News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Vocabulary and free rice

Started by Bliss, October 16, 2007, 07:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliss

At FreeRice.com, they present you with a word, and four possible meanings. For each one you get right, they donate ten grains of rice to a hungry person through an international aid agency. As you continue getting words right, you'll get presented with more challenging ones; when you get words wrong, they'll present you with less challenging ones.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Sabby

that is awesome :) ten grains isn't much on its own... but making this a school activity or something would feed so many kids.

Ophelia

i love this site! Some of the words are really tough and it makes me feel bad that I don't have the best vocabulary >_> *opens dictionary.com and cheats for the poor*

||Opelias  ons and offs||

Feel free to PM me :D!

Vekseid

Eventually you're pretty well on your own with some of the definitions.

Moondazed

Gods, that site is addictive!  And it makes me feel smart :D  Please don't point out how sad it is that I get my reassurance from something so simple :P
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Spookie Monster

Apologies for getting into this thread a little late!  Just writin' to thank Bliss for directing people toward FreeRice, whose intentions seem to be honest -- heck, even Snopes.com discusses it! -- and to encourage everybody here at Elliquiy to check it out.

By the way, FreeRice has recently increased the amount of rice donated for a correct response from ten grains to twenty grains!  Not a huge amount, granted, but it adds up.  Visit the "Options" page and arrange it so that you can watch your donations accumulate over time!

Thanks again for mentioning it, Bliss.  And thanks, Sabbat, Ophelia, Vekseid, and moondazed, for supporting it.  Here's to generosity and here's to knowledge!

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Bliss

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Cjac

I'm actually really glad you did, I didn't read this when it was first up so I didn't know about it.  I'm there now racking up the rice!

Thanks to you both!
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind. -Bob Marley
CjaC passed away on February 17th, 2008, thus her account restriction. We remember her fondly.

Caeli

I've been on this site since it first started in October, and it's really addicting. And even if you go on for only a few minutes a day... hey, you increase your vocabulary, and it's rice! I mean, I love rice. xD Having the chance to give it to others makes it all the better.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

ZK

*goes onto 3000 grains of rice on day one* Awesome site. Increases your vocabulary understanding in the English language and you feed the hungry.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Spookie Monster

Glad to learn that you're enjoying FreeRice, Cjac, Caeli, and Z.K.  Congratulations on earning 3000 grains in a single day, Z.K.!  Very cool.  Anybody want to share a current count?  I'm rather interested... :)

Thanks once more, Bliss! :)

Spel

P.S.: By the way, Cjac, I really misread your avatar at one point:

"You can defuse a bomb.  But defusing a bear might be a bad idea."

Well, at least I like the way my mind works. ;D
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Cjac

Quote from: Spel on January 18, 2008, 05:06:25 PM

P.S.: By the way, Cjac, I really misread your avatar at one point:

"You can defuse a bomb.  But defusing a bear might be a bad idea."

Well, at least I like the way my mind works. ;D

*chuckles*  Me too!  I have a hard time reading that thing sometimes and I know what it says! 

My current count is 2100 grains, but that was yesterday and after I found out you could save it.
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind. -Bob Marley
CjaC passed away on February 17th, 2008, thus her account restriction. We remember her fondly.

Spookie Monster

Quote from: Cjac on January 18, 2008, 05:21:06 PMMy current count is 2100 grains, but that was yesterday and after I found out you could save it.

Goodness, no need to qualify -- earning 2100 grains is great!  Still, it must be satisfying to watch the amount grow now that it's being saved; I know that it is for me.  I myself hit 100000 grains the other day, which, needless to say, I wouldn't have been able to manage in one sitting! ;D  The thank-you message is something like May you have a lifetime of happiness...; pretty cool.  (Then again, it immediately afterward resets to zero grains!  Talk about a challenge...)

Anyway, well done!  I hope that you're still having a good time with it... :)

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Cjac

I'm having a blast!  And congratulations on 10,000 grains!!

Keiro

Thoughts of a Deaf SysAdmin

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to...

Want to see my O/Os? Check My Roleplay Preferences. :3

Spookie Monster

They would do something like this, now wouldn't they?  Well, the vocab levels in FreeRice now go beyond 50.  I was perfectly happy speeding through level 50 with a smile, knowing that I was honing my m4d skillz and donating rice as I did so, but no, now I've got a new challenge.  This is like saying to a crackhead, "Hey, you remember that crack you love so much?  Well, now they're offering a new kind that's covered in chocolate frosting!"

Dang.

Anyway, for those of you who reached the top: the top just moved!  Enjoy! ;D

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Cjac

Spookie Monster

Eh... no new deal, per se. :)  You still select from four words; you still donate twenty grains of rice per correct choice.  It's just that now the vocab levels extend beyond 50!  How far, I don't know -- sadly, shamefully, I've only reached level 53.

Actually, it does feel to me as though there's been a change in the style of the incorrect options after level 50 -- they contain more puns and obvious wrong answers.  It's odd.  I don't know: Perhaps it helps a person learn new words, perhaps it hinders!

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Spookie Monster

FreeRice has added still more options!  Now more subjects are available -- "Famous Paintings," "Chemical Symbols (Basic)," "Chemical Symbols (Full List)," "English Grammar," "World Capitals," "French," "German," "Italian," "Spanish," and "Multiplication Table" -- and one can select levels of difficulty.  Awesome!

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

ZK

I try to donate a thousand grains of rice every day.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Spookie Monster

Quote from: ZK on August 25, 2008, 08:51:32 PMI try to donate a thousand grains of rice every day.

Very cool!  Have you tried out any of the other subjects?  If so, what do you think of them?

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Bliss

I donated a few thousand grains trying out the  multiplication. Seems to stick to the 12 tables or less, and was a good time, not too tough nor challenging.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Spookie Monster

Quote from: Bliss on August 27, 2008, 04:38:48 PMI donated a few thousand grains trying out the  multiplication. Seems to stick to the 12 tables or less, and was a good time, not too tough nor challenging.

Cool!  I tried out the multiplication, too.  You're right: It isn't particularly challenging.  On the other hand, it is a great way to donate some grains quickly!

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Paradox

Thank you Bliss. I am thoroughly addicted to this site.

My favorite one so far has been

schnozzola means:

grain breakfast food
   folded pizza
   Italian soft drink
   nose

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Bliss

Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3