News:

Main Menu

The new Star Wars

Started by Beorning, October 24, 2015, 03:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Honestly, the lightsaber is just too easily adapted into any weapon to say it's not possible, practicality is another issue all together.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

I'm going to just make everyone's head explode.

This crossed my Facebook page earlier.

Mr. Oniya is still gobsmacked.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Deamonbane

I saw that earlier... I'm still pondering and wondering. It's... annoyingly plausible.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

TheGlyphstone

Terrifyingly so. Almost certainly nonsense, but it's so well-connected and supported that it hangs together far better than most conspiracies; and the damning weakness in the typical conspiracy theory, the need to keep a large group of people silenced, is countered by the point that Lucas has done something very similar and previously used subterfuge to hide plot twists.

CaptainNexus616

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Inkidu

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-star-wars-broke-hollywood-forever_p2/?wa_user1=2&wa_user2=Movies+%26+TV&wa_user3=blog&wa_user4=feature_module

Cracked ran the above article, and I like this bit the best:

Quote from: David WongThe happiness Star Wars brought me as a kid was real. It wasn't a trick. It was the product of a fictional universe in which everywhere I looked, I saw or heard something that stuck in my mind for the rest of my life. I'm talking about the little things you don't even appreciate at the time, like Ben Burtt's sound design -- he's the one who came up with Darth Vader's labored, mechanical breathing (it's so weirdly ominous it gave me nightmares). He gave the lightsaber that deep electric hum, subconsciously letting you know just how much juice was pumping through that blade. The stormtrooper's gleaming white armor, the menacing, angular Star Destroyers the size of a city ... all these striking design choices, all the little touches. The tens of thousands of tiny details on the ship models, crafted by hand.

And all that overpriced plastic crap my parents worked overtime for every Christmas? Those toys helped me act out thousands of my own stories. George Lucas created a universe I wanted to live in, and gave me a way to live in it. Some of us have spent our entire adult lives trying to be that happy again. You'll see them in line on opening day, many of them with their own kids. Kids who probably only saw the original films because Dad made them watch the DVDs.

That is, unless they fell in love with the prequels, as millions of kids did. Does that bother you, if you're around my age? To think that those kids feel the exact same joy watching Jar Jar flop around on screen as you felt the first time you saw Yoda? Do you see them enjoying Transformers or Shrek and find it hard to admit to yourself that their love of that cynical trash is also genuine?

Because it is.

Take that, cynical old fans. :P
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

mia h

All I'm gonna say about the film is  : "Did not see that comin!?!?"
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

LostInTheMist

Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

After more than thirty years, we finally have a film WORTHY of the title "Star Wars".
My Apologies and Absences  Updated April 1, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: Chronic migraines are creating posting problems. Posting is slower than usual.

mia h

And after seeing it on the big screen I think that certain actors were cast for more than there acting abilities...

It's hidden in a spoiler for a reason

Spot the family resemblance.  ;D
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mnemaxa

Fr those of you who might be interested...

Saberforge

You can design and have your own lightsaber made.  The blades are polycarbonate and are sturdy enough for duels, while you can get a 'plug' to seal it off, for the LEDs to light up (if you add the LEDs). 

The hard part is that they're expensive.  But having the opportunity to own what is basically a working duel-worthy lightsaber?  That's priceless.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

gaggedLouise

Obama at the end of his end-of-year press conference: "Okay everybody, I gotta get to Star Wars!"  :D (line delivered with typical offhand cool)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Dhi

Might we see a Star Wars group game on E? I don't think I've ever seen one, but I have played the tabletop games, West End, d20, and Saga alike, on the convincing of a friend who is a much bigger fan.

Aiden

They always pop up, never really get rolling. Everyone want to be Jedi Masters and Darths

Dhi

Dibs on Darth Twi'lek Stripper.

SinXAzgard21

What I didn't see coming, still has me shocked.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Phaia

yes yes shocked with tears in my eyes :'( :'( ...but but...there was tie fighters and x wings ;D...and light sabers... and the falcon doing spiffy flying things ;D....and Hans and Chewy ;D ;D and a new girl with a long stick that beats people with it...and a new guy named Fin...and did I mention light sabers
:P :P ;D ;D

*waves hands falling around*

'The force is strong in this one'

'May the force be with us!'

