Interest check ONLY: Fate/stay Night "sequel" [UN] (Modern mythological fantasy)

Started by Karma, November 01, 2009, 07:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I liked it better when magician was sorcerer... it kept it separated and identifiable.

Chuukun

I have pretty much finished writing up an app for Saber/Jeanne d'Arc, and I already have an idea for a master-character. Would a sibling of Luvia Edelfelt be acceptable? Her family is mentioned as having the special trait of always producing two magically gifted offsprings in each generation after all...

Chuukun

I'm not quite sure if it's even going to be a 'she'. After all, there was just this one case with the twins and just saying "two successors at the same time" leaves room for interpretation, but yeah, nothing's decided yet. If you want it to be a sister, sure, why not?

Though it would be kind of amusing if she would get along with Rin since her sister doesn't, don't you think?

Hah, I don't mind either way, but it makes sense for Rin and an Edelfelt to have some kind of rapport... Luviagelita was a roommate or at least a rival, if I recall.

Chuukun

More like mortal enemies... if you read the article I linked, it says there that, instead of becoming roommates, they fought with each other and got banned because of the destruction they caused. So yeah, I think they pretty much hate each other.

(then again, their relationship is pretty much the result of what you get when you sic two tsunderes at each other, so yeah)

The twin would be pretty much the opposite of Luvia, soft-spoken and polite, although still retaining this hidden viciousness when it comes to battle. So, maybe a potential master for a Berserker?

Heh, gotcha. It is a good fit for Berserker, but Rin already is the Master there. Guess I never mentioned that. Consider it official! Edited the roster to reflect pairings.

Chuukun

Well, Loki might do just as fine then =D the bigger, the better. Not gonna get beaten by Tohsaka.

Oh, by the way, I've been wondering: Since the canon scenario of Fate/Stay Night for this rp is Heavens Feel, doesn't that mean that there are still Sakura and her Servant Rider around, sorta like Gilgamesh was before? Doesn't that mean they could intervene as well?

Yep, they could. Though, the greatest odds of that happening would be because Rin requested their aid, I think.

Chuukun

Mkay, so let's talk about the plot there for a minute... If I recall correctly, the grail was utterly destroyed after the fifth Heavens Feel. So there shouldn't be any possibility for mages to summon the Servants. Maybe a group of rogue sorcerers has created another, as of yet uncorrupted (or maybe corrupted from the start) Grail and the Clock Tower organization resolves to destroy it right away so to destroy the Grail and end its evilness (even if that hadn't taken hold of it yet)? To summon it, maybe that had to offer huge amounts of mana by sacrificing an entire city of innocent people or something like that, something so drastic that would force the proper magi to act?

So with that in mind, you could argue that the Masters more or less are reactive in their summoning. Maybe the ones who had created the Grail made it possible to have more than one Servant of a class out, so there could be more than one Sabers and Archers? Maybe they already had Servants summoned so that the two Master-Servant-fractions clash?

Excuse me for rambling a bit, but I was hit by a jolt of inspiration, if you could call it that...

Btw, @ TheWriter: Why summon Arcueid? She isn't dead yet, as far as I know and the Nasuverse is pretty consistent, so shouldn't Arcueid be still pretty much be alive during those events? Regardless of that, could she even die for real? And would she really qualify as a Heroic spirit then? Nothing against your choice, I like Arcueid, but it seems a bit weird. I mean, 5th War Archer made sense in context...

TheWriter

QuoteMkay, so let's talk about the plot there for a minute... If I recall correctly, the grail was utterly destroyed after the fifth Heavens Feel. So there shouldn't be any possibility for mages to summon the Servants.  Maybe a group of rogue sorcerers has created another, as of yet uncorrupted (or maybe corrupted from the start) Grail and the Clock Tower organization resolves to destroy it right away so to destroy the Grail and end its evilness (even if that hadn't taken hold of it yet)? To summon it, maybe that had to offer huge amounts of mana by sacrificing an entire city of innocent people or something like that, something so drastic that would force the proper magi to act?
For the record, Kiritsugu believed he had utterly destroyed the Holy Grail as well.  While it'd be very ironic, it is likely that Shirou messed up as well.  Also, the Grail War itself is the summoning ritual; the mana required for it usually comes from the magical energy of six defeated Servants.  Although, yes, it is possible to, if someone completely grasps the process of the Holy Grail as Medea did, to summon it using an alternative energy source such as an entire city.  To end the evilness of the Grail War, the target can't be the Holy Grail, but Angra Mainyu itself, the evil that corrupts it.  Perhaps the Mage's Association came to this conclusion, and this is their end goal in starting a new Grail War? 

