News:

Main Menu

Avengers the Movie

Started by Callie Del Noire, April 05, 2012, 02:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Avengers is going to rock..they are letting just enough fun to make me want to see the movie NOW!

http://www.joblo.com/video/player.php?video=marvel_s_the-avengers_clip-1

And..then there is Coulson in the Marvel One-Shots.
http://www.joblo.com/video/player.php?video=the-consultant
http://www.joblo.com/video/player.php?video=marvel-one-shot2

Coulson.. is THE MAN!

Rinzler

I'm as rocked as hell for this film too. And like everyone else who's got an interest in this, I'm still none the wiser as who these beings are that constitutes Loki's army. Initial clues suggested Skrulls, but that's been flatly denied by the people involved. Course, that could still mean the Skrulls Ultimate counterparts, The Chitauri, could be involved.

Other suggestions have been The Badoon and The Sons of Muspell. But the ones these creatures look closest to are the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim:

But it's still anyone's guess at the moment. I honestly reckon the identity of these aliens is deliberately being kept secret in order to stoke up interest in the film. The tactic certainly seems to be working :-)

And the rumours that Thanos might make an appearance have resurfaced again...

Shjade

Quote from: DeMalachine on April 05, 2012, 03:06:01 PM
Other suggestions have been The Badoon and The Sons of Muspell. But the ones these creatures look closest to are the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim
Given Loki shows up in the trailer, that sounds reasonable.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Cold Heritage

I'm fairly ambivalent about the Avengers . . . all I want is a full length, feature film about Agent Coulson.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Cold Heritage on April 05, 2012, 06:11:02 PM
I'm fairly ambivalent about the Avengers . . . all I want is a full length, feature film about Agent Coulson.

I figure that I could be very happy with more 'Marvel One Shots.' with him and the guy from 'The Consultant'.

summoner2183

If you are talking about Loki, then the Jotun would not be far behind, I think.

midwestgal

Which DVD is the Consultant one shot on? I know the Thor's Hammer one is on the Captain America DVD.
"He cannot be a part of me. Batman does not eat nachos!" - Batman, The Brave and The Bold

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: midwestgal on April 07, 2012, 02:24:53 PM
Which DVD is the Consultant one shot on? I know the Thor's Hammer one is on the Captain America DVD.

Think it was the Thor Blu Ray.

midwestgal

Ah, I'll have to check it out then. I just bought that a few weeks ago. We're planning a little marathon party before going to see The Avengers.

"He cannot be a part of me. Batman does not eat nachos!" - Batman, The Brave and The Bold

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: midwestgal on April 07, 2012, 02:36:07 PM
Ah, I'll have to check it out then. I just bought that a few weeks ago. We're planning a little marathon party before going to see The Avengers.

Doing he same in the theater.  They are doing a special. 

HockeyGod

I am still upset they cast Chris Evans as 2 different Marvel super-heroes. I can't picture him as Captain America when I'm picturing him as the Human Torch.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: alxnjsh on April 07, 2012, 07:30:03 PM
I am still upset they cast Chris Evans as 2 different Marvel super-heroes. I can't picture him as Captain America when I'm picturing him as the Human Torch.

sorry..after the ending scene in Time Square where you see it hitting him that his world was gone.. I don't see him as Johnny Storm anymore. He's Cap to me now. :D

Shjade

He's both.

He's... The Human America!
◕/◕'s

Tiberius

lol *snort*

But this is going to be awesome, Loki is like indestructible obviously after floating in the void he's still around. But they have small-ish fighters that shoot blue crap so I doubt it is the frost giants, but there are multiple different beings that inhabit that realm. The interesting this is how were they able to find Earth? Have they discovered another gateway bridge? Or have they somehow managed to find Earth on star maps?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Tiberius on April 07, 2012, 10:27:06 PM
lol *snort*

But this is going to be awesome, Loki is like indestructible obviously after floating in the void he's still around. But they have small-ish fighters that shoot blue crap so I doubt it is the frost giants, but there are multiple different beings that inhabit that realm. The interesting this is how were they able to find Earth? Have they discovered another gateway bridge? Or have they somehow managed to find Earth on star maps?

I don't know.. but the 'offical movie merch' includes.. Skulls. And that thing Iron Man is chased by looks like the 'movieverse' version of the world serpent sorta thing.

Tiberius

Jormungandr? The world snake? Otherwise known as the Midgard Serpent and son of Loki. According to the legend Thor kills Jormungandr during Ragnarok then dies soon after having being poisoned by the great serpent.

Will be interesting to see how they interpret this, as Loki has two other children, the giant grey wolf Fenrir and Hel goddess of the underworld.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: alxnjsh on April 07, 2012, 07:30:03 PM

That's the same guy? I had no idea.

Wolfy

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 08, 2012, 01:02:30 PM
That's the same guy? I had no idea.

Me neither.

But Captain America being able to light himself on fire and throw a flaming shield?

YES PLEASE.

Rinzler

Early tweets from the screening two days ago (I think it was two days, anyway) suggest that the film is pretty damn good, and that the hulk is just...well, excellent.

Shjade

Quote from: Wolfy on April 08, 2012, 02:00:35 PM
Me neither.

But Captain America being able to light himself on fire and throw a flaming shield?

YES PLEASE.

Would never happen, even if Cap got fire powers.

Captain America, setting an image of the American flag on fire?

Never happen.
◕/◕'s

Rinzler

Just seen it today. Alas, the standout moments for me are a bit too spoilerish to be revealed right now, but suffice it to say...oh fuckin hell, it's great. One thing they got right was how each of the superheroes were introduced into the movie; nothing felt contrived or shoehorned in - there was a distinct impression that they were all brought together for reasons that went back into their own individual storylines. In fact, a number of plot elements from the previous standalone superhero movies had resonances with this story, and it worked really, really well.

I saw the 3D version - I'd say the effect was workmanlike but not standout; then again, the 3D did in no way distract from anything that was going on on-screen. So IMO you're not gaining or losing much from watching either the 2D or 3D version - it's just down to a matter of personal preference.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: DeMalachine on April 26, 2012, 04:04:28 PM
Just seen it today. Alas, the standout moments for me are a bit too spoilerish to be revealed right now, but suffice it to say...oh fuckin hell, it's great. One thing they got right was how each of the superheroes were introduced into the movie; nothing felt contrived or shoehorned in - there was a distinct impression that they were all brought together for reasons that went back into their own individual storylines. In fact, a number of plot elements from the previous standalone superhero movies had resonances with this story, and it worked really, really well.

I saw the 3D version - I'd say the effect was workmanlike but not standout; then again, the 3D did in no way distract from anything that was going on on-screen. So IMO you're not gaining or losing much from watching either the 2D or 3D version - it's just down to a matter of personal preference.

Did you see and early preview or something as the release date is for May 4?
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Rinzler

In the UK - where I am - it was released today. Dunno why it was released a few days before the US version; I guess the people involved in the marketing strategy must have their reasons.

HairyHeretic

I saw it was on in my local cinema yesterday as well, though I didn't have time to go to it. Probably will next week though.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inception

Can't wait. This movie is going to be too epic.

Mathim

I plan on waiting at least a week after it first comes out here to avoid all the fuss. The first couple of days, the place is going to be PACKED with people, talking and doing stuff to distract from what's happening. I want to see it but I want to enjoy it to the fullest too, so that's the sacrifice I have to make. Plus that'll give me a chance to see what critics have to say about it. If they say it's better than they thought Thor was, I'll definitely have high expectations going in.

Speaking of Chris Evans being Human Torch/Captain America, the FF movies were terrible and that's why it's okay that he's playing Cap now, because the others were so forgettable. The common denominator with all these Marvel movies and whether they suck or not is down to the script; Since their success rate is below 50%, I'm conflicted about being seriously excited about The Avengers. I want to be excited but I don't want to be let down. It's not like the Batman movies where both of them were off the chain so I can't help but be seriously excited about The Dark Knight Rises. I'll just have to cross my fingers.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Chris Brady

For me it's the opposite, most of Marvel movies made after the Blade movie have been 'good' to 'WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE!'  Whereas the DC non-animated films have mostly been subpar.  Did not like the second Batman movie (which I saw first, out of the trilogy) but the first was cool.  Superman was OK, the Green Lantern just plain sucked.

So I am jazzed to see this.

Also, Great Britain has got an exclusive deal for an early release.  Everywhere else is May 4th.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Mathim

Quote from: Chris Brady on April 27, 2012, 05:42:23 PM
For me it's the opposite, most of Marvel movies made after the Blade movie have been 'good' to 'WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE!'  Whereas the DC non-animated films have mostly been subpar.  Did not like the second Batman movie (which I saw first, out of the trilogy) but the first was cool.  Superman was OK, the Green Lantern just plain sucked.

So I am jazzed to see this.

Also, Great Britain has got an exclusive deal for an early release.  Everywhere else is May 4th.

Well, I have to say that in terms of the movies relating to and leading up to the Avengers, yes, those were good; Incredible Hulk, Iron Man (not so much the second one, but not unbearable), Thor, Captain America, those were all very enjoyable, I thought. Could have used a little more of an intro for Hawkeye but there you go (am I the only one who's a little upset that he's white in the movie and not Native American like in the comics? Could they not find a decent actor who at least looks the part?)

When I said their success rate, I'm referring to other Marvel failures like both Ghost Rider films, Elektra (shudder), both F4's, and even Spidey's over-dramatic trilogy. It almost feels like deviating too far from the comics actually makes the movies worse on the whole, even if they 'have to' make them more accessible to non-comic-fans. At least they're attempting to make up for it with Amazing Spider-Man but the trilogy drained me of hope for Spidey's reboot. If the Avengers is as good as I'm daring to hope, then maybe I'll start trusting in Marvel again. They really ought to let actual comic book geeks write these scripts instead of the 'professionals'.

BTW, has anyone been able to find out why Norton abandoned the project and left Ruffalo playing Hulk instead?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Unofficially, it's apparently because he's kind of dick to work with.

Chris Brady

Mathim, Spiderman was not Marvel's fault.  Sony owns the movie rights to him, currently.  As for the Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Electra, FF et al. They were GOOD, not great.  But watchable for me, in fact, I own most of them and watch them regularily.

Also, Clint Barton, AKA Hawkeye has never been 'Native American'.  In both regular and Ultimate Marvel (Which these movies is based off of) he's a blond, blue eyed all American boy who grew up in an abused home, and actually, successfully joined the circus.

(Hawkeye, Capt. America fanboy.  >.>)

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Cold Heritage

Quote from: DeMalachine on April 26, 2012, 04:04:28 PM
Just seen it today. Alas, the standout moments for me are a bit too spoilerish to be revealed right now

Well, there are spoiler tags. Just saying. *coughs pointedly*

Quote from: Mathim on April 27, 2012, 05:56:00 PM
(am I the only one who's a little upset that he's white in the movie and not Native American like in the comics?)

I would hazard to say so; I imagine that the rest of us have been reading the comics where Hawkeye's been a blond haired, blue-eyed mega-WASP male since his introduction.

Rinzler

Quote from: Cold Heritage on April 27, 2012, 07:46:11 PM
Well, there are spoiler tags. Just saying. *coughs pointedly*

Hell, I just can't keep my fanboy glee bottled up any longer...  ;D

Please do not click on the spoiler tag below if you do not want your Avengers experience to be, uh, spoiled...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Thor and the Hulk having a major dust-up in the helicarrier - freakin YES!!! THOR AND HULK GOING AT IT HAMMER AND TONGS. Damn, I really wanted to see this in the film, and hot-diggity, it was there!  ;D

The Hulk jumping out of the helicarrier and onto a fighter jet, which he starts tearing the shit out of. Pilot ejects, but the Hulk catches him. Holy shit!

In fact, the whole sequence of the Hulk going on a major rampage in the helicarrier is just amazing.

Cap, trying to take charge of the situation by giving orders to some cops amidst some major alien mayhem. Cops aren't really interested, until Cap displays some rip-snortin badassery in kicking the shit out of a gang of Chitauri (yeah, they used the name for the Ultimates version of the Skrulls for the aliens - though they didn't shapeshift. In truth, the aliens were a little disappointing, as they were pretty much cannon fodder) which then try to jump him. Cops very eager to start taking his orders soon after.

Tony Stark's snarks: Refers to Thor as 'Shakespeare in the Park'. Suggests Banner might keep calm by smoking a lot of weed on the quiet.

Cap and Iron Man working together to repair a shattered engine of the helicarrier. Amazingly well done, real edge of your seat stuff - a good moment that shows Stark's finer qualities really coming through.

Agent Coulson's fan-love of Cap.

The way Hulk evens the score with Thor later. Basically, one hell of a sucker punch.

Loki finally meeting the Hulk. 'You can't bully me, I'm a god-" exclaims Loki, at which Hulk just picks Loki up and repeatedly smashes him against the floor. 'Puny god,' murmurs the Hulk, striding away as Loki is left in near-catatonic shock.

End credits reveal: Thanos. That is all.  ;D

Cold Heritage

I have heard a dismaying rumour, and in the name of all that is good in the world I need you to confirm or deny.

Does Agent Coulson get killed off? Don't sugar coat it. Give it to me straight, bro. I can handle it. I can take it. Even if it means having butt devastation equal to the force of a billion exploding suns.

Rinzler

Quote from: Cold Heritage on April 27, 2012, 10:25:44 PM
I have heard a dismaying rumour, and in the name of all that is good in the world I need you to confirm or deny.

Does Agent Coulson get killed off? Don't sugar coat it. Give it to me straight, bro. I can handle it. I can take it. Even if it means having butt devastation equal to the force of a billion exploding suns.

Response:

Yeah. Sorry. He buys it - however...there is a scene, involving Nick Fury and a certain set of Captain America collector cards, which might suggest Coulson may not have died. But it looked pretty final on screen, I have to say.

RubySlippers

Okay what exactly are the aliens Skrulls or something else?

Rinzler

Quote from: RubySlippers on April 28, 2012, 03:10:14 PM
Okay what exactly are the aliens Skrulls or something else?

They're Chitauri - the Ultimates version of the Skrulls. However, in this movie, they don't appear to shapeshift. In fact, they're little more than cannon fodder. One of the few weak points in the film, I thought.

LunarSage

Well, considering the FF movies were 100% Ultimates, I can just ignore those movies until they come out with the real (616) FF movies with the same feel as the Iron Man, Thor and Captain America movies.  Heck, I don't even consider the X-men movies to be the X-Men I grew up with.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Cold Heritage

Quote from: LunarSage on April 28, 2012, 06:13:57 PM
Well, considering the FF movies were 100% Ultimates

I wouldn't really go that far. In the Ultimates continuity, the Fantastic Four are twenty-somethings when their book started off, after all.

And it's probably worth taking into account that Ultimate Fanastic Four didn't start coming out until 2004, and the first Fantastic Four film hit theaters in June/July 2005.

Chris Brady

Quote from: LunarSage on April 28, 2012, 06:13:57 PM
Well, considering the FF movies were 100% Ultimates, I can just ignore those movies until they come out with the real (616) FF movies with the same feel as the Iron Man, Thor and Captain America movies.  Heck, I don't even consider the X-men movies to be the X-Men I grew up with.

Um, the Thor, Ironman and the Capt. America movie are also Ultimates universe.

The first X-Men movie was OK.  The second was decent.  The third doesn't exist.

LunarSage

Quote from: Chris Brady on April 29, 2012, 12:15:50 AM
Um, the Thor, Ironman and the Capt. America movie are also Ultimates universe.

Wha?  o.O

Those movies are all clearly 616.  The only thing even vaguely Ultimates about any of them is the absence of Cap's headwings.  That's the 616 Ironman armor.  That's most certainly -not- the stupid Ultimate Thor hammer/axe thing and that's 100% 616 Thor's armor.  Captain America has a purely Vibranium shield, which I think is stupid but I understand they didn't want to confuse moviegoers new to Marvel.  I don't believe that aspect was Ultimates.  Ultimates Cap is an ass as I recall.  That was most certainly 616 Cap.

TheGlyphstone

But Nick Fury is the Ultimate version, isn't he?

LunarSage

That's the only major Ultimate aspect I see in those movies, to be honest.

Chris Brady

Quote from: LunarSage on April 29, 2012, 02:09:18 AM
Wha?  o.O

Those movies are all clearly 616.  The only thing even vaguely Ultimates about any of them is the absence of Cap's headwings.  That's the 616 Ironman armor.  That's most certainly -not- the stupid Ultimate Thor hammer/axe thing and that's 100% 616 Thor's armor.  Captain America has a purely Vibranium shield, which I think is stupid but I understand they didn't want to confuse moviegoers new to Marvel.  I don't believe that aspect was Ultimates.  Ultimates Cap is an ass as I recall.  That was most certainly 616 Cap.

See that was the problem with the Ultimates version of the Marvel heroes, they were all asses.  But, most of the origin stories are pure Ultimate, they just toned down the asshole aspect of the characters (Stan Lee is great for that, he understand people.)  For example Cap's running out at the end of the his movie and getting culture shocked by all the new things is from the Ultimates.

It's not like they copied wholesale, they took bits and pieces from both sides, but it's mostly Ultimate styled stuff rather than the slightly campier 616.

I am not saying it's pure Ultimates, it's all the best parts of it.

LunarSage

I stopped reading Ultimates shortly after they first came out because I thought they were so horrible.  All I can say is the movies give me a solid 616 vibe, where with the FF movies all I got was an Ultimates vibe. 

Doom doesn't have super powers!  >.<

Chris Brady

Quote from: LunarSage on April 29, 2012, 02:13:51 PM
I stopped reading Ultimates shortly after they first came out because I thought they were so horrible.  All I can say is the movies give me a solid 616 vibe, where with the FF movies all I got was an Ultimates vibe. 

Doom doesn't have super powers!  >.<

Yes he does.  He's a full on Wizard and technical genius on par with Tony Stark (unless Stark has been rated higher than Reed Richards in intelligence again.)  And that's the 616 version.

LunarSage

Those aren't super powers.  He's just really smart and has learned how to cast spells.  The way he was portrayed in the FF movies made my skin crawl... making him just another super being (IMO) belittles the awesomeness that is Doom.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: LunarSage on April 29, 2012, 02:23:18 PM
Those aren't super powers.  He's just really smart and has learned how to cast spells.  The way he was portrayed in the FF movies made my skin crawl... making him just another super being (IMO) belittles the awesomeness that is Doom.

I liked Ultimate Doom..he was arrogant, insufferable and able to created bleeding edge tech from discarded cellphones!

Remy

I watched it last night.  And I'm very sorry, but I just didn't get it.  I thought I'd love it, as I liked Thor, and I loved Captain America, and I loved the Hulk ( even if it was with a different actor) but all of them together just didn't cut it for me. 

Glad to see so many enjoyed it though.

Cold Heritage

QuoteIt's not like they copied wholesale

Or even at all. Except for Captain America, whose Ultimate origin doesn't even bother to be different from 616 apart from Rogers not being cast from the same moral mold Superman is so often castigated for being from.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Cold Heritage on April 29, 2012, 03:31:54 PM
Or even at all. Except for Captain America, whose Ultimate origin doesn't even bother to be different from 616 apart from Rogers not being cast from the same moral mold Superman is so often castigated for being from.

Well I see it as more of a 'man out of time'. You got a guy who was raised back when things were a LOT different culturally than today, and literally snatched him out of a war unlike any before or since. He was a guy in the trenches, the one leading the charge. A man who had fought on the front lines for years. I liked the 'soldier' in the movie and am curious to see how the 'man out of time' comes up in the movie this week. I loved that lost look on his face in Times Square when he first started to realize what he lost. One of the things that I hope they put in the DVD/BluRay is the scene that got cut where he gets to see Peggy in the present. Definitently.

Cold Heritage

All I'm saying is that there isn't a lot of Ultimates to go around in these movies.

Sabby

I just got home from seeing. I'm not one of those people who can't wat h 3D without a headache. I'm fine with it. But this one... Ho boy x.x I wanted to leave a few times. The picture was just ATROCIOUS. The backgrounds were blurred, any dark scene was near pitch black from the glasses, and anything moving too much seemed to... I dunno, fuzz up and stretch :/ so most of the action scenes were impossible to follow...

It was just one huge headache. I don't regret seeing it... It was good CGI porn. But I refuse to see it in 3D again.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Cold Heritage on April 29, 2012, 04:41:41 PM
All I'm saying is that there isn't a lot of Ultimates to go around in these movies.

