Magic: The Gathering (Discussion)

Started by Dimir, January 06, 2015, 07:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeklet

Quote from: CountessJess on February 05, 2015, 07:51:46 PM
If you want cheap ways to win, try running these cheap cards.

Mikeaus, the Unhallowed + Triskelion
Bloodchief Ascension + Mindcrank
Magus of the Coffers + Sword of the Parun + any X spell
Exquisite Blood + Sanguine Bond

Your friends will love loathe you for playing them.

Fixed it for you. ;)

Funny story though. I was playing against a guy who had the Bloodchief/Mindcrank combo on the board. He was all "Yeah, good game guys, looks like I win." Except he didn't realize the Bloodchief Ascension wasn't active yet. And promptly got killed by everyone.

Hemingway

My girlfriend has an EDH deck running Erebos as a Commander. It's sick. It's where I pulled a lot of the demons from, too. The deck has lost some its punch recently, I'm not sure why - but it has incredible card drawn between Erebos, Bloodgift, Underworld Connection, and ... probably a few others.

Oh, and try an even cheaper ( and hilarious ) way of winning, which someone at the local store shared with me. You will need:

1 x Midnight Guard ( Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, untap Midnight Guard )
1 x Ornithopter ( 0 mana creature )
1 x Retraction Helix ( tap: return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand )
1 x Altar of the Brood ( Whenever another permanent enters the battlefield under your control, each opponent mills one card )

... the patience to tap Midnight Guard as many times as it'll take, and .. well, enough luck that they don't have the necessary removal ( that could be cast when Ornithopter enters play ). It'd be hilarious to pull off, though. Imagine it set to hilarious music.

CountessJess

Quote from: Hemingway on February 06, 2015, 06:04:00 AM
My girlfriend has an EDH deck running Erebos as a Commander. It's sick. It's where I pulled a lot of the demons from, too. The deck has lost some its punch recently, I'm not sure why - but it has incredible card drawn between Erebos, Bloodgift, Underworld Connection, and ... probably a few others.

Oh, and try an even cheaper ( and hilarious ) way of winning, which someone at the local store shared with me. You will need:

1 x Midnight Guard ( Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, untap Midnight Guard )
1 x Ornithopter ( 0 mana creature )
1 x Retraction Helix ( tap: return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand )
1 x Altar of the Brood ( Whenever another permanent enters the battlefield under your control, each opponent mills one card )

... the patience to tap Midnight Guard as many times as it'll take, and .. well, enough luck that they don't have the necessary removal ( that could be cast when Ornithopter enters play ). It'd be hilarious to pull off, though. Imagine it set to hilarious music.

Midnight Guard is white.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: CountessJess on February 06, 2015, 06:46:48 AM
Midnight Guard is white.

This^

Hardest EDH deck to make and probably most expensive is colorless. >.> Cause if you run colorless general you have to run colorless mana producing land.

And there is also some infinite mana combo in standard with omnithopter, helix, that stupid hexproof plant creature that generates any color mana and I think they need ascendancy. Can't remember all pieces, but someone tried to do it to me and I just burned the thopter on the stack.  Or they may just try to infinite buff their creature(s) doing it, can't remember which.

Also in modern people have bad habit of doing similar combo, but they will just blood you.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Hemingway

I was not giving advice on your deck. :P

EDIT: Oh! How could I forget - Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is pretty insane.

CountessJess

Quote from: Drake Valentine on February 06, 2015, 07:39:36 AM
This^

Hardest EDH deck to make and probably most expensive is colorless. >.> Cause if you run colorless general you have to run colorless mana producing land.

And there is also some infinite mana combo in standard with omnithopter, helix, that stupid hexproof plant creature that generates any color mana and I think they need ascendancy. Can't remember all pieces, but someone tried to do it to me and I just burned the thopter on the stack.  Or they may just try to infinite buff their creature(s) doing it, can't remember which.

Also in modern people have bad habit of doing similar combo, but they will just blood you.

Jeskai Ascendancy combo is beautiful, but incredibly unreliable. Normally people would play multiple rattleclaw mystics and astral cornucopia instead, which I think is somewhat more resilient. Modern combo is far more reliable and is a good contender with Storm. Don't call them bad habits, they're so beautiful.

Quote from: Hemingway on February 06, 2015, 08:48:12 AM
I was not giving advice on your deck. :P

EDIT: Oh! How could I forget - Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is pretty insane.

Ob Nixilis, Unshackled together with Maralen of the Mornsong =D

Dimir

Quote from: CountessJess on February 06, 2015, 01:48:16 PM
Ob Nixilis, Unshackled together with Maralen of the Mornsong =D

Oh good god, I already have Ob Nixilis, Unshackled. I'll keep my eye out now for Maralen of the Mornsong. Brutal as hell.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

CountessJess

Today I managed to pull off an incredibly silly combo in my Jenara EDH today. Hive Mind was in field, everyone was enjoying its shenanigans except for the Thassa player who couldn't counterspell anything, which is good. Elesh Norn hit the field and survived a turn (everyone was united in destroying the Narset player who had used Brainstorm to place an Omniscience on the top of the deck, and Elesh Norn was my contribution towards killing a Narset equipped with two Swords of X and Y). My next turn I cast Enduring Ideal into Dovescape. Now everyone got seven birds at their upkeep, but mine were 3/3 while theirs were killed by Elesh Norn. The rest of the table conceded when they couldn't take the might of my bird tokens.

New broken combo: Elesh Norn + Hive Mind + Enduring Ideal + Dovescape.

Hemingway

If you manage to pull off a combo of 4 expensive cards, you pretty much deserve to win. ;D

I mean, even with Dovescape in play, there are plenty of answers. Unless people forgot to bring their utility creatures.

CountessJess

No, they can't do anything about Dovescape, because due to Hive Mind, the only thing they're ever casting is an Enduring Ideal - which gets countered by Dovescape! Perfect control!

I know, I know, it's a ridiculously silly thing that happened and I doubt I'll ever pull it off again. But it was fun =D

Drake Valentine

Merciless Eviction would be my answer.

Edit: Never-mind, read it wrong, it was noncreature spell. Hmm.

Only creature with ETB of blowing up anything I can think of is Acidic Slime. Not sure of any other creatures with anti permanent or enchantment ETB.

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Dimir

Also, Modern Masters 2015 comes out on May 22. So far only two cards in the set have been revealed, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and Etched Champion.

http://www.magicspoiler.com/modern-masters-2015/

CountessJess

Quote from: Drake Valentine on February 07, 2015, 07:35:24 PM
Merciless Eviction would be my answer.

Edit: Never-mind, read it wrong, it was noncreature spell. Hmm.

Only creature with ETB of blowing up anything I can think of is Acidic Slime. Not sure of any other creatures with anti permanent or enchantment ETB.

They can't. Once Enduring Ideal resolves with a Hive Mind on board, everyone casts Enduring Ideal as well. Which means for the rest of the game the only thing everyone is casting is Enduring Ideal on their upkeep. Which get countered by Dovescape. ALL BOW TO THE MIGHT OF MY BIRDS.

If you're looking for ETB blowing up on creatures, here's a few ideas. Terastodon, Woodfall Primus, Reclamation Sage, Harmonic Sliver, Indrik Stomphowler, Angel of Despair and Ashen Rider.

Quote from: Dimir on February 07, 2015, 09:05:09 PM
Also, Modern Masters 2015 comes out on May 22. So far only two cards in the set have been revealed, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and Etched Champion.

http://www.magicspoiler.com/modern-masters-2015/

Any thoughts on what they'd reprint? I'm hoping for a Noble Hierarch, and maybe if they reprint emrakul they'll reprint the rest of the Eldrazi Titans too.

Hemingway

Modern Masters.