QuoteWhy summon Arcueid? She isn't dead yet, as far as I know and the Nasuverse is pretty consistent, so shouldn't Arcueid be still pretty much be alive during those events? Regardless of that, could she even die for real? And would she really qualify as a Heroic spirit then? Nothing against your choice, I like Arcueid, but it seems a bit weird. I mean, 5th War Archer made sense in context...
If you want to get technical it's up to interpretation, but Arcueid is dead.  Canon ending for Tsukihime is Near Side route, Arc's True ending; she dies trying to finish Roa/SHIKI without endangering Shiki.  It's one of the very few things the anime got right.  In fact, you almost kill her yourself; she spends the rest of the story holding herself together with gaffer tape.  As for qualifying as a Hero, she'd defeated nearly every other fallen vampire in history and the first seventeen different incarnations of Roa, not to mention having great power and was renowned for it amongst the Church (through the mutual agreement they had while hunting Roa and her dealings with Ciel) and the Magi (Zelretch was for all intensive purposes her surrogate grandfather).

The trick about Angra Mainyu, I believe, is that he was trapped in that specific Great Holy Grail. I don't think another one created elsewhere would also be infested by him. The Association was mad at Rin after the war more about her involvement in closing a gate to the Origin more than they were about everything else so it seems at least some elements of it would be in favor of trying again, but this time without the disastrous involvement of the Einzberns.

Jadzi

Quote from: Karma on November 12, 2009, 02:23:12 AM
Avenger is an anomaly class, not a real one. To say any more would be massive spoilers. xD

I figured as much, I was just curious how it was being handled.  :P

Quote from: Karma on November 12, 2009, 02:23:12 AMI know Oni still will make a Servant... there are two openings, however. Is anyone else looking to make a Servant that's already posted? Otherwise, we do have room for you as a Servant, Jadzi.

Edit: Oops, yeah, read through the thread again. Servants are full up it seems. Cassiopeia wanted Hyppolyta as Saber, but Chuukun called Saber first. x_x; Assuming she still wants to take a role, she and Oni will be the last two. I'm hoping people are just holding back on magi until the servants are set... Otherwise, we have a severe unbalance.

No problem at all. I'd had the idea of using Tomoe Gozen in some fashion or other (I say 'some fashion' due to her sheer versatility), but failing that, I might try for a Master. I have a thought of a certain someone that might summon the dear Doctor over there. >:)

Ooh, I like the idea of Tomoe Gozen... As for multiples of a class and extra Servants, I'd say we can find a way to work that in if/when we fill out the Master roles and then only if there will be a Master to accompany.

Chuukun

Quote from: TheWriter on November 12, 2009, 06:04:34 PM
For the record, Kiritsugu believed he had utterly destroyed the Holy Grail as well.  While it'd be very ironic, it is likely that Shirou messed up as well.  Also, the Grail War itself is the summoning ritual; the mana required for it usually comes from the magical energy of six defeated Servants.  Although, yes, it is possible to, if someone completely grasps the process of the Holy Grail as Medea did, to summon it using an alternative energy source such as an entire city.  To end the evilness of the Grail War, the target can't be the Holy Grail, but Angra Mainyu itself, the evil that corrupts it.  Perhaps the Mage's Association came to this conclusion, and this is their end goal in starting a new Grail War?

The grail, even if not fully destroyed, was said to be dismantled by Waver Velvet, aka. Riders Master during the 4th Holy Grail war. Whatever that means, but I always figured that it meant it stopped working altogether.

Quote from: TheWriter on November 12, 2009, 06:04:34 PMIf you want to get technical it's up to interpretation, but Arcueid is dead.  Canon ending for Tsukihime is Near Side route, Arc's True ending; she dies trying to finish Roa/SHIKI without endangering Shiki.  It's one of the very few things the anime got right.  In fact, you almost kill her yourself; she spends the rest of the story holding herself together with gaffer tape.  As for qualifying as a Hero, she'd defeated nearly every other fallen vampire in history and the first seventeen different incarnations of Roa, not to mention having great power and was renowned for it amongst the Church (through the mutual agreement they had while hunting Roa and her dealings with Ciel) and the Magi (Zelretch was for all intensive purposes her surrogate grandfather).

But she was virtually unknown. Humanity had no clue who she was and there is probably no legend attached to her. So she lacks the very foundation of being a Heroic Spirit. She may have saved the world, but it is questionable if she did agree to becoming a Spirit and even if so, I think she would not have her full strength due to being virtually unknown...

If anything, I'd say Arcueid would better make a cameo appearance of sorts than to be summoned (say, following an ending in which she did survive).

TheWriter

Quote from: Chuukun on November 13, 2009, 12:22:43 AM
The grail, even if not fully destroyed, was said to be dismantled by Waver Velvet, aka. Riders Master during the 4th Holy Grail war. Whatever that means, but I always figured that it meant it stopped working altogether.
That contradicts Kotomine Kirei being able to use the Grail at the end of the 4th War, wishing everything within his vicinity to be destroyed and starting the fire that torched everyone but Shirou.

QuoteBut she was virtually unknown. Humanity had no clue who she was and there is probably no legend attached to her. So she lacks the very foundation of being a Heroic Spirit. She may have saved the world, but it is questionable if she did agree to becoming a Spirit and even if so, I think she would not have her full strength due to being virtually unknown...
The Fuyuki Wiki defines a Heroic Spirit as "A soul that has reached the point of being remembered based on the magnitude of the alteration of destiny".  Unchecked, the Dead Apostles would have led the world to ruin.  Arcueid's actions altered that destiny (indeed, Arcueid's Marble Phantasm is itself the power to shape destiny) and through her liaisons with the Church and Mages' Association, she is remembered for doing such.  Keep in mind that Arcueid, while only appearing briefly, still has over 800 years of history behind her. 

Admittedly it isn't as widespread recognition as, say, King Arthur, and yes, that would limit her power as a Servant.  But Arcueid as she was in Tsukihime, already at under 30% power (70% dedicated to resisting her vampiric impulses, with even more power diverted to holding herself together after Shiki sliced her up) is still supposedly four times that of the average Hero, and (already severely limited, remember) at least on even terms with the canon's most powerful Servant, Gilgamesh.  Taking that into account, making Arc a Servant herself actually makes for a fairly balancing handicap.

Quote from: Chuukun on November 13, 2009, 12:22:43 AM

For some reason my post didn't take. Anyway, the war taking place in Fate/stay was the fifth war, with the Grail being the same as in the fourth. Whatever Velvet did, it most certainly was not dismantling the Grail.

As for Arcueid, I'm against the idea, but I like it, if that makes sense. So I end up neutral on the subject and can't speak either way.

Chuukun

Ah sorry, sorry, there was a typo. I meant after the 5th Holy Grail War, Rin, after returning to Fuyuki City, narrated something about Velvet dismantling the grail.

TheWriter

After Rin gets back...that would make it from Hollow Ataraxia?  Well, I can't say I've played that, but from what I've heard it's got some rather silly stuff in it, least of all the Kaleidostick.  That's enough to make me ask questions about how canon that all is.  Having said that, Ataraxia being canon or not, I'll concede it is generally accepted that the 5th would be the last Grail War ever.  But, as Karma established for this game...
Quoterogue elements of the main families of that War and several independents banded together to try and recreate this Grail elsewhere without their involvement.
5th War Caster has set the precedent possibility of an unsanctioned Holy Grail.  With a bit of study, those rogue elements could glean the process from the ruins of her 'temple'.  I would envision this as the rogue group's first attempt.

Chuukun

Quote from: TheWriter on November 13, 2009, 09:13:42 AM
After Rin gets back...that would make it from Hollow Ataraxia?  Well, I can't say I've played that, but from what I've heard it's got some rather silly stuff in it, least of all the Kaleidostick.  That's enough to make me ask questions about how canon that all is.  Having said that, Ataraxia being canon or not, I'll concede it is generally accepted that the 5th would be the last Grail War ever.

Actually, I was referring to the epilogue of Heavens Feel, the one where it is revealed who survived and how. Rin mentions in passing that her mentor, a certain Velvet, did dismantle the holy grail. Check here for reference.

But yeah, since the premise is that Rogue elements are recreating the grail, one could say that they used a mixture of residue elements of the Grail, a whole bunch of innocents and dark, forbidden magic to build up a new, evil and maybe flawed Holy Grail.

TheWriter

Fair enough.  I'm more familiar with Unlimited Blade Works than Heaven's Feel; I just like Rin more than Sakura, I guess.  That one has Rin leaving for the Academy in the epilogue, as opposed to returning.

Either way, I've got to come up with a mook with a magic circuit.  I was thinking someone from the Eltnam line, then I realised I'd be inventing a marysue sister to Sion, so I'm gonna try and think of an accidental Master.

Chuukun

Hey, same here, I'm a Rin-fanboy as well. Plus, her turning Caster into a punching ball was one of the most awesome scenes ever. Sakura, I already couldn't stand because of her soft, sighing, Hinata-esque voice from the beginning. But hey, there's going to be a Fate/stay movie and guess what route it is based on? UBW, all the way! Hehe, can't wait for the movie and its translation.

I haven't played Ataraxia either, but I think it's fun. You get to see the characters in a different light, which is refreshing. I just need to wait for the translation (which might be out in a year or two) or study Japanese harder than I already do. Btw., if you look at the backstory, I'd say it is pretty canon. After all, the whole game is pretty much just happening in someones head.

TheWriter

Master character.  Not geared particularly towards a certain Servant, so whoever wants to play Servant to her is welcome.  Just contact me by PM.

Jessica Bishop
An agent of the CIA, sent to investigate a series of mysterious murders in the south Michigan area.  The major suspects are individuals who recently arrived from Europe, hence the matter attracting federal interest.  During her investigation she discovers a body with the left hand removed.  At the scene of the crime, a ghost approaches her, the Servant of the dead Master.  The Servant notices a dormant magic circuit within the agent, and explains the situation; the agent deduces that participating in the Grail War will eventually lead her to the killer, and decides to forge a new contract with the Servant, despite having no idea what she's getting into.

Has no experience as a mage, but is a fully fledged agent, trained in self-defense and marksmanship.  Main tactic will be to attack the Master directly while the Servants are distracted fighting each other.  However, she is bound by orders to bring in all material witnesses alive, so will not shoot to kill.

We've already moved on, but just to be clear, the status of the Fuyuki Great Holy Grail doesn't matter because that's not the one we're using. :P

Chuukun

Yeah, so maybe your character could be investigating about the mass genocide that wiped out the city. Still, there are some more issues about it.

Considering that she would discover a body without the command spells, you could either think that someone took the servant, like it happened to Lancer or it was an unrelated accident. Bazetts arm was chopped off and Kirei took Lancer as his own Servant. If the arm was missing, it would be a real coincidence if that didn't had something to do with the War and her Servant. Maybe the master just died and left the Servant behind?

If it was an accident, I'd say that maybe the Archer class would be best, because of their trait of "Independent Action", which allows them to act without a master for sometime. Archer could do it for two days and Gilgamesh was able to retain his physical body indefinitely (although that had something to do with the grail). The other Servants can only remain in the world for a few hours after the contract is terminated. (I recall Saber saying that, if Shirou decides not to fight in the Grail War, she could retain her body for two more hours at most, after having fought already that day).

Plus, Doc Holliday being an American hero and teaming up with another American would make sense =D