Beyond the Reach: A Star Wars Game (Actively Recruiting)

Started by RegretNot, October 28, 2017, 09:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RegretNot

Beyond the Reach : A Star Wars Game

Premise: Smugglers Run is a place that not all know about in that exists out in the Outter Rim, it is a Bastian of Free Trade and beyond the reach of the Empire.  It is made up of a large asteroid belt that is at the end of the Correlian Run, many of these asteroids being fitted inside with life support in their caverns or hollowed out.  These settled asteroids are called Skips and controlled by different smugglers, criminal elements, or even those with enough credits to make them their home, but to choose such a life it says something about your past.  It has remained unchecked for several centuries from its difficulty to get inside and its location not being passed around to anyone.  There are rumors that on Skip 39 there is plenty of work to be found and, yet something seems very off about it.  Talk over holochess and sabbac tables wonder aloud if the empire has finally found their way inside this hidden gem of lawlessness or if there is something more sinister about. 

Concepts: Characters involved in the game should be those who have come to Smuggler’s Run to call it their home or have been there for quite some time.  I am not looking for characters that are complete newbies to the life (unless you want the struggle) and have interesting backstories to enrich them.  I will not be looking for a novella but this helps create plot lines and connections to pull on in the overall game. 

System: I don’t plan on using a system for this game unless people would like to use one of the existing badly (Star Wars D6, SW D20 3.5, SW Saga, SW FFG, etc).  I would rather focus on writing and cooperative interactions and adventure than getting bogged down in rolling dice, a standard sheet with strengths, weaknesses, personality traits, etc is much easier in my experience in this medium. 

FAQ: (will update as it’s asked and answered here)

Can I have a Force Sensitive?
Yes, classically trained jedi might be a stretch but if you can reason it, pitch the idea. 

What Section Will this be Under?
This will likely be in Bondage: Exotic

What impact does the Empire have?
The Empire hasn’t reached the Run as far as people know but there are rumors of agents and the like now being talked about. 

What era is this in?
This game takes place 3 years BBY (Before Battle of Yavin).

Can I have a Canon Character?
No, I would rather we will fill in the gaps that aren’t already filled in this plus we are in a place that’s a lot more nebulous when it comes to canon. 

This is an interest check so far, if I get a few people showing interest I will start putting together the rules, the sheet, and more setting information in detail. 

Threads:

Accepted Characters
Game Information
OOC Discussion Thread
Skip 1

Carly

http://www.swcombine.com/rules/?Races&ID=48

Name: Chia
Race: Hapan

Chia is a brilliant hermaphrodite Hapan that got on the wrong side of the Queen mothers forces when she was an early teenager. Due to her gender, and the fact that males or those with male parts were deemed a subclass in her world, Chia always thought herself different and began to think good of Hapan's pirate history and soon sought to make her fortune raiding other vessles with the crafts her uncanny business knowledge aquired. This desire was discovered by the government of her home planet and resulted in her being exiled, and half of her wealth confiscated.

Still even with half of her wealth, she still had three ships, two of which were suitable to be reworked into pirate ships, the other a transport vessle.
Re-working her crafts to the suitable for pirate activities was expensive and needed a place where questions were not asked. Smugglers Run was a natural place for Chia to re-establish her fortunes and see her craft worthy of stories.

Currently Chia has reworked one of her ships, The Rua, into a pirate ship which she leases out to warlords of smugglers run. It isn't a flag ship but it is one of the more powerful vessles which garantees it being always rented by one rich enough to afford her rates. She is using the earnings from that to convert her other ship, the Aia, into something simular. Her transport ship, the Zerz, was unfortunately lost to unknown causes during a smuggling activity that went bad. None had heard from the crew and no trace of the ship was found.

Chia sometimes hires body guards when the need arises.

Skills: Business (excellent), computers (excellent), Negotiations (good), gambling(good), space ship piloting (average).
Abilities: Can speak the three most common langages fluently.
Weaknesses: No fighting skills, no skill in the force.
Strengths: Brilliant Business woman and very Wealthy. Owns two Mon Calamari Cruisers, one operational the other undergoing an overhaul. Does have a working rapport with warlords of Smugglers Run

RegretNot

Very cool idea.  The Hapes Consortium never seems to get enough love, enjoyed it big time when the EU wasn't Legends. 

Carly

RegretNot

Yes, sounds like she is building her wealth back but seems to be far from poor with a ship at her disposal and another she loans out.  I take it they are no Hapan technology is only they would likely not like that at all.  So be thinking of what kind of ship The Aia would be. 

