The Ashes of Sterne (Medieval/Fantasy/Gothic Interest Check)

Started by Darkmoon, March 30, 2013, 12:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

Game Rules and Basics: This will be a freeform game with some dice rolls if deemed necessary by the DM. Original, low-technology fantasy setting with traditional Tolkienesque / D&D style races.  A broad world exists around this setting and the DM (myself) can answer any questions at any time. A strong grasp of the English language, grammar, and vocabulary are mandatory to ensure a high quality narrative for all involved. Post lengths can vary depending on reasonable allowances of game world time for players and NPCs to respond or react. Players are encouraged to write to their heart's content. Breaking off from central locations or groups is allowed and as DM I will accommodate this and create posts that cater to any specific player's pursuits, including players who want to play on opposing sides. Character death is final unless players discover an IC avenue to resurrection. Dedicated players sought. Players who fail to participate regularly will be written out by the DM w/ reasonable explanations that should not impede on re-entry at a later date or impede upon how that player wants to play that character overall. The overall tone of this game is dark and dangerous, but players are encouraged to bring their personalities to the game and overall: have fun! An OOC thread will be run simultaneously to the IC game thread.

Synopsis: The city now known as Old Sterne was once a bounteous and untroubled locale in the western plains of Bath. It enjoyed the fruits of trade and fertile soil that fed many peoples, both domestic and foreign, and was the seat of guilds with ties to lands as far away as Grand Fal and the Osirion wastes. All of that changed with the invasion of Victorum Trent of Grand Fal and his attempt at creating an empire across two continents. When the families and governance of Sterne resisted, Trent laid siege to the city. Unable to breech its walls, Victorum waited out his enemy in a war of attrition, cutting off the city's supply routes and access to its fields. What resulted was plague and pestilence, and many years of stalemate. Within the walls of Sterne, a darkness rose amidst the suffering.

Rumors and revised histories are all that remains of Old Sterne, and throughout the life of Victorum and into the reign of his bastard son and successor, Taenar "The Wolf King" Thorne, a militarized ban has been placed on the territory around the city. To this day, very few souls have seen what remains of the city... until now. A violation of a peace treaty between the Kingdom of Raythire in the North and Nautilus, Thorne's imperial seat in Bath in the South, has resulted in a mass exodus of soldiers from Old Sterne's perimeter to new appointments in New Sterne, the young city built to replace it many leagues to the west. Deeming it key to hold the town of New Sterne against any threats from the North, the Empire has left very few to enforce the ban of entry into Old Sterne. Rumors have flown across Bath, and treasure hunters, raiders, and all sorts have heard inkling that there is a very old city that has been blocked off for years, sitting and waiting for looting and discovery on the plains. Some remember its glory, others remember the name, and some will just leap on any opportunity to find treasure.

Whatever has brought you to the drinking hole at an outpost five miles southeast of the old city, you are sure to meet others with their own motives for sneaking into the Old City. Are you a descendant of Sterne, returning to investigate what happened to your family or your people? Are you a rogue, out to skulk through the tall, gothic houses? The secrets of Sterne are rich and deep, along with the Empire's never explained reasons for blocking off the city. Will you pick through the ashes and discover the truth?

Finally: Please feel free to ask any questions here or PM me directly. All potential players must submit a character sheet providing at least the following: Name. Race. Class. Exact height and general idea of weight. Special talents, if any. Strengths and weaknesses. Please feel free to ask me in PM if you have any questions about lore, such as deities or racial locales, if you want to narrow down your history or context.

Ack Arg

Huh, This is really neat. It's got that dark ages, post-Rome feeling. Two questions:
> Setting: What should we be familiar with besides Tolkien and D&D? (Non-fiction topics, Fiction, other sources.)
> Style: Are we leaning towards a diceless tabletop adventure, a jumbled novel like the George R. R. Martin stuff or something else?

Unless I'm off the mark for flavour, I'm thinking of an archeological expedition that loses its leadership along the way. I guess that's more like "NPC basecamp in the Walnut Street Chapel" than a real character idea but it never hurts to think out loud.
Returning after long... long hiatus. May be slow to find a rhythm.

NicciKotor

This is interesting. What sort of race archtypes are you looking for?
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

Hali

I'd be interested in exploring this, sounds like a great idea.

TheHangedOne

I'm interested. I have a... request for more information.

I'd like to get some basic ideas about the history of the continent, other surrounding areas, guilds, etc. Or, are we allowed, as players, to take some creative license with such things like the Osirion Wastes?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!