Magic: The Gathering (Discussion)

Started by Dimir, January 06, 2015, 07:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Howl of the Horde is brilliant.

Have you seen the new Jeskai mythics? They're pretty insane. I'm not really sure why they gave Jeskai so much love - Abzan needs it more, if you ask me. And I'm only slightly biased. ;D

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Hemingway on February 01, 2015, 01:57:34 PM

Have you seen the new Jeskai mythics? They're pretty insane. I'm not really sure why they gave Jeskai so much love - Abzan needs it more, if you ask me. And I'm only slightly biased. ;D

I seen em, but I can't run them in my deck. I would like to run Mentor, but he just doesn't fit, so instead I will be running Elspeths for token generation. Plus, I can cast Elspeth for free if Narset swings and if I draw her in my four free cast hand. Not to mention she can nuke everything with 4 or greater. ;)

I wish they did monk token spells like something for their version of raise the alarm and that other spell(which both instants I run in my deck, the one for three warrior tokens a bit less cause it is like 5? cast.)

The Mentor just doesn't really fit, I proxy playtest him and found that proxing two more Elspeths was much better. So I'll go with planeswalkers instead.

Edit: I really like that Jeskai wall though, best two drop wall I ever seen. 0/4 flash with may return a creature you control to your hand? Whuuut? Unfortunately it won't fit in my deck either. Still better than some of those other crappy walls I seen in past few years. (Maybe not as much as dreaded fog bank, most annoying wall I have seen.)

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

CountessJess

Quote from: Hemingway on February 01, 2015, 01:57:34 PM

Abzan doesn't need anything as long as it has Siege Rhino - and it does have a pretty sweet one drop in the mythic slot for Fate Reforged. I'm sure it's going to make waves in constructed - that thing is pretty insane whether you draw it in early or late game.

Quote from: Drake Valentine on February 01, 2015, 02:04:08 PM
I seen em, but I can't run them in my deck. I would like to run Mentor, but he just doesn't fit, so instead I will be running Elspeths for token generation. Plus, I can cast Elspeth for free if Narset swings and if I draw her in my four free cast hand. Not to mention she can nuke everything with 4 or greater. ;)

I wish they did monk token spells like something for their version of raise the alarm and that other spell(which both instants I run in my deck, the one for three warrior tokens a bit less cause it is like 5? cast.)

The Mentor just doesn't really fit, I proxy playtest him and found that proxing two more Elspeths was much better. So I'll go with planeswalkers instead.

Edit: I really like that Jeskai wall though, best two drop wall I ever seen. 0/4 flash with may return a creature you control to your hand? Whuuut? Unfortunately it won't fit in my deck either. Still better than some of those other crappy walls I seen in past few years. (Maybe not as much as dreaded fog bank, most annoying wall I have seen.)

I think Elspeth, Sun's Champion and Monastery Mentor fill roles in different decks - Elspeth runs in a slower, control Jeskai build whereas Monastery Mentor has just insane synergy with Jeskai Ascendency and Stoke the Flames, which is a far faster deck than any that run Elspeth mainboard, I think. He runs a similar role as Goblin Rabblemaster, which also has little place in a deck that runs Elspeth.

Hemingway

Siege Rhino is great, and I stocked up on the Abzan Figure of Destiny. It's just sad to me that it's hard to make a viable all-Abzan deck. I mean, my Mardu deck uses mostly clan cards ( Soldier of the Pantheon is one of the few exceptions ), and it's perfectly playable. Abzan just suffers from having a pretty lackluster clan mechanic, and generally disappointing cards that seem geared more toward limited than standard. I have real trouble figuring out how to actually structure my Abzan deck, or what it's supposed to do.

CountessJess

Quote from: Hemingway on February 01, 2015, 06:12:05 PM
Siege Rhino is great, and I stocked up on the Abzan Figure of Destiny. It's just sad to me that it's hard to make a viable all-Abzan deck. I mean, my Mardu deck uses mostly clan cards ( Soldier of the Pantheon is one of the few exceptions ), and it's perfectly playable. Abzan just suffers from having a pretty lackluster clan mechanic, and generally disappointing cards that seem geared more toward limited than standard. I have real trouble figuring out how to actually structure my Abzan deck, or what it's supposed to do.

You can make Abzan work without playing Bolster or Outlast, which to me seems to be mechanics designed solidly for Limited formats. But Abzan decks are pretty strong if you play midrange in your colours as it is, I think; sure, you might not be able to use +1/+1 counters, but between Caryatids, Coursers, Rhinos and Wingmate Rocs, supported by Elspeth and Sorin, while still getting relevant removal from Hero's Downfall and Utter End...you have it so good =)

Of course, thematically it's less than ideal, but the power level is through the roof for standard.

Sprikut

Abzan is the deck to beat in standard... Despite what everyone thinks about Jeskai....

I cant use either of the mythics in my Jeskai deck either. They are too situational depending on your deck.

Hemingway

I like themes over power. I'm in the process of turning my Abzan deck into a more pure midrange deck, though. But I'm running into problems. One of them is I don't have any Hero's Downfall, only 2 Caryatids, no rocs, no Elspeth, and only 1 Sorin.

I do have 4 Thoughtseize, so that's nice. I also have more than enough Siege Rhinos. Utter Ends I have 4 of - I'm using 2 in my Mardu deck, but I might replace it with Ride Down ( less powerful, for sure, but it makes it difficult to chump block ). I'm also absolutely set on running Anafenza - she's just a sexy card. And I got a prerelease foil, so ... swag!

Here's what I've got in it so far, then:

4 x Thoughtseize
3? x Siege Rhino ( I'm wary about running 4, but I could )
3 x What's-his-face the Abzan Figure of Destiny
2 x Sylvan Caryatid
Up to 4 x Fleecemane Lion
2 - 4 x Utter End
2 x Anafenza the Foremost ( I can justify this by her second ability, which exiles cards that would be put into graveyards - actually really useful )

It's starting to look like something, for sure. I'm just not sure what else to put in ( that would fit into my somewhat limited budget ). Brimaz, from my Mardu deck, maybe? He's not doing a whole lot for that deck - too hard to cast, and safer to use defensively ( or with counters! )

I'm open to suggestions. :)

CountessJess

That synergy of Thoughtseize and Anafenza making sure that there are no targets for Whip of Erebos...too good.

Also, always run 4 Siege Rhino, it holds too much value. It forced the ban on Birthing Pod in modern - it has to be good.

Between Fleecemane, Warden, Anafenza, and Brimaz, you have the early game locked down pretty hard. Playing Abzan aggro over Abzan midrange still sounds strong, imho.

Hemingway

Brimaz! I knew I was forgetting something as I was putting together my deck.

And, yeah. Thanks for pointing out Anafenza + Thoughtseize. I mainly wanted Anafeza for delve hate + countering that phoenix. Or any phoenix, really.

Dimir

Playing a fairly fun EDH deck on Cockatrice. It revolves around black/green deathtouch with also having the opponent sacrifice their creatures, while taking out artifacts and enchantments that benefit the opponent.

Starting to wish I favoured green/black over blue/black in real life. Still working on a real life blue/black EDH deck.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Hemingway

'In real life'. ;D

I tried making a BG commander deck with ... oh, yeah, I was using Pharika as a commander - simply because she was the only BG legendary I had on hand. It didn't work out very well. It might have, but one of the people I play with regularly had a pretty solid commander deck going at the time.

Then I built my Kaalia deck, which just rips things to shred. It's got just about every good angel, demon and dragon ever printed. I even splurged and got a Baneslayer - that thing is just irresponsibly powerful ( especially when you regularly play against a demon deck ). It also has some of the best artwork ever. Among my favorites, easily.

On that note. I believe I mentioned that my favorite card ever may be Stoneforge Mystic. Not just because it's incredibly powerful ( which it is ), but also for the artwork ( I love Kor, and she may be the nicest of them ), and because it's just an incredibly fun card.

Anyone else have favorites?

Geeklet

favorite card as in just the art, or as in what it does?

For the art, I'll always have a special place in my heart for The Dark version of Elves of Deep Shadow.

As for mechanics, I have this weird obsession with Varchild's War Riders. Just this weird collection of abilities causing it to be a decent size creature for a really cheap cost.

Edit: So recently I build a Shu Yun commander deck on MTGO. Ive played 2 games with it, and it is totally nuts, and hella fun to play.

CountessJess

Kaalia just draws so much hate from my playgroup, it's insane to try to run her, because they always dogpile on that player. Like, they'll ignore the Riku player with Prophet of Kruphix and Deadeye Navigator bouncing his Mulldrifters and Eternal Witnesses for value, or ignore the Mimeoplasm player dredging 6 and casting Entomb off an Isochron Scepter every turn, all so that they can target Kaalia. Damnit I just want to play my pretty angels and demons >.<

I'm a big fan of Restoration Angel myself. Blink stuff, it's great. Dodge kill spells, reuse etb effects, put a 3/4 flash flier onto the board, it's great.  You can even target Stoneforge Mystic for even more value =D Also her art is sweet...I like the blue in her dress.

Geeklet

I will admit I will target the Kaalia deck at first, but the longer the game goes, the less threatening she gets because by then, anyone can start hard casting the things she usually drops early on turns 4-5 and such.

Drake Valentine

Tournament play has got to point of me appologizing to my opponents before hand cause some people take game too seriously. In modern anyways.

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Hemingway

Quote from: Geeklet on February 03, 2015, 08:36:53 AM
I will admit I will target the Kaalia deck at first, but the longer the game goes, the less threatening she gets because by then, anyone can start hard casting the things she usually drops early on turns 4-5 and such.

I often end up getting targeted anyway. I'm not sure if it's because the people I usually play against are siblings, or because I often play decks with some terrifying trick or another, but it happens. Commanders tend not to last very long in our games anyway - planeswalker commanders even less so.

