The Prison Escape/When Darkness Falls (NC-H/NC-E)(Update *read my last post*)

Started by sleepingferret, August 08, 2008, 05:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleepingferret

QuoteEach of you, for your own reasons…be it to seek out greater glory, to seek riches, to spread the glory of your deity, to prove your worth as the greatest adventurer of all time; had set out from home to seek adventure.  Or so you thought…but each of you found yourselves confronted by similar black robed figures whose mere presence froze you in place, then WHACK!  All was dark, as your last sight was the black robed figure sapping you on the back of the head.

That was until; you awoke in this dark cold, semi-damp room.  You are not bound by chains or ropes, and the room is faintly lit by what your brief experiences have taught you to be faerie fire or some form there of, along the top edges of the room.  The only occupants of this dank room are you (the players) and a female human that appears to be in her mid 20s.

There appears to be a single black metallic door, but it has no real visible hinges and upon closer inspection it seems as if it slides into the walls themselves.

You have none of your equipment, save for the clothes on your back.  Though while it would seem you have your clothing in tact, the young woman in room does not share the same comfort.  She is wearing little more than what could be described as tattered rags, though she seems to be taking it in stride.

This is the introduction scenario from my latest Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 campaign.  It places a random group of 1st level adventurers together with an unknown woman, in a flight and fight situation.  But now the question is can this group first and foremost work together, and will their "forced" bonds of companionship hold if they manage to escape?

I have plans if there is enough interest to take the group immediately into the campaign itself.

House Rules - Character Creation

• All players begin with 300gp
  • All warriors types begin with a masterwork weapon of their choice and if necessary the exotic weapon proficiency for the weapon
  • All wizards begin with a dragonhide bound spellbook with a leather slipcase and either Spell Focus (any one school) or Spellcasting Prodigy (see Player's Guide to Faerun)
  • All sorcerers may select 2 additional spells known; these may be of ANY level.  But must be chosen before the start of the game.
  • Bards may opt for a masterwork instrument and skill focus(perform) or the warrior's masterwork weapon option
  • Rogues may opt for a masterwork thieves tool set and skill focus(disable device) or skill focus(open lock); or they may take the warrior's masterwork weapon option
  • Bards and rogues that opt for the masterwork weapon option (and that select a weapon for which they need a proficiency for receive that proficiency for free; this also applies to the exotic weapon proficiency feat which normally requires a base attack bonus of +1, that requirement is ignored only for purposes of their free weapon/feat)
  • The Duskblade class is not allowed
  • The Bladesinger prestige class is not allowed
  • Characters may be created with higher ECLs (such as drow, minotaurs, or tieflings), please ask me for details

House Rules - Rule Variants

• Bladesingers have been changed to standard character class, ask me for details (elf only, in keeping with old 2nd edition traditions)
  • Critical hits - When a natural 20 threat is followed by a natural 20 confirm, the player may roll a d20 again.  If the result is a natural 20 the defender dies. This rule is always subject to the DM's final ruling, and will never be invoked during fights of special significance.  But it does stand against the players as well.
  • Critical hits part 2 - Upon scoring a critical hit, the DM will roll a d20 and consult the critical hit chart.  The defender will then suffer the penalty listed, or the attacker may potentially gain a small bonus till the next round.
  • Critical fumbles - when a natural 1 is rolled, the attack must roll his attack again.  If the resulting attack roll would miss again, the DM will roll a d20 and consult the critical fumbles chart.  The player then suffers said penalty.

If I forgot anything, I'll edit this post or you can always ask me.

Optimally I'm looking for at least four players, larger groups are fine with me but I'm going to hold off from starting the game unless I have four committed players.

WARNING!!! Spoiler! --- Only for those wanting to know more about the actual campaign now ---- WARNING!!!! Spoiler!

When Darkness Falls, begins with the players having just escaped from the prison.  The young woman takes them to an adventuring academy, and there they will spend some time, while in the meantime a mysterious couple begin running an adventuring contest.  Word reaches the academy of this contest, and several graduating classes are never heard from again.  This starts to worry the academy who has a long standing reputation for being fairly well known, not that the recently graduated students were all that experienced...but still the situation doesn't set well with the academy's headmaster.  With your graduation drawing closer, you are pulled aside and told the truth behind the academy.

The academy was founded by an adventuring guild known only as the Travelers.  This guild has secretly protected the multi-verse, throughout the ages.  And now with darkness settling on Toril, they are stepping in.  "Whether or not, the Harpers or the like are aware of what is going on is beside the point... this we cannot ignore.  Toril it seems, just happens to be the battleground for now." 

SecreT

I have never gotten into D&D myself, but I'm so eager to start with it and this could be a great way to do so.
Please sign me in and could you point me out to the basic rules of this game version?
O&O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19326.0
All thoughts, all passions, all delights,
Whatever stirs this mortal frame,
All are but ministers of Love,
And feed his sacred flame.

sleepingferret

I'm sending an e-mail with a link to a file share with some .pdfs that should help you out.

sleepingferret

Allowed Source Books

• Any official Dungeons and Dragons source book
  • Forgotten Realms material
  • Eberron material
  • Oriental Adventures Handbook material
  • Book of Erotic Fantasy*
*Used strictly for new spells, classes, and prestige classes.  Any sexual based encounters will be role played, unless the situation specifically requires a skill check to use a special ability or in the case of a prostitute type character looking just to make money during "down time".

