Magic: The Gathering (Discussion)

Started by Dimir, January 06, 2015, 07:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eranil Morathim

Almost all of my decks have a plan B . It's always good to have a backup , sometimes I end up with plans C, D, snd E too, then I have to do some serious deck cutting. Admitedly Irarely , stick to limiting my decks to just 60 cards but they still work well as long as I keep them from getting too huge.

Dimir

I have 52 out of 100 cards I need for my Lazav EDH deck, not counting some of the cards from my Black EDH deck that I'll transfer over. I'm just looking for a lot of creatures and more mill support. I'll go to another comic book store soon and look through some binders.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Hemingway

Lazav. <3

I hope you're bringing a Consuming Aberration. I assume you are for mill, but ... yeah. It's such an amazing card!

Dimir

Quote from: Hemingway on January 27, 2015, 05:53:52 PM
Lazav. <3

I hope you're bringing a Consuming Aberration. I assume you are for mill, but ... yeah. It's such an amazing card!

I have my Consuming Aberration. In case the mill doesn't work, I also have some counter spells for a Plan B to hold off my opponent.

Geeklet

For a Lazav deck? If you can, do yourself a favor and get a Grinning Totem for it. Trust me.

Dimir

Quote from: Geeklet on January 27, 2015, 06:26:56 PM
For a Lazav deck? If you can, do yourself a favor and get a Grinning Totem for it. Trust me.

Even though I wouldn't be able to play white/red/green cards, it sounds very good to get artifacts and other blue/black cards. Now I just have to find someone who carries it. Thanks for suggesting it.

Geeklet

Its an older card, so you might not have a lot of luck, but in Lazav, that card basically says "Find the best creature in your opponents deck, and turn Lazav into it next turn."

Dimir

Quote from: Geeklet on January 27, 2015, 06:35:55 PM
Its an older card, so you might not have a lot of luck, but in Lazav, that card basically says "Find the best creature in your opponents deck, and turn Lazav into it next turn."

Oh I didn't even think of that. It would be perfect. ^^

Drake Valentine

Quote from: CountessJess on January 27, 2015, 03:40:58 AM

Could I have a look at the decklist, please? I'm really curious at how the deck works - T1 land destruction, as hard as I think, I can't imagine being possible.

Sigh. I just had this four paragraph post written up and accidentally hit the back key. ;\ Tried to go froward and it was just gone with the rest of your quote here.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Dimir

There are plenty of parody mtg card drawings out there but I feel this rendition of grislebrand is hilarious.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MMeWyQdmoO0/U71RmI6UkXI/AAAAAAAAAF8/qD4Kyh5heN0/s1600/grislebrand.jpg

Hemingway

Alesha, Who Smiles at Death, is officially Magic's first transgender character.

( and that is awesome )

Dimir

Quote from: Hemingway on January 29, 2015, 09:09:06 PM

( and that is awesome )

Congrats Wizards Of The Coast for doing this. I probably won't use it but I really want Alesha's card for my personal collection.

CountessJess

Quote from: Hemingway on January 29, 2015, 09:09:06 PM

( and that is awesome )

More importantly, she's also Magic's first 3/2 First Striker with a Reanimator option for red.

Hemingway

Quote from: CountessJess on January 30, 2015, 03:34:56 AM
More importantly, she's also Magic's first 3/2 First Striker with a Reanimator option for red.

I wish I had room for her in my Mardu deck, but I opted for the Strike Leader. My decklist goes something like this

4 x Soldier of the Pantheon
4 x Bloodsoaked Champion
2 x Mardu Shadowspear ( ??? - originally used Flamedrinker Satyr, but he has a nasty habit of wrecking me )

4 x War-Name Aspirant

I used Generator Servants, but took them out to make room for others.

I use a few Grim Haruspex ( 2? ), 2 Mardu Strike Leader, uhh ... I forget what other 3-drops. Oh, yeah. 2 x Brimaz ( not sold on him - a bit heavy on W in a Mardu deck )

4 ( or 3 ? ) Butcher of the Horde - the main powerhouse of my deck. Good god he's awesome.

I also run some spells: 2 x Ride Down, 2 x Crackling Doom, 2 x Utter End.

I may be leaving some things out, but that's the gist of it.

CountessJess

I was thinking that she had more of a place in commander in a weenie deck, but since we're talking Standard...have you ran Brutal Hordechief in your Warriors? It seems like a good card for a deck like that; at least, to me, but I've never run the Mardu deck before (or run against it), so I'm curious.

Hemingway

I have only one of them, unfortunately. I'm thinking of trying him out, but my deck doesn't have too much of a focus on warriors/tokens as it stands, so I'm not sure how well it'd work.

CountessJess

He seems to curve out nicely, with t1 Bloodsoaked Champion, t2 Shadowspear, t3 Strike Leader into t4 Brutal Hordechief. Then on t4 attack step you deal 5 damage and gain 4 life before blockers are declared =D And on t5 you have the entire enemy blocking force block the Bloodsoaked champion, and swing for the win.

In Magic Christmas Wonderland, of course.

