Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM install trouble. Need help?

Started by Bayushi, September 08, 2009, 02:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bayushi

I downloaded the iso for the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM via the MSDN, and have had nothing but trouble installing it.

First, system specs.
  • Athlon64 x2 4200+
  • 4gb DDR2 in two 2gb modules
  • ASUS mainboard(hell if I know what model)
  • Random or other Lightscribe Dual Layer DVD+/-RW optical drive
  • 250gb Western Digital hard disk(7200rpm)
  • Realtek HD onboard sound
  • XfX 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition video adapter

The 250gb hard disc separated into a smaller 80gb partition with XP Pro SP3 installed, secondary partition opened up to install Windows 7, already formatted as NTFS.

That said...

I boot from the disk I burned from the iso, and tell the system to boot from optical disk.

Windows 7 does it's install thing, pointing to the secondary partition. It takes awhile(I eat dinner and wash some dishes before it completes), and tells me it needs to reboot. It does so, and I get a boot option screen, Windows 7 or Previous version of Windows. Obviously I'm going to choose 7 here.

It tells me it needs to configure, and it starts doing that. It needs to restart once again, and after it does, I get the boot loader once more. After selecting Windows 7, the hard disk spins up to load, but it black screens and does nothing.

It continued to do nothing for about ten minutes before I held down my system's power button and turned it off. I'm now back in XP Pro, and via Explorer, I can see Windows 7's files installed on the secondary partition.

I had a similar problem yesterday after trying to install over top of the old XP install, reformatting the drive to begin with. Except it didn't get to the configuration part after the first restart, instead black-screening on me at that point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Much thanks!

Soran

go into bios and change your boot disk priority to hard drive... try it, it may work, then again *shrugs*