Character Creation

• 4d6 drop lowest arrange to taste for stats; in addition after you have your stats you may reroll ONE die from any of your resulting stats if you desire.*
  • Samurai class (use the Oriental Adventures version, yes I am aware the book was never updated to 3.5)
  • Deity selection (Use the Forgotten Realms pantheon, please ask me for help if needed)
*players may opt to roll for or may just assign their own appearance scores, i'm not going to be strict on this one

Note: If you have a doubt about a source, just ask me.

Ability Score Roll Example
3,5,3,2 [drop 2] = 11
3,1,3,4 [drop 1] = 10
5,4,4,1 [drop 1] = 13
6,3,4,2 [drop 2] = 13
5,4,6,3 [drop 3] = 15
4,5,5,3 [drop 3] = 14

Resulting Scores
3,5,3 = 11
3,4,3 = 10
5,4,4 = 13
6,3,4 = 13
5,4,6 = 15
4,5,5 = 14

Now the player has the option of rerolling any ONE die, if he/she chooses.  However, he/she must take the result even if lower.

Let's say he/she chooses to reroll the 3 from the 13 (6,3,4).

Final Scores
3,5,3 = 11
3,4,3 = 10
5,4,4 = 13
6,[5],4 = 15 [rerolled 3]
5,4,6 = 15
4,5,5 = 14

ECL Rules
A copy of the XP table for characters above ECL 0 can be found here.  These ECL rules are non-inclusive of your character class, so you may select up to an ECL 8 race and begin play with 1 character class level.

Jeramiahh

Mm... I've been itching for a good, old-fashioned low-level game, again. Not often I get to be the player. Are you allowing Tome of Battle classes? Psionics? Incarnum, or Tome of Magic? I want to try something unusual, so I need to know if you know what you're getting into with 'any official book'.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

sleepingferret

All sources mentioned are fine.  Just keep one thing in mind, as the majority of the game will be within Toril, psionics are basically just another form of magic.  They just can't be nullified by a "dead" magic zone. Nor can Mystra deny a psion his/her powers.

Jeramiahh

*nod* My first choice would be Tome of Battle... I've had a swordsage character who's only seen play in freeform games; she's yet to actually appear in a system game. =P

I'll see if I can sketch out a sheet, later.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Far eyes

I would be interested. Would you be ok with Tome of Magic I never got to play anything from it and I would kind of like to.
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

sleepingferret

Just to keep track for myself ----

Interested People/Character Concept
SecreT - ???
Jeramiahh - Swordsage
Far eyes - Shadowcaster (character sheet submitted; approved 8/11/08)

----------------------

I don't mind the use of the Tome of Magic, as I have looked through it....I just find them to be out of place.

Far eyes

I was thinking of a kind of dark sorceress type of character who seams a bit odd at times maybe misplaced. I am not shore about race but I was thinking one of the 3 (hell bread, human or Jabrin (MM5 albet a bit altered, without the silly bite and a bit changed looks) ) class wise I was thinking Shadowcaster witch is sort of interesting and I think can be kind of mysteries
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

sleepingferret

Updated (added ECL rule information)

Also for reference, that's 3 people...so one more and I'll have my minimum number that I said I'd begin with.  I'd optimally prefer 5 - 8, but a group of 4 will be fine.

Due to the beginning nature of the game, once it begins I will not be accepting additional players until after the prison break scenario.  Or at least until a certain point in it is reached.  Or after the actual campaign begins.

Officially speaking, new players have until I "sign off" on all characters of players wishing to join.  Anyways, again one more player and it looks like we're good to go.

Oh and just as last quick quip, I personally don't have any personal preference for what you use for a character sheet format, just has to be easy to read.  And from time to time I'll just have you include relevant aspects as part of your post so you nor I have to always reference your sheet.

sleepingferret

Oh and yes I realize you will be starting without your starting equipment, without the masterwork weapon I'm offering you...or without your spellbook, etc etc (as noted in the introduction to this game).

However, please do create your characters as if that wasn't the case.  You will have a chance to retrieve said items.

sleepingferret

Quick note for any spell casters:

All spellcasting types should also have spell component pouches if they are expecting to cast any spell with a material component.  For spells with an actual price attached to the component, such as the Identify spell...for simplicity sake as long as the caster has the material component's value in coin on him he may cast the spell.  He must just subtract the cost from his available funds.

Josietta

Upon Approval I might be interested. How do you feel about Astral Deva's? or Ghael?

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

sleepingferret

For something as high up on the chart as the Astral Deva or Ghaele, you'd be looking at the 20 level racial progression chart and essentially not have a character class, until you reached 21st level.

sleepingferret

Status Update
As of 8/14 20:00 CST (8 pm):

• Far eyes - Shadowcaster(Character submitted and approved)
  • Jeremiahh - Swordsage (awaiting character submission)
  • Josietta - posed question, and expressed possible interest.
Again my goal would be to have at least four players but if I could get at least 3, I would at the agreement of the players begin the game.

