Warhammer - Paths of the Damned (Ex)

Started by LizzieV, December 09, 2017, 09:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizzieV

Hello everyone! As someone who rather enjoys the warhammer setting I've had the idea to do a slightly modified more extreme modified version of warhammer going from the initial intro adventure in the back of the core book forwards through the ashes of middenhiem campaign. If there are enough interested players then I think it could turn into a rather fun (well for the players, probably not the characters since it is warhammer) little game. I'm going to go through the general game checklist  thing from the GM Corner area and then some house rules I have afterwards including which ones will be up for discussion and which ones are set in stone.

Current Threads
OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279514

Game:

• Section and System:
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and the Extreme section. It is very difficult to describe the sorts of things chaos does and maintain a grimdark world outside of it if I have to constantly worry about what section I'm in.

• Who is the RP open to? (Gender, Sexuality, etc..?) 
I don't care what your gender is so long as you have one. Male, female, shemale, herm, trans. Sexuality-wise I do not care either, straight, gay, asexual, bi, pan, romantically involved with your horse. The only issue you'll have is attracting chaos gods with some stuff.

I really don't care that much about what your character is sex/gender/sexuality wise. The only restriction for your character is furry characters are really not going to be available due to the setting. My apologies to those who want to play them but unless you have an extremely good way of concealing your nature it will generally be assumed you are a mutant or beastman and executed for fear of chaos corruption.

In addition I will favor players who are comfortable playing multiple genders and sexuality if needed. If you are transformed by chaos in some way or mentally altered by an insanity during play I would like if you could handle that even if you have to 'fade to black' to deal with detailed naughty scenes.

Also, as a sentient coffee cup I don't care about the sex or gender of who is behind the screen since I know everyone wants to drink me already. I only care about the characters. If you can't handle not knowing a player gender or hate the idea of cross-playing then please do not apply to the game since I will not go trying to filter the rest of the party to make you feel better. As a legate just assume I'm whatever combination makes you most uncomfortable and move along and I wish you the best of luck finding a game you will enjoy.

• Short Summary of Player Roles and General Story/Plot.
I'm looking for characters who want to be heroes and want to fight the chaos gods, not join them. Players will want to direct their characters to actually going along with the adventure to a degree. If your first response to having to help a group of refugees get out of the war torn town you start in is 'Not interested, I am going to go into the forest and look for elves' then I will let your character go into the woods, die off screen, and find a replacement player. While I will work with players so they can rp their characters if you are obstinate about playing in the campaign I have from the start then you are looking for a pure sandbox game. This isn't that. I have modules and I'm running them so I expect people to have some buy in to the premise when they join. Player agency in the game is how you pursue the plot and deal with all of the tribulations or come up with new interesting ways to solve the problems. I can generate new scenes and ways to move the game forward but there is a difference in redoing some scenes due to a fun idea and redoing an entire campaign because someone isn't interested in it.

• Setting.   
It's Warhammer Fantasy. It's listed in the core book and since it's a system game if you don't have at least a pdf copy then this is not a game for you. I don't mind helping teach someone the rules or the like but I do require you at least be able to flick through some pages to know the setting.

• Plot Outline.
The very general story is that the players will start in a town that has recently been assaulted by beastmen. Events will occur leading the PCs to help bring the refugees to Middenhiem for safety. During the journey events will cause the players to be spurred forth on a quest dealing with a holy relic and the forces of chaos, hopefully gaining fame and fortune or at the very least fortune on the way.

• Character creation info/guidelines if any.
Core Book only. If you ask about non-core stuff during creation the answer is no and I will refer you to this. The non-core items I've considered including are listed after this section and are either non-mechanical fluff so people without extra books are not at a disadvantage or are items that every person in the game will have to agree to in order for it to be included.

• Required Resources (If any) (If a system game - What books(ver.) or links to information needed such as an online guide or wiki?)
You need the Warhammer Fantasy 2nd edition book or pdf.

• Game Pacing.
I'm fairly lax about requiring something specific. Sometimes I find myself able to post several times a day if needed and sometimes I can only manage one a week. I prefer more available posting than less but when RL happens it happens.

• How much sexual activity is likely to occur or expected, if any?
It may vary. I expect it to show up as set dressing. If you rescue villagers from bandits, beastmen, or cultists they are going to have been doing things that will likely make you want to slaughter them rather than capture them for trial or what have you.

Full on sex scenes should occur in a sort of 'time dilated' thread so sex can occur without stalling the main plot. I don't want two people sneaking into the bushes making everyone wanting to go talk to people for an investigation to be forced to wait because 'everyone would be there' and two people take a few weeks to deal with twenty minutes of banging.

• Whether tagging will be used or not.
I haven't generated any tag templates and am not likely to bother. A player may optionally tag their post in some manner should they desire to do so.

