News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Exalted freeform (closed to new interest)

Started by Guancyto, November 02, 2017, 11:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cessali

So I've been eyeballing this off and on for the past few days, trying to see if I've got a character I want to put together and/or dust off in a Wu Jian environment, and I finally gelled something together.  Updated for finalized sheet!

Safi Chains-Kami, No Moon Lunar Exalted

story
Wu Jian is an old city, built upon its own bones; there are gods and powers-that-be in its depths that have not seen the sun in a thousand years, and many of them are quite content to keep it that way.  Once, Safi was part of an unofficial line of exorcist-shamans living in the city's bowels, training at the feet of her elders and learning from wise, somewhat-helpful spirits in arts that would help keep her extended family safe from predation -- human, or otherwise.  She felt a sense of purpose in this work, savoring the adept's life even with the dangers; she knew she was doing good, and brooked no contest of her growing power.  She knew more than was good for her, and that led her into trouble with some frequency.

But one day, when she beseeched the aid of the gods whom she worshipped, they met her with silence.  She had no warning of her abandonment, or that her elders had chosen her to slake the hungers of an oft-quiescent but tremendously-dangerous raksha that lived within the bowels of the city.  Safi refused to go out quietly, though, and gave the Long Fangs of Abalone a long chase -- obscuring her path and presence with all the occult tricks she knew, turning its hunger into excitement, then turning excitement into annoyance and frustration with traps, tricks, and pain.  Luna must have seen this and been pleased by her struggle, for when Safi thought she had run out of tricks, she found herself radiant with His light -- time enough to wound the Long Fangs and make an escape proper... from the depths of the undercity, and from Wu Jian itself.

That was twenty years ago.  She is older and wiser now, though none of those years are on her face; she has learned much at the feet of Silver Pact mentors, and been turned loose to satisfy her own desires.  First among them is the calling of Home, and so she has returned to Wu Jian -- to learn what secrets the city kept from her in her mortal days, and what secrets it kept from even her wisest mentors.  She has time, now: time, and discretion.

sheet

TALENTS
Occult Savant - To be master of the hidden world, one must know its ins and outs; Safi's hard-earned skill is matched by very few in Wu-Jian.
Savvy Speaker - While few people -like- her, Safi's wry curiosity has a tendency to disarm people against their will and open their hearts to her.
Warrens Vermin - For all the changes in her life since her mortal days, Safi knows and remembers the underside of Wu-Jian like the back of her hand -- not just the wheres and hows of the city, but the whos and the whys, as well.  Increasingly, it knows and remembers her as well.
Apothecary-Alchemist - Many of Safi's eccentric trade secrets are aided and abetted by a practical interest in chemistry; she passes this activity off as an interest in medicines and medicine-making, but she knows much more than this exotic drugs, touchstones, firedust refinement, and even the secrets of the magical materials.

GIFTS
Spirit-Binding Sorceress - Safi is a sorceress of some accomplishment, and her specialty is in spirit-binding.  Ghosts, devils, elementals, if there is a way for a ritual to get its hooks in a spiritual being, then she knows it, and probably even has one of them serving her right now.
Horrible Spider Monster Body - Tuned to the spider's gifts, Safi wields them to delay, sabotage, and hamper: poison , threads of silken essence, preternatural speed, and inhuman agility.  When even these fail her, she invokes her totemic power directly with the Deadly Beastman Transformation.
Shapeshifter Par Excellence - While all Lunar Exalts are capable of shapeshifting, Safi has taken some pleasure in exploring the variety of forms she may steal, use, and abuse, human and otherwise.
Preternatural Sensitivity - See the invisible, hear the inaudible, track that which never touched the ground; Safi employs these tricks and more.

Premier

Heck yeah Spider Lunars.

How many you planning on for this Guan?

Guancyto

Gonna be looking for 4-6 of any persuasion. If I get eight applications for wannabe noir detectives then I'll roll with wannabe noir detectives, as long as they're distinct enough in personality that you can't trade one for the other then there's not a whole lot of niche protection needed. In particular I don't want to see anybody give up a concept they like just because it's the same caste as someone else's.

Consensus seems to overwhelmingly favor Wu-Jian so that's what we'll do! I'll have more detail on everything in the morning, for now, I'm thinking the opening will be... stopping a wedding.

ShadowFox89

Still a work in progress, would like some input...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Cathak Gabrielle
Defiler Infernal, Bounty Hunter/"Freelance Troubleshooter", Former Dynast, Not as Dead as Hoped
"Don't call it a comeback"

Personality

While Gabrielle was raised a dynast, and hedonism tends to come with the lineage, her grandfather instilled a strong sense of honor and duty into the young woman. She burns with a deep desire for revenge, seeking to bring down those who tried to kill her, who took her life from her, but she has her limits. Bringing innocents into the conflict would tarnish it. She is loyal to her friends and those she considers allies, but will stop at nothing to bring low those who have wronged her. Most often, she would rather be telling jokes, encouraging others to cheer up, and relax.

Background
Cathak Gabrielle had it all. Money, power, a harem willing to do whatever she desired. But she never exalted, the blood of the dragons seemed to not be within her veins. And as she tried to hold onto the power that she had become used to, there were those who would see her fall. It was on a cruise to the West, what was supposed to be her last bit of freedom before joining the house legion. Assailants attacked the ship, and in the ensuing chaos, explosions shattered the vessel. All hands were thought lost, Gabrielle herself left to drown in the depths of the ocean. But whoever made the attack only half-assed the job, they never confirmed her death, never found her body. Something outside of Fate had plans for her, some force a bit more malicious than even the corrupt dynasts of the Realm.

Gabrielle awoke beneath the waves, in an abandoned First Age facility hidden away since that Age. Confused, cold, barely able to move, Gabrielle could do little but follow along a path. Some doors seemed to open for her, others staying shut. Something seemed to be guiding her, directing her towards.... something. She soon found what that was, a golden staff that seemed to writhe as she approached. As Gabrielle reached out her hand, the staff seemed to leap into her grasp. A door opened after, a hidden gate leading to Malfeas, where she soon found herself brought to where she would spend some time training to hone her new abilities.