Due to the nature of how this story will begin, those who follow the game and later decide to express interest in joining may discuss doing so with me.  However, in the beginning portions there will be only certain points in the plot that new characters can be introduced.  Should the game spill over and continue on into my campaign to which this scenario is the introduction for, then bringing in new characters becomes a bit easier and more flexible.

Josietta

Quote from: sleepingferret on August 12, 2008, 04:40:55 AM
For something as high up on the chart as the Astral Deva or Ghaele, you'd be looking at the 20 level racial progression chart and essentially not have a character class, until you reached 21st level.

Yes they are pretty high up for class attainment, but their inherent racial abilities more than make up for it. Being an ECL 20  does cramp things in the first few levels. I may just head in the Elven Fighter direction, for ease of system usage on both you and myself.

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Far eyes

I think Savage species has a development table for Ghaele

A/A

Josietta

Quote from: Far eyes on August 15, 2008, 03:18:26 AM
I think Savage species has a development table for Ghaele

You would be correct! But the xp division would be a little crazy with an ECL of that level with other varying classes. Besides a Ghaele is not exactly the strongest link in the first 4-5 levels. Now if we had a cleric on top of the Ghaele that might work. But I'm a fighter girl and I was thinking I could probably do well with that class. You can never have too many fighters.

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

sleepingferret

I can manage the use of the Savage Species supplement.  Your only disadvantage is going to be that you'll be "classless" until 21st level by playing a Ghaele.

Oh since it has been mentioned, just a quick quip about the Savage Species...since it was never updated for 3.5; I will compare the entries of a race in question from the MM 3.0, the MM 3.5, and the Savage Species.  Adjustments will be made accordingly; for example the Rakshasa's damage reduction in 3.5 is now X/good and piercing, and they can no longer be instantly slain by a blessed crossbow bolt.

But back to the playing a Ghaele...or for that matter any race that is ECL 9 or more.  Standard monster level progression as per the Savage Species supplement, normal XP progression 0,1000,3000,6000,etc; and until you have all your monster levels for that race you will not have a character class.

So for the Ghaele, again at 21st level you could take your first level as a cleric.  Epic progression rules of course come into play at this point, except that you may not have the perquisites for epic feats (particularly ones pertaining more towards your class).

sleepingferret

Quote from: Josietta on August 14, 2008, 08:35:26 PM

I may just head in the Elven Fighter direction, for ease of system usage on both you and myself.

See either the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, and Races of Faerun for subraces if so desired.  Again, if any notable difference is shown between these  3.0 books and the 3.5 MM listing, adjustments will be made accordingly.  I'm fairly certain for the simple elf, dwarf, human, halfling, orc, etc there wasn't any changes though.

Josietta

Quote from: sleepingferret on August 15, 2008, 01:00:28 PM
See either the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, and Races of Faerun for subraces if so desired.  Again, if any notable difference is shown between these  3.0 books and the 3.5 MM listing, adjustments will be made accordingly.  I'm fairly certain for the simple elf, dwarf, human, halfling, orc, etc there wasn't any changes though.

The Kalamar setting book as well as Savage Species I believe, have a more detailed description of various elves (grey, high, wood, etc). So If you are okay with that, I could go that route. And just as something I want to toss out there, I do have a good amount of 3.5 books, and a couple 3.0/D20 books (IE Ultimate Feats, Ultimate Divine Spells). Are there any books that you are not allowing?

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

sleepingferret

Quote from: Josietta on August 15, 2008, 01:11:15 PM
The Kalamar setting book as well as Savage Species I believe, have a more detailed description of various elves (grey, high, wood, etc). So If you are okay with that, I could go that route. And just as something I want to toss out there, I do have a good amount of 3.5 books, and a couple 3.0/D20 books (IE Ultimate Feats, Ultimate Divine Spells). Are there any books that you are not allowing?

The Savage Species only lists the ECL of most every playable race.  The book itself does not describe any "standard" race in detail.

The Kingdom of Kalamar racial entries are far enough off base from their respective monster manual entries, that it doesn't benefit a player in anyway to cite said setting as a source.  For example, both deep gnomes and dark elves under core 3.5 rules have spell resistance and spell-like abilities.  The Kingdom of Kalamar setting removed these.

So for elves, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings refer to the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting or Races of Faerun for information.

If you honestly can't find a feat or spell you need/like between the entire Complete series (Complete Adventurer, Complete Mage, etc), both Player's Handbooks, and any other relevant book with the official D&D logo on it pertaining to your class/character concept, then talk to me about said feat or spell.

The Quintessential series (for both races and classes) by Mongoose publishing was written fairly decently.  However, please do check with me before using any material from these books.

Far eyes

A/A

Josietta

I was wondering when rolling up abilities are you doing the stats like they used to do in 1st Ed or are you allowing for us to place the rolled stat into whatever ability we want?

IE:

lets say this was my list; would i need to place them as is or may i arrange them how i want:

14  (Str)
12  (Dex)
11  (Con)
18  (Int)
14  (Wis)
13  (Cha)

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas