Intrest Check for a Warhammer 40,000 Game

Started by Urbanzorro, November 08, 2011, 07:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urbanzorro

I.C.

IT IS THE 41st millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Yet EVEN In his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battelfleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst His soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defense forces, the ever-vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants - and worse.

TO BE A man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

Deep within the holy Imperial Palace. Past the outer walls, beyond the areas normally traveled, within sections of the palace so ancient and unused that the layers of dust were thick enough to rival carpets.  Sebastien Oster had finally come to a realization that, at least for a lowly scribe such as himself, was world shattering and freeing all at once... He had been forgotten!!

His direct superior, Curator Issacs, had ordered him to retrieve scroll VRT-5789071 from the supplementary archives room number 347394 roughly two weeks ago. After what must have been an entire day of searching the halls of the palace for the room and then searching the room for the scroll, Sebastien had finally found what had been sent to retrieve. But only as he exited the archive room did he realize he'd forgotten to leave some means of finding his way back to a familiar area of the palace and now was lost.

The next few days had been a blur as Sebastien had wandered the halls of the palace trying to find his way back. All the while growing hungrier and hungrier. Eventually he had found his way to this abandoned portion of the palace. And had found that which had inspired him to remain in the area. A small machine that according to the man's chronometer, provided Sebastien with ration packs once every six hours.

With the belief that he would not be disturbed now firmly in his head. Sebastien was finally able to indulge a part of him that until now he had been afraid to even acknowledge. His natural curiosity!

He'd found a large red book on one of the tables the other day but had been too afraid to open it. But now...now he was seated at the table. He'd read the book's title 'Collected Record of Events Involved in the History of Sub-Sector Lumaria, and it had sounded interesting. With his hand on the book and ready to open it a slight chill of excitement ran through him. And after savoring it for a moment he slowly opened the book and began to read...

O.O.C.

Alright...... This is my idea thread for a story driven game set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. If you're like me and think this concept is quite intriguing, then please read a bit more, see if this game is for you. And if it in fact is, voice some interest by posting something along the lines of "I'm interested" in this thread or post up a character for the 1st chapter AND as always any questions and/or comments are welcome!   

The Basics

I've got a long term story, taking part over several chapters, in mind for this game. Each one of these chapters will cover a different event which had a major effect on the history of Sub-Sector Lumaria, which is a small portion of the WH40K universe that I've imagined up, and will either take place in Sub-Sector Lumaria or in other parts of the galaxy.

The exact make up/format of each chapter will most likely vary greatly from one to the next. Simply because each one will not only tell a different story, but a different kind of story as well. Some chapters will be short, others will be long. With that in mind I'll be treating each chapter as a different game, with its own thread, that will be started once the previous chapter has finished.

For example, players who play in the first chapter (along with any new players who are interested) will be more than welcome in the second chapter but they may need to come up with new characters.

What You Can Expect

You can expect everything that makes the WH40K universe a success, such as violence, suspense, mystery, in depth stories and characters, twisting plots, ect. You can also expect to have the option to play as forces other than those of the Imperium at times.

Characters&NPCs

I'm going to ask that player characters for all the chapters be 100% original, they can obviously be inspired by whoever you like but please don't simply carbon copy any cannon characters.

As far as NPCs go, players can expect to run into original characters and perhaps on occasion a cannon character or two(but no promises).

The Chapters
Below is a list of the chapters I have planned for this game thus far. As well as a short description of each chapter.

Chapter 1 A "Lucky" Find
IC
The House Lanaster was once an extremely powerful  Rogue Trader dynasty, commanding its own fleet of ships as well as the untold amounts of wealth within their holds. But after the loss of their patriarch, most of their wealth, and all but one of their minor ships to a freak warp storm, that fact only serves to make the hardship the house has has come upon even more of an affront to their honor.

Forced to start from almost nothing House Lanaster's new leader, Lysander Lanaster, has accepted an offer from a planetary governor. The rewards for which are large enough to bring House Lanaster back from the brink of failure.
OOC
This chapter will be a small group game (no more than 6 players) focused on a small Rogue Trader boarding part getting their hands on a very valuable artifact. It will not be a very long chapter and will be focused on their fighting/surviving their way to the artifact's location and then escaping with it.

