Young Justice: Rebellion

Started by SmilingFox, November 30, 2014, 06:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFourthShade

I'm interested, if you have room/need a replacement if someone drops on you.

Foxy DeVille

Hmmm... I have a weird idea for a character that could work here...

Juggtacular

SmilingFox

By all means guys and gals, throw up some character ideas. Even if they're rough, we can work together to flesh them out, maybe giving you ideas you didn't have before.

Honestly, i'm curious as to what you'll all come up with.

Juggtacular

My character is almost done. He controls Density and Gravity and up until the point where they're trying to escape, he was running a gang that was pretty much helping people stand against the other gangs. Sort of like a merc group. Pay them protection and they actually help you, and don't treat you like an indentured servant or something like that.

MiraMirror

Name: Chelsea Amarin

Hero Name: Mockingbird

Appearance: Still looking

Personality: Normally quite sarcastic, she has a tendency to tack "dude" on to the end of her sentences, regardless of who she's speaking to.  She's not one to try denying what kind of situation she and her comrades are in, but neither does she approve of the "doom and gloom" attitude some  seem to have adopted.  She'll usually follow orders in a fight, up until an enemy manages to land a few hits or frustrates her. Unfortunately for her, she's rather easily frustrated, and has a tendency to throw any semblance of strategy out the window when that happens.

She also seems to harbor a strange hatred of what many consider the "big heroes", such as Superman, often spitting back that they don't need them to win.

Abilities:

The most prominent feature on Mockingbird's body is the pair of large, feathered wings that she can sprout from her back. While these do provide a form of flight, they also make for a potent set of weapons. At her command, Songbird can forcibly "eject" feather from these wings, which quickly crystallize and fire out at, akin to high-speed darts, at varying angles (depending on her own angle).

Possesses the ability to unleash her voice as a supersonic burst capable of tearing through solid objects and injuring living creatures.  This burst takes on a cone-based burst, starting off as a thin area before rapidly spreading out, ending in a circular area.

Able to focus her voice on very tiny areas (normally the ears) in an effort to induce confusion upon individual enemies.  This takes effect by scrambling the target's brain, muddling their sight for a short time, and potentially leading them to believe than their ally is an enemy.

Able to remotely detonate aforementioned crystalline feathers from a distance, causing them to burst into shards of crystalline material.

Her masterful control over her vocal chords allows her to imitate any voice she's heard with nearly perfect precision, opening up the potential to lead enemies into a bad situation if she's given the chance.

Origin: (In progress, probably going to fill this in tonight)

Weaknesses: Friendly fire- Songbird's voice doesn't care who's in the way.  If an ally happens to throw themself into the range of her screech, they're just as susceptible as the enemy might be.

Reversal: It's possible to actually reflect Songbird's voice back at her, especially in tiny areas, or those areas that echo back at her.  While the sound of her own voice doesn't harm her upon being released, that doesn't mean it doesn't work ehen it hits her ears on.the return trip.

Close range: Her screech affects a cone-like area, starting woth a thin area and gradually expanding.  This means that an opponent could take advantage of this and dance circles around her at this range, with minimal risk.

Feathers: While it doesn't harm Songbird to forcibly expel feathers from her wings, it most certainly DOES hurt if they sre plucked via force, to the point where multiple plucks in a short period of time could temporarily cripple her.

Brash: While she's certainly willing to listen to commands and tactics, she's also quick to anger.  An enemy who happens to pick up on this could use it against her, as she often switches to her screech when angered. (See close range above).

Feathers: Her feathers are not unlimited, and take at least a night or two to completely regrow.  Exhausting her ammunition also forces her to the ground.

Air combatant: Needless to say, she's much more effective in the air than anywhere else.  Making her waste enough feathers or grounding her in some other manner reduces her effectiveness considerably.

On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

Juggtacular

Name: Moses Price

Hero Name: Prime

Personality: Despite his upbringing, Moses is a pretty nice guy. He always seems to have something funny to say and a smile on his face. He loves to joke around and make people laugh. He has a serious side as well, usually reserved for missions or when someone has genuinely pissed him off. He becomes a different person then; focused, and no nonsense. It takes him a bit to open up to people, but once he does he shows deep loyalty to people he trusts and respects.

When it comes to fighting back against the Xeno's, Moses is militant; he is focused on his aims and goals and tries to let little else get in the way of that. People notice how different he gets when they're fighting as opposed to when they're not, but it's simply how he's wired and it's hard to change something like that if you even can. He’s a hard person due to his military upbringing, but he's not some meathead who is nothing but a soldier. He's just a guy that wants his people and his world to be safe, and will do anything to see that accomplished.

Abilities: Moses possess two connected, but unique sets of powers. Density Manipulation, and Gravity Manipulation. He has trained with them for years and has become quite proficient in that time.

Density Manipulation - By drawing on extra-dimensional mass from a unique subspace dimension he can access, or shunting his own current mass into said extra-dimensional subspace, he can raise or lower his density at will. What this means is that by shunting mass, he lowers his density to the point that he becomes intangible and is able to phase through solid matter. By doing the reverse and adding mass, he increases his durability and strength.

Gravity Manipulation - Moses manipulates gravity itself through the psionic manipulation of gravitons and anti-gravitons, the particles that essentially make gravity work how it does. By manipulating these particles, he can achieve flight. He can also raise or lower gravity in an area, making something weightless, or crushing it. He can even create a forcefield by compressing gravitonic energy around his body. Also, by projecting gravitons in a cohesive beam pattern, he can shoot energy blasts. He can further increase his strength by using his gravitonic powers, and with focus, can simulate telekinesis.

While not a super power, Moses' dad was a Marine and has trained him in everything from CQB to survival skills and everything else a soldier needs to survive.

Origin: Moses was born in Brixton, which is in South London. His city was designated EZ119-B12. His father David Price was an American Marine who'd moved to England to be with the woman he loved, a school teacher named Janelle Baker. They were together when the Dan'shee, and thankfully neither of them were harmed in the initial invasion or after. However both were subjected to experiments. Both of them were considered failures when neither showed any signs of genetic alteration.

Thankfully that meant they were allowed to live relatively normal lives. After a few years, they had Moses. Everything was alright until he was about four. A rebellion sparked in their city zone, and after the Xeno's put it down, they allowed those not involved to move to a different zone due to the massive damage done by bombings and fighting. They ended up in EZ316-A, and thankfully David had family there, so settling in wasn't too hard. Moses was raised like a normal kid, and did normal kid things. Until he was about 13. That's when his powers began to manifest.

Little things at first, like being able to lift more weight than usual when he worked out, or his elbow slipping through a table when he leaned on it. His parents noticed and it didn't take a super genius to figure that his powers were the result of the experimentation done on his parents all those years ago. while they didn't understand his powers, they wanted him in full control so he could hide them. If the Xeno's found out he had powers he'd be killed, or worse, taken in, experimented on more and pressed into service.

He trained in secret, becoming better and better as the days turned to weeks turned to months turned to years. His father had always told him that if you could do the right thing, you should do the right thing. And this made Moses want to fight back against the powers that be since he had the abilities to do so. He wasn't suicidal though, and fighting back alone would mean he probably wouldn't even be a footnote in history after he was killed for defiance.

So instead he used his powers in secret to make things better for the few people he could within EZ316-A, and without going directly against the Xeno's. He started one of his own gangs to add to the many already saturating the city. The difference with his though is that they help people and give them choices. A store owner doesn't have to pay protection, but if they do the price will be reasonable, they won't be threatened by Moses or his people, and they will absolutely make sure none of the other gangs mess with them. It's a nice little gig and it more than pays the bills. He has his powers for a reason, but until he finds out what that reason is, he's content with helping how he can and keeping his head down.

Weaknesses:  Moses wields one of the four fundamental forces that bind the universe at his fingertips, but he's still a man. He needs to drink, he needs to eat, he needs to sleep. Without the basics of human survival, he will die. There’s also the fact that he can be taken by surprise, and if he is, he can be injured and killed like a normal person, as his powers are not constantly on, they have to be activated.

All of his abilities run on his bodies store of energy; if that’s depleted, not only will his powers cease to work correctly if at all, he’ll be physically drained as well. This will result in sluggish and lethargic actions. Beyond that, his powers mentally drain him as well and if he is drained, he'll be sleepy and slow to action.

When it comes to his density powers, they are not infallible. While he can become intangible, he can still be hurt by certain types of energy. For example, air is intangible, but it is still ionized when lightning strikes. This means that even if you can't physically touch him, he can still be harmed. Also manipulating his mass takes focus when going from one end of the spectrum to the other.

TheFourthShade

Shroth!  May I make the suggestion that Mockingbird was an attempt to make some sort of sound-based warfare device, but one that was not able to stay under their control (or one who failed to perform as expected and was released as a failed experiment).

I'm still working on a concept.

I had a couple, a plant person who is an experiment in creating an unkillable human, a psychic sharpshooter able to possess up to two bodies at once, and a mutant genius who has a flair for blowing things up...but I'm really trying to get things past the 'one sentence concept stage'.

MiraMirror

Fourth, I like that idea! I'm going to build around that.

SmilingFox

Also keep in mind powers done really have to be on purpose. The Xenos regularly dose large populations with mutagens, just to see what happens. That, combined with various 'anomalies' around their machines leads to more super powered individuals than they can track, thankfully.

Garuss Vakarian

Are you opposed to introducing the speedforce?

For those confused, it is the primary origin of most speedsters having their power. Ie: The flash familly for example.

SmilingFox

The speedforce gets a bit... Absurd at points. I'm fine with characters being speedy, but hypersonic is where I draw the line. At max, vibrating through solid objects. Everything else gets way over the top.

MiraMirror

Really tempted to say that Mockingbird doesn't remember "her" voice, due to some kind of side-effect from the experiments, or that she can't use it anymore, something like that. It'd give her a nice grudge against the aliens, and it gives them something they can use to torment her about.

Mathim

Quote from: SmilingFox on December 03, 2014, 06:08:52 PM
The speedforce gets a bit... Absurd at points. I'm fine with characters being speedy, but hypersonic is where I draw the line. At max, vibrating through solid objects. Everything else gets way over the top.

I was interested in a super-speed character of my own, with a twist that gives him a slight edge over the Flash/Kid Flash. It needn't involve the speed force per se, I'm comfortable with ignoring it.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Juggtacular

Quote from: Mathim on December 03, 2014, 07:45:03 PM
I was interested in a super-speed character of my own, with a twist that gives him a slight edge over the Flash/Kid Flash. It needn't involve the speed force per se, I'm comfortable with ignoring it.

Would his twist be that he doesn't run around in a bright red rubber suit, making him a target even at high speeds?

TheFourthShade

Quote from: Juggtacular on December 03, 2014, 07:52:50 PM
Would his twist be that he doesn't run around in a bright red rubber suit, making him a target even at high speeds?

The real trick is that even when he wears clothing that would make him blend in more, he's moving so fast he glows red.

worldeater

Question how do you feel about adaptation characters or people that essentially function like the Sentinels from Days of Future Past, but biological rather than mechanical?
A Change of Scenery

TheFourthShade

How long has it been since the earth has been conquered, anyway?

My concept currently is a very tough to kill person, but the background changes quite a bit depending on how long has passed since the earth was conquered.

Is the Earth still sunny at day and dark at night?

SmilingFox

Yeah, it's been about just over a year or so. The aliens have worked damn hard and quickly to subdue humanity, but there's still scattered rebellions. It's been just long enough for people to start losing hope that the heroes are still out there.

So yeah, sun cycles are the same. The biggest change is due to the isolation, lots of people don't bother working/going to school. Most new stuff comes into quarantine zones via drops from the Xenos, and all of that stuff is suspect but necessary to get by.

ShadowFox89

How bad is it in the quarantine zones? Armed gangs dividing territory up between themselves?

And.... we're in Gotham, aren't we o_o
Call me Shadow
My A/A

SmilingFox

Not in gotham per say, but things are pretty bad. With nothing to do, people squabble over resources, squat in former businesses, and generally do what they can to get by. Yours in particular is pretty crappy, but people aren't wantonly killing each other or anything. There's some gangs, but mostly they function to 'look after their own'.

MiraMirror

So I'm curious. I'll be going with the suggestion that Mockingbird was being experimented upon in the hopes of making a sonic-based weapon that ultimately either went out of control or didn't work (at the time). I imagine the chances of them actually remembering her is incredibly low, yes? Furthermore, how likely is it that she wouldn't remember either her actual voice from before the aliens, or that she wouldn't really remember who she was (hooray, selective amnesia!) Lastly, how prominent will the "Superman is alive!" thing be here, because she's probably going to be pretty damn sore about it. She's not doom-and-gloom, but she sees that the great hero let them down.  ...You know, she kind of seems like she might be one of the characters that could stray closer to an anti-hero if stuff happened. >.>

SmilingFox

Yeah, the aliens don't tend to care enough about their experiments to remember everyone. If she's in their databanks, they'd have to take time to search for data on her. The 'Superman's Alive' exists mostly on an underground network that works mainly like a primitive internet. There are dozens of 'heroes' working constantly to keep the Xenos from destroying it entirely.

Occasionally there will be things like graffiti as well, as a sign of rebellion. It's mainly a symptom of people who haven't given up hope and continue their rebellion against the aliens.

TheFourthShade

Name:
Lily
Hero Name: Overgrowth
Appearance:  Lily's human form is that of a lithe and tall redhead, with blonde streaks in her red hair.  Her skin is fair, with a slightly sickish green tint.  Despite repeated washings and no reintroduction of any dyeing products into her hair, it appears that she is stuck with that particular hair coloration for now.  She very often covers her form in a hooded poncho, however, and wears conservative and simple clothes to cover most exposed skin.  It is better that others do not know who and what she is until she has bypassed them and any conflict they may attempt to impose on her.  Curiously enough, she goes around in bare feet and loves to walk around in bare soil.

When threatened, attempting to hide underground, or otherwise dispensing with subtlety, she swells up to a form easily twenty feet tall at the shortest that looks anything but human.  Though still basically human at the core of her plant and leafy matter, she is wreathed in thick petals and leaves that protect her from incoming attacks and surrounded by large vines that serve as a combination of 'eyes and ears', limbs, and roots.  In this form

Personality: A pacifist by nature, Lily loathes fighting and attempts to defuse it where possible.  However, her first encounter with humans has taught her that being able to fight back is crucial, even if it is only a matter of scaring them off.  However, she is curious about what she has forgotten and about people around her, even if she hates their aggression.

She does not understand the aliens entirely, but she decides that the humans near uniform opposition or dislike of them is a sign that they should be avoided when possible and fought when eluding them is not possible.

Abilities: 

-Able to survive for a significant amount of time with only some contact with soil and sunlight.

-Assume a larger, plant monster form that increases her combat capabilities and size greatly at the sacrifice of subtlety and speed.  In addition, her vines and their flower/bulb-like pods are capable of functioning as separate sense organs, allowing her to process and act on multiple sources of sensory information at once.

-Able to regenerate slowly so long as she is able to establish contact with sunlight, soil, and water.  In larger plant form, she can establish this contact by burrowing into the dirt.  In human form, she can sprout small roots from her feet to draw in nutrients.

-Able to burrow into dirt and through weak or cracked stone, with time.

-A passable markswoman, though she loathes the idea of using weapons on people.

-Very stealthy

Origin: Waking up six feet under the ground is, as many liquor store customers will tell the cashier asking about their day, about the worst way your day can start.

Lily did not mind, though.  The ground was cozy, and one of her pods could see above the soil for her.   The surface was a pretty horrible looking place at the moment, though, what with all the humans shouting, loud noises everywhere, and flashes from both sides of the argument.  She did not remember how she had gotten here or even where she was.

She emerged to stop the dispute, holding up both her pods and her arms in a gesture that she remembered as 'don't shoot, I surrender'.  Needless to say, she was quite surprised when the humans started firing their loud weapons at her, too.  Admittedly, they had very little effect.  The bullets hurt on the rare occasions that they struck her head or pods, but hurting did not kill her.  She was able to strike out at the humans and incapacitate them.  They were so tiny compared to her, and they shook with fear as she approached.

Taking away their weapons so they would not be able to hurt each other on awaking, she frowned and tried to remember how she had got here.  Why had the humans attacked her?  She didn't mean any harm and she was one of...she had been...

A vision flashed in her head of a normal looking girl with red hair and dyed blonde streaks, protesting some sort of human machine effort.  Why could she not remember?

Either way, she felt something strange in her and found that she had shrunk while contemplating this strange vision.  A pool of water told her the truth: she had transformed into a human, somehow, and the human from her memory, too!

She decided that exploration of this human society was necessary to understand who she had been and what she had been.  All she had was a name, the look of a human, and a few memories of a time long gone by.  It was not long before she came to the conclusion that this containment zone was too small.  Something had happened outside of it to bring her to where she was today...and she was going to find out why.

Infiltrating human society, she has offered her services to a strange humanoid by the moniker of 'Shockwave', offering her assistance in protecting her territory in exchange for shelter and open dirt to plant herself in...

Weaknesses:
-Intense sources of flame and bursts of cold can reduce or even completely halt her regeneration factor until she can regulate her temperature.

-She has a pretty strong aversion to open flame and intense cold in all forms, willing to do quite a few irrational things to escape them.

-Plant poisons require greater quantities to slay her than they would normal plants, but they are quite debilitating to her.

-Despite her regeneration factor, completely vulnerable to injury or death in her human form.

Wajin

Name: Toshiro Fukuda

Hero Name: Tempus

Personality: Toshiro is a calm, composed young man who rarely, if ever shows his emotions, and if he does no one is able to see it anyway due to the nature of his abilities. Toshiro is just as misanthropic as he is xenophobic, for this reason trying to appeal to Toshiro's sense of humanity is pointless as he sees himself seperate from everone else. He holds disdain for his entire family as they left him when his powers started manifesting and this has only further caused him to become cold towards the world.

Abilities:

Time Dilation Field - Toshiro has a constant, inescapable time dilation field surrounding him at all times. It forms a perfect cube around his body with the distance from the sides of the cube to his body being 1 meter in each direction. While he cannot turn it off, Toshiro does have some limited control of the strength of the dilation. Whenever he needs to speak to someone, Toshiro reduces the dilation as much as possible. While he sees time flowing normally at all times, whether inside or outside of the field, the soundwaves produced by his voice gets dilated, causing his speech to become incredibly fast when she sound leaves the dilation field.

Chronokinetic constructs - Toshiro's second ability is more easily controllable. Through unknown means, Toshiro can form chronokinetic energy into solid form, using it as weapons or tools. Combined with his dilation field, this makes Toshiro quite a difficult foe to deal with. The limit to the constructs is that they can only exist within the dilation field, and as such ranged weapons are useless unless used in combination with physical ammunition

Origin:
Toshiro was born on the Hawaiian island of Molokaʻi to Augustine and Jiro Fukuda. His father was a theoretical physicist who had been working on the ideas of a functional hyperdrive. Both his parents had been subjected to quite a lot of experimentation but neither had received any mutations. Toshiro was born under the careful watch of his parents tormentors to check for mutations, however there didn't appear to be any. This would all change one morning, when Toshiro was 15. His family had been relocated to EZ316-A some time ago by this point, so when his powers started manifesting, only his family knew. One morning Toshiro awoke to a rather weird sound, a slow bass filled ringing, and as soon as he kicked his covers off he understood why. As the covers slowly floated through the air, Toshiro saw the source of the sound was his alarm clock. Time was seemingly being dilated around the young man, causing everything other than himself to move at slow speeds. Both intrigued and annoyed by this, Toshiro grabbed his alarm clock and through it out his bedroom door into the hallway, and as soon as it come a meter from his body, it accelerated, causing it to smash against the floor, breaking. His parents, unnerved by the sound of the clock breaking, rushed to his room only to find Toshiro tossing things into the air to test the bounds of his new ability. His father shouted at him, but Toshiro, not yet able to control the flow of time around him precisely understood very little of it and spoke in return, likewise not understood.

As time progressed Toshiro started to become more and more of a loner, his hatred of his family for their fear of him growing to a general misanthropy and soon Xenophobia against the aliens. Toshiro started acted however he wanted as no one was physically able to punish him as he could, with a thought slow them down to the point where he could get out of the situation without worry

Weaknesses:

- Inability to turn his dilation field off means that Toshiro, should he get hurt, would be almost untreatable as his body would still be reacting at normal speed while any attempt to help him would occur in slow motion.

- Misanthropy. Toshiro hates humanity to the point that he sees himself as superior to everyone and he is therefore incredibly hard to work with, and earning his trust or even just compassion is a borderline impossible task.

- Superiority complex. Due to his belief that he can escape any and all situations, Toshiro has no sense of the consequence of his own actions, a trait that could very well backfire on him.
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"