Phaia

deadmanshand

It should have been called Star Wars: the Force Awakens to a New Hope. Seriously it was the exact same movie. Nothing new. I was surrounded by cheering fanboys - and 2 crying ones - and all I took away from the movie was irritation at paying to watch a movie I've seen before. Thankfully I'm not a huge Star Wars fan so the overall disappointment is minimal.

SinXAzgard21

Kylo Ren, in my opinion stole the movie.  The emotion, the actual fucking emotion you saw.  You could feel the pain.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Thorne

I enjoyed it. Nods to the original trilogy and all.
Couple of 'twists' I saw coming (I HATE being right!) that I'm not going to clarify. ;p

I have some hunches that I guess I'm just going to have to wait a year to see proven out - or not. Almost looking forward to it. ^^;
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

consortium11

I'm... well... I'm not as positive as a lot of other people seem to be about it.

Spoilers Ahoy... and lots of them
Seriously, lots of spoilers about lots of things; read with caution if you haven't seen the film
One last chance to not read
Have you ever watched a tribute band play?

They play the same songs as the original. They play them the say way as the original. They sound pretty similar to the original. They look pretty similar to the original. They move in a similar way to the original. But for all the talent they may possess, for all their ability to be a near perfect replica of the original, they are not the original and it is that lack of originality and lack of soul that means that a tribute band will never be as good as the real thing.

Welcome to Star Wars: The Force Awakens… the most high budget tribute act of all time.

Alternative title; Star Wars: The Star Wars Movie.

There's barely a major plot point developed or major scene presented over the 136 minutes of the Force Awakens that isn't lifted pretty much wholesale from the original trilogy. To begin with one could argue it's fan service. As it goes on you could claim it's an ironic wink to those who grew up with the original trilogy and want to relive that experience. But in the end it just becomes banal, predictable and seemingly a sign of little courage or imagination on the part of the writers and director.

Small droid that's sort of “cute” escapes with secret documents when its owner is captured? Check.
Promising Jedi fallen to the Dark Side who wears black, has a mask, speaks with a distorted voice and is a close relation to one of the major characters? Check
Giant starbase that can blow up planets? Check
Said giant starbase being taken out by a combination of star fighter attack and an infiltration? Check
Said starfighter attack involves flying down “trenches” lined with turrets while being pursued by enemy fighters? Check
A quest by a young force user to discover a famous Jedi master who has gone missing and can seemingly help them develop their understanding? Check
Major good guy character facing off with a bad guy he has a close history with and eventually sacrificing himself without much of a fight? Check
The bad guys basically being the Empire (including a mysterious master-type character) and the good guys basically being the Rebels? Check
Han Solo as a smuggler who owes dangerous people money? [Check

Some of this is deliberately played up and noted upon within the film itself; Kylo Ren is presented as being obsessed with Darth Vader which makes his obvious similarities to him somewhat understandable. Likewise there is something to be said for watching how the young characters from the original trilogy have basically become the older characters from the original trilogy with Han Solo playing a (slightly more grumpy) Obi Wan Kenobi and Luke taking on the role of Yoda. But the fact there are so many, that they are so similar and that they are so frequent meant that I struggled to meet each one with anything more than a groan. It was a very high budget tribute act… different people playing the same songs in slightly different ways while wearing similar clothes… but for me it lacked soul. It was that tribute band playing the greatest hits because they knew they'd get an "Oohh" and an "Aahh" because they were so good years ago.

Even if one gets beyond the wholescale lifting from previous movies there were things that didn't really work for me either. Despite the long running time the film covers so much ground (both literally and metaphorically) that things frequently lose their punch. The revelation that Kylo Ren was Han Solo's son came and went without much impact because there'd been little build up to it. Han and Leia having broken up? Pretty much the same. The Starkiller base destroying multiple planets (including the current seat of Senate and thus the leaders of the Republic)? It just sort of happened. Poe being alive? Barely raised an eyebrow. Part of that's the pacing; the first half (or more) of the film is relatively sedate which means there's a lot to fit in to the final third; it doesn't so much build to a crescendo as just throw the drum kit off a cliff. But even with the slower pacing some things just never seemed to develop for me. I like the idea that Finn and Rey seemingly are going for a friendship/brother and sister type relationship rather than a romantic one but their sudden closeness was a bit jarring; Finn has the one brief monologue about how Rey was the only person who looked at him a certain way and you can extrapolate how Rey, scarred by abandonment, would feel so deeply about someone coming back for her but the entire thing felt like a somewhat forced bromance. Likewise with Poe and Finn. Hell, throw in Solo and Rey as well; they seemed to have spent about five minutes together, exchanged a few lines and had a few moments where they both understood starships before she's thinking that he's the father she always wanted.

The setting itself threw up some issues that I never quite got over as I watched. The film is set 30 years after the Rebel Alliance won and overthrew the Empire. Yet the way the film goes it could just have easily been set during the height of Imperial Power. The New Order have vastly more men, ships and technology; the first half of the film features the protagonists being on the run and the second half pitches the overmatched rebels against seemingly overwhelming forces; the Resistance (and I'll mention them more later) have the same (or arguably a worse) feel as the rag tag alliance early in the original trilogy. The Republic itself is barely mentioned and the only talk of their direct military forces are a few references to the Republic fleet not being there. Exactly what the Republic Fleet found more important than a considerable military force with dark side users and a super weapon that just destroyed a whole bunch of planets in one go (including the current Senate) is never said. It's that lack of saying that got to me; we know basically nothing more about how the galaxy works 30 years after the Empire fell than we did at the Ewok party. Why has the Republic let the New Order grow as powerful as they have? What is their fleet doing? Why were the Resistance and Leia (surely an important figure) left to take them on at least one star destroyer, countless tie-fighters, a fallen Jedi (who was Luke's apprentice) and a planet sized superweapon with little more than some X-Wings? All it would have taken is a line of dialogue here or there to give at least some explanation. Maybe it's explained in the supporting media that are out there… but one shouldn't have to follow all that media to get some pretty basic questions answered.

(As for the "Resistance"... why are the soldiers from the victorious side called that? The Resistance represent the Republic, the dominant force in the galaxy… if anything shouldn't they be called the New Order and the New Order the Resistance? What exactly is it they're resisting? Why don't they have more support? Why does everything about them seem pretty run down? Why don't they have some capital ship support?)

I imagine other things like Rey suddenly becoming an expert in how to use the Force will be explained in the coming films but that doesn't necessarily mean they should be whitewashed away for now. Luke Skywalker, the Chosen One, required extensive training from both Obi Wan and Yoda to start using the Force effectively. Rey has Kylo Ren delve into her mind for a few moments and suddenly she's using Jedi mind tricks and outpowering Ren in a Force telekenesis contest. Likewise Maz having Luke's lightsabre… why did he give it up, where did she get it and how come no-one else came chasing after it, instead leaving it in the back room of some backwater bar? Or the fall of Kylo Ren; we're given little clue as to why he turned to the dark side and the best we can put together is that he wants to be like Vader… hardly a convincing reason. The strongest stories involving someone falling to the Dark Side are them going too far in pursuit of a generally positive aim; it may not have been well executed in the prequels but Anakin falling because he wanted to save the one he loved is the classic while the Expanded Universe-based fan theory that Palpatine fell because he realised the Republic as it was wasn't strong enough to resist the Yuuzhan Vong (which would also explain the Empire's penchant for super weapons) is a good one. Ren? Right now it appears to be that he fell “just because”. With Luke getting more (well, any…) screen time in the next film we should get more (and I think it could be a powerful story and good example of how obsession, even for good reasons, goes to the Dark Side if Luke was so worried about Ben Solo becoming a new Vader that he ended up turning him into him) but again, that doesn't mean this film should get a free pass for leaving a major element largely untouched.

Other things are personal. Kylo Ren was pretty damn effective while masked and his occasional displays of petulance struck me of being a good example of how the dark side amplifies rage. But once the mask came off I found it hard to care about him; I know for story reasons he can't be too old but he just didn't seem threatening at all. When the good guys return to their base at the end why is Leia's first reaction to hug Rey in the wake of Han's seeming death; she barely knew Rey, Rey barely knew Solo and Chewbacca… Han's best friend, the one seemingly in most need of comfort and someone Leia actually has a long relationship with… is left to stand alone. What happened to the Star Destroyer during the attack on Starkiller Base?

Here's where the courage point I mentioned earlier comes in…

Right now Disney buying Star Wars looks like a licence to print money but let's be clear… it was a risk. The Star Wars liscence will always be profitable just because they can sell so much but Disney didn't pay four billion dollars so they could sell some game licences, do a couple of cartoons and include Star Wars characters in their lineup of plushie toys. This was what they did it for… a big movie which in turn drives all the other merchandising opportunities forward. But the prequels lost a lot of good will which the community had (and even if you liked them popular memory has turned to the point where they are seen as being dreadful) and people were less likely to be forgiving. If this movie did badly (both critically and commercially) it could have been really, really bad for Disney.