Hemingway

Usually I go something like this ( before taking out Generator Servant ):

T1 Bloodsoaked Champion
T2 Generator Servant
T3 Use Generator Servant ( 2 colorless for casting creatures who then get haste ) to cast Butcher of the Horde. Swing for 7. ;D

I can see the Hordechief working out with my revised deck, though ( without Generator Servant to push things out earlier ). Bloodsoaked Champion is also perfect fodder for the Butcher - the Champion doesn't give a single shit about being sacced, he just comes back and keeps on giving.

CountessJess

Sounds legit. Personally I don't like Butcher of the Horde - I feel like he makes you sac stuff on your board and leaves you open for your opponent to remove him easily, leaving yourself with a depleted board. But he's being used by people in my group who beat me regularly, so whatever.

Brutal Hordechief just reminds me so much of the old Hellrider, but better =)

Hemingway

I really only sacrifice creatures to give him haste, everything else is just the icing on the cake. Considering Bloodsoaked Champion can't block, and he comes back on his own, he's a very good target for it. It could backfire, sure, but the current Standard is also fairly low on spot removal ( at least compared to RTR/M14/Theros ). I'm sure I would run into bad situations if I started playing events, though. Also, he's a 5/4 flier for CMC 4. It's insane. I remember when demons still had drawbacks.

I'd take Hellrider of Hordechief, though. Haste makes a pretty decent difference, and the Hordechief's ability is very costly. It could be it's just the thing needed to win on T5, though. I don't know.

Still - 2 and 2 or something like that, I could see that working. Just need to get my hands on another one now.

Geeklet

Quote from: CountessJess on January 31, 2015, 09:23:54 AM
I was thinking that she had more of a place in commander in a weenie deck...

Not necessarily weenie. You know what is in Mardu colors with power 2 or less? Karmic Guide. Shenanigans are certainly possible in that deck.

CountessJess

Quote from: Hemingway on January 31, 2015, 12:54:05 PM
I really only sacrifice creatures to give him haste, everything else is just the icing on the cake. Considering Bloodsoaked Champion can't block, and he comes back on his own, he's a very good target for it. It could backfire, sure, but the current Standard is also fairly low on spot removal ( at least compared to RTR/M14/Theros ). I'm sure I would run into bad situations if I started playing events, though. Also, he's a 5/4 flier for CMC 4. It's insane. I remember when demons still had drawbacks.

I'd take Hellrider of Hordechief, though. Haste makes a pretty decent difference, and the Hordechief's ability is very costly. It could be it's just the thing needed to win on T5, though. I don't know.

Still - 2 and 2 or something like that, I could see that working. Just need to get my hands on another one now.

Hellrider having haste is a good point - but I'm not sure if I'd still take that over the ability to give all my stuff essentially unblockable on t5. *shrugs* but I'll take your word for it; I'm not good with these sorts of aggro decks. I do hope the deck does well, though, it seems like a fun thing to run.

Quote from: Geeklet on January 31, 2015, 01:37:56 PM
Not necessarily weenie. You know what is in Mardu colors with power 2 or less? Karmic Guide. Shenanigans are certainly possible in that deck.

Oh, shenanigans are certainly possible with her. Kaalia of the Vast is in Mardu colours and she's two power or less as well - as is Kiki-Jiki, so I can imagine the combo with Restoration Angel is also going to be in the deck. But I imagine most of the time Alesha is going to be rezzing Banisher Priest or Fiend Hunter for removal, or Silverblade Paladin to help with Voltron damage, or Dark Confidant for card draw, or Stoneforge Mystic for equipment value, or Rune-Tail for protection...she's such a valuable toolbox.

Hemingway

Quote from: CountessJess on January 31, 2015, 02:27:16 PM
Hellrider having haste is a good point - but I'm not sure if I'd still take that over the ability to give all my stuff essentially unblockable on t5. *shrugs* but I'll take your word for it; I'm not good with these sorts of aggro decks. I do hope the deck does well, though, it seems like a fun thing to run.

There's one thing I'm not sure about. Because of the way his ability is worded ( compared to Odric ), I assume you can't decide your opponent won't block. It's not really a big deal ( just make everything block a token or a Bloodsoaked Champion ... or Zurgo ), but still something to keep in mind.

CountessJess

Quote from: Hemingway on January 31, 2015, 02:35:21 PM
There's one thing I'm not sure about. Because of the way his ability is worded ( compared to Odric ), I assume you can't decide your opponent won't block. It's not really a big deal ( just make everything block a token or a Bloodsoaked Champion ... or Zurgo ), but still something to keep in mind.

AFAIK all your opponent's creatures block but you choose how they block - so you can have them all block a token. Which still means you swing in for a massive amount. When your opponent has Wingmate Rocs and Siege Rhinos...yeah.

Drake Valentine

I like generator servant + Narset in a spell heavy deck.

Funniest 4 free casts I got was Howl of the Horde, Howl of the Horde, Jeskai Charm, Land

They block Narset, cool, I still get free casts.

After combat. I'll Howl of the Horde, into a Howl of the Horde, into a Jeskai Charm.

Take 60 burn damage. ;o

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused}