News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

rude 'n' ridiculous rants + polite but painfully-slow prattle with passers-by

Started by rick957, June 23, 2012, 08:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick957

uUM, OH

UHM

uhm, oh, my

It's 110 A.M. Eastern, and I'm gone, baby gone, and Paul McCartney is still playing, and I'm just ...

"Live and Let Die"

What?  oh man.  Such stupidity and bliss, all mixed together.

Alright, so anyway, I'll have at least one more post tonight after this is all over, replying to everything else that I didn't reply to.  First I'm gonna finish watching the rest of the show and have another shot er or te too two.
;)

Rock on, Silver and Ryu and anybody else who sees any o f this, I'm a bit intoxicated but have had a blast and thank you for your contribution, whether it was your fingers on the keyboard or just yer eyeballs on the screen, thanks ya'll!!! this was fun! 

Back in a sec

Silver

Alicia Keys to finish

Of course she would sing that sing to finish.. Ugh bloody over played song.. I swear

Alright... off this goes now...
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

rick957

Is anyone else watching this?

Oh hell Silver aint' happy, sorry

fuck

what is this?

rick957

Here I sir, coming slowly down from a nice warm DRUNK, listening to a Red Hot Chili Peppers mix I made forever ago.  John Fruscianti is among my personal favorite guitarists and should be among yours too, if you love the instrument and its potential in the popular musical form known as rock and roll, especially as that potential was realized within the previous two decades.

Let's see, I'm going go read all the comments from tonight that I didn't already reply to, and catch up on that.  First though, I'm gonna share some shocking and unexpected comments about the 121212 charity concert broadcast.

NO qwait.  Even bfore that, I'm gonna get so drunk and sick from being drunk that I"m gonna regurgitate alcohol.  How effing embarrassing and juvenile.  This is what happens when you drink liquor instead of beer or wine.  Suddenly you get sick from too much alcohol when you didn't expect that you had had that much.  How embarrassing.  I just spat up excess alcohol into my toilet.  Sexy, huh?  Yeah.  ;)

mmMkay, notw now I'm gonna relax and eat and crash and come back tomorrow and respond an dap and apologize and whatever else I gotta do.  By Bye now rock on you readers you.  Signin' out, your frei friendly neighborhood Elliquian drunk blogger Rick.  Peace out yall hy
h

l
ya'lllllllllllll

rick957

What the?

Too much.  Too.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

552 AM 121213 121312

Kythia

Quote from: rick957 on December 12, 2012, 08:18:47 PM
Hope Kythia is out there somewhere seeing the Bon Jovi stuff. 

I'm here, fear ye not.  Been asleep for like two days but awake now.

NiceTexasGuy

What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

ManyMindsManyVoices

"So, during the whole live-blog thing, I mentioned my blog. So here it is, since you seem genuinely interested in my take on things rick. Feel free to reply to anything I said there on here, since this is a forum and seems a better place for discussion. I definitely doubt my recent entry will leave me popular with anyone who does bother to read it, but I think it needs to be said."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

rick957

How cool is that?  :)  I haven't read it yet but will do so and will share my thoughts afterwards.

I don't know what to make of that "bump" up there -- thanks, NiceTexasGuy!  I guess?  :)  That was a mistake or something, right?  Oh well, no harm done.

I'm gonna write up some final remarks about the 121212 concert, which really was fun; and reply to the other comments from that day; and also do other replies and etc. etc., but at my usual slow pace.  I've got two RP replies that are also pending, so those take precedence over bloggery.  Now that I'm RPing more, the blog will probably have less content, which is fine.

Oh, man.  First thing I saw today on my computer was the headline about Connecticut.  ... .

Myrina

Different, surprising, bizarre, sweet but can sometimes leave a sour aftertaste is how I would describe your blog. I tried to read from the beginning but I think that would be asking too much of anyone but considering you started it months ago; I don't feel too bad about it.

Where to start...(BTW I really hope you do not get offended with my ignorance of all of your beliefs since I can only claim reading parts of it. So I fully expect you to point them out to me).

I'm surprised because your topic of choice is rarely the most popular subject (as least when discussing it in positive light to the general public), which is probably why you chose to discuss it, correct? Or are you a modern day missionary in disguise?

I do want to point out early on that I do agree with most of your points.

There, I hope now that we can be friends :)

Now to the can of worms you mischievously opened...

I, like you rarely broach this subject with others. In fact, the only reason I am doing it now is because the general strings attached to public conversation does not usually apply to this setting.

Why is this subject so taboo anyway? Why is offense taken by other people’s beliefs? Will my belief in God, the way I believe it cause a lightening bolt to strike you from the sky? Will it permanently cause your ears (or in this case, eyes) blister from its modern day blasphemy? This, of course, does not need to be only associated with religion but lifestyle, sexuality choices as well. Let us not forget who is the only true Judge. As Ryuka Tana pointed out, “I think we ought to be respecting” and not just tolerating. Firstly, because of the reason I just pointed out and secondly, because you would want others to treat you with that same respect.