If you asked the typical fan what they wanted from this new trilogy they'd have probably said for it to be less like the prequels and more like the original trilogy. So that's what we got. The Republic as a dominant military force rather than a group of rebels? That's too much like the prequels and not enough like the original trilogy. Political scenes setting out how the Republic works? Too much like the prequels, not enough like the original trilogy. Watching the fall of a Jedi rather than have it having already happened and an established master/apprentice Sith relationship? Too much like the prequels, not enough like the original trilogy.

That point also applied to the director as well. J. J. Abrams' re-imagining of Star Trek was a commercial success and, as a non-Trekie, I quite liked them as somewhat generic sci-fi action movies. But from what I understand a lot of Star Trek fans largely disliked them because to them they didn't feel like Star Trek movies. And I imagine that hurt J. J. Abrams. So what he did here was make the most Star Wars type movie he could by simply reusing every element of the original trilogy he could get his hands on. For me that shows a lack of courage. He didn't have the bravery to attempt to make something with the same soul as the original trilogy, he took the trappings that surrounded it.

It's appropriate in some ways; the term “Disneyfication” is a criticism generally used when something is stripped of its original character and instead given little more than the outer veneer of what it once was. And that's exactly what happened to this, the first Disney Star Wars movie.

What we got here could in many ways be argued as a re-imagining, much as the first new Star Trek film was, down to characters and actors from the original having plot important cameo roles. But what I wanted wasn't a re-imagining, I wanted a continuation.

That's not to say it's an awful film. It's generally well acted and well directed, the special effects are brilliant and it goes along well. If all you want is to be reminded of Star Wars or a generic sci-fi action film then you'll be well catered for. But I wanted something different from that.

I wanted Fugazi following on from Minor Threat. Instead I got a Minor Threat cover band.

Mnemaxa

Honestly, I'm not all that concerned about it.  It's going to be space fantasy for kids, with some magic, interesting fights, and some old friends, and new faces to learn about. 

And that's okay. 

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

deadmanshand

Quote from: consortium11 on December 19, 2015, 06:42:11 AM
I'm... well... I'm not as positive as a lot of other people seem to be about it.

Spoilers Ahoy... and lots of them
Seriously, lots of spoilers about lots of things; read with caution if you haven't seen the film
One last chance to not read
Have you ever watched a tribute band play?

They play the same songs as the original. They play them the say way as the original. They sound pretty similar to the original. They look pretty similar to the original. They move in a similar way to the original. But for all the talent they may possess, for all their ability to be a near perfect replica of the original, they are not the original and it is that lack of originality and lack of soul that means that a tribute band will never be as good as the real thing.

Welcome to Star Wars: The Force Awakens… the most high budget tribute act of all time.

Alternative title; Star Wars: The Star Wars Movie.

There's barely a major plot point developed or major scene presented over the 136 minutes of the Force Awakens that isn't lifted pretty much wholesale from the original trilogy. To begin with one could argue it's fan service. As it goes on you could claim it's an ironic wink to those who grew up with the original trilogy and want to relive that experience. But in the end it just becomes banal, predictable and seemingly a sign of little courage or imagination on the part of the writers and director.

Small droid that's sort of “cute” escapes with secret documents when its owner is captured? Check.
Promising Jedi fallen to the Dark Side who wears black, has a mask, speaks with a distorted voice and is a close relation to one of the major characters? Check
Giant starbase that can blow up planets? Check
Said giant starbase being taken out by a combination of star fighter attack and an infiltration? Check
Said starfighter attack involves flying down “trenches” lined with turrets while being pursued by enemy fighters? Check
A quest by a young force user to discover a famous Jedi master who has gone missing and can seemingly help them develop their understanding? Check
Major good guy character facing off with a bad guy he has a close history with and eventually sacrificing himself without much of a fight? Check
The bad guys basically being the Empire (including a mysterious master-type character) and the good guys basically being the Rebels? Check
Han Solo as a smuggler who owes dangerous people money? [Check

Some of this is deliberately played up and noted upon within the film itself; Kylo Ren is presented as being obsessed with Darth Vader which makes his obvious similarities to him somewhat understandable. Likewise there is something to be said for watching how the young characters from the original trilogy have basically become the older characters from the original trilogy with Han Solo playing a (slightly more grumpy) Obi Wan Kenobi and Luke taking on the role of Yoda. But the fact there are so many, that they are so similar and that they are so frequent meant that I struggled to meet each one with anything more than a groan. It was a very high budget tribute act… different people playing the same songs in slightly different ways while wearing similar clothes… but for me it lacked soul. It was that tribute band playing the greatest hits because they knew they'd get an "Oohh" and an "Aahh" because they were so good years ago.