That was well over a year ago. After finishing her training in hell, Gabe came to Wu Jian and set up as a bounty hunter and freelance troubleshooter, offering her services (for a modest sum) to those who can afford it and want an "off the books" sorceress. She has begun to garner a bit of a reputation in the city's underworld, though careful not to let slip her true name.

Supernatural Abilities

Sorcery: Gabrielle spent a bit of time in Malfeas after "dying", and from there learned sorcery from the yozi Kimbery and She Who Lives in Her Name. Gabrielle found a talent for the art, particularly spells that inflict damage and summoning and binding demons to her will.

Teletacles: Gabrielle holds both the Principle of Hierarchy and Kimbery as her patrons. Drawing on both of their abilities, Gabrielle is able to create a mass of nearly-invisible tendrils, almost appearing as the tentacles of a kraken. She uses these both offensively and defensively, preferring to refrain from physically fighting until she truly needs to. While these "teletacles" are not dexterous enough to use to write with, they are more than able to match her own strength. The furthest length they can extend is about three meters and individually each can lift around a hundred pounds.

Unbreakable: Drawing from her connection with Kimbery, Gabrielle is able to regenerate from most any wound, flesh and bone flowing back together as if trying to stab at the sea. Of course, there is a limit to this,
and eventually Gabrielle will begin to succumb to wounds, but until then at the very least she doesn't have to worry about such silly things as "dodging" and can just keep attacking.

Skills

Combat Acumen: Gabrielle was born a soldier. Her grandfather who raised her, is a general known through the West and Realm. She spent most of her life, when not having extravagant parties, learning how to fight and command. Combined with becoming exalted, Gabrielle's fighting skills are more than a match for any mortal, at least on equal power to most dynasts.

Counter-Assassination: As part of her dynastic and military training, Gabrielle was trained how to detect poisons in food, spot hidden weapons and assailants, and keep a possible target safe.

Panoply:

Serpent Fang Staff: The Serpent Fang Staff is a weapon from another Age, a treasure held dear by Gabrielle's first age incarnation. A seven-section staff crafted of orichalcum, moonsilver, and starmetal. It is able to shift it's shape, each of the seven sections able to fuse together with the others, extend a blade, or split off and move individually. A powerful weapon, it has been locked away beneath the see for hundreds of years, kept from looters and scavengers until discovered by Gabrielle.

Relations:

Eyes Like Fire: Though she doesn't know it, Gabrielle owes Fire's action to her current predicament. In her younger years, Gabrielle was betrothed to a dynast from the V'Neef household. It was this betrothal that would set Gabrielle for life, she would not need to worry about losing rank within the Realm or the luxuries she had grown up with. And, contrary to many betrothals within the Realm, the pair actually showed an affection towards each other. Unfortunately, Fate decided otherwise, and Fire intervened. The boy's family was convinced to break off the betrothal. If it were not for the intervention of Heaven, Gabrielle would be living a cushy life as a magistrate's wife.

Cathak Cassiel, also known as the Inferno of the West, Divine Spear of Hesiash, Scourge of Pirates, Cathak Cassiel or grampa Cas as he's known to Gabrielle, Cassiel is a now retired Cathak general and admiral with a long and illustrious carrier, his deeds are known far and wide through the Realm. Of these, his most famous is leading Cathak's small fleet of ships against the pirate scourge known as Vanthan the Black. As the two fleets met in battle, Cassiel charged his ship against the pirate lord's flagship, leading a boarding party personally. In a fight that set ablaze one ship after another, as they moved from ship to ship, Cassiel managed to sink Vanthan's armada. While Vanthan escaped, his threat was eliminated and the Scourge of the West would never regain power. Afterwards, Cassiel was hailed as hero within House Cathak and his legend spread. When Gabrielle's parents passed away, Cassiel adopted her and his sister and raised them as his own.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AndyZ

I could keep Azure Grace/Judgment if she's really liked, but I've had bad experience with caste sharing before.  You wouldn't figure it makes as much of a difference, but usually the castes are separated out the way they are for a reason.

There are two other concepts I'm playing with as well.

One is a Twilight named Infinite Sky who has a hidden Manse and constructs various devices.  Being freeform, I can talk through the options, plan out particular artifacts for myself and others, and we can make quests out of getting the necessary materials.  I'd start her with two artifacts already, one being Wings of the Raptor, another is essentially an Essence Pulse Cannon that mostly stays in Elsewhere until she calls it forth, and it envelops her right forearm while in use.  (Think Mega Buster >.>) 

Her story arc would revolve more about making all sorts of things to make Creation a better place through science and invention.  For example, the West has a very hard time with steel (thanks to simple rust), so she might invent (or already have created) a thaumaturgical recipe called sandsteel, which fuses ordinary sand into a rust-proof quasi-translucent substance that's about as hard as steel.  Objects usually get created by forming wet sand into the particular shape (like making sandcastles) and performing the ritual to harden them.

The Abyssal concept is obviously crueler, a character who doesn't actually kill evil people, but tends to mutilate and blind them, leaving them either to commit suicide or live on as testament to the Chivalry of Death.  It's far less of a happy concept and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't want it in the game.