Like you I am not here to push my beliefs on anyone. I am just here to share and to partake of many other ideas and thoughts floating around. And trust me when I say I am not here to convert anyone.

The one thing I don’t know if you realize is that most Christians feel the same exact way you do. They just pretend and wear a mask but inside they are asking the same questions, they are stating the same things and they are also jumping up and down swearing at the top of their lungs.

From the beginning of your posts you mentioned that God is fair and good. I believe that wholeheartedly, but along with that I also believe that God’s idea of fair and good can be completely different then ours. There is just too much we do not know anything about. The best course to take is to take care of our own faith and stop trying to find the answers to everything. Faith is not about finding answers at all.

You say you choose Christ, that you need him. Well, Christ needs us too. God needs us otherwise why would He have created us? And as long as that thought is in your head you have all the tools you need to become his “Good and Faithful Servant” without having to resort to petty tricks to demonstrate your faith.

In my eyes, being a good Christian does not mean going to church every Sunday, keeping up appearances, have a clean slate of skin and promising not to swear. It goes a lot deeper as I’m sure you know. What are your first instincts? Are they good or bad? Do you want to help that poor guy with the broken car on the side of the street or is your first instinct to hit the gas and not look back. And even if it is the latter, what do you CHOOSE to do? It is the small things that demonstrate that you are a true Christian inside and not just a follower.

Sorry for my ramblings, but I thought it was fitting considering the nature of your blog…

Myrina

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Myrina on December 17, 2012, 01:55:11 AM
As Ryuka Tana pointed out, “I think we ought to be respecting” and not just tolerating...

"Mind you, I don't remember the context, but when I say that, I bet I mean something different than it sounds like I mean. Thing is, I don't think everyone deserves respect, especially not for their beliefs. I respect rick because I think he acts in a way that may even be contrary to his beliefs, and he remains open-minded. I will not tolerate or respect bigotry of any kind in the name of God (or anyone/anything else). I actively believe all people who truly believe in such bigotry, do not deserve the lives they have. I don't believe it would be immoral to take said lives from said people, because I have no value for their lives, and as people, they generally bring more negative value to the world than positive."

"I just want to make it clear, as I don't want to be quoted for something I said, if you don't actively agree with the intent behind it. You should know why I used the words I did."

"As for the rest of it, I disrespect Christians often because I don't think most of them are like rick at all. I think they have a little fear and doubt, but I have no reason to believe their not so ignorant that they do this intelligently. I think rick's faith is blind as well, but it doesn't hurt anyone, he won't let it if he can help it. I think he's a pretty terrible Christian, in the traditional sense. I think he's only a Christian by technicality. That is, he worships God and believes that Jesus is the savior and messiah. He doesn't believe a great deal of the other tenets of the religion, and I don't think he puts much stock in the Bible (or he picks and chooses which parts he agrees with, which is fine, because that means he's actually just choosing to live his life the way he thinks is best)."

"These are all compliments, whether he (you, rick) feels they are, at all."

Quote from: Myrina on December 17, 2012, 01:55:11 AM
From the beginning of your posts you mentioned that God is fair and good. I believe that wholeheartedly, but along with that I also believe that God’s idea of fair and good can be completely different then ours. There is just too much we do not know anything about. The best course to take is to take care of our own faith and stop trying to find the answers to everything. Faith is not about finding answers at all.

"Faith isn't about finding answers, that alone tells me faith's a crock. What the hell, right? At this point, I'm the candid asshole, I might as well just say it. I'm not trying to start a debate or discussion here, I can't only be so candid before I really start being the asshole, and I don't need that grief. This is one of those places, however, where my discussion of non-tolerance comes in..."

NiceTexasGuy

Quote from: rick957 on December 14, 2012, 08:57:50 PM
I don't know what to make of that "bump" up there -- thanks, NiceTexasGuy!  I guess?  :)  That was a mistake or something, right?  Oh well, no harm done.

Well, you mentioned "prattle with passers-by" and I was just passin' by.  Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure something nice and unexpected came of it.  Funny how things like that work.

Anyhow, carry on, and thanks.
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

rick957

"Whoever said 'Honesty is the best policy' was a big fat liar." -- Me

Hiya peeps.  I've been avoiding posting to this blog at the moment, for reasons I may or may not explain soon, but tonight I just felt like posting anyway, so here I am.

@ NiceTexasGuy

Well I'll be damned, you sure have an appropriate screen name, Mister.  ;)  The "Nice" part I mean; I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you hail from Texas and are indeed male.  hehehehe  Anyways thanks for the bump and the explanation for the bump, and for contributing to the overall prattle herein; and if you feel like explaining the tantalizing hint you gave about how things worked out well after your bump, I'd love to know what you were referring to, but only if you feel explaining, of course.  :)  Either way, thanks for spreading your niceness to this here blog.

Kythia

Quote from: rick957 on December 18, 2012, 03:34:05 AM
"Whoever said 'Honesty is the best policy' was a big fat liar." -- Me

Either Sir Edwyn Sandys or Arcibishop Whately (there's some debate), should you care.

Whateley's quote is actually kinda cool: 
QuoteHonesty is the best policy; but he who is governed by the maxim is not an honest man

Myrina

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 17, 2012, 02:21:48 AM
"Mind you, I don't remember the context, but when I say that, I bet I mean something different than it sounds like I mean.

This is the quote I used...
Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 09, 2012, 03:49:52 AM
"I say this as a bisexual, anarchistic, agnostic polygamist: I am so over tolerance. I just am... I think it's mostly because we 'tolerate' gay people, and black people, and people of other religions. Personally, I think we ought to be respecting gay people (and straight up putting .44 calibers in the faces of everyone who doesn't), accepting the differences between any two races (and not pretending they don't exist in any way), and honestly, the things I'd do to religious people varies pretty greatly, but tolerance is not something I'd put on that list. I respect true Buddhists, and if you're Christian (like you are rick) and capable of being reasonably open-minded and not pushing your religion where it doesn't belong (like you rick), than good for you. However, I don't think I should tolerate Christians just because they aren't evangelists, because pretending that a lot of bullshit doesn't happen in the name of religion is beyond stupid."

Many apologies to you Ryuka. You are absolutely right and I should know better than to quote someone without showing the context to which it was written.

When I was still awaiting my approval to join Elliguiy I stubbled upon Rick's blog and just got absorbed into the stimulating posts. I took this quote from around the time Rick was upset at some guy who got booted off Elliguiy. Again, I apologize if I had used it out of context. Reading it again helped me see that you probably meant that people's beliefs either deserved to be respected or not at all and that tolerance should not even be an option. Do I understand you correctly? If so I admire your refusal to be politically correct. Also, if that was your true meaning then indeed I quoted you wrong. What shall it be, the rack or the strap?

So instead I will quote myself. I do not believe that tolerance is enough. Tolerance means your just being polite. You are pretty much saying, "well, I have to live in the same world as you and since I can't get rid of you I might as well deal with it". To me tolerance is that person who sneers at others but is afraid say a word against them.  To me, tolerance is cowardice. If you don't agree with someone, then by all means voice it and stand by the values you've chosen to follow and be careful not to fall into the trap of bigotry that you have at length expressed your abhorrence. Now when I say that we need to respect other people’s beliefs, what I mean is that we need to respect the fact that they have the right to believe what they want to believe. And regardless of how you or I would view and/or react to their choices, they do not do it for our happiness, but for their own.

How did I come to this observation about respect? Let's just say that the Discovery Channel rocks. I was watching a documentary on nuns. There was one in particular that really stuck with me. She did not wear the usual garb and she was known as being a sort of "field nun". She worked directly with people in need. A lot of them were gay, transvestite prostitutes that were high on drugs at least 90% of the day. But here was this Catholic nun who treated these people with love and respect. She provided them with food, water, shelter, warm clothing, and most of all she provided her love. Did she know and understand that their choices in life were wrong according to the teachings of the Bible? Absolutely. But what I and probably this spectacular nun believes is that to love one another completely trumps all of the other teachings of the Bible. And if anyone were to choose to accept anything from that book, I hope they would chose that one in particular regardless of their opposition to its other teachings.

I will not tolerate or respect bigotry of any kind in the name of God (or anyone/anything else). I actively believe all people who truly believe in such bigotry, do not deserve the lives they have. I don't believe it would be immoral to take said lives from said people, because I have no value for their lives, and as people, they generally bring more negative value to the world than positive.

Now, do I have the same desire to completely wipe out certain ingrates from the face of the earth? Absolutely. However, I can see bigotry to be the least of my worries. Honestly, in a world of child molesters and rapists, why would bigots even be on my list? But I do agree that life on earth would be a lot more harmonious without them. As for those who claim to be bigots in the name of God, it is my opinion that they are in fact Godless.

Thing is, I don't think everyone deserves respect, especially not for their beliefs. I respect rick because I think he acts in a way that may even be contrary to his beliefs, and he remains open-minded.

I also see open-mindedness as a respectable trait and I applaud you Rick for obtaining this trait. However, I do not think that he (Rick) is entirely happy with acting contrary to his beliefs. And Rick please step in and let me know if I am completely wrong when I say this. I would think anyone who has chosen to believe in something would be a little upset with themselves for acting contrary to said belief. Its like someone deciding to completely eliminate meat from their diet because they are against the way the animals were treated, but then goes out and grab a cheeseburger from McDonald’s later that day. That person would feel guilty (I would think) every time they take a bite. We are all human here and we make our own decisions. And every one of us has made choices that make us feel disappointment at ourselves. Choices that go against what we believe. I know I have.

"I just want to make it clear, as I don't want to be quoted for something I said, if you don't actively agree with the intent behind it. You should know why I used the words I did."

Again, many apologies. Maybe if/when you have some time you could explain your quote better to me and I will try to clean up the mess I made of it.

"As for the rest of it, I disrespect Christians often because I don't think most of them are like rick at all. I think they have a little fear and doubt, but I have no reason to believe their not so ignorant that they do this intelligently. I think rick's faith is blind as well, but it doesn't hurt anyone, he won't let it if he can help it. I think he's a pretty terrible Christian, in the traditional sense. I think he's only a Christian by technicality. That is, he worships God and believes that Jesus is the savior and messiah. He doesn't believe a great deal of the other tenets of the religion, and I don't think he puts much stock in the Bible (or he picks and chooses which parts he agrees with, which is fine, because that means he's actually just choosing to live his life the way he thinks is best)."

You have every right to agree, disagree, love, hate any idea, religion, etc. as you see fit, Ryuka. And I can completely understand why you dislike so many Christians. We have not given a good name for ourselves. Christians are sly, backstabbing, greedy, slanderous and mean-spirited, but you can also say that about the general population, all religions aside. Are Christians pushy? Absolutely. Its no wonder that we are the largest religion in the world. So yes, Christians are very annoying (and I'm sorry if I'm giving you a prime example :-))

As for Rick and his beliefs, I'll let him expand more on that himself.

"Faith isn't about finding answers, that alone tells me faith's a crock. What the hell, right? At this point, I'm the candid asshole, I might as well just say it. I'm not trying to start a debate or discussion here, I can't only be so candid before I really start being the asshole, and I don't need that grief. This is one of those places, however, where my discussion of non-tolerance comes in..."

*Thoroughly checking the thickness of skin*
Don't worry about the thickness of my skin, I can take it so be a gruff as you like. As for discussions, I enjoy them, but you do not I'll will drop the subject and won't bother you again. I still believe that having faith is not about seeking answers. It's about acceptance. Its about giving up everything for an idea, a belief. But the funny thing about it, is that only through faith will you receive answers. Again, these are all the thoughts that belong to my mind processes. 
Myrina

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Myrina on December 19, 2012, 03:30:04 AM
Now, do I have the same desire to completely wipe out certain ingrates from the face of the earth? Absolutely. However, I can see bigotry to be the least of my worries. Honestly, in a world of child molesters and rapists, why would bigots even be on my list? But I do agree that life on earth would be a lot more harmonious without them. As for those who claim to be bigots in the name of God, it is my opinion that they are in fact Godless.

"If that thought process were applicable, then I guess we shouldn't hate terrorists, because Nazis existed and they were way worse, or vice versa if you think terrorists are worse. That rapists exist, does not make bigots any better... If you asked if I could get rid of all rapists or all bigots, I'd get rid of all bigots, no question. Rapists don't make up nearly as much of the population, they don't generally have nearly the effect on social issues."

"There's a violent, angry social stigma around rape, but bigotry is allowed to go unquestioned far too often. People rationalize and excuse it all the time. I'd still eliminate rapists if that was an option, I just refuse to excuse bigotry or pretend it isn't a major issue, far greater than many more 'evil' crimes."

I also see open-mindedness as a respectable trait and I applaud you Rick for obtaining this trait. However, I do not think that he (Rick) is entirely happy with acting contrary to his beliefs...

"I was unclear there, I should have said that I think that rick commonly acts contrary to the beliefs of his supposed religion. That's more how I feel about it, and maybe he does agonize over it, but I think that's stupid. Believing in God and Christ does not insist upon believing in the Bible."

You have every right to agree, disagree, love, hate any idea, religion, etc. as you see fit, Ryuka. And I can completely understand why you dislike so many Christians. We have not given a good name for ourselves. Christians are sly, backstabbing, greedy, slanderous and mean-spirited, but you can also say that about the general population, all religions aside...

"I would say exactly that about the general population. However, I'd say, given how rampant the religion is, Christianity is a big part of that (whether the religion itself is the reason or the religion draws people like that in or some other correlation altogether)."

*Thoroughly checking the thickness of skin*
Don't worry about the thickness of my skin, I can take it so be a gruff as you like. As for discussions, I enjoy them, but you do not I'll will drop the subject and won't bother you again. I still believe that having faith is not about seeking answers. It's about acceptance. Its about giving up everything for an idea, a belief. But the funny thing about it, is that only through faith will you receive answers...

"We can discuss all day, here or elsewhere if rick would prefer. I will be 'gruff' if I feel that's what the conversation calls for, but I'm happy to talk and listen if you're willing to do the same. As for answers, I don't need 'faith' for those, I have plenty of doubts and uncertainty. That's okay with me, though, I don't need to be sure."

rick957

@ Kythia -- thanks for the reference, although I have to wonder how on earth you came to know such a thing.  :)  Have you been cheating and Googling?  Well I guess that isn't really "cheating."  But if you knew those names off the top of your head, then I'd really be impressed.  Also a little scared of you.  ;)

The oddest thing about your post is that it seemed like something Oniya should have posted instead of you.  She of the encyclopedic random insights and trivia.  :)  I'll bet she knew those names too and just didn't feel like speaking up.  hehehe I'm just being silly ...

@ Myrina and Ryu

It's a real pleasure to see the two of you discussing such incredibly serious and abstract and heady topics, and doing it here of all places; I'm honored at the sheer brain power on display.  You're both raising the level of discourse in this blog to heights I'll have a hard time maintaining.  But that's a nice problem to have!  (Of course I trust everyone who posts here to keep things civil and friendly, even if the subjects being discussed are contentious ones.  I try to direct my rants at things or people who aren't any of the nice folks here at Elliquiy.  Well, most of the time, at least ...!)

Meanwhile I'm falling farther and farther behind on replies and other things I meant to post a while ago and keep putting off.  This time it's not entirely due to laziness and procrastination ... not exclusively at least.  I'm waiting to figure out some logistical stuff about this blog, and until that's all worked out -- talking it over with someone else too -- I feel I should hold off on my usual tirades; although I don't see any reason why others can't keep chatting or commenting if they like, and rest assured I'm reading closely, and I'll be eager to put in my two cents later on.  :)  In short, carry on.

And man, I feel awful about the handful of posts I still haven't replied to from forever ago, but believe it or not, I still plan to catch up soon.  Procrastination is in my blood, I'm afraid; but I trust no one out there is losing any sleep over it.  Heck, I don't even lose sleep over it, even if I do feel kinda guilty.  You know?  This is all for fun, after all, right?  Not to make excuses though, I do feel grateful for each comment and look forward to replying to each one ... even if it takes months!  Years!  Okay maybe not years.  :)  *scampers off, tail betwixt legs*

Myrina

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 19, 2012, 04:00:28 AM
"If that thought process were applicable, then I guess we shouldn't hate terrorists, because Nazis existed and they were way worse, or vice versa if you think terrorists are worse. That rapists exist, does not make bigots any better... If you asked if I could get rid of all rapists or all bigots, I'd get rid of all bigots, no question. Rapists don't make up nearly as much of the population, they don't generally have nearly the effect on social issues."

I was waiting for that Hitler card to drop and now let’s see how well I stack up. I know that I have a good chance of losing, but here goes.

Adolf Hitler, one of the worse bigots in history. But how did he become that way? He wasn’t always consumed in unrighteous hate. Why does this matter? Because we need to understand how bigots are created in order to prevent it.

I guess that was my little intro, but let’s get to the heart of the matter. What it all boils down to is tolerance. Did Hitler ever physically kill a Jew, a Negro, or any other person he saw as imperfect? No, instead he had others do it for him. It was an entire country that tolerated his madness and his inhumanity and allowed him to continue. They were cowards. The same goes for those “organized” terrorists. You think that a lot of them actually want to kill innocent people? Many are just angry at their circumstances in life. They want a scapegoat for their problems, just like the Nazi’s did. So they follow along and participate in crimes against humanity. The only time that bigots gain power over people is when people give them that power.

And so, the source of society’s problem is tolerance and not bigotry (again, my opinion). Our society is crumbling because we tolerate a person being beaten and even murdered right out in the open. We just drive by car accidents on the side of the road and completely ignore the person waving for help. We just shrug our shoulders and say it’s not our problem. To me, Tolerance is the root of that rotting tooth called Bigotry.

Believing in God and Christ does not insist upon believing in the Bible."

I will have to disagree about the statement above. How can anyone believe in Christ if he/she does not believe in the Bible? How would you even know and understand His teachings if you don’t believe in the words that He said? I know that there are many parts of the Bible (mainly in the Old Testament) that no longer applies, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it was not true at one point. But since you do not believe in the Bible at all I will not linger on this subject.

"I would say exactly that about the general population. However, I'd say, given how rampant the religion is, Christianity is a big part of that (whether the religion itself is the reason or the religion draws people like that in or some other correlation altogether)."

I can see your point here and this really explains why I usually stay away from organized religion. I feel that the only thing you need is prayer and the Bible. Every human sins and no matter how good our intentions are, we fall into traps repeatedly and that is why I find it difficult to commit myself to any particular church with an established leadership. I grew up in a very “organized” church. You couldn’t sneeze without someone wondering where you caught your cold. If you missed a day of church they would be in your face wondering why you weren’t there. If you did not partake of the communion, they gossip concerning what sin you have committed. And instead of praying straight to God for forgiveness, you have to go through some fat bishop (that was probably screwing his secretary) to confess your sins. It is for these reasons and more that I usually abstain from joining a particular church.

"We can discuss all day, here or elsewhere if rick would prefer. I will be 'gruff' if I feel that's what the conversation calls for, but I'm happy to talk and listen if you're willing to do the same. As for answers, I don't need 'faith' for those, I have plenty of doubts and uncertainty. That's okay with me, though, I don't need to be sure."

I too am more than happy to talk and listen. This blog gets my brain working again and it’s very enjoyable. I thank you for actually reading what I have to say and you are very kind to respond to my prattle.
Myrina

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Myrina on December 19, 2012, 10:49:37 PM
I was waiting for that Hitler card to drop and now let’s see how well I stack up. I know that I have a good chance of losing, but here goes.

Adolf Hitler, one of the worse bigots in history. But how did he become that way? He wasn’t always consumed in unrighteous hate. Why does this matter? Because we need to understand how bigots are created in order to prevent it.

I guess that was my little intro, but let’s get to the heart of the matter. What it all boils down to is tolerance. Did Hitler ever physically kill a Jew, a Negro, or any other person he saw as imperfect? No, instead he had others do it for him. It was an entire country that tolerated his madness and his inhumanity and allowed him to continue. They were cowards. The same goes for those “organized” terrorists. You think that a lot of them actually want to kill innocent people? Many are just angry at their circumstances in life. They want a scapegoat for their problems, just like the Nazi’s did. So they follow along and participate in crimes against humanity. The only time that bigots gain power over people is when people give them that power.

"Did I say, Hitler? No, I generally refrain from this because people shout 'Godwin's Law' like morons, prattling for some way to talk shit about you without having anything real to back it up with. Anyway, I said 'Nazis' for a very important reason. I don't care why these people did bad things. The fact is, fear isn't a good reason to do something, and if you're afraid, you should be hurting the people instilling fear, or die trying. Sure, 'saying it and doing it' are two different things... Maybe I would fall to fear in that circumstance as well, but if I did, I'd remind myself every day what a fuckin' worthless human being I am for doing so."

Quote from: MyrinaAnd so, the source of society’s problem is tolerance and not bigotry (again, my opinion). Our society is crumbling because we tolerate a person being beaten and even murdered right out in the open. We just drive by car accidents on the side of the road and completely ignore the person waving for help. We just shrug our shoulders and say it’s not our problem. To me, Tolerance is the root of that rotting tooth called Bigotry.

"Doesn't change my point one bit. I said I hate tolerance and bigotry, and I don't justify complacency because there's something even worse out there. So my point stands, I hate rapists, bigots, and Nazis, and that any one of them exists doesn't make me hate any of the others any less."

Quote from: MyrinaI will have to disagree about the statement above. How can anyone believe in Christ if he/she does not believe in the Bible? How would you even know and understand His teachings if you don’t believe in the words that He said? I know that there are many parts of the Bible (mainly in the Old Testament) that no longer applies, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it was not true at one point. But since you do not believe in the Bible at all I will not linger on this subject.

"You disagree that belief in Christ requires a belief in the Bible? I think that's the very reason why people feel a need for organized religion..."

"Let's, however, reasonably disprove the statement. I am, right now, going to write something about Theodore Roosevelt. You see, I am a time traveler, and was actually one of the Rough Riders, almost like one of Roosevelt's apostles, you could say. He once said to me, entirely in private: 'Jimmy', because he felt a need to call me Jimmy, I still don't know why, 'when I go to my grave, I hope, of all the lessons I taught, that you make sure they remember the most important one... When you have nothing but men and horses surrounding you, you should fuck the horses...' That was the last thing he ever said to me..."

"Now, you can say whatever you like about it, but all of that was clearly bullshit. No one has to believe a single word of that to believe that Teddy Roosevelt existed. My example might be ridiculous, but essentially, your statement was that belief in Jesus mandates belief in the Bible, which is simply a published work that contains a discussion of Jesus. For all intents and purposes, it's not really any different than what I posted above. Same reason I can believe in Abraham Lincoln without believing in 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter'."

"I mean, there are plenty of Jewish people who believe that Jesus existed, and may have done some facsimile of the things described in the Bible, but isn't the Messiah. A book filled with words that say something happened is literally just that. The Bible is no more or less a piece of fiction because people believe in it. Read that sentence again carefully before you judge the words, I didn't say the Bible is fictional, whether or not I think so."

"So no, rick doesn't have any mandate or obligation to believe the Bible (whether he does or not, I'm not sure yet), to believe in Jesus."

Myrina

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 19, 2012, 11:25:00 PM
"You disagree that belief in Christ requires a belief in the Bible? I think that's the very reason why people feel a need for organized religion..."

"Let's, however, reasonably disprove the statement. I am, right now, going to write something about Theodore Roosevelt. You see, I am a time traveler, and was actually one of the Rough Riders, almost like one of Roosevelt's apostles, you could say. He once said to me, entirely in private: 'Jimmy', because he felt a need to call me Jimmy, I still don't know why, 'when I go to my grave, I hope, of all the lessons I taught, that you make sure they remember the most important one... When you have nothing but men and horses surrounding you, you should fuck the horses...' That was the last thing he ever said to me..."

"Now, you can say whatever you like about it, but all of that was clearly bullshit. No one has to believe a single word of that to believe that Teddy Roosevelt existed. My example might be ridiculous, but essentially, your statement was that belief in Jesus mandates belief in the Bible, which is simply a published work that contains a discussion of Jesus. For all intents and purposes, it's not really any different than what I posted above. Same reason I can believe in Abraham Lincoln without believing in 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter'."

"I mean, there are plenty of Jewish people who believe that Jesus existed, and may have done some facsimile of the things described in the Bible, but isn't the Messiah. A book filled with words that say something happened is literally just that. The Bible is no more or less a piece of fiction because people believe in it. Read that sentence again carefully before you judge the words, I didn't say the Bible is fictional, whether or not I think so."

"So no, rick doesn't have any mandate or obligation to believe the Bible (whether he does or not, I'm not sure yet), to believe in Jesus."

