Looking for something other than fantasy

Started by shadowheart, November 30, 2005, 04:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowheart

OK, I am in several fantasy RPs and two modern RPs here.  Looking for something different.  Sci Fi perhaps, something freeform for one or two other players.  Also, looking for a story, not just an insta-orgy (not that any of the RPs I am in now are like that, just saying :) ).

Vandren

I'll provide a second voice for a SF game.   I've been looking for one for a while now, though I'm not up to running one.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Elvi

Yeah haven't dabbled in one of them yet....well I am in a one to one that is going from the fuck fest to adventure and not the other way round.

(Hey so sue me....it works both ways and thats what we both felt like at the time)
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

shadowheart

Well, had someone express interest in playing and / or running an XCOM based RP, based I guess on a computer game based on a human-alien war, and most specifically on the human warriors involved in that.

Anyone interested in such an idea?

ZK

Oooh, I love X-Com. But here comes the question. What time period of the X-Com universe?
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Tahiri Anashia

i was the one that offered to run it. . . i was thinking TFTD time frame, or maybe intercepter time frame.  UFO we'd know to little it'd be an option but it'd be UN run not XCOM run.  and APOC...well i never liked APOC enough....

ZK

Amongst the other things, I actually like UFO: Aftermath on storyline compaired to X-Com's. It's more of a post-apoc game where aliens and monsters have the run of the world and you're the last known survivors of Earth trying to take back what was your's.

And the game takes place six months after the Apocalypse. Not a hundred or so years.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Vandren

Never heard of XCom, so I can't saying anything one way or another.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

shadowheart

Quote from: Vandren on December 01, 2005, 12:04:55 PM
Never heard of XCom, so I can't saying anything one way or another.  :)

Well, I happen to be in the same boat (starship?)  as you, Vandren, so I am learning as I go along.

Tahiri/Anashia, is there a webpage that has background info?

Elvi

Jeramiahh

This might help a bit... although for those with no attention span, X-COM is basically a futuristic Earth, with aliens invading. You play as alien hunters, shooting down craft, destroying alien bases, and protecting the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcom
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Vandren

Sounds a little similar to something I was thinking of running, before I realized I wouldn't have the time. 

Tahiri Anashia

that site really doesn't explain alot about it :) but yes sorta...very general idea stated there.

Amberghylles

Well... the games (at least the ones worth counting) focus on controling the global defense.  The teams that go in to fight the aliens are a part, but not the focus.  And there isn't exactly alot of sexual tension.

But as a premise... it could make for a good backdrop for a good game and really as long as some basics were explained it wouldn't matter if people hadn't played the computer game.

Elvi

shadowheart

Alright then, who would be interested in an XCOM or XCOM like campaiign based on a squadron of fighter pilots?  The premise would be to emphasize the comraderie, relationshios, sexual and non-sexual tensions between the group of people, and also to game out the adrenaline rush of the brief but dangerous encounters with the alien enemy.  In other words, the ephasis isn't as much on the war as it is a group of people trying to cope with the war and their role in it.

ZK

Basically it's Days of Our Lives with aliens trying to kill humanity.

shadowheart

Quote from: Dominatrix Zulo-Kitty on December 03, 2005, 03:15:45 PM
Basically it's Days of Our Lives with aliens trying to kill humanity.

Ummm ...  Maybe not that lurid ... but that's the general idea. *gryn*

ZK

Celestial Goblin

No, sorry, i'm disagreeing.
I had ideas of an X-com game myself, even a serious of short stories. X-rated.

No sexual tension?
Main screen turn on! List:

1)Aliens kidnap living beings for experiments. While cattle might be turned to battle-hulks,
humans might be getting some more interesting treatment.

2)Amongst alien artifacts there is virtual reality, which X-com sciencests explore.
Cadets get to play it and train in it in free time and UFO's can use it on captured humans.

3)With some imagination, the alien races could be made more sexy.
Apocalypse had human-sectoid hybrids who were basically thin human with big black eyes
and good psionic abilites.
Snakemen V2 could be snakewomen or snake-handsome men.
Mutons have their 'nads removed, but their sexual drive could be left, imagine what
they do to ones the capture...

4)Tentacle creatures. X-com 2 terror from the deep had them, why can't they appear on land?

5)Who knows if sexual stimulation does not help humans awaken their psionic abilities?

6)Some say that alien craft engines have a particulary arousing effect on humans.
Flying suits built with them are said to be a truly far out experience.

7)Guys and gals in tight uniforms, running around with guns, stun-rods, maybe they are
issued hand-cuffs too? Comraderie, you say?

8)When aliens mind-control someone, he needs to be stunned/restrained for his own good.
What's a good method of bringing him to his senses?

ZK

That both perks my interest and disgusts me at the same time.

Vandren

Quote from: shadowoftheheart on December 03, 2005, 03:03:48 PM
Alright then, who would be interested in an XCOM or XCOM like campaiign based on a squadron of fighter pilots?  The premise would be to emphasize the comraderie, relationshios, sexual and non-sexual tensions between the group of people, and also to game out the adrenaline rush of the brief but dangerous encounters with the alien enemy.  In other words, the ephasis isn't as much on the war as it is a group of people trying to cope with the war and their role in it.

Sounds like it could work.  I'd be in favour of "XCOM like" rather than the setting itself.  Gives those of us without knowledge of the videogame a bit more even balance and also removes the possible issue of "canon" stuff.

Elvi

Oh dear, why does my angelic greenskin torment my body soooooo much......*whimper*

Zakharra

Sounds interesting. I'm wanting to get into a sci-fi sort of game. However I only know a few sci-fi universes somewhat. Starwars (the movie timelines, nothing after or before), star Trek (the same as in Star Wars), Traveller and some from various sci-fi novels. Anything else, I don't know.

Amberghylles

I agree that an X-Com inspired setting would be the way to go.  What we really need is someone to run it...