I remember how fast those sold out last year. My girlfriend and I were in the store on release day, was told they were all sold out. A guy called in to cancel while we were at the counter, and we got to buy some. Unfortunately, we were too broke to buy a full display.

Also - I missed what your Enduring Ideal did. Well, that's just ... I mean, if you can pull that off - if other plays allow that - they deserved to lose!

Incidentally, not quite Hive Mind, but still one of my favorite cards in EDH: Arcane Melee. I just love the flavor of that card.

CountessJess

Quote from: Hemingway on February 08, 2015, 05:17:17 AM
Modern Masters.

I remember how fast those sold out last year. My girlfriend and I were in the store on release day, was told they were all sold out. A guy called in to cancel while we were at the counter, and we got to buy some. Unfortunately, we were too broke to buy a full display.

Also - I missed what your Enduring Ideal did. Well, that's just ... I mean, if you can pull that off - if other plays allow that - they deserved to lose!

Incidentally, not quite Hive Mind, but still one of my favorite cards in EDH: Arcane Melee. I just love the flavor of that card.

They were all tapped out in stopping another person's combo. It was delicious.

Also, yeah, Modern Masters...at least this time Wizards said that they'll have a larger print run, so there's that at least. Hopefully. My friend opened a box to almost complete trash....so yeah, there's that. He got three legendary dragons and a Sarkhan for his mythics.

I've wanted so hard to fit in Arcane Melee into my decks, but it just never makes the cut. At five mana you expect a better effect when at two mana you already have access to Goblin Electromancer, which doesn't help your opponents - and people never seem to really find your Arcane Melee useful enough to be nice to you. Conversely, Howling Mine effects always makes people well disposed to you. But that's just my experience.

Hemingway

The people I play with generally aren't well-disposed toward anyone, and they're ... pretty terrible at judging who's the greater threat.

Oh, speaking of Eldrazi.

Eldrazi in Dragons of Tarkir? New Eldrazi block after Khans? THE RETURN OF NICOL BOLAS? God, I have my fingers crossed for Bolas.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Hemingway on February 08, 2015, 08:22:10 AM
The people I play with generally aren't well-disposed toward anyone, and they're ... pretty terrible at judging who's the greater threat.

Oh, speaking of Eldrazi.

Eldrazi in Dragons of Tarkir? New Eldrazi block after Khans? THE RETURN OF NICOL BOLAS? God, I have my fingers crossed for Bolas.

There has been speculation of that since there has been 'Time Travel.' They went into past or something, hence Ugin(sp) so there are rumors Eldrazi may return. Now, not sure with what ability, unless they reprint Annihilator but who knows.

I can see it something like this, Eldrazi getting released.

Sakhram: Man, guys, I really need ya'll to stop fighting, we need to team up and stop the Eldrazi.
Warring Clans: Eldrazi? What that? We not worry bout puny Eldrazi, we too focus on trying to kill one another and dominate the world.
Sakhram: But the Eldrazi destroy worlds.
Warring Clans: Not messing with ours, not our business. We will worry about them when they come.

Speaking of Eldrazi, wasn't it Sorin, Ugin and someone else that stop them? Maybe not Sorin, but I know Ugin help seal them.

Geeklet

Dimir

Tomorrow, I'm taking my friend to a comic book store to improve his mtg deck and will teach him further skills. I got him into the game series. ^^

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Geeklet on February 08, 2015, 12:42:07 PM
I hope not. Annihilator is stupid.

Eldrazi

Exterminator ?: You sacrifice ? permanents when attacking with this creature.

WHUUUUT? xD

Actually, if they put something like that, but if it was you sac ? permanents and creature buffs itself till EOT or gains some ability that could work. Be it gets stronger to converted mana cost or number of sacs. Or if you sac a certain permanent it gets additional ability. Now that would be beneficial stupid for a former passive dumb ability they had.

Also thing with Eldrazi is that they are all mana eating drops. Unless you get their spawn and sac them to summon one. Wasn't there plenty of spot removal back in their former set? I hardly see them that competitive and now in modern they are still not really that big of a deal.