I find this has worked to my advantage, though. I've held Kaalia back sometimes, and this has caused my opponents to save their removal spells for her, allowing my other stuff to wreak havoc. I mean, Kaalia gives you an early advantage, but even without that, the creatures in the deck are terrifying enough. Baneslayer, Stormbreath Dragon, Lord of the Void - they're pretty solid. I also run a lot of protective creatures ( Aegis Angel, the angel that limits spellcasting, creatures like that ).

OH. And one of my friends runs Erebos as a commander. You know what she doesn't like? Pithing Needle ( I guess nobody really like that, but ... against a Commander, it somehow seems even more satisfying ).

Dimir

Okay for my Black EDH deck, I've taken out five cards that don't contribute to the overall strategy and I'm going to look for these ones.

Archfiend Of Depravity
Increasing Ambition
Desecration Demon
Harvester Of Souls
Crux Of Fate

I just want to accomplish three things, draw/search, have opponent constantly get rid of their creatures and batter them with powerful black creatures. Ether Snap and Wight Of Prescient Six from the Black Commander deck weren't being very useful.

CountessJess

I used to run monoblack Oona mill. This is what include instead.

Archfiend of Depravity -> Sheoldred, Whispering One OR Butcher of Malakir OR Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
Increasing Ambition -> Demonic Tutor OR Beseech the Queen actually Increasing Ambition is pretty fine
Desecration Demon -> Uh, any big creature with an ability that's actually useful in Commander because Desecration Demon is going to stay tapped forever by the one guy who runs saprolings. Say, Kokusho, the Evening Star OR Massacre Wurm OR Geth, Lord of the Vault are all better.
Harvester of Souls -> Phyrexian Arena OR Necropotence OR Underworld Connections OR Bob or heck even run Staff of Nin is far better than Harvester
Crux of Fate -> Pretty good, run Damnation and Decree of Pain too.

There, you have your removal and draw and powerful black. And now you have a deck that isn't bad. Include Caged Sun, Gauntlet of Power, Crypt Ghast and other similar cards for more shenanigans. Also Pack Rat

Dimir

Quote from: CountessJess on February 05, 2015, 02:40:24 PM
I used to run monoblack Oona mill. This is what include instead.

Archfiend of Depravity -> Sheoldred, Whispering One OR Butcher of Malakir OR Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
Increasing Ambition -> Demonic Tutor OR Beseech the Queen actually Increasing Ambition is pretty fine
Desecration Demon -> Uh, any big creature with an ability that's actually useful in Commander because Desecration Demon is going to stay tapped forever by the one guy who runs saprolings. Say, Kokusho, the Evening Star OR Massacre Wurm OR Geth, Lord of the Vault are all better.
Harvester of Souls -> Phyrexian Arena OR Necropotence OR Underworld Connections OR Bob or heck even run Staff of Nin is far better than Harvester
Crux of Fate -> Pretty good, run Damnation and Decree of Pain too.

There, you have your removal and draw and powerful black. And now you have a deck that isn't bad. Include Caged Sun, Gauntlet of Power, Crypt Ghast and other similar cards for more shenanigans. Also Pack Rat

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have Drana as well with the Depravity Archfiend I just bought. Didn't find Increasing
Ambition or Demonic Tutor so I have Diabolic Tutor for now. Didn't find Descreation Demon as well, I would agree that there are much better big creatures in my deck already. Still looking for Crux of Fate and alot of the other ones you suggested. May have to order them online over time.

Hemingway

Bloodgift Demon is absolutely sick in EDH. 1 life for 1 card per turn? So good.

Dimir

Quote from: Hemingway on February 05, 2015, 03:45:17 PM
Bloodgift Demon is absolutely sick in EDH. 1 life for 1 card per turn? So good.

I have Bloodgift Demon in the deck. ^^

Hemingway

I have nothing to add, then. :P

Unless, hmm ... What's the guy ... Reaper from the Abyss?

Or Abyssal Persecutor, for the lulz!

Drake Valentine

The Black God from Theros, Erebos(think his name was)

He lets you card draw consistently at the cost of two life, but I do believe it is a black and 1 mana to activitate ability. (Haven't used him in awhile.)

Plus he prevents opponents life gain.

Plus he is a 5/7 indestructible.

Plus he is a 4 drop.

Sometimes I thought bout making EDH deck center around one of those 10(izzit?) God/desses.

Dimir

I have the three cards you guys suggested, along with Erebos's whip. Not sure how Persecutor will fare over the long term though, I do have ways to get him off the board.

Edit: Phyrexian Obliterator would be awesome but he's rather expensive compared to other cards right now. The price is justified of course.

CountessJess

If you want cheap ways to win, try running these cheap cards.

Mikeaus, the Unhallowed + Triskelion
Bloodchief Ascension + Mindcrank
Magus of the Coffers + Sword of the Parun + any X spell
Exquisite Blood + Sanguine Bond

Your friends will love you for playing them.