Exalted 2.0

Started by Valkyr, September 22, 2008, 08:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valkyr

I’m not sure if it’s cool that one of first posts I make is an attempt to wrangle a storyteller but, here goes nothing.

I’m looking to play in a second edition exalted game, that’s main goal involves retaking Thorns from the Mask of Winters, and possibly even eliminating the Deathlord himself and his legion including the Juggernaut.  Before that, it could be a simple search for clues to find the Mask’s weakness, eliminating his power base in the scavenger lands and recruiting an army to assist in the coming battle.  Though, I’m open to just about anything, I’d like to find a circle as well instead of a single player campaign.

I’ve got a basic sketch of the type of character I’d like to play, a Thorns survivor and a member of the royal guard who escaped and exalted on the evening of the battle.  She will be blessed with a Zenith Exaltation.  She is shamed by her defeat, and throws her heart and soul into the purifying of the once great city.  Along the way, she discovers her knack for Righteous Devil Style.  Now, she travels the savage land looking for others like herself, who are prepared to do whatever it takes in her quest.

I would like to use the “Established” Solar rules from Lords of Creation.
Ons and Offs

This was never my world, you took the Angel away....

CaptainErotica

Sounds like fun. If I can find the rules online or something i would love to give this a try or even be the Storyteller once i get the rules down.

How much if any erotica were you looking for? nothing wrong with a straight up game, but this is an adult rp site after all.

Oh and I am in love with your AV.

*Gets on one knee and proposes to her AV*

Valkyr

I don't mind adult content in the game as long as it doesn't bog down the story.  Exalted can involve epic romance as much as it can involve epic action,  and Creation isn't without its deviancy.

*grin*  Thanks,  I was thinking of something a little different for her appearance though. 
Ons and Offs

Pumpkin Seeds

I wouldn't be opposed to playing in a game if a circle is forming.  I'm a little slow though from school during the week, but can certainly give it a try.

HairyHeretic

Basic rules for Exalted aren't too bad to learn. Roll (stat + skill + modifiers) d10s, any 7s or better are successes. You need X successes to do whatever you were trying to do.

Exalted is pretty popular, so the rules are generally torrented within days of a new book coming out. I'm a rather big fan of it myself, and have a complete set of books, 1st and 2nd ed both. Likewise, if a circle is forming, I'd be interested.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Valkyr

This is completely off topic but the Monkey King is a bad ass...
Ons and Offs

Pumpkin Seeds

Well it looks like a Circle is coming together if a GM is interested in playing with them.

CaptainErotica

How different is 2.0 compared to core Exhalted?

Muse

Me me!  Pick me, pick me! 

i'm running two exalted games here, both recruiting, but neither fit what you're describing, and I'd love a chance to play. 

Robguy, 2,0 is much more streamlined for tabletop play, but the tick system for initiative rather than the turn system can be dificult online. 

I'll be happy to help you with the new edition. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

CaptainErotica

I was asking because I can get a *legal* PDF of the origional Rules, but would have to seek other means to get the 2.0 rules.

Vekseid

The 2nd edition rules have a lot of similarities, but you can see most of the important differences in the Return to the Tomb of Five Corners pdf.

For myself, I'm still looking for someone to run a high-powered empire building game... anywhere is fine, really.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Valkyr on September 23, 2008, 02:49:01 AM
This is completely off topic but the Monkey King is a bad ass...

Yup. Got to admire someone who can fight the entire Hosts of Heaven to a standstill  :D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 23, 2008, 01:06:25 PM
Yup. Got to admire someone who can fight the entire Hosts of Heaven to a standstill  :D

I wonder what kind of Exalted the Monkey King would be?  Solar or Sidereal?

HairyHeretic

If you take him pre-Heaven, I'd almost be inclined to say Lunar. He was a monkey to start with, after all.

After his exploits in Heaven, Sidereal is probably a better fit, but he is more along the lines of a God at that point, at least in terms of powers.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

I do kind of agree with the Sidereal, especially if someone said Chosen of Journeys..or maybe a very riddle leaning Chosen of Secrets.  Though I wonder if it would work better if he was Solar so that goofy attitude might fit better.

HairyHeretic

I'm not sure I'd call his attitude goofy. Irreverent might be better. Have you read Journey to the West, or just seen one of the films with Monkey?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

KingMob

*raises hands*  Me.  As in, I want to play.  Granted, straight-up Exalted 2e -does- make my teeth hurt slightly, and I'll have to review Dreams of the First Age for the 'Established' rules, but I'm determined to play an artifact-crafting, nation-annihiliating Twilight, even if it kills me.

Granted, as I've pointed out previously, the challenge with Exalted games is finding an ST.

Pumpkin Seeds

Yeah that does seem to be the issue unless Robguy is wanting to shoulder the pain.

CaptainErotica

I've never played 1.0 let alone 2.0. I'm far from qualified to be the ST. However, if I can get a hold of the the right books i can read up on it and give it a go. If I find it in PDF form (Can get 1.0 this way) then I could be ready to go by next week. If I try to order through amazon it will take longer -not wanting to do that anyway because shipping would cost me more than the book itself. Anyway if that doesn't scare everyone off I'll keep you posted.

KingMob

Robguy:  My understanding of certain matters is that it's relatively simple to find less-than-legal copies of virtually all the 2e and 1e books.

So I've heard.

For a more -legal- manner of going about and purchasing the books in a timely fashion, you can head over to Drivethrough RPG, which allows you to purchase and download all the Exalted 2e/1e books in PDF format.

You can also login and download 'Return to the Tomb of Five Corners' for free, which offers a preview and premade charachters/scenario for 2e play.

CaptainErotica

Yeah I saw the Exhalted books on Drivethru, but thought it was 1.0. I also don't mind using a torrent, but either way i need to get my desktop rebuilt first. I'm hoping to have it up and running in the next week or two. This month hasn't been kind to my spending allowance since school was on summer break my pay was only 50% of my normal pay. Anyway thanks for the information. I'll take another look at Drivethru.

Muse

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 24, 2008, 02:44:10 AM
I'm not sure I'd call his attitude goofy. Irreverent might be better. Have you read Journey to the West, or just seen one of the films with Monkey?

If you read the first half of Monkey/Journey to the West, you'll find that Monkey is in fact an Earth Elemental.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

CaptainErotica

i just picked up the 2.p rules book and a heaping handful of others so I am willing to give St a try as lnog as you don't mind giving me a few days to read the rules, and have patience with me being a new ST. I do have tons of GM/ST experience in other systems so it shouldn't be too bad.

KingMob

Quote from: Robguy on September 25, 2008, 06:24:35 AM
  i just picked up the 2.p rules book and a heaping handful of others so I am willing to give St a try as lnog as you don't mind giving me a few days to read the rules, and have patience with me being a new ST. I do have tons of GM/ST experience in other systems so it shouldn't be too bad.

I promise to be gentle.

Mostly.

Seriously, I'm -so- not going to to complain if you're willing to give ST'ing Exalted a shot. 

CaptainErotica

The setting looks awesome so far. I wish I would have tried this one sooner.

Mia

So an exalted harlet would be ok?
I would like to meet the woman that invented sex to see what she is working on now.

ON and OFF: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8615.0

KingMob

Quote from: Mia on September 25, 2008, 07:16:18 AM
So an exalted harlet would be ok?

Compared to, say, D&D, I've found even vanilla Exalted games tend to be pretty heavy on the sexuality-aspect, and the majority of 'canon' relationships in the books tend to be far from heteronormative.  One of the famous charachters from Dreams of the First Age is a Fire-aspect Dragonblood who's a professional courtesean and rightly inscensed by slowly being forced out of her job by creations specifically designed and bred to fulfill the role of pleasure-slaves.

She even has a set of artifact, armored, lingerie.

In other words, it wouldn't be anything that hadn't been done before.   ;D

Mia

My view of Exalted, especially 2.0 is that it has very much of the same feel as Robert Jordan's books about Dragon Reborn... at least it has in the games I have played in.
I would like to meet the woman that invented sex to see what she is working on now.

KingMob

It depends on the ST, I've found.  In the longest running Vanilla-type campaign that I was in, my charachter had to deal with seductive, incestuous Dragonblooded Cynis backer conducting a party completely nude barring jewelry and essence, an essence 6 Dragonblooded immaculate shapeshifting a prepubescent male fire-aspect Dragonblood to female to hide him/her from some complications, had a whore-ish, cross-dressing male Eclipse caste Solar get turned female by his/her first age male Lunar spouse, and had to personally deal with gaining ownership of a former celestial Goddess with dependancy and submission issues. 

I won't even go into the botched prayer rolls he managed. 