Now, on the other hand, those flip mechanics + Eldrazi could work. White/Blue with colorless modern since a lot of the latest set had spells that did the manifest thing.

Hemingway

You still have to pay to flip morph / manifest cards face-up, though.

Eldrazi ( at least the legendaries ) generally have some form of protection, too: Ulamog is Indestructible, Emrakul has protection from colored spells, and Kozilek ... well, he wouldn't fare so well. Current standard really doesn't have a lot of spot removal, though. Or, well - not cheap removal. Utter End would take care of even Ulamog ( or gods, or ... just about anything ), but it does cost 2BW. Murderous Cut is 4B, but has Delve, so that works. And, of course, there's Hero's Downfall - but that'll go in six months, so ... yeah. Who knows what next year will look like?

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Hemingway on February 10, 2015, 04:41:43 AM
You still have to pay to flip morph / manifest cards face-up, though.

Eldrazi ( at least the legendaries ) generally have some form of protection, too: Ulamog is Indestructible, Emrakul has protection from colored spells, and Kozilek ... well, he wouldn't fare so well. Current standard really doesn't have a lot of spot removal, though. Or, well - not cheap removal. Utter End would take care of even Ulamog ( or gods, or ... just about anything ), but it does cost 2BW. Murderous Cut is 4B, but has Delve, so that works. And, of course, there's Hero's Downfall - but that'll go in six months, so ... yeah. Who knows what next year will look like?

Not if you cloudshift or conjure closet the creature or anything that similar flips it.

CountessJess

Quote from: Drake Valentine on February 10, 2015, 04:58:55 AM
Not if you cloudshift or conjure closet the creature or anything that similar flips it.

There is no current method to manipulate the top card of your library in standard outside of scry - which is an extremely inefficient and unreliable way of ensuring you manifest the hypothetical eldrazi we might get in Dragons. But I seriously doubt they'd release Eldrazi in Khans block. Might be a bit unfun with monogreen devotion still a thing.

Conjurer's Closet or Cloudshift is not in standard, and honestly, Tron already exists as a deck archetype that can drop eldrazi with distressing regularity. If you want to play around with manifest I'd suggest Restoration Angel over Cloudshift or Conjurer's Closet (egad, no, that card is so bad) because at the very least Restoration Angel is an incredibly solid creature. But honestly, it's a silly combo that without any form of reliable topdeck manipulation or a way to cycle through your deck efficiently, you're much better off playing Tron if you want to drop Eldrazi.

Drake Valentine

Was talking for modern.

Quote from: Drake Valentine on February 09, 2015, 10:22:54 PM
Eldrazi

Exterminator ?: You sacrifice ? permanents when attacking with this creature.

WHUUUUT? xD

Actually, if they put something like that, but if it was you sac ? permanents and creature buffs itself till EOT or gains some ability that could work. Be it gets stronger to converted mana cost or number of sacs. Or if you sac a certain permanent it gets additional ability. Now that would be beneficial stupid for a former passive dumb ability they had.

Also thing with Eldrazi is that they are all mana eating drops. Unless you get their spawn and sac them to summon one. Wasn't there plenty of spot removal back in their former set? I hardly see them that competitive and now in modern they are still not really that big of a deal.

Now, on the other hand, those flip mechanics + Eldrazi could work. White/Blue with colorless modern since a lot of the latest set had spells that did the manifest thing.

CountessJess

Quote from: Drake Valentine on February 10, 2015, 05:14:49 AM
Was talking for modern.

As I said, play Tron for Eldrazi. You have no reliable way of putting cards on top of your library in Modern, with Brainstorm and Sensei's Diving Top being banned. Manifest is incredibly unreliable without topdeck manipulation. You'll need to play Legacy if you want to play Manifest reliably. Miracles are a thing in Legacy, not Modern, after all, as is Counterbalance Top. But then again, if you want to play Eldrazi in Legacy, you have Show and Tell, so, yeah. A bit pointless.