I'll just leave the horse I just beat to death alone a little bit while I'll tackle this last quote.

First and foremost, I just wanted to let you know that my own words failed me again. I was trying to question how anyone would even know about Christ without first reading about him in the Bible. He is not in our history books. There are some mentions of Him in other books, but nothing that relays His importance. Unless you would be so lucky as to have an angel come down from the sky and proclaim His existence at the top of his voice, you would know nothing about Him. I can see more danger coming from knowing Christ through mainstream Christianity than to actually read the book that was written specifically about Him. The Bible is a guidebook. Do you need to take a map or compass when you want to take a hike? No, but the chances of you getting lost are great without them. So, my response to your statement is no. No one is obligated to believe in the Bible, but then again, no one is obligated to believe in Christ either.
Myrina

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Well, that's partially covered by my example above. Teddy Roosevelt did exist, there are likely true things written about him somewhere. I could even go so far as worship him, that wouldn't make any individual writings about him true. It wouldn't even make things written in his journal true. In the end, it's all just something some person wrote. If you were to argue that not believing in the words of the Bible makes Christianity fall apart, I wouldn't bother arguing. I'd take it as more reason not to follow a religion that hinges solely on the writings of some random dicks from hundreds or thousands of years past..."

"Anyway, my original point was that rick believes in God and Jesus, but explicitly mentioned not following the Commandments, and has shown a tendency to deny other Christian teachings. As I said, if he's picking and choosing which parts of the Bible to believe, that's really not 'following the Bible'. That's just taking inspiration from a work. If that counted, then I could equally count Buddhist teachings and 'The Walking Dead' as my 'Bibles'."

Myrina

I came across this song early this morning and for some reason it stuck with me. At this moment I won't even try to understand why. I'm just going to listen.

Ride- Lana Del Ray

[Music video spoken introduction:]
I was in the winter of my life, and the men I met along the road were my only summer.
At night I fell asleep with visions of myself, dancing and laughing and crying with them.
Three years down the line of being on an endless world tour, and my memories of them were the only things that sustained me, and my only real happy times.
I was a singer - not a very popular one,
I once had a dreams of becoming a beautiful poet, but upon an unfortunate series of events some of those dreams dashed and divided like a million stars in the night sky that I wished on over and over again, sparkling and broken.
But I didn't really mind because I knew that it takes getting everything you ever wanted, and then losing it to know what true freedom is.
When the people I used to know found out what I had been doing, how I'd been living, they asked me why - but there's no use in talking to people who have home.
They have no idea what it's like to seek safety in other people - for home to be wherever you lay your head.
I was always an unusual girl.
My mother told me I had a chameleon soul, no moral compass pointing due north, no fixed personality; just an inner indecisiveness that was as wide and as wavering as the ocean...
And if I said I didn't plan for it to turn out this way I'd be lying...
Because I was born to be the other woman.
I belonged to no one, who belonged to everyone.
Who had nothing, who wanted everything, with a fire for every experience and an obsession for freedom that terrified me to the point that I couldn't even talk about it, and pushed me to a nomadic point of madness that both dazzled and dizzied me.

I've been out on that open road
You can be my full time, daddy
White and gold
Singing blues has been getting old
You can be my full time, baby
Hot or cold

Don't break me down
I've been travelin' too long
I've been trying too hard
With one pretty song

I hear the birds on the summer breeze, I drive fast
I am alone in the night
Been tryin' hard not to get into trouble, but I
I've got a war in my mind
So, I just ride
Just ride, I just ride, I just ride

Dying young and I'm playing hard
That's the way my father made his life an art
Drink all day and we talk 'til dark
That's the way the road dogs do it, ride 'til dark.

Don't leave me now
Don't say good bye
Don't turn around
Leave me high and dry

I am alone in the night
I just ride

I'm tired of feeling like I'm fucking crazy
I'm tired of driving 'till I see stars in my eyes
I look up to hear myself saying, baby,
So I just ride, I just ride

I am alone in the night
I just ride

[Music video spoken ending:]
Every night I used to pray that I’d find my people, and finally I did on the open road.
We had nothing to lose, nothing to gain, nothing we desired anymore, except to make our lives into a work of art.
Live fast. Die young. Be wild. And have fun.
I believe in the country America used to be.
I believe in the person I want to become.
I believe in the freedom of the open road.
And my motto is the same as ever:
"I believe in the kindness of strangers. And when I’m at war with myself I ride, I just ride."
Who are you?
Are you in touch with all of your darkest fantasies?
Have you created a life for yourself where you can experience them?
I have. I am fucking crazy.
But I am free.

Myrina

rick957

Oh wow you guys have no idea what a pleasure it is to have these posts from others, so many posts about various things.  A real unexpected pleasure.

My post today, for now at least, has nothing to do with anything else here.

11/20/12
9:03 P.M.
home in W.Va.

Woke up and started my day at 9 P.M. on Thursday.  Weird, I know.  Listen, you don't the half of how weird my life is; in fact, nobody does.  I'm really weird.

