers, not the "stays on the ground, uses a whip, makes with the snark, has a conscience," types. Also having Robin in there with Batgirl might be odd. Dunno.

Aaaand maybe people wanted to form a villain team instead of a hero team? Never know.

Someone wanna weigh in. First impulse, impressions, concerns, wacky ideas?

La.

PhantomPistoleer

So, instead of Robin, could someone instead choose Nightwing?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

mia h

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on November 14, 2013, 11:47:04 PM
So, instead of Robin, could someone instead choose Nightwing?

Quote from: Scribbles on November 14, 2013, 07:22:42 AM
Okay, some small changes to the game, any woman in the Ame-Comic Universe or the DC Universe is now up for grabs but only after I give them the thumbs up. , etc.

I guess that's a yes (probably), but why would anyone want to be the one on the left?  :P

Scribbles

PhantomPistoleer,

Nightwing is fine!

Mia H,

Aww, he looks adorable (and grumpy), but I think PhantomPistoleer was imagining something more along these lines:
AA and OO

mia h

Quote from: Scribbles on November 16, 2013, 01:38:08 PM
PhantomPistoleer,

Nightwing is fine!

Mia H,

Aww, he looks adorable (and grumpy), but I think PhantomPistoleer was imagining something more along these lines:

*approves this Nightwing*  ;D

PhantomPistoleer

Actually, I didn't realize that all of the heroes and villains were women.  That's a neat concept, but I kind of like a male Nightwing. ;)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Roxy Rocket

Alrighty. I got a line from Scribbles. She's looking to talk about the plot, which she's reworked a couple of times trying to get a feel for how she wants to play this. This is based on who seems to be interested and who wants to play and as what.

*sighs*

But I think I should be moseying on at this point.

My interest here is mostly about turning the source material on its head. What comes out of my mouth is going to be boring and perverse. It's going to be much, much simpler if I'm not involved. I'm just not interested in the same parts of this stuff in the same way as I think other folks are.

So, uh, good luck with it? I dunno if there's be more interest when you've got a clear scenario laid out but ya can hope, right?

Anyway. Least I got ta read somethin' neat. Thanks for that bit Scribbles.

*waves*

Scribbles

So this idea is dead but if anyone is interested, I do have two suggestions.

Shadowclaw is busy creating a DC universe RP for those looking for something in that setting...

Otherwise you could try "Deviations: Outbreak" by Adonis: Linky!

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on November 18, 2013, 01:38:19 PMMy interest here is mostly about turning the source material on its head. What comes out of my mouth is going to be boring and perverse.

Boring and perverse? I'm not sure those two go together.

It was nice meeting you, Roxy. Your interest and input was very welcome as it encouraged me to keep trying. Same goes for Mia H and Ascia.
AA and OO