There's a few other minor concepts I have percolating around as well, but wanted to check if either of those sounded like something you'd really want to run for, or absolutely didn't want to run for.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

ShadowFox89

Except for some minor details, Gabe is ready to go.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Re Z L

I'll have mine up later today

Definitely tomorrow   :'(
A&A

Re Z L

(Still working on it, concept is coming together a little slower than expected)

Lotus
The Shadow That Cuts

• Hair Color:  Blue-Black
  • Eye Color:  Dark Green
  • Skin Color:  White
  • Height:  5' 6"
  • Weight:  135
  • Sexual Preference:  Bisexual

Description

She rarely stands out in a crowd unless she wants to.  Her features are plain enough to allow her that luxury.  Perhaps her most noteworthy trait is her long, blue-black hair.  She keeps half of it braided down along its length which helps keep it mostly out of her way.  Her dark eyes are hard to notice distinctly from a distance, but the dark green gives them a hard edge which she sometimes uses to put people on guard or to cut through them with a sharp glance.  Her clothes are generally more utilitarian than anything else.  Sea-worn leathers at times, or more comfortable, loose-fitting clothes dictated by the weather or by whatever task she may have ahead of her.  She is rarely seen without a variety of weapons, a bandolier of knives, and most notably a pair of butterfly swords.

Background

Lotus, or whatever her original name might have been, was originally a native of Wu-Jian.  The city was not the kindest of places for someone to grow up, and her abusive parents were not the ones anyone would have wished to be raised by.  She had an elder brother who was the closest friend (and family) she had, and he helped to protect her when it was time to pass out the discipline.  It didn't necessarily matter what it was about, perhaps they had come home too late, perhaps they didn't do their chores in just the right way, or perhaps their father was just a little too drunk to come up with a reason.  Their mother was complicit in the physical abuse, but favored emotional torment in the form of forcing them to depend on her for things, belittling them, or making them feel unnecessary guilt.  The children were the drug runners for the pair, either buying from the local dealers, or otherwise "procuring" them.  It kept them out of trouble, while making it easy to just blame the children if something had happened.  Most of Lotus's early life went on like this, which left little time for being a child.

Her brother had devised a plan to get her away from the island.  When she was nearly 12 he stowed her away on the Denzik City Ship just before it left the docks.  He had assured her that he was going to go with her, but ultimately stayed behind, either out of some sense of duty to their parents, or to do something else without her there to worry about.  She never really found out what he went back for.  The slow drift of the ship ensured that she wouldn't easily find her way back to Wu-Jian any time soon.

Already used to fending for herself she took to life as a simple beggar and thief for a time in order to get by.  This way of life inevitably brought her to the secretive law enforcement agencies of Denzik: the Martial Arts gangs.  The Steel Devils were the ones that apprehended her--their leader in fact.  Still far too young to really defend herself the leader of the Martial Arts group took her under his wing and helped raise her and trained her to defend herself and help the organization.  It was nice to finally be part of a community--a family--that cared about her and that she could contribute to in a positive way.

Some years later they left the port of Chiaroscuro and began drifting back towards the West.  Wu-Jian was little more than a bad memory to her by then.  The bustle of the floating city was interrupted some weeks after they had left land with a threat.  A group had smuggled extra firedust on board and had, supposedly, rigged a large portion of the City-Ship to explode.  They were holding the whole city ransom.  She'd since gotten used to the idea of having something to protect instead of being the one that needed protecting so she slipped away from the rest of the Steel Devils and began investigating.  Thinking himself invulnerable due to the stranglehold he had on the city, the man responsible did little to try and hide himself so she observed him from a distance, slipping in and out of crowds, eavesdropping, and taking note of his mannerisms.  It became clear to her soon that the threat wasn't as extensive as they were being led to believe, but still enough of one to do extensive damage to Denzik.

She'd always been an excellent pickpocket, fingers more nimble than the greatest street magicians, and more precise than any carnival knife-thrower, and more delicate than the most skillful lovers.  The skill she drew upon was like a rush of excitement and adrenaline she'd not experienced before as she stole handfuls of Firedust and replaced it with sand.  It was simple, really, once you realized that a handful of coins wasn't so different from a handful of sand--it was just a question of size.  She left the "explosives" in place without any sign of meddling day by day until they were all similarly defused.  She hid away most of the reclaimed Firedust and saved a little extra for another task.  Like a whisper she slipped into where the leader of the group was hiding and tampered with his favored smoking pipe and tobacco.  She laced the tobacco with bits of dust and carved out an extra, hidden section in the pipe to store another small amount of the dust.

With a bone-white mask over her face she confronted the leader.  She explained that he was to give himself up and then the authorities might be lenient with him, otherwise he would find no mercy.  Predictably he retrieved his pipe and packed the tobacco into the bowl with a sneer in her direction.  The strike of the match, and the inhaling of the flame through the pipe was enough to set off the explosive power of the dust, releasing a gout of flame into his mouth and over his face.  The masked Lotus disappeared as if she had never been there, fading away into the crowds that had gathered.  The leader's followers went about the business of setting off the now impotent explosives.  When it became clear that whatever threat had existed was gone the rest of the city's police force rounded them up over the next few days.  No one ever knew of Lotus's involvement, and she preferred to keep it that way, though she took to wearing the mask from time to time to use the reputation to help keep the city a little safer.

Her mind had returned to Wu-Jian eventually, which was where Denzik's next scheduled stop was going to be.  While Denzik had helped raise her she decided it was time to finally go home, no longer the scared little girl she once was.  Perhaps she would find her brother, or perhaps she would find something else.  She bid her farewells to her family on the City-Ship and journeyed back into Wu-Jian to find her future.

Character Info

Skills

• Supernal

• Larceny
  • Caste

• Stealth
    • Socialize
    • Dodge
    • Awareness
  • Favored

• Bureaucracy
    • Melee
    • Brawl/Martial Arts
    • Investigation
    • Presence

Intimacies

• Defining - Principle:  We should protect those that can't protect themselves
  • Major - Tie:  Family; Principle:  Family can be blood, or they can become blood
  • Minor - Principle:  We can be more than our past

Charms

Other Information

A&A

HairyHeretic

Wei Xiaobao - Night Caste Solar (WIP)

Background

Concept: Gentleman Thief (Gambler, con man, etc)
Brief Background: Wei Xiaobao grew up aboard the Saikal's Maw, the ship of the infamous Pirate Queen Crimson Smile. The only male amongst a ship of women pirates, his upbringing was unusual to say the least. As he grew older, he caught strange glances and heard almost whispers of conversations about his birth, though none would ever speak directly of it.

