News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Line breaks

Started by Naiah, August 14, 2020, 12:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naiah

Is there any reason that line breaks arent working for me?
Like in this post I pressed enter twice to get 2 lines down, but when posted it shows up right under the above sentence, whyyy?? It happens whether I use quick reply or post reply and in messages too.
How can I keep the extra line break in there? Please dont tell me its a code I have to use :(

Amaris

Hmm...

That's odd, lemmee see if it's happening with me.

Are you using a phone or PC? Not that I'm sure it will matter, but will help with my googling

Naiah

Laptop on firefox

Its annoying as it doesnt always happen, but I cant seem to figure out when it does/doesnt do it so I can avoid it, you know?

Naiah

See!? This one went through fine! Gah

Amaris

That's odd. I'll try to do some googling which I'm sure you've tried as well, but I can definitely see how that would be frustrating!

Naiah

Uh no.. I kinda thought it was an E thing as it doesnt happen anywhere else  :-[

Beguile's Mistress

I know that if I type in a word document and copy and paste I don't always get the extra space I type between paragraphs but if I type in the post box - like this - I don't have a problem.

Try hitting Preview before you post if you have the time to do that.  It won't solve the initial problem but it will give you an idea of what you are going to post so you can fix it.

Naiah

I only type into the box, never c/p.
I have started doing the preview as it drove me nuts seeing my messages cramped up when I got a response. I then have to like press enter 3 times, just to get that extra line.

Naiah

See! I did it then and no extra line, but it worked a post ago, what the heeeck??

Amaris

Do you have anything like grammarly or any add ons like that which might be interfering?

Naiah

I have an adblocker, thats it. No grammarly

Vekseid

If you're using the WYSIWYG editor it is unfortunately old and broken in many ways. : / Once we upgrade it won't be an issue any longer, but still have some things to finish before then.

Naiah

Fair enough! Many thanks for the quick response! <3

Vekseid

You can switch away from it in your preferences, if you haven't already. >_>

Elina

Great, Veks, now I have to go Google wtf a WYSIWYG editor is. Enquiring minds want to know!

;) ;D :-*

Lexandria

Quote from: Elina on August 15, 2020, 09:31:58 AM
Great, Veks, now I have to go Google wtf a WYSIWYG editor is. Enquiring minds want to know!

;) ;D :-*

What You See Is What You Get = WYSIWYG

My design teacher in college told us never to trust a WYSIWYG editor as all iterations were notoriously buggy. So far I've found him to be right in all circumstances.

Elina

Thanks, Lexandria! I did go look it up. I'm old and not even a little techie, so I didn't know what it means. Don't even know why I got curious enough to google it.

Naiah

And what will it do if I do? Will it take away all those handy boxes like Italics, Bold and so on? Cause they are MIIINE!

Oniya

The clicky-tabs will still be there, but instead of seeing your italics like this,

You'll see them like [i]this[/i].
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

clonkertink

I didn't even realize there was a WYSIWYG editor on E for ages. I just assumed all of it was code. >.>

And by the time I did find out, I was too accustomed to the coding tags to switch back.

Oniya

Back in 'the day', when I was using an obscure word processor on the Apple ][+  (Not the //e ;D), things like bold and italics were denoted by different backgrounds to the text.  Luckily, there was a feature called 'Reveal Codes', that put it into a more easily interpreted display.  By the time I was dealing with 'the real WWW', I actually found basic HTML fairly intuitive.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Elina

Quote from: Oniya on August 15, 2020, 03:43:23 PM
The clicky-tabs will still be there, but instead of seeing your italics like this,

You'll see them like [i]this[/i].

Oh! Now, I totally understand the difference! Thank you for this, Oniya. I see them the second way and didn't even know the first way was an option.

Oniya

Over at the far end of the second row of buttons, there's one that looks like an arrow between two red brackets.  That toggles WYSIWYG on and off.

Elina