A lot of questions

Started by Hrairoo, November 18, 2019, 03:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hrairoo

Just want to make sure about things before I post or get help finding things. Most of these will come across with a general nervousness towards posting but my impression of this place so far is that I will be expected to think before I leap.

• Do I need to know the citation and information for every photo uploaded to the wiki?

answered

• What is the difference between an O/O list and a request thread put in specific searching sections? I've been looking around and several O/O seem very detailed.

• I really like the multi-post organized O/Os. As I'm making mine, I think I'd like it to be multi-posted. I'm just double checking this before I do it : would it be alright if I made a thread there and then put 6-7 "reserved" posts in it right away? That way as I'm constructing it, I'm not needlessly bumping it.

• Looking around, I noticed the organization of the storytelling sections and wondered about rps where nothing NC is planned but if it comes up in the story, it would have to be moved to that section, correct? NC encompasses all things beyond consent? Like dub-con or coercion would also go in there?

• When making a story with someone do you have to put tags in the OP? I saw for one-shots that you do but just wondered if something similar should go in the OP of a story thread in the other sections?

• Are f-list links allowed here? I mean, the built-in preferences is a cool feature but I like the scale and listings for f-list much better. It would be nice to have both available on my profile.

• Does the preferences list have explanations for what the things are? A lot of it is intuitive, some of the items, I don't really get what it is referring to, contextually.

• If I am open to and like to write non-sexual stories in addition to stories that include a bit of smut, is it alright if I ask to be added to the Stor-E Writers Registry? Or is that for writers who only write non-sexual stories?

• Is it okay to set up a search thread or an on/offs thread even if I am not currently looking for new stories or partners? Like, I see that you guys do not "bump" here, and you allow...a lot of threads in each section(4?? Wow!).

- So, what is the normal method of looking for a partner? Do people search keywords and tags, or do they actually go looking through the "looking" sections and pore over the most recent stuff? Would it be a bad idea to make a search thread even if I may not be searching again for a few months, if it means it'll likely be on the back pages by the time I'm ready? I just would like to hear someone explain it directly how this search works in this community, so, I can determine if I should make one and let it sit or not.

• So, is it okay to still post in the Word of the Day thread? Or now that I'm an approved member, should I not post in the Introductions section?

• Also, I like the Writing Prompt thread in the Literary section; is it okay to post stuff for older prompts?

• If I really like my writing for a certain prompt, is it okay to use it as a writing sample elsewhere? I mean, it'll just be my writing and I wouldn't be making links to here or anything. I just wanted to double check on that.

Blythe

1) Perfectly acceptable and encouraged! :)
2) I don't see why not!
3) So long as it's just your writing and not someone else's, you can use your own writing where you like.

Hrairoo

Quote from: Bly on November 18, 2019, 03:25:15 PM
1) Perfectly acceptable and encouraged! :)
2) I don't see why not!
3) So long as it's just your writing and not someone else's, you can use your own writing where you like.

You're awesome. Thank you, Bly.

Hrairoo

Some more questions.

• Are f-list links allowed here? I mean, the built-in preferences is a cool feature but I like the scale and listings for f-list much better. It would be nice to have both available on my profile.

• Does the preferences list have explanations for what the things are? A lot of it is intuitive, some of the items, I don't really get what it is referring to, contextually.

• If I am open to and like to write non-sexual stories in addition to stories that include a bit of smut, is it alright if I ask to be added to the Stor-E Writers Registry? Or is that for writers who only write non-sexual stories?

• Is it okay to set up a search thread or an on/offs thread even if I am not currently looking for new stories or partners? Like, I see that you guys do not "bump" here, and you allow...a lot of threads in each section(4?? Wow!).

- So, what is the normal method of looking for a partner? Do people search keywords and tags, or do they actually go looking through the "looking" sections and pore over the most recent stuff? Would it be a bad idea to make a search thread even if I may not be searching again for a few months, if it means it'll likely be on the back pages by the time I'm ready? I just would like to hear someone explain it directly how this search works in this community, so, I can determine if I should make one and let it sit or not.