Even if one gets beyond the wholescale lifting from previous movies there were things that didn't really work for me either. Despite the long running time the film covers so much ground (both literally and metaphorically) that things frequently lose their punch. The revelation that Kylo Ren was Han Solo's son came and went without much impact because there'd been little build up to it. Han and Leia having broken up? Pretty much the same. The Starkiller base destroying multiple planets (including the current seat of Senate and thus the leaders of the Republic)? It just sort of happened. Poe being alive? Barely raised an eyebrow. Part of that's the pacing; the first half (or more) of the film is relatively sedate which means there's a lot to fit in to the final third; it doesn't so much build to a crescendo as just throw the drum kit off a cliff. But even with the slower pacing some things just never seemed to develop for me. I like the idea that Finn and Rey seemingly are going for a friendship/brother and sister type relationship rather than a romantic one but their sudden closeness was a bit jarring; Finn has the one brief monologue about how Rey was the only person who looked at him a certain way and you can extrapolate how Rey, scarred by abandonment, would feel so deeply about someone coming back for her but the entire thing felt like a somewhat forced bromance. Likewise with Poe and Finn. Hell, throw in Solo and Rey as well; they seemed to have spent about five minutes together, exchanged a few lines and had a few moments where they both understood starships before she's thinking that he's the father she always wanted.

The setting itself threw up some issues that I never quite got over as I watched. The film is set 30 years after the Rebel Alliance won and overthrew the Empire. Yet the way the film goes it could just have easily been set during the height of Imperial Power. The New Order have vastly more men, ships and technology; the first half of the film features the protagonists being on the run and the second half pitches the overmatched rebels against seemingly overwhelming forces; the Resistance (and I'll mention them more later) have the same (or arguably a worse) feel as the rag tag alliance early in the original trilogy. The Republic itself is barely mentioned and the only talk of their direct military forces are a few references to the Republic fleet not being there. Exactly what the Republic Fleet found more important than a considerable military force with dark side users and a super weapon that just destroyed a whole bunch of planets in one go (including the current Senate) is never said. It's that lack of saying that got to me; we know basically nothing more about how the galaxy works 30 years after the Empire fell than we did at the Ewok party. Why has the Republic let the New Order grow as powerful as they have? What is their fleet doing? Why were the Resistance and Leia (surely an important figure) left to take them on at least one star destroyer, countless tie-fighters, a fallen Jedi (who was Luke's apprentice) and a planet sized superweapon with little more than some X-Wings? All it would have taken is a line of dialogue here or there to give at least some explanation. Maybe it's explained in the supporting media that are out there… but one shouldn't have to follow all that media to get some pretty basic questions answered.

(As for the "Resistance"... why are the soldiers from the victorious side called that? The Resistance represent the Republic, the dominant force in the galaxy… if anything shouldn't they be called the New Order and the New Order the Resistance? What exactly is it they're resisting? Why don't they have more support? Why does everything about them seem pretty run down? Why don't they have some capital ship support?)

I imagine other things like Rey suddenly becoming an expert in how to use the Force will be explained in the coming films but that doesn't necessarily mean they should be whitewashed away for now. Luke Skywalker, the Chosen One, required extensive training from both Obi Wan and Yoda to start using the Force effectively. Rey has Kylo Ren delve into her mind for a few moments and suddenly she's using Jedi mind tricks and outpowering Ren in a Force telekenesis contest. Likewise Maz having Luke's lightsabre… why did he give it up, where did she get it and how come no-one else came chasing after it, instead leaving it in the back room of some backwater bar? Or the fall of Kylo Ren; we're given little clue as to why he turned to the dark side and the best we can put together is that he wants to be like Vader… hardly a convincing reason. The strongest stories involving someone falling to the Dark Side are them going too far in pursuit of a generally positive aim; it may not have been well executed in the prequels but Anakin falling because he wanted to save the one he loved is the classic while the Expanded Universe-based fan theory that Palpatine fell because he realised the Republic as it was wasn't strong enough to resist the Yuuzhan Vong (which would also explain the Empire's penchant for super weapons) is a good one. Ren? Right now it appears to be that he fell “just because”. With Luke getting more (well, any…) screen time in the next film we should get more (and I think it could be a powerful story and good example of how obsession, even for good reasons, goes to the Dark Side if Luke was so worried about Ben Solo becoming a new Vader that he ended up turning him into him) but again, that doesn't mean this film should get a free pass for leaving a major element largely untouched.