Transgirlenstein

I've never played Exalted..but Im interested.  If someone can help me find a..less then legal copy I would be willing to try and play if there is room.
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Vekseid

Exalted in the second age would be better described as heteroidontfreakingcare - it's typical for young (sub ~100 years) Exalts to stick to their normal sexual preferences, though Dynastic Dragon-Blooded are certainly encouraged to experiment. In Dreams of the First Age, it's quite heteronormative - not in the sense that being heterosexual is bad, but in the sense that having not experienced something is considered 'bad', at least by celestials.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Robguy on September 25, 2008, 06:24:35 AM

I think there's enough people familiar with the rules that we can help you fill in any blanks.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

quote author=Robguy link=topic=21383.msg832905#msg832905 date=1222341875]
[/quote]

I think we'll be a gentle crew for you to start with and seems there's alot of expierence floating around in here.

HairyHeretic

Yup. For myself, played pen and paper 1st and 2nd ed games, ran a 1st ed Abyssals campaign (Infernal Badgers FTW  ;D) and played a few on RPoL that have lasted varying lengths of time. I also have a complete book set, 1st and 2nd ed both, bar I think a new Compass of Terrestial Directions got released this week.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Valkyr

Thanks Rob,  I'd be willing to lower the power level to starting level characters thanks to your level of experience.
Ons and Offs

Mia

If we are going for stereotypes here I want to pick the seducer and healer!

Valkyr

Ah, well if were "Calling" things

Zenith caste, fire and brimstone monster hunter specializing in righteous devil style.  (Firewand based martial art)
Ons and Offs

Mia

I'll guess that would make me a Zenith (even if that would be unnecessary as Valkyr would play that) or a Twilight.

ZK

*flops about* I'm not sure how I missed this one. WAR has been taking up way too much time. Any room for anymore or if things go, I guess another type of Celestial if you'd have me. ^^
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Chris Brady

Is there room for another player?  I'll be the Token beatstick,-er Dawn Caste...

I will never run Exalted (I swear that game is designed to be run by masochists :) ), but I'd love to play in it...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

HairyHeretic

I aim to dust off Raven, my swashbuckling Night Caste. I still haven't had a proper go with him, as the game's he gets into tend to fold before they really get going.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

I'd go for an Eclipse if nobody else wants them.  Delve into the secrets of the other supernaturals and such.

KingMob

And I expressed my urge to play a Twilight when I first posted.  Likely with sorcery, crafting, and probably some social-fu, as all my charachters inevitably end up with social-fu.  Though the 2e system makes this slightly difficult to handle, and alot less likely if we're playing lower-powered charachters. 

CaptainErotica

Okay,

I have the following people who have expressed interest.

Valkyr
Mia
Muse
Asku
Hairy Heretic
King Mob
ZK
Chris Brady
Tripping Satyr

That's 9 players. Quite a few, especially for my first go as ST, but it shouldn't be a problem.

At this time I am not accepting anymore players.

I like Valkyr's origional story idea. from what I have digested of the rules so far, it sounds like it would be fun. However, I am going to go ahead and do this with recently "Exalted" characters, so her idea might be too powerful. With 9 characters it might work out okay. I'll know more in a day or two.

for now let's plan on running with her idea. you can start getting your characters ready if you want. Though there will be a good deal of fighting, non combat skills will come in handy as well.

Valkyr

Well, my character is still possible at character creation.  She won't be a master of her martial arts style, but that's okay.  But,  I'm not sure I can make the character anyway, what books did you manage to get?
Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

Are there any restrictions you want to put in place? It's quite possible I may want to take equipment at least from books you may not have (yet). Raven is an ex-Ashigaru from Lookshy, so he still has his Ashigaru skirmish armour and a shock pike. I can provide stats on everything I would plan to use.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ZK

Way things are going, either Castes are going to double up, or some of us could play as Lunars with perhaps Solar Bond to some of the PCs. That always proves interesting.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Chris Brady

What books are allowed?

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

HairyHeretic

Quote from: ZK on September 26, 2008, 01:16:28 PM
Way things are going, either Castes are going to double up, or some of us could play as Lunars with perhaps Solar Bond to some of the PCs. That always proves interesting.

That could be fun too.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

Hp hip huzzzzah!  *Dances!* 

Mia

Ok I am going through the things with my character wanting her to be able to seduce people and to turn people's head. What in earth shall I take? What I can find there aren't that many charm that actually does that...