Ariel

1. F-lists are allowed so long as they are linked somewhere where non-approved members cannot see them. Meaning - they can’t be in your 1x1 request thread, because unapproved members can see those threads. But you can include it in your O/Os and your signature if you want, or anywhere that is in the middle column of the index page or the right column of the index page. Make sense?

2. Not that I can think of. You can always google the terms or ask for clarification here.

3. Yes, you can join that list if you are open to writing non-smut stories. :-)

4. Yes, you can still make an O/O thread even if you aren’t looking for any RPs. You can also make a 1x1 request thread but I suggest you make it clear that you aren’t looking for any RPs from the start so that people don’t PM you. Also, we do allow bumps, which you can read about here.

5. It just depends. People search the 1x1 threads, use the search bar, PM people who interest them, read O/Os and start from there... it really just depends on the person. Does that kinda help?
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Blythe

To elaborate a bit on Ariel's answers:

1) Ariel is 100% right. It's also important to be careful which preferences you mention as liking in your F-list too; F-list allows some things we don't allow here, so if your F-list link mentions a preference for something we won't allow, we may ask you to alter your F-list.

2) Sadly, no. The O/O matrix here is likely going to be nuked when we upgrade the forum software to Elkarte, but that's something the site owner knows the most about.

3) This is fine! Just make a post in there and either the OP will update it or possibly a moderator. (If you post there and you notice you've not been added to the 1st post in a couple of days, poke me via PM and I will add you)

4) This is fine. :)

5) There's a lot of methods of looking for a partner. There's no reason you can't create your search thread; we allow some leeway in bump policy if you are first establishing your thread. (If you post your thread and have no new activity in it for over a month, our bump policy would allow you to bump it)

I would say the two most common means of finding a partner are probably looking through the most recent requests in the requests sections and PMing people that one is interested in. The other method I've heard a lot about is that some people might read an Ons and Offs thread and choose to PM someone for that reason. Another method is the Story Lottery.  Another method can include making a One-Shot request.

Hrairoo

Yes, that does help a lot. Thank you, Ariel and Bly.

So, unapproved people cannot click on my profile, so, I can put an f-list in the blurb in the preferences(like it's the O/O list but it is listed as "preferences" in the link on profiles)?

Ah. Understood. I don't think I have anything extreme on there but I'll review it and the rules before I link to it. So, if the profile preferences thing is going to be removed when the site upgrades, should I just wait and focus on a specific O/O list instead of the profile preferences?

These explanations really helped a lot. Thank you. I love how thorough things are here.

Ariel

Unapproved members can click on profiles but they don’t see signatures so that’s where you’d put your F-list link. You can’t change the preference link iirc - it’s coded to redirect to the matrix.

And yes, I would say it’s more beneficial for you in the long run to make a O/O thread instead of filling out the matrix :-) especially if you’re going to be doing the F-list as well.
Not accepting new RPs

Hrairoo

Quote from: Ariel on November 18, 2019, 10:38:45 PM
Unapproved members can click on profiles but they don’t see signatures so that’s where you’d put your F-list link. You can’t change the preference link iirc - it’s coded to redirect to the matrix.

And yes, I would say it’s more beneficial for you in the long run to make a O/O thread instead of filling out the matrix :-) especially if you’re going to be doing the F-list as well.

Understood. Thank you again, Ariel, for you help. 👍

Ariel

Not accepting new RPs

Hrairoo

Edit: these were answered elsewhere but any other help would not be unwanted.

I'm just going to bump this and stay in here for any questions I have. *rubs eyes anxiously*

• What is the difference between an O/O list and a request thread put in specific searching sections? I've been looking around and several O/O seem very detailed.

• I really like the multi-post organized O/Os. As I'm making mine, I think I'd like it to be multi-posted. I'm just double checking this before I do it : would it be alright if I made a thread there and then put 6-7 "reserved" posts in it right away? That way as I'm constructing it, I'm not needlessly bumping it.