At the age of ten, his mother took him ashore in Wu Jian, the first time he had ever been off a boat, and abandoned him there. Her only words to him were "I've fulfilled my oath, and the debt is paid. You tell him that, hear me?", and then left without a backward glance.

Wei fell in with a gang of street children, leaning the tricks of their trade, though it was in gambling he found his true calling. Over time he learned the ways of the rich and powerful ... after all, they had more to gamble with, and more to lose.

Wei drew his Second Breath at the end of a high stakes gambling bout, the final players being a Fire aspected Outcaste crimelord of Wu Jian, Wei himself and (so he claims) Plentimon, the God of Gamblers. Stories are still told of the night that mountains of jade were won and lost on the roll of a dice and toss of a card, the power of Emerald Eye Han and the Five-fold Lotus Brotherhood shattered, his closest lieutenants slaughtered and his fortress casino burned to the ground.

Wei's Followers

Left to right, the original members of the gang who stayed with him in Wu Jian after he drew his Second Breath, and managed to survive all that the world could throw at them as they fled the West. Kedo, originally the muscle of the group, and an accomplished wrestler. T'yara, specialist in second story work and almost as good with a knife as Wei himself was. Orrun, an alchemical dabbler, but one who could come up with interesting smoke bombs, sleeping draughts and other concoctions.

Ten Thousand Opal Sunrises, though she generally goes by Opal. A former dynast house slave, Wei accidentally won her in a game of cards. She proved a font of useful information on the minds and mannerisms of the dynasts, and is the closest thing the group has to a sage.

Azula joined the group after a slight misunderstanding just outside of Thorns. It's a long story, don't ask. She's the outdoors type, and proved her worth whenever the group had to go cross country for any length of time. Wei is fairly sure she's not entirely human. Maybe fae-blooded, or someone in her recent ancestry got a touch of the Wyld in them.
Turns out she's actually Seafolk, and has been searching for allies to save her home of Oceanmouth (about a thousand miles from Wu Jian, where the Great Western Ocean meets the White Sea). After spending enough time with the band to be sure of Wei's character, she revealed her true self to him, pledging her service to him if he would save her home.

Kafani joined the group in Champoor. Wei stole her from a Guild slave caravan as he felt it would be useful to have someone around who knew something of the region, and could help the others learn how to blend in. Daughter of a merchant who fell on hard times, she's still trying to figure out her role in this odd new environment.

And because his life isn't already complicated enough ...

The Inconsolable Maiden of the Thirteenth Dark Moon

Wei didn't actually mean to disrupt her ritual in Nexus. If he hadn't been running from the horde of cannibalistic wyld tainted mutants in the undercity it would never have happened. And he did at least apologise to the cultist he landed on. And to her.

Of course, given at that moment the mutant horde poured in through the same gap in the ceiling, he had to bid them all a fond farewell. He still remembers that odd look she was giving him though. As if she somehow knew him. And there's still that niggling little feeling in the back of his head that he knows her too. Or used to. Somehow.

She probably didn't really mean it when she said she would find him again.

Probably.

Plot hook I'm thinking is she is the Abyssal incarnation of someone he was involved with during the First Age. Both of them have some inkling of it, but not enough actual memories to figure out what. Enemies to start with, though that's more a matter of form and wounded pride on her part than actual burning desire to string him up by his entrails (though that might change once she gets to know him better ;) ). Possible long term idea would be to somehow win her back to the light .. epic quest time ;)

Powers and competencies:
Performance
Wei is very good at making it seems like he belongs exactly where he is, whoever he is pretending to be at the time. It's a talent that's proven very useful when running cons on assorted rich and powerful figures. Generally he prefers to have some time to set a cover identity up, but needs must when your neck is on the line and all standing between you and assorted sharp and unpleasant objects was your acting skill. Besides which, ventriloquism is fun

Gambler
Never put up anything against Wei in a game of chance that you're not prepared to lose. Especially when he is dealing the cards. It's a very special deck. He claims it belonged to Plentimon himself, the God of Gamblers. Wei can throw the cards as if they were daggers, and they always appear back in his hand or the deck when he wants them.
Cards special ability
Five Ordeals Odyssey power :
In their travels, sometimes the owner of this deck encounter problems that make further progress seem impossible. Before the scene ends, something happens to remove the obstacle to his travel: a sudden squall blows away the approaching pirates, the desert caravan that has run out of water finds an oasis, a secret tunnel offers a way into the fortress, giant birds nest on the island where he is stranded.

But they (and any companions) have only traded one trouble for another, equally severe but possibly soluble: the squall also blows their ship aground in a dangerous land, the oasis has a Fair Folk mistress who transforms men into beasts, the secret passage is prone to dangerous rock falls, catching a ride on a giant bird takes them to a valley of the giant snakes the birds feed upon. This new threat is locked into destiny, so they cannot use Five Ordeals Odyssey again to attempt another escape and perhaps some lesser danger. The Charm also cannot remove impediments to travel that come from outside fate, such as attacking nephwracks or storms of Wyld energy.

Larceny:
Wei met Coral's gaze evenly as she referred to his 'ill calling', lip curling in amusement. "With one single word you would divine every facet of my being? Truly, you have a dizzying intellect, and insight worthy of Long Tusk, God of Walrus Mating Fights." He gave her a courtly bow, one that would not look out of place in any Dragonblooded palace.

"Unlike these others, I am simply Wei. We untrustworthy types change our names as easily as our clothes, so it takes less time to throw away a short name, you see, and they do not weigh you down as much as a longer one when you have to flee." He heard a muffled snort of amusement from one of the others behind him, and his lips twitched in echo.

"Yes, I have been a thief. It may not be something to take pride in being, but I could take pride in being a very good thief. And swindler, and con artist for that matter. Not a murderer, slaver or drug dealer though, unlike say, The Guild. No, I took only from those who took from the people they ground into the dirt beneath gilded boots." His hand rose and with a flourish a trio of cards fanned out between his fingers. "But this .. this was my passion, and where I excelled." Another flourish and the cards vanished again. "It's much easier to part the rich from some small portion of their wealth when they hand it to you willingly. And even more enjoyable when you can out cheat someone who has made their fortune from cheating others."

"So yes, I stand before you a thief and a liar and a cheat, and no doubt a host of other unflattering terms." His flippant tone changed as he spoke again. "And I stand before you a Chosen of the Unconquered Sun. Knowing all of my faults and flaws, he still selected me to serve him, and graced me with his power. So, unless you feel your judgement superior to his, smile when you call me thief. Because I still will."

Healer:
Somewhat to Wei's surprise, it seems the Unconquered Sun has favoured him with the ability to heal with his powers, both Wei's own wounds and those of others. With enough time, he can bring someone back from any injury short of death.

Sailor:
Growing up in the West, Wei is quite familiar with shipboard operations, stories of the sea, and how to survive out there. Given a previous misunderstanding with the Lintha is what sent him to the mainland in the first place, well, he'd prefer not be back out West, but here he is. Go figure. Oh well, it'll all come back to him in no time.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Premier

Eyes Like Fire - Endings Sidereal

Eyes Like Fire was born on the Imperial Isle and would have no doubt grown up to tend the grape plantations of her families Dragonblood Lords but that doesn't really matter much because fate had other ideas. Taken early as a mere baby she was raised in Heaven by the Gods themselves, going through a whole host of Gods focused around child rearing and then taught by the Goddess of Education herself. For the loom said she was to be a was destined to be one of Heaven's chosen and ... well it may have left out a few of the other details or maybe people would have paid a bit more attention to her upbringing.

She'd had years of listening to the Gods subtle hints at the issues with Heaven and she was all ready to finally tackle them when she became an agent of Endings. This did not make her very popular as most Sidereals viewed the Gods more of a frustration to their work than things they should be working to serve. Yet she persisted and as the decades rolled by she didn't waver from this conviction. Unusually for an Endings her talents laid more in social machinations than outright assassination and this eventually lent one bright Elder to shuffle her off into a department no one really wanted to get stuck in. The Bureau of Broken Heart, charged with making sure relationships in Creation ended at the right time, be they romantic, political or even familial. Killing people was easy compared to having to orchestrate personal disaster in people's lives but Eyes Like Fire believed in the mission of Heaven to repair the Loom and took to it with enthusiasm. She's lasted longer in the job than anyone before and actually longer than most of her colleagues full stop, Chosen of Serenity in particular despise her as the hatchet woman for many of their carefully orchestrated marriages. Even if it's all just the whims of fate it's hard to like the woman sent in to undo all your good work.

Of late Eyes Like Fire is starting to grow a little disillusioned that her fellow kin will ever really help the Gods they should serve or fix the loom they safeguard and has begun looking for more radical ways to enact change and if it means Heaven needs to be shaken up to do it so be it. She has yet to cotton onto the irony that the Loyal Heart Assassin has finally aimed her relationship ruining efforts at herself.

Major Abilities

Supernal: Socialize
Eyes Like Fire's true talent is in poisoning the well of social cohesion while sitting in the middle a small pool of untouchable calm as chaos reigns around her. Ruining love, making slaves become masters and turning Taboo into the talk of the town.

Archery:
She likes Archery okay? It's classy and she's really damn good at it.

Investigation:
A hold over from her time being raised by enthusiastic teachers. Eyes likes to know as much as she can as quickly as possible and her pet pattern Spider keeps her fed with the basics, while servants summoned from plants or animals can do the more heavy research work. When all else fails she puts out offerings to the spirits themselves in the hope for a clue, sometimes their advice is even helpful!

Occult:
She's not a Sorcerer, but Eyes Like Fire is 'very' well loved by gods and she tries to know enough to help them in turn. It doesn't hurt that it's led her to learn a fair bit about other kinds of magic and how they touch the world so she can watch for their hand guiding the web of fate off course.

Quiver of Regrets
Usually artifacts are weapons but for Eyes Like Fire it's her Quiver that's enchanted and she uses a regular old bows. It's certainly easier to carry about. Arrows pulled from the Quiver of Regrets don't do any damage when fired but overwhelm their victim instead with despair instead. Armour is useless against the attack, only a strong mind can resist the ensorcelled arrows for any length of time and Eyes Like Fire is used to most guards being thick as bricks.

Wounded Heart Never Heals Style

A Martial Art mostly of her own devising (SHE'S OLD OKAY and the Bureau has some forgotten secrets she's been using), Wounded Heart style is an Archery Martial Art that is based on loss and pain. It gives her great combat advantage of anyone she can rattle or personally wound with her wounds and every blow makes it harder for her opponent to hide their heart from her.

It's about breaking someone's spirit from afar, so neither body has to bear any real wounds. It means she talks a lot in combat and ignoring her is actually not the best way to counter the style, those who refuse to face their wounds only let them fester.

Rajah

Steel and Soft Paws in the Hero's Adytum
The Black Dog of Wu Jian, Twice-Murdered Courier to the Shadows That Eat Stars

• Exaltation:  Abyssal
  • Caste: Dusk
  • Apprenticeship: The Dowager of the Irreverent Vulgate in Unrent Veils
  • Concept:  Shepherd of lost sheep and hunter of the West's wolves
  • Limit Trigger:  Seeing souls shackle themselves to misery and suffering to escape their fear of death
  • Anima Banner: An impression of labyrinthian black hallways limned in bloody reds and sunset purples, stalked by glinting shadows both hungry and lean

Description

A gaunt young man, pale and strange, with the colors of dying evening in his hair and the fading sunlight of dusk radiant in his eyes. His full lips and noble angles are well-matched to the careful wounded dignity he affects at all times, the hard luck princeling with downcast eyes, a mask echoed by his soft voice and the submissive hunch of his shoulders. These things are all costumes, of course; Steel and Soft Paws is a killer of men and gods, a jackal-hearted reaver capable of inhuman savagery at a moment's notice.