Stuff I want to get done at Elliquiy today, in approximate order of importance:
1. Post to the 1x1 RP I just started called "Consortium of the Damned" or something like that.
2 (maybe).  PM my writing partner in that RP, if necessary.
3. PM someone who wants to join the group RP I run, "Sacha Puya."
4. Post to the 1x1 RP I'm doing called "The Rodent."
5. PM my writing partner in that RP.
6. Email someone else I recently met through this blog.
7. Post to "SP".
8. Conclude a PM discussion with an E staffperson about something or other that is important to me.
9. Do a few more responses and other types of posts to this blog that I've been meaning to do and haven't gotten around to.  As you can see, this blog is a lower priority for me in some ways than lots of other stuff, but it still matters to me, obviously, since I'm posting here before doing anything else.  Why am I posting with this material?  I suppose I figure maybe one or two people out there might find this interesting, although they probably won't.

I would be very happy if I managed to get 1-5 done today.  I would be thrilled if I got 6 or 7 done also.  8 can't happen until the other person gets back to me, and I don't want to rush them at all, so it'll happen whenever it happens.

There's a very good chance that I won't get any farther than 1-3 done.  I keep pushing myself to do more than I end up being able to do, and that's upsetting; it would be nice if I could figure out in advance what I'll be able to do, and then just do it, and do other things the next day.  I figure that's a normal and healthy way to approach things.  I'm not normal or healthy though, unfortunately.  I'm trying to be healthy; being normal isn't a big priority, but it would be nice to at least feel normal.  No wait; I don't even care about that either.  Why do I try to be normal if I don't care about it and don't think it's important?  I don't know, but if you have a guess, please let me know.  :)

How many websites do you check at least once a day?  Seriously, I would love to know that about you or about anyone; I don't know that about anyone but me.  I check my primary email account; check Elliquiy for new PMs or RP posts; look at this one website where they give away licensed software (legally) for free, kind of like freeware, except with programs that aren't available elsewhere for free; and, yes I'm a dirty old man, I check this one porn message board where people post stolen softcore picture sets from various softcore porn websites.  Sometimes I see a picture set that I download.  Usually these sets then reside on my hard drive without ever being looked at.  No I don't jerk off to them or even look at them usually.  Yes I collect them anyway.  Yes I jerk off regularly, but not to those.  Lately I mostly make up a mental sex fantasy or revisit a favorite one.  On rare occasions -- maybe once a month or every two weeks -- I look at a stolen porn video from the collection of those on my hard drive.  Yes my hard drive has more porn on it than any sensible human being could look at in the space of a lifetime.  How much porn does your hard drive have on it?  Seriously, I'd love to know; I don't know that about anyone else.  I collect lots of things without using them for the purposes they are intended for.  Porn is one of those things.  I use porn for personal titillation and for masturbation, but that's rare compared to how often I just collect the stuff and then never get around to using it for anything.  I am a collector of things, so much so that the vast, vast majority of things I collect never get used.  This is perhaps a bizarre or even unhealthy habit, this compulsive and unproductive collecting thing, but I don't see that it hurts anyone else and it gives me a bit of enjoyment, so I do it anyway.

Silver

Quote from: rick957 on December 20, 2012, 08:28:55 PM
How many websites do you check at least once a day?  Seriously, I would love to know that about you or about anyone.

Hmm if you would have asked me months ago when I was still away from Elliquiy my answer would have been:

Email
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Job Boards
Amazon
Ebay
Youtube

But since things have changed....:

Email
Elliquiy
WE&T (When I remember)
Work Schedule Site
Amazon
Youtube
Email
Other sites here and there..

Notice how Twitter and Facebook have been cut from my list. Coming back here and being welcomed as if I have never left for for over a year, showed me that I care more about people here most time than some of the people I know on facebook. Granted I know a few people from here that are on facebook but a large degree of them are from high school; I'm older now I don't need petty friendships nor odd high school bullshit anymore. I have a job again, more or less work, Mini-Me, Writing..It's what makes me happy these days..

*shrugs*
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: rick957 on December 20, 2012, 08:28:55 PM
...Yes my hard drive has more porn on it than any sensible human being could look at in the space of a lifetime.  How much porn does your hard drive have on it?  Seriously, I'd love to know; I don't know that about anyone else...

"I dunno what it says about me that I'm eager to answer this... I guess I just like to be the guy who will look someone in the eyes and say, 'yes, I do watch a lot of porn, what of it?' I'm not proud of it, not any more than anything else I do, but I like masturbating and I don't get laid enough. This is by my standards, and to me, I was only getting laid enough when I was getting it at least once a day from two girls (man, that's a period of High School I'd love to relive). Anyway, I keep no more than 50GB of porn on my computer (not counting temporary files), 150 files at a time. I have them organized and I delete and add more all the time. I like variety."

"I don't know how some guys collect massive amounts of porn and don't masturbate to it... I'm picky, and what good is porn I'm not going to masturbate to... I mean, other than a few hilarious videos I've shown my best friend and girlfriend (because I'm weird and if I see something weird in my porn, my closest friends must know)."