Other things are personal. Kylo Ren was pretty damn effective while masked and his occasional displays of petulance struck me of being a good example of how the dark side amplifies rage. But once the mask came off I found it hard to care about him; I know for story reasons he can't be too old but he just didn't seem threatening at all. When the good guys return to their base at the end why is Leia's first reaction to hug Rey in the wake of Han's seeming death; she barely knew Rey, Rey barely knew Solo and Chewbacca… Han's best friend, the one seemingly in most need of comfort and someone Leia actually has a long relationship with… is left to stand alone. What happened to the Star Destroyer during the attack on Starkiller Base?

Here's where the courage point I mentioned earlier comes in…

Right now Disney buying Star Wars looks like a licence to print money but let's be clear… it was a risk. The Star Wars liscence will always be profitable just because they can sell so much but Disney didn't pay four billion dollars so they could sell some game licences, do a couple of cartoons and include Star Wars characters in their lineup of plushie toys. This was what they did it for… a big movie which in turn drives all the other merchandising opportunities forward. But the prequels lost a lot of good will which the community had (and even if you liked them popular memory has turned to the point where they are seen as being dreadful) and people were less likely to be forgiving. If this movie did badly (both critically and commercially) it could have been really, really bad for Disney.

If you asked the typical fan what they wanted from this new trilogy they'd have probably said for it to be less like the prequels and more like the original trilogy. So that's what we got. The Republic as a dominant military force rather than a group of rebels? That's too much like the prequels and not enough like the original trilogy. Political scenes setting out how the Republic works? Too much like the prequels, not enough like the original trilogy. Watching the fall of a Jedi rather than have it having already happened and an established master/apprentice Sith relationship? Too much like the prequels, not enough like the original trilogy.

That point also applied to the director as well. J. J. Abrams' re-imagining of Star Trek was a commercial success and, as a non-Trekie, I quite liked them as somewhat generic sci-fi action movies. But from what I understand a lot of Star Trek fans largely disliked them because to them they didn't feel like Star Trek movies. And I imagine that hurt J. J. Abrams. So what he did here was make the most Star Wars type movie he could by simply reusing every element of the original trilogy he could get his hands on. For me that shows a lack of courage. He didn't have the bravery to attempt to make something with the same soul as the original trilogy, he took the trappings that surrounded it.

It's appropriate in some ways; the term “Disneyfication” is a criticism generally used when something is stripped of its original character and instead given little more than the outer veneer of what it once was. And that's exactly what happened to this, the first Disney Star Wars movie.

What we got here could in many ways be argued as a re-imagining, much as the first new Star Trek film was, down to characters and actors from the original having plot important cameo roles. But what I wanted wasn't a re-imagining, I wanted a continuation.

That's not to say it's an awful film. It's generally well acted and well directed, the special effects are brilliant and it goes along well. If all you want is to be reminded of Star Wars or a generic sci-fi action film then you'll be well catered for. But I wanted something different from that.

I wanted Fugazi following on from Minor Threat. Instead I got a Minor Threat cover band.

My feelings exactly. The movie was just pointless. We have seen it before.

Dhi

I think you have to forgive the movie for being the same like you have to forgive pop music for being the same if you want to share a culture with people. For the next half a decade, disliking it will be akin to disliking the sunlight.

Personally I found it Lisa Frank Unicorn levels of magical.

Aiden

Quote from: Dhi on December 19, 2015, 09:39:05 AM
I think you have to forgive the movie for being the same like you have to forgive pop music for being the same if you want to share a culture with people. For the next half a decade, disliking it will be akin to disliking the sunlight.

Personally I found it Lisa Frank Unicorn levels of magical.

+1 looking forward to watching this with my sibling, god daughter and in time my kids.

I loved the Poe and Finn bromance.