Florence

I'm interested and, I've got a few ideas I could go with for this.

Would a human replica droid be allowed?
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

RegretNot

Human replica droids are still really a new thing in this time period, that isn't to say they aren't allowed, just keep it in mind when trying to think why and how they got to Smuggler's Run but I am not disallowing something that is around at this time no matter how rare. 

Rebelle

i'm interested as well.

I'm  looking at a smooth talking scoundrel with a good knack for slicing and mechanics, not so much on piloting.

RegretNot

I plan to make a PC or two that interacts with other characters along with NPCs I write but I am not even going to think of what I would make to play until others have put up concepts and ideas so as not to take a niche someone wants to play in the game. 

Florence

Well, my other ideas are a Mandalorian bounty hunter/mercenary, or a Miraluka (by definition force sensitive).

I had a Miraluka character I loved to play once upon a time, but she was originally a sith (and then became more of a grey jedi type), and that wouldn't quite work for this setting, so I'd have to reinvent her in a way that would.

The great thing about Mandalorians (besides everything) is that they pretty much fit into any time period.

My HRD character was originally from an rp set way after this era, so it was easier to explain her existence. I'm admittedly not sure how she would be created in this era, actually.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

RegretNot

Quote from: Florence on October 29, 2017, 01:25:47 AM
Well, my other ideas are a Mandalorian bounty hunter/mercenary, or a Miraluka (by definition force sensitive).

I had a Miraluka character I loved to play once upon a time, but she was originally a sith (and then became more of a grey jedi type), and that wouldn't quite work for this setting, so I'd have to reinvent her in a way that would.

The great thing about Mandalorians (besides everything) is that they pretty much fit into any time period.

My HRD character was originally from an rp set way after this era, so it was easier to explain her existence. I'm admittedly not sure how she would be created in this era, actually.

If you can reason any of those concepts to be on Smuggler's Run you are welcome to pitch them all sound interesting in their own ways. 

Carly

is my character accepted or did you want me to flesh anything in particular out before she is.

like strengths and weaknesses or skills or the likes

RegretNot

I am going to be working on a sheet in the next day or two, trying to gauge interest before I dove into that, but there seems to be quite a bit.  I am more hoping others with ideas see what you and the others have interest in so we don't have two mandalorian bounty hunters with dead fathers... or something like that. 

Florence

I think I'll go with my Mandalorian idea. Easiest to work in and, really, who doesn't love Mandalorians?

Carly

I added Skills, Abilities ,Weaknesses and Strengths into her bio, i hope that helps.

Orange Marmalade

So much interest when a Star Wars game come up!

Count me as interested as well :)

Carly

I was thinking that both my ships could be Mon Calamari Cruisers.
One that is being currently leased out. The other being reworked - both unavailable in the short term, but hopefully she does have money to hire
a smaller ship if she needs to - for a short time. Perhaps she has enough money to hire a destroyer or something.

Florence

Being a Mandalorian, my character's skillset obviously focuses more on the 'making people dead' aspect of things.

I'm thinking she probably has a ship, because it certainly makes life easier as a merc or a bounty hunter if you can get where you need to be on your own terms.

That said, she's probably more of a soldier than a pilot, and prefers to do business on the ground rather than in the skies.

pdragon

Looks interesting. What is the verdict on multiple characters? Because I have a pair of character concepts that I think would be good for this kind of game, though I wouldn't mind having to choose just one if it came to it.

First is a brash, arrogant
smuggler
. Very much a Solo type, down to the quippy attitude and outdated sense of terran style, though considerably more of an asshole. He has a fascination with lightsabers, having grown up in one of the few remaining pro-Jedi house holds and having been told stories of them since he was a kid. As such he collects them on the black market whenever he can, and has even built a few makeshift ones of his own (though obviously of massively inferior quality to ones actually crafted by the Jedi). He likes to show off his saber collection whenever he can, and has used them to try and pass himself off as either an escaped Jedi or an Empire agent to look more intimidating to his various contacts and rivals. Of course, having no actual force abilities his track record of using them in combat is...spotty to say the least, but he's more than willing to risk a few blaster holes if it means looking badass swinging his sward around.

Second is a female
force sensitive
, a former monk of the Guardians of the Whills (the group Donnie Yen belonged to in Rogue One) who ended up in Smuggler's Run after a force vision foretold her of the occupation and destruction of the Temple of Kyber by the Empire's hands. She adheres to a radically different interpretation of the Force than the Jedi or the Sith, refereed to as "will without borders", essentially believing that the will and guidance of the Force is something beyond mortal understanding or morality, and thus trying to apply concepts such as 'light' and 'dark' or 'good' and 'evil' to it is fundamentally misguided. The Force isn't some power source that is merely called upon or tapped into, it directs and commands literally everything that happens in the universe, and as such all events that occur, regardless of how catastrophic, are the direct will of the force, and should be accepted as such, leading to a philosophy that can be very nihilistic or tranquil depending on one's interpretation. This is sometimes refereed to as 'The Way of Gray' due to being in some ways "between" the light and dark sides of the force, though it's too much of a simplification to be wholly accurate.

Within Smuggler's Row she works a variety of odd jobs, with a fairly heavy slant towards mercenary and even bounty hunting work. Due to the more "loose" ethics of her philosophy she has no qualms about doing most kinds of work, or utilizing the full range of abilities available to force users, and because of this she is pretty well sought after. While not as highly trained as a proper Jedi or Sith her command over the force is impressive enough by most standards, and she wields a blade forged from light saber resistant metal, which would allow her to feasibly fight said force users if the need should ever arise. While she is not actually blind she wears a blindfold most of the time, as she believes cutting off her sense of sight brings her closer to the Force and allows it to more directly guide her actions.
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Kadigan

I have a female Chiss pilot I'd love to find a home for.

RegretNot

I like all the interest, I will be working on a character sheet to be put up tomorrow.  I don't see any concepts I would disallow from just looking at them and if you think you can handle more than one character I wouldn't have a problem with someone having two. 

Yoda

“Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.”
“Do. Or do not. There is no try.”

Juggtacular

I'm thinking of a Mando or Kiffar(raised Mando probably because like Tokyo said they're awesome) Force User who was raised by one of the Jedi who escaped Order 66, but with no Jedi Order around, they used their skills and powers to survive and stay one step ahead of the Empire. Eventually they ended up on Smuggler's Run and decided to make a go of it there.

Florence

I had an idea that my Mandalorian might have a kid. Probably adopted, though Mandalorians generally don't make a distinction between adoption or blood relation. As far as Mandalorians are concerned, your parents are whoever raised you.

Of course, that's only if that's allowed. As far as site rules go, it's my understanding that underage characters are allowed to be present in RPs, so long as they're kept away from sexual content. (And also you can't use any pictures of kids, so no character art or faceclaims for them.)

Doomblade403xxx

Name:  Zebrin
Race: Nightbrother {Zabrak from Dathomir}

Zebrin spent the better part of his life as a laborer on his home planet of Dathomir. On Dathomir the power of the dark side is very potent and the Sith Witches wield their power with an iron fist.

At nineteen he was traded to a group of pirate raiders as slave labor aboard their ship. It was then he learned he had talents with machines and computers. When a cleaning bot went down in front of him in a corridor he just broke it down and fixed it. It took him several hours and the pirates delighted in taking bets on the Zabrak's success. Hundreds of credits were lost that day when he not only succeeded but improved the droids performance.

This earned him a crew position in engineering where he not only learned the complexities of engines and machines. He seemed to excel at jobs many found difficult or time consuming and he always finished ahead of schedule and with parts to spare. When he found an old Federation Battle droid on board the ship he spent a week repairing it in his spare time. When he was finished he had a combat companion that he called Z-Bot, and with concentration he could manipulate and control his battle droid to do things it was never designed to do. Move fast, jump farther, shoot straighter, than any droid of his type.

An old datapad was his next project. He didn't know how to fix it or why the discarded and outdated computer needed fixed, he just did it. Something about that datapad called to him, and he answered. His spare time was spent delving into the computerized secrets the ship held. Within a month there was no secrets. He sliced into doors, journals, activated dormant cams to catch his shipmates in compromising positions.

The captain saw him as dangerous. Not because of the skills he came to possess, but because it seemingly took no training in order to acquire them. He was summarily booted from the ship in Smuggler's Run. Since then his reputation has grown as a man who can fix anything, and makes a decent living doing just that.

Years of physical labor have made him a large and intimidating man, but he has never been formally trained in combat. At best he is an unprincipled brawler who's punch would hurt if it landed. He does carry a blaster in a cross draw holster but it's mostly a deterrent and decoration.

{He is force sensitive and he seems to instinctively know how to fix things, and how to operate computers. He is 'simple' when it comes to people. He is very far flung from normal interaction skills and seems both awkward and shy around people. Give him a computer or an engine and he will 'interact' for hours with it. He can fight through Z-Bot quite effectively. In game terms he would be a force adept who channels the force through his mechanical devices. He cannot do this out of hand however. He has to repair or commune with the device before he can channel through it. }