Can't reach Elliquiy.com - tracert shows dead spot?

Started by Top Cat, March 18, 2013, 07:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Top Cat

Stella Maris and I have been having trouble connecting to Elliquiy tonight - but only from our home connection. If we use our cell phones (using the phone system network, rather than our WiFi network), or connect from work, there's no problem.

Running a TRACERT, I came up with two paths, and both appeared to fail when connecting to the network before Elliquiy:

C:\Users\Me>tracert elliquiy.com

Tracing route to elliquiy.com [174.34.157.162]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  netblock-208-127-83-1.dslextreme.com [208.127.83
.1]
  3     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  lax1_cr1_4_1.dslextreme.com [66.218.42.225]
  4     7 ms     7 ms     6 ms  66.186.192.181
  5     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  66.186.192.62
  6    32 ms     7 ms     7 ms  mpr1.lax2.us.above.net [206.223.123.71]
  7    21 ms     8 ms     8 ms  xe-2-2-0.cr2.lax112.us.above.net [64.125.31.194]

8    19 ms    19 ms    18 ms  xe-2-1-0.cr2.sjc2.us.above.net [64.125.26.30]
  9    73 ms    70 ms    71 ms  xe-4-0-0.cr2.ord2.us.above.net [64.125.22.34]
10    70 ms    70 ms    70 ms  xe-0-1-0.er2.ord7.us.above.net [64.125.30.145]
11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
12     *        *        *     Request timed out.

~ ~ ~

Tracing route to elliquiy.com [174.34.157.162]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  netblock-208-127-83-1.dslextreme.com [208.127.83
.1]
  3     6 ms     6 ms     7 ms  lax1_cr1_4_1.dslextreme.com [66.218.42.225]
  4     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  66.186.192.181
  5     9 ms    11 ms    11 ms  any2ix.coresite.com [206.223.143.150]
  6     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  ae1-80g.cr1.lax1.us.nlayer.net [69.31.127.129]
  7    69 ms    57 ms    57 ms  xe-2-2-1.cr2.ord1.us.nlayer.net [69.22.142.255]

8    62 ms    61 ms    60 ms  ae2-30g.ar1.ord1.us.nlayer.net [69.31.111.138]
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
10     *        *        *     Request timed out.

(Snipped both logs after two timeouts, because it was just 20 more timeouts after that)

Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this, other than using proxy servers?
O/O / Story Seeds
Current posting speed: Slow to moderate. Most threads should get a response within 24 hours, with occasional dips as RL makes demands.
If I am more than a week behind on a story post, please feel free to PM me about it.
I am present in Elliquiy's Discord channel. If you want to chat about a story idea, feel free to DM me there.

Vekseid

Neither path looks like it's getting to within a hop of our host's edge router.

If this is still going on I could alert my host and they could talk to above.net and nlayer, however, that magnitude of route instability probably already has attention.

Top Cat

It's been like this for at least 10 hours now, since 8 AM this morning. I wouldn't have even bothered mentioning it if it was just a recent development. At first, I thought it was a problem here, within our home network, until I started doing Tracerts.
O/O / Story Seeds
Current posting speed: Slow to moderate. Most threads should get a response within 24 hours, with occasional dips as RL makes demands.
If I am more than a week behind on a story post, please feel free to PM me about it.
I am present in Elliquiy's Discord channel. If you want to chat about a story idea, feel free to DM me there.

Top Cat

Doing some more investigating, it looks like it's choking in (or leaving) Chicago - that's what the ORD in the last few IP hops represents (ORD=O'Hare).
O/O / Story Seeds

Top Cat

24 hours after the start of the outage, and we're still down. It's really bizarre that we can get there just fine from work, which is only two miles away from here, but not from home. That must be a difference in service provider causing different pathing... but if there's a blockage, we should be rerouting around it, right?

This is frustrating. I don't know enough about networking and the Internet to really help troubleshoot this, but I need to be involved, since I'm the one affected...

Gah. =>_<=
O/O / Story Seeds

Vekseid

Could you pm me traceroutes from your workplace?

And my host decided to royally bork their support system, so may be a bit -_-

Top Cat

For comparison's sake, here's what I'm seeing from work:

Edit: Snipped to send via PM.

It seems that the problem is probably in transitioning from the above.net and nlayer.net backbone to ubiquityservers.com's router. Which end it's on isn't something I'm qualified to guess at.
O/O / Story Seeds

Top Cat

Still down as of 8 AM this morning. Is it possible that our IP has somehow become blacklisted on the ubiquityserver.com's router? I'm guessing that we're the only people having the problem at the moment; if it was a broad outage, it would have been fixed by now, and the traffic slowdown would have been noticeable.
O/O / Story Seeds

Top Cat

Daily update: Still nothing. I'm at a loss here.
O/O / Story Seeds

Top Cat

Back home, and the problem seems to now be resolved. Thank you for any and all efforts on our behalf! =^_^=
O/O / Story Seeds