Why Greater Equality Makes Societies Stronger

Started by Vekseid, April 13, 2010, 05:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Talk - Richard Wilkinson & Kate Pickett - Why Greater Equality Makes Societies Stronger

Link to website in video

I'm posting this in Elliquiy U because this isn't about any sort of touchy feely argument. It's hard data presented that essentially proves what most of us already know - up to and including the fact that the relatively rich in countries with high inequality (such as the US and UK) are worse off than the relatively rich in countries with lower inequality.

Trieste

DarklingAlice

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Trieste

DarklingAlice

A few pieces of supplemental info:

1) An editorial in the British Medical Journal written by Pickett & Wilkinson. This gives an overview for the research and results relating equality and health. Note that there is a link to the meta-analysis Pickett refers to in the video at the bottom of the article. Definitely worth a look.

2) The slides used in the video in case anyone wanted a closer look.

Also, epidemiologists rock! Of course...I may be biased on that point given my career aspirations...

[EDITORS NOTE: The post ends here suddenly with no explanation. The findings of our institute hypothesize that the evidence is consistent with the author being spirited off to Sweden.]
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.