Borrowing Elluiki Links?

Started by Autumn Sativus, June 07, 2009, 02:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autumn Sativus

Yesterday I used the link of my uploaded avatar (it's on the wiki) on another site, and I just got a rather pissed off PM from the site owner because my avatar now very obnoxiously says 'Adult Role Playing elliquiy.com'

Umm... what the heck?
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Greenthorn

I think it's because the wiki is meant to only host pics that are used on Elliquiy  ;)

I found this out over in PrP also!

Autumn Sativus

Right-o. I've noted it, but I think it might be a good idea to add this to an announcement or something... I was not impressed to have a pissed off admin on my ass before I even got started. >< Is there somewhere where this is indicated?
Us against the world

Greenthorn

Not that I saw...could be...I just found out the hard way when someone said..how come your avatar says Elliquiy on it  ::)

If they are not an E member..they won't see the pic..only the Elliquiy

Vandren

Check with Veks, but I think this happens because everything in the Image heading on the wiki is in the "members only" section.  This was set up because of the explicit nature of many AV and character pics uploaded to the site, since Veks set things up for a "general public" and "members only" usage.  Due to how wikis work, I don't think the Image section can be divided, or at least not easily.  But, don't quote me on that, Veks handles the behind the scenes coding stuff.

To the best of my knowledge, the effect is not spelled out anywhere, but we have stated in a few posts (such as Wiki Updates, I think) that the Image section is viewable by members only.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Vekseid

Quote from: Saffron on June 07, 2009, 03:35:34 PM
Right-o. I've noted it, but I think it might be a good idea to add this to an announcement or something... I was not impressed to have a pissed off admin on my ass before I even got started. >< Is there somewhere where this is indicated?

General intersite etiquette? I want Elliquiy's bandwidth to be used for Elliquiy. I implemented it back in 2005 because two members using it on an extremely active forum managed to suck nearly a gigabyte of my bandwidth in two weeks.

There is a thread somewhere but I forget if it's been buried. Yes, Elliquiy has had hotlinking protection for a very, very long time.

Autumn Sativus

-Nods- Righty then. I understand that it could become an issue with linking. Just didn't expect to be smacked with anger for an av I thought was fine. ><;
Us against the world

Vekseid

Quote from: Saffron on June 07, 2009, 06:35:35 PM
-Nods- Righty then. I understand that it could become an issue with linking. Just didn't expect to be smacked with anger for an av I thought was fine. ><;

Well if he doesn't believe it was an accident you can always have him try hotlinking any image on the front page of the site, for example.

To be frank, though, if Elliquiy didn't download hotlinked avatars anyway, I'd blame you too. :-p

Autumn Sativus

Quote from: Vekseid on June 07, 2009, 06:44:56 PM
Well if he doesn't believe it was an accident you can always have him try hotlinking any image on the front page of the site, for example.

To be frank, though, if Elliquiy didn't download hotlinked avatars anyway, I'd blame you too. :-p
I knew the blame would come back...

It's all your fault!

-Cries!-
Us against the world

Xillen

For your info, it's not very friendly to house an image on one side, and then use it on another side, without the first site's permission, even if the first site does not protect itself against hotlinking.

The reason that you saw your own avatar over there, while the others saw the hotlink image, was because you already had your own avatar in cache, so it displayed correctly for you. Refreshing a page might've given you the same view. If any of them were to open your avatar image in a separate window, they would see your actual avatar, and when browsing around on the other forum, keep seeing your actual avatar until they wiped their cache (assuming default browser settings).

Vandren

Quote from: Xillen on June 08, 2009, 03:38:41 AMIf any of them were to open your avatar image in a separate window, they would see your actual avatar, and when browsing around on the other forum, keep seeing your actual avatar until they wiped their cache (assuming default browser settings).

Actually, they wouldn't.  Unless they are signed up on Elliquiy and signed in on the wiki, due to the aforementioned restrictions on the wiki's Image category.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Vekseid

No, there's no protection against someone going directly to an image. I don't mind that quite so much because ten thousand people don't see it.

Vandren

As I recall, the Images category was made member only.  In fact, since I couldn't find the old PM, I just logged out and tried to view images on the wiki.  Each of four times, I got a "Sorry you must log in" message.

Will

Just copy/pasting the image address to the address bar?
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Vandren

That works . . . but you still show up as being logged in to the wiki, even if you've logged out.  (Just tried it.)

Vekseid

The url of the exact image is not restricted. Can't be otherwise, really. The image page is, of course, restricted.

Vandren

Ah, yes.  That makes sense.

Xillen

Not everyone on E is logged into the wiki. Heck, it would be really silly if new visitors would see all broken links for our avatars :P

Bliss

The imagestore for avatars is not the wiki space, so I don't think that would be a problem. :)
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Xillen

That is, if you upload your avatar in the forum directly. Not everyone does it that way. Same for signature images.

Either way, the hotlinking rule counts for all images on the E server, be they on the wiki or not.

Bliss

All the more incentive for them to become members, then. :D
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Xillen

I don't think it would really appear inviting. Your mileage may vary.

I wonder though, since opening the image directly would work, would people still be able to "upload" their avatar to different forums directly from Elliquiy?

Dakota

They would have to download to thier pc first as for actually uploading via a url i'm not sure if the hotlinking would prevent it, but then most forums don't have direct url uploading

Vekseid

Quote from: Xillen on June 11, 2009, 07:36:01 AM
I don't think it would really appear inviting. Your mileage may vary.

I wonder though, since opening the image directly would work, would people still be able to "upload" their avatar to different forums directly from Elliquiy?

If the forum software is what downloads the pics there's not really a whole lot I can do to stop that.

Dakota

You shouldn't even need to worry about that Vek as far as i'm aware only the oldest of forum software's have that sort of thing, for the user end anyway, and smf is the only software i've come across that uses it in the backend i.e the package install

Xillen

Quote from: Vekseid on June 12, 2009, 12:05:10 PM
If the forum software is what downloads the pics there's not really a whole lot I can do to stop that.

But if the forum software downloads the pic, it will do that only once and then host it itself, which really ain't no reason for concern.