• Looking around, I noticed the organization of the storytelling sections and wondered about rps where nothing NC is planned but if it comes up in the story, it would have to be moved to that section, correct? NC encompasses all things beyond consent? Like dub-con or coercion would also go in there?

• When making a story with someone do you have to put tags in the OP? I saw for one-shots that you do but just wondered if something similar should go in the OP of a story thread in the other sections?

Sain

Let's see.

-It's just the place they're in. O/O list in the profile is a leftover that will get removed from the site eventually.

-You can put reserved there, or bump it every time you update. It's up to you which you prefer.

-NC is everything from dubious consent up to Extreme yes. And yes, those threads can then be moved to appropriate section no problem.

-No need for tags if you don't want to. How you do your RP thread with your writing partner is entirely up to the preferences of the two of you.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Hrairoo

Quote from: Sain on November 19, 2019, 11:22:55 AM
Let's see.

-It's just the place they're in. O/O list in the profile is a leftover that will get removed from the site eventually.

-You can put reserved there, or bump it every time you update. It's up to you which you prefer.

-NC is everything from dubious consent up to Extreme yes. And yes, those threads can then be moved to appropriate section no problem.

-No need for tags if you don't want to. How you do your RP thread with your writing partner is entirely up to the preferences of the two of you.

Thank you for the reply, Sain. I think I'm starting to get the hang of things now. 👍

Sain

PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Mirrah

Going a little into detail: At present, the plan is for the O/Os matrix to eventually be removed, but the O/Os threads will remain.

Some people post similar information between their request threads and O/Os; the level of detail they to go into is up to them. Request threads are primarily for presenting ideas for stories/RPs that you are currently looking to write, and Ons and Offs threads are great for allowing prospective partners get a feel for your writing preferences and style.

Each request section is for different things: One is strictly for PG-13 roleplays. One is for on-site (whether public or in PMs) roleplays with adult (or extreme/violent) content. One is for off-site roleplays. Each section has a description at the top, which you can check if you get confused.
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

Hrairoo

Quote from: Mirrah on November 19, 2019, 05:37:53 PM
Going a little into detail: At present, the plan is for the O/Os matrix to eventually be removed, but the O/Os threads will remain.

Some people post similar information between their request threads and O/Os; the level of detail they to go into is up to them. Request threads are primarily for presenting ideas for stories/RPs that you are currently looking to write, and Ons and Offs threads are great for allowing prospective partners get a feel for your writing preferences and style.

Each request section is for different things: One is strictly for PG-13 roleplays. One is for on-site (whether public or in PMs) roleplays with adult (or extreme/violent) content. One is for off-site roleplays. Each section has a description at the top, which you can check if you get confused.

I see. Thank you for elaborating on these points, Mirrah. I think I'm finally getting it here and finding the appropriate readings on how to operate.

Hrairoo

• Do I need to know the citation and information for every photo uploaded to the wiki?

Mirrah

You do not, however please do keep in mind the site's image rules--they also apply to the wiki. If a model appears to look younger than 18, you may be asked to cite their information and the source of the image in question (to prove they were 18+ when the image was taken), or to remove it since Elliquiy is an adult site (in the case of no information being available as proof of age).
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

Hrairoo

Quote from: Mirrah on November 19, 2019, 07:14:10 PM
You do not, however please do keep in mind the site's image rules--they also apply to the wiki. If a model appears to look younger than 18, you may be asked to cite their information and the source of the image in question (to prove they were 18+ when the image was taken), or to remove it since Elliquiy is an adult site (in the case of no information being available as proof of age).

Gotcha. No problem at all.

I need some help from someone to upload the picture I want to use. The device I currently have downloads images too big, no matter their size and I cannot adjust sizes with it. Would it be alright to have someone upload an image to the wiki for me so that I can change my avatar? I do not know how I got my current avatar; I just tried links of several different appropriate images and one of them worked. But as I understand, it is preferable to use the wiki, yes? In any case, I would like to change it without using the same dartboard method.

Lexandria

Avatars don't need to be added to the wiki, there's a direct way to do them. If you'd like you can send me an image link in PM and I can resize and send it back to you.