Chapter 1.5Sometimes There is No Choice
IC
The Mon-Keigh have once again foolishly taken that for which they were never meant to have. Were it something of lesser importance then perhaps it would be best to allow them to reap the bitter fruits they have sown. But that which they have will someday be of use to us and as such we must insure that they, in their ignorance, do not harm it.

We will do this by taking it from them!
OOC
This chapter will cover a group of Eldar taking the artifact from where it eventually winds up (no spoilers ;) ) and keeping it in their possession. It will be a very short game and have between 4-8 players. Its primary purpose is to illustrate where the artifact from the 1st chapter eventually wound up/is heading as well as to give players a chance to play some fun/non-Imperial characters for a few scenes. It is entirely optional. Meaning that when the time for it comes if there is not enough interest it may be skipped.

Chapter 2 Escape from Mollari IV
IC
Mollari IV was once a prosperous hive world who’s industrial facilities focused on the creation of small arms such as lasguns and laspistols for the Imperial Guard.  But that was in the past, and now it is in open revolt against Imperial authority.

A pacification force was sent to re-establish Imperial control of the planet. The existence of extensive Chaos cults upon the planet were confirmed within moments of the Imperial forces' landing and even more troubling was the fact that resistance was much stronger than expected....

The first wave of the planned attacks to retake the planet have failed and the Imperial forces are pulling back to re-evaluate their strategy. Now surviving loyalists upon Mollari IV must quickly attempt to escape before it is too late.

OOC
This will be a game for 6-10 players and will follow an Inquisitor and those members of the first wave of attacks that he has pressed into his service by use of his Inquisitorial Mandate. They will be attempting to escape Mollari IV in order to achieve a very important goal of the Inquisitor.

Chapter 2.5(Optional)Grim Tasks
IC
The Sons of The Emperor are a loyalist chapter of the Adeptus Astartes. And none have ever questioned their loyalty or ability to follow their orders and complete the tasks that need to be done. For they specialize in the hunting, suppression, and destruction of rebellious forces, planets, and ships. And an important task regarding Mollari IV has fallen to their 7th Company who find themselves being led by none other than their Chapter Master himself...

OOC
This chapter will be optional and will follow several members of the 7th Company as they take part in what some might call a distasteful task.  >:). This chapter will be very short and will mostly be used to set a bit of backdrop for Chapter 3 and provide insight into things that NPCs may reference during later Chapters. Also I warn you in advance, this one won't be pretty and will really illustrate the 'grim future of the 41st millennium'.

Chapter 3The Retaking of Yuan-III
IC
Yuan-III is a rebellious world, as if this were not bad enough. It is a fortress world. And as such the Imperial Guard's attempts at re-taking it have stalled to a stalemate that has lasted two decades. So formidable are this planet's defenses that an entire chapter of The Emperor's Space Marines has been dispatched to make an example of Yuan-III so that the fires of rebellion do not spread to other planets.

And so The Sons of The Emperor are deploying in their entirety. To take Yuan-III no matter the cost.

OOC
This Chapter will focus on the hallowed 1st Company of The Sons of The Emperor as they attempt to retake Yuan-III it will portray the key battles within the conflict as well as the effects that the battles(and the actions taking place in them) will have on the members of the company. Depending on interest I can see this game being anywhere from 5-10(ish) players with the possibility of more if I can get an assistant GM to help out.

Chapter 3.5(Optional)Fall of Miranda
IC
Miranda is a so called "natural world," one that has thus far been allowed to grow and evolve without major interference from the Imperium, and little more than another marker on the Imperium's star charts as far as most members of the galaxy are concerned. With both the enemies of man and the Imperium itself having no real levels of interest in the planet. Miranda  has never known the horrors of war, nor of any other form of strife that is so common throughout the worlds of the Imperium of Man until now......

Something has changed in Miranda's capital city, where once the Ecclesiarchy's cathedrals within the massive hive city would find themselves filled to the bursting point with each mass they now find empty seats. In the strategium and halls of the Governor Shaddam Vandis XII's palace of men and women whisper things which they wish none to hear.

Rumors have begun to spread, suspicious eyebrows have been raised and those who's loyalty to The Emperor is unshakeable have begun to worry that a time of great strife in which the fate of their very world will be decided is quickly approaching. And they are right, but if they only knew how right they were they would wish it was not so.....

OOC
Like the previous ".5 Chapters" this one will be optional and will illustrate the fall of Miranda to the forces of a Chaos cult. I think it would be quite fun to play characters who are part of a chaos Cult and as such I'm leaving the option open. This chapter will (if played) will also be the first chapter in which one of the worlds of Sub-Sector Lumaria comes under threat/into trouble.

Chapter 4The Vigilant Crusade
I.C.
Several disturbing reports have arrived from Sub-Sector Lumaria, reports of Chaos insurrection and a building Ork invasion to name but two. Given some of the important assets within the Sub-Sector, it has been determined that a Crusade is to be dispatched to secure, pacify, and protect Sub-Sector Lumaria from what ever would threaten it.

O.O.C.
Depending on the amount of interest that we have by this point. This game could be a rather large one or a smaller one. Either way it will represent several aspects of the Imperial armed forces attempting to save the worlds of Sub-Sector Lumaria from several different enemies of man.

Chapter 5Lumaria's Fate
I.C.
The final fate of Sub-Sector Lumaria

O.O.C.
This chapter will illustrate the final events surrounding the planets of Sub-Sector Lumaria, exactly what will happen and what sort of characters will be played will be determined by the combined successes and failures that occur through out the other chapters. But this will most likely be the largest game, if not the one where players have the most options as far as who they will be able to play. Ideally when the game makes it this far we will have more than enough momentum to see such an undertaking through ;D.

Here is a more in depth description of Chapter 1, as well as everything you'd need to create a character for it. More info will be provided for the other chapters as are reached.

Chapter 1 A "Lucky" Find

IC

The House Lanaster was once an extremely powerful  Rogue Trader dynasty, commanding its own fleet of ships as well as the untold amounts of wealth within their holds. But after the loss of their patriarch, most of their wealth, and all but one of their minor ships to a freak warp storm, that fact only serves to make the hardship the house has has come upon even more of an affront to their honor.

Forced to start from almost nothing House Lanaster's new leader, Lysander Lanaster, has accepted an offer from a planetary governor. The rewards for which are large enough to bring House Lanaster back from the brink of failure.

This offer is admittedly a strange one. The governor is in fact an avid collector of artifacts from all across the galaxy. His collection reputed to span the gamut from ancient Archeotech to Xenos relics. The current piece of interest to the governor, the very piece that House Lanaster has been commissioned to retrieve, is an ancient sword that has been confirmed as being aboard the Blightful Sight a massive space hulk who's location has recently been charted.

The Lanaster's 'flagship' Fortune's Lady has just minutes ago exited the warp in proximity to the space hulk. All that remains now is to retrieve their prize...

OOC

Limited Freeform
The game will be what I like to call limited freeform, this means that there will be no system used but there will be some limits placed on the character creation process (specifically on character's abilities and equipment) in order to maintain realism. In addition to this I ask that when players make posts relating to their interacting with NPCs/enemies they do not mod/control the world around their character. For example illustrating your character shooting at a cultist should go something like "my character shoots at the cultist, aiming for it's head' rather than "my character shoots at the cultist and hits it in the head."  The reason I ask for this is that it will allow me (as gm) to control the action without having to bring in an actual system.

Character Sheet & Character List
Here is a list of the open slots in the game
Rogue Trader Captain
First Mate
Master at Arms
Bridge Officer
Bridge Officer
Bridge Officer

Also I'll be GM'ing the game but I could really really use an assistant GM or two, this will in no way disqualify players from playing in the game though. If you're interested in an assistant GM position please let me know via pm or on here.

And here is the character sheet.

[float=left] Paste your character's Image here [/float]
[b]Name[/b]
[b]Species[/b] May be a Human, an Ork, a Kroot, a Mutant, or a Minor race provided that you can justify why they are working for a Rogue Trader
[b]Age[/b]
[b]Position[/b] What is your character's job on the crew?
[b]Personality[/b]
[b]Bio[/b]
[b]Wargear[/b] What equipment do they have?
[b]Abilities[/b] Are they a psyker? An expert shot? Good at repairs? ect.