Background

Patrician parentage and a life spent as much among pleasure vessels and noble company as the sunlit upper layers of Wu Jian did little to prepare Akare Tag for the tragedy that was to befall him. He doesn't talk much about his death or the destiny it sundered, though it's no secret that Akare Tag was last seen weeping, dragged down into the great sewer-caves of Wu Jian by the exile raksha Song of Frogs. His family mourned his death for two years, all but one uncle and one clever sister, both of whom have disappeared under suspicious circumstances.

Steel and Soft Paws in the Hero's Adytum, as he calls himself now, has not technically left the service of the Deathlords; the Dowager cares little enough for affairs that would draw her attention from her beloved scrying-pool or the games she plays with the Shoat of the Mire, and though the Bodhisattva Anointed by Dark Waters is concerned with his movements - and those of Witch, for the Deathlord desires that vessel greatly -  the Bodhisattva's own affairs have limited efforts to investigate Steel and Soft Paws. Steel and Soft Paws was ostensibly sent to Wu Jian to recover certain secret works of necromancy trafficked there, but in truth the Dowager sends most Deathknights foisted upon her out on one mad quest or another and has little expectation of their success or interest in their progress. So long as they kill and don't bother her, she is content.

Which is fortunate. The Abyssal has had no share of troublesome encounters in Wu Jian, and realized somewhere in the course of them that there were more ways than one to end the suffering he abhors. He hunts pirates and lowlives to keep himself sharp, but his true quarry for the last several years has been the Wyld Hunt - he has twice frustrated efforts to slay a newborn Solar in Wu Jian, and twice claimed the lives of Exalted assassins. Seeing the way the city groans under the weight of its vast corruption, he's also begun aiding efforts to break the reaching fingers of Realm and Guild, though the depth and thoroughness of their influence has proven well beyond his worst initial suspicions. In addition he collects the hopeless, the addicted, the broken and the lost, and these folk he slays gently, ushering them from their circumstances and into eternal existences - or Oblivion, as was once requested.

Character Info

LEGEND

• MAGIC

• Warrens of a Forbidden Palace: You will never find the truth; each shadow conceals only more shadows. In darkened structures defiled by heartsblood or old caverns made unfriendly to trespass, Steel and Soft Paws can build doors of rust and bone that all lead to the same mysterious oubliette. This place is part of neither Heaven nor Hell, Creation or its Underworld, though its accursed gateways may adjoin it to those locales; it is a chimera-sanctum formed of the forlorn ephemera of slain eidolons - the once-souls of the Neverborn. It has some traits of a shadowland, but its weirded chambers are far hungrier for living Essence, and do not willingly surrender that which is dead. Even in those places that mimic courtyards or pool-gardens open to false sky, there is no passage to Lethe or to Oblivion or anywhere else at all except through its doors, which any skilled witch might force entry through but which are far more difficult to escape. Murdered things of great potential - spirits, raksha, and mortals - are drawn to this dreaming dark, becoming the materials of new construction, spectral flora and fauna, or haunted furnishings and art.

• Nightmare Hydra Hysteria Spasm: Nightmares cannot be faced; it is their nature to overcome, to divide and swarm the sanity of cornered heroes. Steel and Soft Paws can rip himself apart from the inside, becoming a terrible vampiric monster-thing armored in black iron and bone. In this state he is a most puissant combatant, hideously mobile across several environs, and can create lesser horrors by swallowing sufficient masses of flesh and bone; these strange packmates carry echoes of his dark ferocity, and may follow the Abyssal back to human form if they can find whole corpses to devour and assume.

• Starving Dog Style: Steel and Soft Paws is an accomplished martial artist, capable of outstanding feats of violence and destruction. These feats transcend even the limits of Exalted skill into the truly supernatural, allowing him to tear free magic and leave gaping spiritual wounds, devastate enemies with a mind-crumbling howl, or lose himself in an insane frenzy of life-swallowing knife-blows.
  • SKILLS

• Wanderer of Dread Waters (Survival): A skilled hunter and fisher, Steel and Soft Paws is at peace with the red-reefed oceans around Wu Jian and its fetid underwaters of loch and lichen, a savant of sea-poisons and the predator's arts.

• Dead Knight's Graces (Socialize):  Etiquette, lies, and a discerning gaze are gifts more precious than gold or bread in Wu Jian, where the multitudes and pressures of survival highlight the worst of human nature far more frequently than its lofty best. Noble-born and made courteous in the service of things too terrible to long contemplate, Steel and Soft Paws might now be counted among the extraordinarily gifted.

• PANOPLY

• Little Sister: This curious soulsteel device is sometimes a gauntlet and sometimes a water-spider, empty of ghosts and absent a hearthstone - its back is already socketed with a beautiful pearl of Yasal crystal, caged forever by a delicate starmetal seal, which contains a single Pattern Spider stolen from the Loom as an egg. It can sever its victims from Fate with its future-killing 'bite' (a starmetal knife-fang that extends instantly from the palm) and is deadliest to such victims, destining their wounds to worsen, stumbling them into the path of Steel and Soft Paws, or raising their bodies should their cursed wounds overcome them.

• Witch: A slender courier-ship built from the wreckage of the Six-Skies Voyage and the corpse of the behemoth remembered as Voyage's End, Witch is a true ghost ship, ephemeral and untethered from almost all the world - save the soulsteel flute that masters it, within which the ghosts of Admiral Yat's harem can be seen to look out mournfully on a world forever lost. Played into the world, Witch soon arrives, along with thick fogs and placid waters. Its prow is an extravagant horror of soulsteel tentacles built to contain the ghost of Voyage's End, forever straining to reach the pale leather sails of its flayed skin, and those whose flesh bears a splinter of the vessel cannot drown within sight of either. All others should beware the waters, for Witch is always on the lookout for fresh bones to maintain its literal skeletal crew, and the touch of its second set of tentacles - spectral and animate, coiling beneath the surface - imparts some of its ephemeral nature: victims' limbs pass through water as if it were smoke, condemning them to drown and rot away until their clean bones can be taken.

• RESOURCES

• Teeth Like Rain Falling:  Steel and Soft Paws' cult, led by a pair of his were-horror spawn, focuses mostly on training in the martial arts and amassing wealth by hunting unlucky thieves and pirates. The cult spends a fair portion of this wealth on buying slum properties - as well as slaves, the cheaper and more abused the better: easy converts to fanatic devotion and the mysteries behind Steel and Soft Paws' rust and ivory doors.

• Kiara Scythefins: An enigmatic Lunar who once gutted Steel and Soft Paws and left him for dead, and once saved his life from the axe of an Abyssal rival stalking the sewers of Wu Jian. He isn't sure what she intends for him in the end, but the bite of their first encounter has never fully healed, and it carries a strange authority among pirates and certain dockmasters.

"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Re Z L

Basically done!  (Assuming this is still going strong)

Just a couple minor things on the to-do list:  flesh out abilities a bit, just adding a little more description to them but I figured listing supernal/favored would help give an idea of what she's best at.  Going to also throw in a smattering of charms to give the idea of what she can do.
A&A

Guancyto

SO.

I feel like I should make decisions on who to accept after Thanksgiving, so... let's say next Tuesday (one week) for selections, then a couple of days to build a relationship web, then away we go!

(Incidentally since it was asked and I forgot to answer AndyZ: I like Azure Grace, and to be honest having thought on it I'm a little leery of Abyssals in general just because we don't know much about them.)

AndyZ

Having just picked up and skimmed through Arms of the Chosen, I'm not 100% I like how they're doing Artifacts in 3e.  I may or may not make an attempt at translating Infinite Sky, but if Azure Grace is liked, I might just stick with her ^_^

And no worry about being leery on Abyssals ^_^ Thank you for letting me know that so I can avoid them.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Rajah

Right here guys.  :-(

So should I take a shot at a more, you know, yellow-y colored character?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Guancyto

Not necessarily yellow-y, but I would greatly appreciate something else both for the sake of being team-friendly and also letting me kick the can down the road in terms of hammering out what exactly Abyssals are. Sorry about that, should have said so sooner. (

SO. I promised more detail, like, a week ago.

Wu Jian has been conquered by the Realm long enough that only the very old remember when it was any other way. Their domination is not complete. In the poorer parts of the great City, people live if not well then at least free of the Dragon's yoke. In these teeming hives of humanity, many walled-off from more affluent districts, all manner of iniquity festers away from the prying eyes of the conquerors, and all manner of heroism shines. Ruthless ganglords and two-fisted heroes rule the night. It is, for the most part, vaguely tolerated by the respectable and well-to-do, at least as long as they keep to their side of things.

But of course it's not that simple. When the Dragon feels it has been pricked, there are so many willing to revenge the wound. Whether it's a daring master thief stealing one of the treasures of the Realm or a common laborer that ran off with a shipment of wine, the Realm pays bounty hunters a princely sum to invade the slums and enact what they would deem justice. Many of these bounty hunters come from the slums themselves, for a good enough bounty can promise a better life away from the dens of crime, and who knows the streets better than those who have run it for decades? Often the bounty far exceeds the actual value of the crime - for arrogant Dragons, it is not about justice, but about teaching a lesson.

The latest instance of this is particularly curious. One of the wealthy of Wu-Jian has put out a truly exorbitant bounty on women in the slums possessing naturally silver hair. At first it was dismissed as a trick, but when the notorious hunter and kidnapper Left-Hand Lien returned to the slums to throw around piles of newfound wealth, the poor and desperate took notice. The slums of Wu-Jian are beset by a crisis of distrust, where impromptu parties of hunters tear through their neighbors' houses in search of a silver prize that will be their ticket out of this place. Even those without silver hair travel in groups, for a party of hunters that cannot find what they seek might settle for taking possessions or slaves instead, or for settling old scores. There was always hunger. Now there is terror and blood, as an ever-fractious people turn on each other in earnest.

In such a place, perhaps it would take the chosen of the gods to end the reign of terror. Or perhaps they will be swallowed up by it too...

Into the fray, we have:

Azure Grace, played by AndyZ
Safi Chains-Kami, played by Jarick (pending sheet)
Lotus, played by Re Z L
Wei Xiaobao, played by HairyHeretic
Eyes Like Fire, played by Premier
Cathak Gabrielle, played by Shadowfox89
Rajah, who gets leeway in making a new dude because it's only fair; I decided far too late I didn't want Abyssals

Assuming some amount of natural attrition that actually makes for a pretty generous Exalt party, possibly too big but we'll see! Really if anybody wants to make a new character/aren't satisfied with the one they've got I'm down with it.

The game will go in NC: Exotic-System Small Groups, not because I plan on including that kind of content but because consent gets sort of squirrely/dubious when you get supernaturally convincing people involved and I'd rather be safe than sorry re: classifying the game.

SO! Relationship web! There's no need to directly know everyone, but everyone should have some manner of connection to or mutual acquaintance with at least one other person, whether it's that you both use the same bookie that you see every Saturnday or you happen to both be next-door neighbors to a legendary supervillain or maybe you actually know each other. Wulin style!

(Having an old Sidereal in the cast (especially a true believer in the dictates of Fate) is sort of cheating where relationship webs are concerned because they can have been anywhere doing anything so long as Fate decreed it.)

AndyZ

As per the setting (given Guancyto's okay), I'm thinking Judgment has probably killed enough evil people on both sides of the City to claim some strong enemies.  Minor villains and the line will be given commands and left alone if those commands are obeyed, such as telling a cruel slaver to free said slave if there are public beatings going on, and then leaving the slaver alive if they do it.  This warning is only good once, and she's let off a few hunters of silver-haired women that she'll execute if she sees them doing it again on their promise never to do so again, letting them spread the word of warning.