Game Master Info / GM(s) Participation Level (If/where applicable)

• Will there be a Co-GM?
Not currently. I don't plan on running split groups or multiple groups at this time.

• How guided will the play be(sandbox, directed etc)?
It's an adventure. I'll be adjusting it and am open to some adjustments but it's directed play.

• What extent will players be allowed to create/use environment or setting details?
I will be describing the environment and players can use it. If you want to create an environment detail then you'll have to ask me before hand if it exists. No 'but suddenly I found a skeleton with a sword/gold pouch/whatever'.

• How NPC's will be handled. (If any) - (By GM and/or players, and what expectations)
I will be  handling NPCs.

• How active will the GM be?   
I post anywhere from a few times a day to once a week typically. I attempt to remain active and engaged but there are days where I do not have the time.

• Will there be an OOC thread? (expectations of thread usage)
If we have 3+ players interested in this then I intend to have an OOC thread players can use to discuss plans OOC, the game, or use otherwise to talk with the other group members.

• How to contact/approach GM with questions? (use OOC thread, direct PM, etc...)
PM me with questions. If you think other players might have the answer you can ask in OOC but the best way for me to know if you have a question is to send a message. It will be easier for me to notice, find, and answer it.

• How will decisions be resolved?
In game it's a system game meaning I'll say yes, no, or rolling for it typically.

• Will PvP be allowed (if applicable)?
At my discretion and will likely also require the other player agreeing to it baring extenuating circumstances. I don't want the game to devolve because one player wants to steal loot or other players things all the time. If you want to join so you can fuck with the other players constantly from start to finish this is not your game.

Additional:

• Player Oath "Oath of the Drake" or some other reminder of player responsibilities in a group game.
It's a group game. We're all out to have fun. If something is not fun it can be discussed and depending on what the issue is sometimes it's easy to change and sometimes it just means we've discovered the game/player/gm isn't compatible and while disappointing it happens. People on both sides of the screen just want to have fun and I'd like to think we can walk away if we have to. Bring up your concerns to me and we'll try to resolve them as amicably as possible.

• A note to Respect Other players (Offs etc..)
Do remember to check the stuff and communicate when dealing with these things. In addition any non-consensual scenes between players will need the permission/discussion of content done in a PM between those involved and myself. This isn't so I can restrict content but to ensure that whatever happens isn't going to affect the progression of the game in a significantly negative way and so I know who and how many corruption/insanity points to apply to those involved.

• On/Offs in main thread non-sex focused scenes
While I will check your on/offs before doing any direct sex scenes with you and discuss them I will not check them for doing dungeon set dressing. If the idea of walking on a chaos cult holding a dog orgy and just seeing that when you walk into the room makes you not want to play then do not play this game. If you think that having 'no amputation' or 'death' on your never list will mean a critical hit cutting off a limb doesn't apply to you then this is not your game. Insanity, corruption, mutation, and transformation is part of the system and if you cannot handle that do not sign up. If you have a lot of things on your 'never' list that apply in non-sexual situations I will likely not accept you in the game since I don't want to have to check everyone every time you invade a beastman or skaven den.

I'm being as up front about this as I can and I will discuss this in detail with any player to determine if it's a sexual on/off or just a any situation on/off to determine if the game is compatible or not. I do not want to make anyone uncomfortable in this game but I don't want to have to stifle the horror of what chaos is and will do to each other and their captives.

• Player Participation Expectations. (Posts/week expected. Methods for reporting a possible absence/The method used to remove drop-outs from the game.)
I expect at least a post a week to keep the game moving. I would prefer more, especially during combat, to keep it going.

• Post Length
There is no set minimum or maximum. I prefer more detail than less and do favor longer posts if possible but when you are having a conversation between multiple people sometimes you only need to put in what is being said. Not every single line of dialog needs to have a small treatise on just how your face and stance changed or how during the few seconds it takes to say your words there was an inner monologue covering the entire backstory of the dwarven races every time you ask for a beer.

• Discuss how new players will be brought into the game (if the game is already running.)
Not currently applicable.

• What Writing style/POV. (Third person, first person, past, present, omniscient, etc...)
Third person will be used. This is not negotiable. I cannot easily process switching between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in roleplay and it works the easiest for me in groups since I can more easily tell who is talking. I do not care if tense is past or present and I prefer a sort of omniscient writing style. I want to know what your character is thinking and feeling.