Checked on Lunars as well and they had even less.

I will be a good healer as well...

Muse

Mia-chan, may i sugest the Solar charms from the Perform or Pressence tree? 

Husband Seducing Demon Dance is one of my favorites.  :) 

By the way, if this intrests you, I have another that might as well, and we have another guy joining up if he gets out of Cued Introdductions. 

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Mia on September 27, 2008, 06:29:52 AM
Ok I am going through the things with my character wanting her to be able to seduce people and to turn people's head. What in earth shall I take? What I can find there aren't that many charm that actually does that...

Performance and Presence charm trees, as already stated.  Some of the investigation ones could also prove useful. Probably not the Socialize ones, as they're more group focused.

The Medicine tree, obviously. Body Mending Meditation from the Resistance tree is always a good one to have, though its self healing.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

KingMob

Checked on Lunars as well and they had even less.

High appearance.  You want atleast appearance 5 if you're going for 'Could shame the ladies of the Dynastic courts'.  Presence is the ability used for seduction, iirc, so a Presence Excellency covers that, as well.

There are no insta-heal charms for Exalted.  The closest you can get to insta-heal is by summoning up Demons and Elementals to Heal, or using an old Lunars 1e charm, which was pretty much the only good thing from that book.

Mind, compared to normal healing times, Solars can force others and themselves to heal insanely quickly with a charm in a combo, but it's still going to take a day of in-game time.

Lunars are actually better suited to getting higher appearance, as they have charms that can increase all, yes, all physical attributes.  Appearance 5 is the human maximum, and Lunars can spend essence to get up to Appearance 10.

CaptainErotica

As far as books go as long as it is an official Exalted sourcebook then you can use it, but I will most likely have to ask you to detail the info if it is a book I don't have. Currently i have the following books. I will allow a couple of Lunar Exalts, but would like most of you to be Solar.

Core Rulebook
Sorcery I-IV
Compass of Terrestrial Directions Scavenger Lands, The West and Blessed Isle
Manual of Exalted Power Sidereal, Lunar and Dragon Blooded
Scroll of Esoteric Wisdom I:Scroll of the Monk
Scroll of the Monk: Imperfect Lotus
Manacle & Coin
5 Tombs

ZK

I'd like to play as a Lunar then, as many other people before me had the chance to be a Solar. If you do the Solar Bond thing, I'd suggest it be a free background to a certain extent if it's bound to a PC. As the background is obviously made for an NPC Solar/Abyssal.

HairyHeretic

We've used it in another game. One free dot, more can be bought as normal.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chris Brady

I got two ideas.

First is an Even Blade stylist/dodger, or a Solar Hero fighter/soak machine.  Gotta pick one...

Pumpkin Seeds

I'm still up in the air.  Thinking of dusting off an old character of mine..she's a Dawn caste but is more of a calvary commander/archer.  She has a bone to pick with the Mask of Winters though so she might fit in nicely.

Mia

To actually seduce or influence people do I have to have high Manipulation score? Or is Appearance and Charisma enough?

ZK

Manipulation or Appearance. Depends on measure of your seduction. Charisma would be used to win someone over without any ulterior motives.

Pumpkin Seeds

So far as I understand the stats.

Appearance is more like self-confidence and a first impression sort of thing.  Using Apperance and say Presence would be to catch someone's attention and hold that attention.  Appearance is probably more quick and primal, tapping more into lust than anything else.

Manipulation is twisting someone around your fingers most likely.  You learn to lie and disguise your motives, make them think that your wishes are their own etc. etc. 

Charisma is making someone geniunely like you.  Through conversation, actions and such they really like the person that you present and want to be around you.

Mia

Darn :) which means I have to choose. Well Appearance will be maximized anyway, then I will have to see if I choose the Charisma path or Manipulation.

Pumpkin Seeds

Well if you are going for the stereotypical seductress, I'd focus on Manipulation over Charisma.  Charisma is more like the faerie princess who everyone in the kingdom adores.

ZK

Appearance will be my dump-stat. Same for all the other Socials. Yay!

Muse

I might reprise Yume, my oldest exalted charecter, but with a rather difrent spin on how to stat her out.  ^_^ 

KingMob

*rummages around for a specific charachter and finds him*  Oh.  Oh yes.  I think it's time to see if Clockwork Shards can come out to play.  Perverse curmudgeon of a Twilight, I think I'll temper down the bastard part of his makeup and try and accentuate the more fun aspects of the charachter. 

Valkyr

I have Righteous Kiss of the Flames,  ready to purify the souls of the wicked with licking tongues of holy fire.  *grin*  Should I post her here or send her to you Robguy?
Ons and Offs

Chris Brady

*Ponders* So which do I want to make...  *Ponders*

Methos

I'd be interested in trying out exalted I have a copy of the rules. Admittedly I've yet to try them out. But if there is still room in the game I'd be interested in giving it a whirl.
"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."

Ons and offs https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13590

CaptainErotica

You can start sending me characters via PM if you want, but I still have some time to go before I am ready. Some of the rules seem pretty complex, but once i get my feet wet it should be okay. I usualyl learn better by doing rather than reading.

@Methos - I wasn't going to take anymore players, but I will let you join in to give me an even ten. I am not going to go higher than that. Anything above 8 starts to bof things down, but I can roll with ten.

Methos

Cool :) I'll start working at getting a character put together then.
"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."

Chris Brady

Bear with me for a few, making an Exalted character from scratch isn't easy, at least for me.

HairyHeretic

Rob, can you give me a yay or nay on that idea I PMed you about before I start stating the character up?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

CaptainErotica

@ Hairy-  It does sound like a pretty fun concept. For now I'll say go for it, but once I get a better grasp of the rules I may ask you to change it. I don't see it being a problem though.

HairyHeretic

Sound. Don't think I'm going to have time to do anything on it today, but should be able to get you a sheet through tomorrow.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Mia

Will give my character a last check up then I will send it in.

Chris Brady

I'm going to back out.  Taking one look at the system made me realize that for the work involved isn't going to work well.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass this time.  Have fun guys!

Methos

Well I've sort of ginned up a solar dawn cast that's melee and war charm built. Although I can't say this rule system is anything that resembles 'user friendly'.

KingMob

It's not exactly the most easy system to get into, no.  While I adore the setting and thematics, despite having played exalted for several years, I'll admit that there are sections of the rule systems that I have 1) never used, and 2) would gleefully take a crowbar too, given half the chance.

Methos

I can absolutely agree that the setting and themes are rather interesting. The first portion of the manual was enjoyable, and the comics are a nice touch as well. Well the rest of it was less good, it resembles the vampire the masquerade rules only more convulted and non-sensical. Still I'd like to give it a shot the setting does look quite fun.

Muse

If anyone needs assistance, my IIMs are in my profile, and I'll be on a lot Saturday. 

Hm... 

but now I'm quite torn on what to play. 

Rob, have you had good thoughts on what section the game is going in? 

is anywone playing a lunar yet?  A dragon blooded/  An elemetnal? 

Are any of the solars looking for a lunar mate for that matter? 

Mia

I could have a lunar mate... ;)

HairyHeretic

I think ZK was toying with the idea of playing a Lunar.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ZK

If there is so many Solars, I'd play a Lunar or anything else Celestial.

Muse

How's it coming, Hairy? 

KingMob

Alright.  Charachter sheet for Clockwork Shards, ugly bastard of a twilight who enjoys life far too much, sent in via PM.  Anyone who's morbidly curious, just give me a nudge and I'll send you a copy of his life history/appearance/personality part of his charsheet.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Muse on October 07, 2008, 03:02:22 AM
How's it coming, Hairy? 

So far .. um .. it hasn't.

Just too many other things been piling up on me. *sigh* Hopefully I can get some time Thursday night to do the character sheet. It shouldn't take too long, as all I really need to do is points check an old one and I'll be good to go.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Methos

I think I've all the numbers crunched for my character. I'll flesh out the bells and whistles such as a description and history in the next couple days.

Jineriq

I know there's an awful lot of people in here already, but I was wondering if you might have room for another?

I know you weren't going to take any more, but it looked like someone split.

CaptainErotica

Sorry for keeping everyone waiting, but in case you missed my rant i am having some serious issues with my work. I still plan on running. this, but it is currently on hold until I solve my personal problems.

@Jineriq-  Once i get back into this I'll take a look at who I've got and consider you, but no promises. I hate saying no to potential players, but escpecialy since it is my first shot at being an Exhalted -or even playing it for that matter- I need to try and keep the group size in check.

Jineriq

I completely understand. Good luck, and if there does happen to be an opening in the future, I'll seek you out. Or vice versa.