Rapists, murderers, and the like earn themselves death, as well as repeat offenders who already got a warning for something.  Judgment will carry out assassinations when possible to earn some sort of bounty, but a lot of the kills are just public service.

By contrast, Azure Grace is just a kindly urchin who begs for money and will do odd jobs when they're available.  She's one of the first people to run away whenever there's trouble (after which she goes into stealth, circles around to the other side or a better angle, and observes if the aid of a Night is needed).  She'll sometimes spread gossip and tell the stories she's heard about why Judgment killed a particular person.

I'm good with any other PC knowing that Azure Grace is Judgment provided she has a decent reason to trust that person not to reveal her secret identity, ideally with each of our characters knowing the other's Caste.  Otherwise, if someone wants to have met Azure Grace via begging and odd jobs, or knew a rival or enemy who was killed by Judgment, by all means ^_^

HairyHeretic

Wei could easily be known to anyone with criminal connections, by reputation if nothing else. He's been out of Wu Jian for a while, probably a year or two, and is recently returned.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ShadowFox89

Well, there's two ways to have a connection to Gabe;

Option 1) Somehow, you knew her back when she was a dynast or know someone connected to her (the easy one for this is her grandfather).

Option 2) More likely, you've run into her in her current business as a bounty hunter/troubleshooter/backroom spellslinger. Either one of her jobs somehow involved your character, or one of her jobs involved someone connected to you such as a contact.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AndyZ

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 29, 2017, 08:40:29 AM
Wei could easily be known to anyone with criminal connections, by reputation if nothing else. He's been out of Wu Jian for a while, probably a year or two, and is recently returned.

I remember you said something about people hunting Wei.  Perhaps Judgment was hired out to execute him, but after doing some investigation on him, she couldn't find anything about him that was worthy of death.  (Judgment also refunded the money after refusing the execution.  That's part of every assassination deal with Judgment.)  How does that sound?

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on November 29, 2017, 08:42:47 AM
Well, there's two ways to have a connection to Gabe;

Option 1) Somehow, you knew her back when she was a dynast or know someone connected to her (the easy one for this is her grandfather).

Option 2) More likely, you've run into her in her current business as a bounty hunter/troubleshooter/backroom spellslinger. Either one of her jobs somehow involved your character, or one of her jobs involved someone connected to you such as a contact.

One possible idea would be that Gabe was hired to hunt down Judgment, but Judgment has already killed one of the evil people that Gabe is hunting, and would be interested in slaying the others.  Alternatively, they might have worked on jobs together, and while it'd have taken some effort for Azure Grace to reveal her true identity, it's entirely feasible.  Or both of these ^_^ What do you think?

Premier

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 29, 2017, 08:40:29 AM

Perhaps Fire in her Eyes worked with Wei at some point to bring down two gangs that had merged? She so she can keep a balance of power where it needs to be and Wei because that'd just be bad news for them.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: AndyZ on November 29, 2017, 01:43:09 PM
I remember you said something about people hunting Wei.  Perhaps Judgment was hired out to execute him, but after doing some investigation on him, she couldn't find anything about him that was worthy of death.  (Judgment also refunded the money after refusing the execution.  That's part of every assassination deal with Judgment.)  How does that sound?

Wei's criminal activity tends to focus heavily on long cons on the rich and powerful, so an annoyed victim could easily have hired someone to quietly find and punish Wei and his gang (emphasis on the quiet, as he doesn't want notice of his being conned to get out). He prefers not to see anyone hurt or killed, if he can help it.

Would that fit with Judgement's way of doing things?

Quote from: Premier on November 29, 2017, 03:19:24 PM
Perhaps Fire in her Eyes worked with Wei at some point to bring down two gangs that had merged? She so she can keep a balance of power where it needs to be and Wei because that'd just be bad news for them.

Wei tends to be relatively hands off when it comes to other criminals ... professional courtesy and all that. He's not big on things like slavery or drugs though, and wouldn't object strongly to removing gangs that were heavily focused on those (particularly if they're being backed by powerful interests). Rather than fighting them directly though he'd probably try and arrange matters to that they fought each other to destruction, subtly aiding each side to keep a balance as they destroyed each other.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Premier

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 29, 2017, 04:31:32 PM

Wei tends to be relatively hands off when it comes to other criminals ... professional courtesy and all that. He's not big on things like slavery or drugs though, and wouldn't object strongly to removing gangs that were heavily focused on those (particularly if they're being backed by powerful interests). Rather than fighting them directly though he'd probably try and arrange matters to that they fought each other to destruction, subtly aiding each side to keep a balance as they destroyed each other.

This is more Fires speed too! She's more of a social assassin than a literal one. Though sometimes someone does need a good arrowing.

Maybe she provided contacts and a little money and Wei provided the background local knowledge that she was lacking. They made a good team! Then once the job was done she just up and disappeared as did all her previously unquestionable history in the area. Weiiiird.

HairyHeretic

Given the amount of fake identities Wei has used and discarded over the years, having someone else 'disappear' after a job is done is quite normal from his perspective.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cessali

Updated the sheet (as it were) with competencies and gifts!  I'll give it another pass to hammer out some Burning Wheel-style Intimacies later on.

For connections, two that leap out at me:

Safi would be interested in sorcerers as part of Good Practice, which means that when (as opposed to if) she gets word of Gabrielle's own activity, she will want to have had a conversation where they can suss one another out -- anything from the occasional alliance of convenience to even something as simple as a non-aggression pact.

Eyes Like Fire's connections to the gods would give her reason to know Safi, on account of Safi intending to be a major player in the spiritual underbelly of Wu Jian; Safi may be aware that Eyes exists, notionally at least, depending on how active Eyes's own meddling happens to be.