I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Wargtass

Wow, I have to get in on some of these chapters. It looks awesome!  ;D

My prime interest lies in Chapter 1.5 (who could go wrong with Eldar?  :P), 2,5 (grimdark is king), possibly a return in 3 and finally 3,5. As for the rest I can drop in if players are needed (except the first chapter, have been playing Rogue Trader for 6 months straight and is a bit tired of it... :p).

I'll keep my eyes on this one, I'll be back once Chapter 1.5 starts rolling.  ;D
O/O

Sanai

Oh I love a good 40k rp, count me in. Might take the position of Rogue Trader or First Mate, will wait to make my character to see if anyone else wants the Trader.
What have I become?
My Sweetest Friend..
Everyone I know..
Goes Away in the End.
You Could have it All...
My Empire of Dirt
I will Let you down...
I will make you Hurt.

Not a Devil

Warhammer 40k? I'm definitely in!  ;D

For chapter 1 I think I'd apply for just bridge officer, *possibly* first mate if nobody else wants the position.

Silk

I'd be interested in playing, I am also able to co-gm if nobody else will want to do it :)

Raveled

O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

Urbanzorro

Glad to have the interest. Everyone feel free to start working up some characters ;D

And be sure to tell your friends!

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Raveled

I'm planning a mechanicus bridge officer. Hail to Omnissiah!
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

Urbanzorro

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

ryanmcallister80

I have a character in mind but he's more suited to being an Acolyte in an Inquisitor's retinue.

Urbanzorro

Name Lysander Lanaster
SpeciesHuman
Age 73 (Appears to be in early-mid 20s)
Position Rogue Trader
Personality Lysander can be called many things, and very few of them would not be accurate. He is determined, cunning, calculating, and self serving. His primary motives in any given situation are how the situation can be turned to benefit himself, and they Lanaster dynasty. 
Bio
Lysander is his father's 8th son. He was born to the man's 10th wife, a woman from a small world who's name Lysander was never even taught. His mother, Saura, was the daughter of the planet's Imperial Governor and Lysander's father's marriage to her was little more than a requirement of a deal that his father made with his grandfather.

Through out his life Lysander was raised as any other of his father's sons would be raised. Wanting for nothing and educated to the highest of standards. But he was also kept at a distance from his father. Both by his mother, until her death, who knew that her son was never going to rise very high in the ranks of the Lanaster family and by his own siblings who had no desire to entertain the possibility of another rival.

And so, when the warp storm took most of the Lanaster fleet the event was both a blessing and a curse for Lysander. On the one hand he had lost a father and family that he was at best estranged from as well as the vast majority of his family's wealth. But on the other hand he had been given something he would never have received otherwise. The chance to not only control his own destiny, but also that of his entire family line.
Wargear
Power Sword An advanced hand-to-hand combat weapon who's blade is sheathed in a field of energy which disrupts solid matter, allowing the weapon to tear through any armor, including even Terminator Armour.
Carapace Armor An armor that consists of large rigid plates of armaplas or ceramite molded to fit parts of the body. Carapace armour is stronger and thicker than Flak armor, and it gives the wearer more likelihood of surviving a direct impact with standard small-arms rounds It can range from complete armored suits like those worn by the Adeptus Arbites to individual pieces such as chest plates, helmets, etc. Lysander's armor consists of an ornate chest peace as well as shoulder pieces.
Bionic Targeters Lysander's right eye has been replaced by an extremely high level bionic implant which perfectly imitates Lysander's natural eye but is capable of much more than the human eye. During combat his eye serves as a targeter, greatly improving Lysander's aim.
Needle Pistol Needlers fire a needle of crystallized toxin. The weapons also make use of a form of laser technology in order to propel the toxic sliver, and to penetrate existing armor. The crystallized toxin dissolves almost immediately after penetration. The toxin is extremely fast-acting, taking effect in a matter of a few seconds. Silent, flash-less and concealable, it is ideal for all kinds of underhanded and secretive work such as assassination or doping and kidnapping.
Archeotech Laspistol Also known as a Gelt Gun. It is an ancient design of Laspistol with much greater range and power. Gelt Guns are extremely rare and very few people other than Rogue Traders or wealthy collectors even know they exist. As such they are regarded as statements of rank or status as much as they are regarded as weapons. Lysander's Gelt Gun is in fact a Lananster family heirloom that is said to have been given to his ancestor by The Emperor himself at the same time that Lysander's ancestor received The Warrant of Trade. Lysander is actually unsure of just how much charge his Gelt Gun possess and as such views it as little more than a weapon of last resort.
Las-Gauntlets Gloves that fit over the forearm and can fire salvos of long raking las beams (rather than short crisp las blasts that most las weapons fire). There is debate within the Imperium over whether they are of Xeno manufacture or of left over from the Dark Age of Technology. They are mostly used as playthings by rich nobles while hunting exotic prey, or are known to be used by some assassins as objects to frighten.
Teleporter Beacon An ancient piece of equipment that produces a signal which can be locked onto by Fortune's Lady's teleportorium in order to allow Lysander and those around him to be teleported back to the Fortune's Lady so long as they are within range of the Fortune's Lady's teleporters.
Compact Vox-Caster A miniaturized version of the same technology used by the Imperial Guard to communicate orders over long distances. Lysander's vox-caster is small enough to fit on his head in the form of a small earpiece and microphone. It will allow him to keep in communication with the Fortune's Lady while on the Space Hulk.