House Rules

Set in stone
  • Character creation is core rules only and randomized, including your starting career, rolled on site
  • Name, Height, Weight, Hair and eye color, and distinguishing marks do not have to be random but you may roll them if you like
  • You will roll number of siblings, age in years, star sign, and birthplace
  • If you want to use a career exit not in your career list you will need to have in game justification via roleplay in addition to the 200 xp. Depending on the career this may or may not be trivial.
  • You are being watched by the chaos gods, pursuing excess violence, deviant sexual activity, or purposefully spreading disease may result in additional corruption or insanity. What is excess violence? Needless extreme slaughter (kill them all and let god sort them out) or torture. What is deviant sexual activity? If wouldn't fit on the light or bondage boards it's probably attracting a chaos god.
  • I will be keeping track of each characters insanity and corruption points. You will not know how far along you are to being twisted or transformed until it is too late. In addition I am not limiting myself to the books for insanity or transformation, primarily to at least cater to players who enjoy the idea of transformation with a slide into corruption they will struggle to resist. I will listen to requests for directions someone might want to take mental and physical transformations and figure out the specifics that might occur if need be.
  • The world is grim and dark and NC reflects that. Participating in an non-consensual act may earn you anything from an insanity point all the way to a full blown insanity.
  • If you are dragged off or knocked out and forced to spend a fate point to survive, depending on the circumstances you may optionally play out the abuse your character will suffer and if they manage to escape the situation via the roleplay then you may be able to regain the fate point in exchange for other consequences specific to the circumstances, e.g. if you get captured by beastmen and endure the depravity (we will discuss the content via pm) and manage to escape during the opportunities provided then a possible consequence is regaining the fate point alongside an unending hatred for even the species the beastmen up to and including frenzy inducing rage or a transformation or some other mental/physical alteration.
  • I will be rolling all perception checks myself so I will need a breakdown of that skill and your traits that alter it.
  • Combat is a narrative style. I'm not creating map images, updating them with tokens, and linking them every single round. I don't have that kind of time. Players will include any situation modifiers to their skills they used if they roll something, e.g. list applicable aiming/talents/weapon bonus so I can confirm if something was missed
  • Combat isn't posed in a particular order, everyone poses once in the round and I'll describe how everything resolves.

Rules up for discussion/requiring a vote

These are things that will need to be decided on, some are ideas just to speed up play. All these will either be on a per player basis or require group consensus to exist.

• GM makes all the rolls with players describing actions outside of something a player can get an immediate result for, e.g. combat roll on a player's turn. This makes it easier to handle things like reflexive toughness tests. I can optionally display the roll and difficulty to the player when I pose what happened so they know how effective particular things were.
  • If an avoid/parry roll is required the GM will attempt to dodge the successful attacks in the order they are dealt to prevent having to go back and forth with those extra rolls.
  • Gold Coins will be described by where they are minted, exchange rates will apply when applicable and no, I will not just use the one in the old world armory and expect everyone to have the book. This rule adds some flavor but in my experience just makes it more complicated to manage coins so this will not be used unless the players all desire it.
O/O

wander

I'm in, this is just what I've been looking for.  XD

Arcanist

I am definitely in.

Played both miniature gaming versions of fantasy and 40K. Love the setting.

Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

torawashi

I'm definitely in. Rolling up a dude as we speak.  ;D

LizzieV

If you all would like to go ahead and roll your characters you may. Since it has been asked via elsewhere: Shallya's Mercy is on a single stat as per normal by the book generation, likewise on page 20 you may optionally roll twice and pick one of two options. There will be no additional opportunities to select a career past those maximum two options to start so if you roll camp follower twice then that's what you are.

I've just created an ooc thread for it here
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279514.0
to begin discussion of things and introducing characters, getting through questions and so forth. While full character backgrounds are optional they are strongly encouraged along with anything specific you would like to suggest appear at some point during the campaign if I find a spot to stuff it in.
O/O

wander

I'll bookmark the ooc thread, would you like characters rolled and shown here or there? :)

LizzieV

Go ahead and place them in the ooc thread.
O/O

wander

Cool. It's late here, though when I'm settled in tomorrow I'll get to rolling and post what I get in the ooc thread.

I'm very excited to play!

Muse

Good evening.  This is a really neat set up.  do you still have room for another? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

LizzieV

O/O

Terian

Hmm, I do like my Warhammer Fantasy.  I'll toss some dice to see if I get a character I'd be interested in, and fill it out if that happens.

Belisuavious

This is very tempting, are you still accepting players?

LizzieV

O/O

schnookums

Well, I'm about to finish the real life madness that is Open Enrollment (I sell health insurance) and if I could submit a character this weekend I'd love to join as well, I've not played WFRP in like...decades (which means I'd have to figure out how the current system works, but that's something I could manage)

wander

2nd edition is super similar to 1st edition with just a few tweaks to play smoother, if that helps at all. I used to own both editions and I think outside of Magic, not much was all that different really. Should make it easy to pick up.

LizzieV

Quote from: schnookums on December 13, 2017, 10:57:44 PM
Well, I'm about to finish the real life madness that is Open Enrollment (I sell health insurance) and if I could submit a character this weekend I'd love to join as well, I've not played WFRP in like...decades (which means I'd have to figure out how the current system works, but that's something I could manage)

Sure, go ahead and get a character crafted.
O/O

LizzieV

O/O