Abilities
Expert Swordsman Lysander is an extremely talented and well trained swordsman. He has a large level of natural talent that has allowed his sword skills to progress much further than those of most Imperial nobles who simply train with blades out of either tradition or boredom. 
Trained Shot While the use of guns comes nowhere near as natural to Lysander as the use of a blade he has had years upon years worth of practice and is a competent marksman.
Skilled Negotiator Due to his place in his family, Lysander was originally destined to rise no further than simply another member of the Lanaster dynasty and serve at most, as a negotiator. With that in mind his father saw to it that Lysander received extensive training in the art of negotiation making him a very good at getting others to do what he wants with little more than words.
Multi-Spectrum Scanning Lysander's bionic eye allows him to scan further into the light spectrum than the natural eye can. As such he can tap into both the ultra-violet and infra-red spectrum, as well as detect radiation levels.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Kevben Battleheart

The Saga of Battleheart (O/O's)The Vault of Victory  ♥
The World of Adalern (currently closed to critiquing)
Tell one your thoughts, but beware of two. All know what is known to three.
Thought for the week: Harden your soul against decadence, but do not despise it for the soft appearance of the decadent may be deceiving.

Urbanzorro

Glad to have you interested, feel free to post up a character.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

PaulBag101

Hey I'm new to E and am looking to get into some games.....

I've always like Warhammer 40K from afar (So not really know TOO much about it)
However this does spark my interests.....

Would this game still be open / Will to take on a newbie?
PaulBag - Gifted Freak

O&O's

Urbanzorro

We haven't started yet and yes we are still open. Feel free to post up a character. :)

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

PaulBag101

Is there any Specific Layout you want?

Anything I should Definitely Include?
PaulBag - Gifted Freak

O&O's

Urbanzorro

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

PaulBag101

Any Objection to me play a standard Bridge Officer that may have background in Advance Weapons Training???? or higher Weapons Training then Average Bridge Officer??
PaulBag - Gifted Freak

O&O's

PaulBag101

Or maybe try my Hand at the Master at Arms (Though cant guarantee I'll be too good)
PaulBag - Gifted Freak

O&O's

Urbanzorro

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

PaulBag101

Well the only reason I ask is cause I can't promise I'll do too well as Master at Arms......
PaulBag - Gifted Freak

O&O's

Urbanzorro

Feel free to take what ever slot you're most comfortable with.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

LordLuck

Would you accept and Adeptus Mechanicus Magos?

I'm really interested into taking a spot into this story, Zorro, if you'd be willing to accept another player. I was thinking this Mechanicum representatvie could be present as a part of the Quest of Knowledge, there to remind the good Rogue Trader of the Imperium's vows to deliver archeotechnology to the Mechanicum. Kinda begging him for time to study any findings, but could be a Technological advisor as well.

Can I? Please?  ;D
Mourning.

Urbanzorro

Of course, as of now most if not all the slots are still open so feel free :)

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Tamhansen

I'd be quite interested in joining as a Navigator if you're willing to accept her. If so I'll draw up her sheet later today.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.