There's a lot more than you obviously see, CH.  You haven't read most of the books, otherwise you'd see it.  Now, like I said, there are some good things in both 616 and Ultimates, and luckily they managed to use the good stuff.

Although, my excitement has been reigned in somewhat.  Apparently, this is a Joss Whedon project, which means there's likely going to be some irrationally silly reactions from the characters as his sense of humour forces it's way onto the characters.  I'm also surprised that Carol Danvers AKA Ms. Marvel doesn't show up, as his fetish for woe, misery and tortured supergirls would make her a perfect fit.

sava

Hello, midnight showing!
I write, therefore I am! I am, therefore I write! (It's a chicken and the egg kind of thing)

JDrew Spider

Yes Avenger!!! Would of been nice if Ms. Marvel or Black Panther could pop up though.

Even Giant Man and Wasps would of been nice. Black Widow hold it down for us girls!
"Congratulations, you are no longer the most screwed over person on the planet". JD

Spider Hole
Apologies

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: JDrew Spider on May 02, 2012, 05:11:49 PM
Yes Avenger!!! Would of been nice if Ms. Marvel or Black Panther could pop up though.

Even Giant Man and Wasps would of been nice. Black Widow hold it down for us girls!

Well there was talk of putting the Wasp in the movie originally but they couldn't get it to work. Maybe after they get the Ant Man movie moving along.

LunarSage

Ant Man gets his own movie?  Seriously?  o.O

Ant Man?

~At the superhero convention~

Superman:  *to Ant Man*  So what do you do, friend?

Ant Man:  Well, I can shrink down to the size of an insect but still retain my human strength!

Superman:  *laughing*  Uh oh, guys... look out, he's got the strength of a man!

*The other superheroes burst into riotous laughter*

--------

Nah, seriously... I know he's actually kind of badass with the growing ability as well, but there are other Avengers characters who in my opinion deserve their own movie more.  I'd love to see Tigra done in live action.  Meow!

Rinzler

Quote from: LunarSage on May 02, 2012, 05:19:18 PM
Ant Man gets his own movie?  Seriously?  o.O

Ant Man?

~At the superhero convention~

Superman:  *to Ant Man*  So what do you do, friend?

Ant Man:  Well, I can shrink down to the size of an insect but still retain my human strength!

Superman:  *laughing*  Uh oh, guys... look out, he's got the strength of a man!

*The other superheroes burst into riotous laughter*

ROFL!

JDrew Spider

What??? Ant MAN???...

I was just kidding...
"Congratulations, you are no longer the most screwed over person on the planet". JD

Spider Hole
Apologies

Chris Brady

I find it hard that they would do a Hank Pym film.  After all, he's well known in the comic community as a wife beater.  (Ah, Egghead, you managed to do the one thing that no other supervillain has ever managed to do in the history of comics.  With a single panel, a single scene, you managed to utterly destroy the credibility of a Super Hero.  And all you had to do is mind control him ONCE and have him hit Wasp ONCE and he's known a woman beater for life.  Nicely done, my friend.  Nicely done.)

Callie Del Noire

I'm off to the marathon. See y'all in many hours. 

Callie Del Noire

Wow.. so many one liners.. and.. I think the Hulk had the best.. it was close though.

AllieCat

My review of the Avengers movie: GLEE GLEE GLEE GLEE GLEE GLEE!

I'm just pissed I apparently missed the best one liner of the movie..

When Loki finally snaps and tells the Hulk that he will not be touched by such a degenerate (or something similar), and Hulk casually beats him into the ground.. and says something.. the whole audience was laughing so hard I missed it

LunarSage

Quote from: AllieCat on May 04, 2012, 02:42:48 AM

When Loki finally snaps and tells the Hulk that he will not be touched by such a degenerate (or something similar), and Hulk casually beats him into the ground.. and says something.. the whole audience was laughing so hard I missed it

It was... "Puny god".

So all I have to say is wow!  Great movie in my eyes.  I won't give details about why, but man oh man!  The post credits scene was even better than the rest of the movie!  I think I had a geekgasm!  ;D

Jag

I wanna see it!

*checks her wallet*

Ccccrrraaappp....
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Chris Brady

Might see it this week.  Not sure yet.

Aiden

This is exactly what happened, wasn't expecting that! I laughed till my sides hurt.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Aiden on May 04, 2012, 03:34:16 PM
This is exactly what happened, wasn't expecting that! I laughed till my sides hurt.

I had to google the scene..

Since everyone was laughing so hard as the Hulk bounced Loki's head off the floor TWENTY FOUR times.
The second point was where the Hulk suckerpunched Thor.

JDrew Spider

I want to go to see it too, but I doubt I'll be heading to the movie theater any time soon.

Spider Hole
Apologies

Josietta

Quote from: Michi No Sora on May 04, 2012, 11:34:17 AM
I wanna see it!

*checks her wallet*

Ccccrrraaappp....

Shoulda came over Michi hon, we had an extra ticket last night! Might I add the Avengers were hot! Specially my Cap, Thor and Hawkeye (who was a freaking badass!) *swoon*

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Ashleebabe

I am dying to know what the post credit scene is.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.

LunarSage

Quote from: Ashleebabe on May 04, 2012, 05:57:10 PM

That was Thanos of Titan, the most badass villain in the Marvel U.

Jag

*needs to stop coming in here because she cannot resist clicking the spoiler tags*

O__O

LunarSage

Quote from: Michi No Sora on May 04, 2012, 06:05:42 PM
*needs to stop coming in here because she cannot resist clicking the spoiler tags*

O__O

Awww now I feel bad for posting it, even in a spoiler.   :-(

Jag

No, don't feel bad about it. It's my own fault. I know I shouldn't click them, but I do anyway. It's a disease.

AllieCat

well, that was only the PRE-Credits spoiler.

There was a post-credits mini-extra too that made everyone laugh.

But I won't share it, not even in a spoiler thread so someone won't click on it and be spoiled ;)

Aiden

That was really great, the one at the end of the credits!

Wrapped up the movie perfectly and set up the anticipation for the next one!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Ashleebabe on May 04, 2012, 05:57:10 PM

There are TWO scenes btw

Josietta

The very last one we missed but I looked it up and it didn't sound as great as the "pre" credits scene.  Now that one was worth staying for!

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Chris Brady

Getting back to whether or not the movies leading to this was Earth 616 or Ultimates, I have an article here in a local paper that say that the current president of MarvelEntertainment, Kevin Feige, was having issues with how to have it presented, until he hit on Bryan Hitch's rendition of Nick Fury.  The Black Nick Fury, and how the Ultimates brought a more modern edge to the series.

There also a lot of things from this movie that scream Ultimates.  Hawkeye was not one of the original members of the team (not to mention his costume is an almost direct lift from Ultimates.)  Black Widow also wasn't a member of the team from the start.  Nor was she a S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent at the time they formed in 616.  She was in the Ultimates universe.  The aliens not being Skrulls, but Chituri (?), also from Ultimates.

There's enough evidence to me that pretty much says it's mostly Ultimates, but luckily took enough from 616 to make watching the movies palatable.  For which I am incredibly thankful, cuz yeah, Ultimates sucked I terms of characters.

Callie Del Noire

I always felt it wasnt the characters but the stories that made the ultimates the worse of the Ultimate Line.  That and it taking up to 2 years for them to finish some of the runs.

Sabby

Has anyone else had the issues with the 3D I seemed to have? I'm getting concerned since no one I've asked noticed Dx

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sabby on May 05, 2012, 02:02:47 PM
Has anyone else had the issues with the 3D I seemed to have? I'm getting concerned since no one I've asked noticed Dx

This was literally the 3rd 3d movie I've seen..the other two being Thor and Captain America JUST before it.. I didn't have AS MUCH problems with it as the others but I think part of my issue was the theater had 300 people in it so I wasn't in my preferred centerline seat.

I won't go see another if I can help it though.

Rinzler

Quote from: Sabby on May 05, 2012, 02:02:47 PM

Personally, I found the 3D unspectacular but acceptable. In terms of the technical quality, I didn't notice much 'depth-distortion' (which you often get with post-production 3D) in any of the scenes at all. I do remember one scene that had a blurry foreground object which the 3D process clearly had some trouble with. But that's the only snag I recall seeing. Do you think you might have viewed a faulty print?

Sabby

Hmmm... the scene with Loki talking to a Frost Giant, which was really zoomed in for some strange reason, had the entire background blurred out. And with the way it was framed, one half of the screen was a chin and brow so detailed you could see the pores in the skin, and the rest was a fuzzy skyline.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sabby on May 05, 2012, 02:28:03 PM
Hmmm... the scene with Loki talking to a Frost Giant, which was really zoomed in for some strange reason, had the entire background blurred out. And with the way it was framed, one half of the screen was a chin and brow so detailed you could see the pores in the skin, and the rest was a fuzzy skyline.

For me it was the angle. It was looking back across the screen to the opposing side. Points on the far side aren't well resolved. I'm underwhelmed by 3d.. but I wear one pair of glasses already.

Sabby

I was right in the middle, but front row, so had to look up a bit. I was also wearing the 3D glasses over my normal glasses, if that means anything, and to clarify, I've never had issues with 3D. I know some people are just incapable of watching it, but its never bothered me, let alone disorient. Only this gave me trouble, and it seriously looked like a bad torrented copy Dx

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sabby on May 05, 2012, 03:15:27 PM
I was right in the middle, but front row, so had to look up a bit. I was also wearing the 3D glasses over my normal glasses, if that means anything, and to clarify, I've never had issues with 3D. I know some people are just incapable of watching it, but its never bothered me, let alone disorient. Only this gave me trouble, and it seriously looked like a bad torrented copy Dx

Sounds like you were too close. I was seven rows back..the closest I'll get to a screen.

setphaserstofun

3D is a fad that I'm hoping will fade soon as I'm not a fan. I watched it in 2D and don't feel I missed anything because of it.

I think I know what the post-credits scene is but I believe they left it out for the UK screenings.. I'll just have to go see it again to check and/or see! :D

Avis habilis

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

LunarSage

It will be going in my Blu Ray collection for sure.

Sasquatch421

I agree definite buy...Those two scenes with the Hulk had me almost crying I was laughing so hard. Although for some reason I still like Edward Norton's Banner better....

Chris Brady

Saving ten bucks after Comiccon this year.  That's all there is to it.

Inkidu

My Marvel Universe knowledge kind of gets sketchy after you leave Earth. Who was the guy who turns profile to the Other in the mid-credit stinger?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sasquatch421

That would be....

Thanos. At first I thought he was a skrull, but then I saw the purple skin. So maybe an Infinity Gauntlet arc for Avengers 2?

One thing is for sure they will be needing a full roster...

Avis habilis

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on May 11, 2012, 01:55:18 PM
That would be....

Yep. A man who's

in love with Death. Literally. As in he wants to marry the entity, Death. Which explains the big grin when the Chitauri says attacking Earth would be "to court death".

Sasquatch421

If I rember correctly.

Didn't he only succeed in ticking Death off so she barred him from her realm basically making Thanos immortal? Then of course Death fell in love with Deadpool and refused to let him die.... It's been awhile so I could be wrong.

LunarSage

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on May 11, 2012, 03:26:42 PM
If I rember correctly.

Didn't he only succeed in ticking Death off so she barred him from her realm basically making Thanos immortal? Then of course Death fell in love with Deadpool and refused to let him die.... It's been awhile so I could be wrong.

I really don't consider anything having to do with Deadpool or Squirrel Girl to be true canon, personally.

Inkidu

Quote from: LunarSage on May 11, 2012, 03:41:10 PM
I really don't consider anything having to do with Deadpool or Squirrel Girl to be true canon, personally.
Yeah, Deadpool seems to be a little too self aware for any real seriousness at times.

TheGlyphstone

Looking for seriousness in Deadpool is doing it wrong. He's not non-canon, it's the rest of the Marvelverse that's non-canon. ;D

Callie Del Noire

PotAtoe.. POTato.. I just simply despise him. He was okay in the beginning but he's the marvel version of Ambush Bug..

Jag

*just finished watching the movie*

So freaking awesome.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 11, 2012, 05:18:19 PM
PotAtoe.. POTato.. I just simply despise him. He was okay in the beginning but he's the marvel version of Ambush Bug..

Which is why he's so popular.  God, I hate him.

I'll have to wait till Monday to go watch the movie now.

Sabby

Wait... Thanos... isn't he that one with the power to do anything and everything, so he could snap his fingers and make the universe stop existing, but he unconsciously loses on purpose?

...I read a lot of Cracked.

Will

Man, the exact same thing happened when I went to see it.  I'll admit, the scene was SO FUNNY, I fucking loved it.  But the guy sitting right directly behind me apparently thought it was funny enough to blow out a lung and spew soda spittle at the back of my head.  I just... come on, you know?  I'm trying to watch the movie, too.

Awesome movie, though!  Very funny, full of the smarmy, quippy humor that I associate with Marvel.  Most of the Marvelverse movies disappoint me in that regard, but I thought this one was really on point.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Jag

Quote from: Will on May 12, 2012, 04:52:56 PM
Man, the exact same thing happened when I went to see it.  I'll admit, the scene was SO FUNNY, I fucking loved it.  But the guy sitting right directly behind me apparently thought it was funny enough to blow out a lung and spew soda spittle at the back of my head.  I just... come on, you know?  I'm trying to watch the movie, too.

You should have told said man that you would beat him like Hulk did to Loki. :P

Inkidu

What the Hulk said after beating the crap out of Loki
Heh, puny god

EDIT: I looked up that Thanos Cracked article.

Are you joking! That would make a terrible movie villain. I don't care if you're basically the master of time, space, and towels. If you are constantly defeated by yourself, what's the point? Is there more to this "subconscious desire to lose"? I hope so because he'd be beaten by the paper boy, because ha has to lose.

I know that not all comics are the bastion of writing, but if you have a subconscious desire to lose doesn't it make any plan a foregone conclusion? No wonder he can't get in Death's pants...

Will

Quote from: Michi No Sora on May 12, 2012, 04:54:43 PM
You should have told said man that you would beat him like Hulk did to Loki. :P

I considered turning around and saying something, but it would have been at least as disruptive as his laugh, so I spared the other movie-goers the drama. : /
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Will on May 12, 2012, 04:52:56 PM

Awesome movie, though!  Very funny, full of the smarmy, quippy humor that I associate with Marvel.  Most of the Marvelverse movies disappoint me in that regard, but I thought this one was really on point.

Don't feel bad.. EVERYONE missed it..

Wolfy

Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet is all powerful. However, without that he's just a big, strong guy.

That being said, I know what they'll do now.

If they don't go straight to "The Avenger's 2: Electric Buggaloo", they'll make 4-5 more movies.

And, since the Infinity gaunlet is made of five gems, or 'rings', one for each finger (And thumb, of course), each Seperate movie could have a plot based on one of the gems, which are slowly brought together, until The Avenger's 2, when Thanos seizes them all to assemble the infinity gauntlet.

Now, that's all speculation....as is whether or not they'll add on new avengers for the sequel, like Wolverine, Spiderman, Antman, etc, etc.

anais nin

It was awesome! Where can I get a cool  t-shirt?  I hope they don't ruin it with future films and start making them dark and depressing.
"It is not enough to conquer; one must know how to seduce."

LunarSage

Quote from: Wolfy on May 13, 2012, 01:59:57 AM
Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet is all powerful. However, without that he's just a big, strong guy.

Just a big strong guy?

Whoa, hold the phone.

Thanos is virtually indestructible.

Note that's the Silver Surfer unleashing nearly everything he's got on him.

He's also stronger than the Hulk in any circumstance other than Banner being completely off the charts enraged.

Yes, that supports your statement, but Thanos is so much more than that.

He is a mutant Eternal (Eternals being a race of god-like beings created by the cosmic entities known as the Celestials) with more power than any other Eternal has ever possessed.  He used his vast intellect (yes, he's smarter than Dr Doom, Tony Stark or Reed Richards) to even further enhance his own abilities.  He can channel cosmic energy to boost his physical capabilities even further or to fire extremely powerful blasts of pure cosmic energy energy.  He has developed technology that would make Stark crap himself with envy. 

Hell, Thanos outwitted the freaking devil!

The writers put in that "he always defeats himself" crap because without it, there was no reason for him to have lost the Infinity Gauntlet or otherwise be defeated.

That said, I really hope they use Thanos in a way that doesn't involve the Infinity Gauntlet.  That's up there on the cosmic scale in a way that most mo0viegoers just aren't ready for in my opinion.

Inkidu

Quote from: LunarSage on May 13, 2012, 09:40:40 AM
Spoiler'd for Size and Images

Just a big strong guy?

Whoa, hold the phone.

Thanos is virtually indestructible.

Note that's the Silver Surfer unleashing nearly everything he's got on him.

He's also stronger than the Hulk in any circumstance other than Banner being completely off the charts enraged.

Yes, that supports your statement, but Thanos is so much more than that.

He is a mutant Eternal (Eternals being a race of god-like beings created by the cosmic entities known as the Celestials) with more power than any other Eternal has ever possessed.  He used his vast intellect (yes, he's smarter than Dr Doom, Tony Stark or Reed Richards) to even further enhance his own abilities.  He can channel cosmic energy to boost his physical capabilities even further or to fire extremely powerful blasts of pure cosmic energy energy.  He has developed technology that would make Stark crap himself with envy. 

Hell, Thanos outwitted the freaking devil!

The writers put in that "he always defeats himself" crap because without it, there was no reason for him to have lost the Infinity Gauntlet or otherwise be defeated.

That said, I really hope they use Thanos in a way that doesn't involve the Infinity Gauntlet.  That's up there on the cosmic scale in a way that most mo0viegoers just aren't ready for in my opinion.

You realize that makes him a poorly-conceived and stupid bad guy, right? I mean if it's all but futile to defeat the evil guy then there's no point. If the writer's have to add in the most absurd weakness I've ever heard of just to give him a chink then he's a crappy villain. He's a one-dimensional power trip that makes early-era one-dimensional bad guys look like the most complex character ever conceived.

It's not even that he has real character flaws. He's subconsciously wired to lose. I mean if his arrogance or hubris got in the way that's one thing, or if the Avengers had to kidnap Death or stalemate him (like Galactus, and I know I've probably spelled that wrong), but no... he'll always defeat himself. Well, call it a day guys. Let's wrap this up.

I see Avengers 2 falling into the old, "Where do we go from here?" trap. The need to come up with more and more powerful villains is probably what created Thanos in the first place, but eventually you're going to reach a limit.

Oh, and it's not exactly that hard to outsmart the devil of the Marvel universe. ;)

LunarSage

Eh, I still love him.  Dunno why.  Maybe it's the sheer badassery that he brings to the table.  My favorite villains are (in this order) Thanos, Dr Doom and Magneto.

Sabby

Comic books make so much sense! :3

Quote from: Cracked on lame villain weaknessesEarlier we said that Thor is the most powerful superhero in comics, but not the most powerful person -- that's because some of these villains aren't even in the same league. Take Thanos, a guy so insanely powerful that at one point he became the "living embodiment of the universe."

Even when Thanos isn't obliterating entire galaxies at whim, he still has other powers like matter manipulation, time travel, teleportation, telekinesis and, oh, immortality. He's also a super-genius in all fields of science, because what the hell, at this point he might as well be. And yet every time, the good guys manage to defeat him and undo the damage. How come?

The weakness?

"A subconscious desire to lose." Is it just us, or are these getting more and more abstract? Is there a superhero whose weakness is "any action that is described with an adverb?"
Anyway, this means Thanos "arranges for himself to be defeated" because deep down he knows he doesn't deserve to win. It's the same reason he can't maintain an erection.

the revelation does bring his older stories under new light...

Chris Brady

Coolest cover involving Thanos in a while.

Haloriel

Just saw it today (Monday) - went to the theatre in the middle of the day so it was pretty empty.  So awesome in every way!

Decided to wait until there were less people crowding.  O:)

Dragondancer

Okay, that was fun!  ;D

*leaves a few gifties for fellow Loki fans...you know who you are! ^.^ *

Lokipics

*nodnods*

This is by chemicalcurse on DA ~ I thought it was beautifully done!

hehe

Jag

Avengers Tribute - Burn it to the ground (HD)

I think this would have been a better movie music video than the one they did make. Just my opinion.

Diabolus Lupus

Quote from: Wolfy on May 13, 2012, 01:59:57 AM
Now, that's all speculation....as is whether or not they'll add on new avengers for the sequel, like Wolverine, Spiderman, Antman, etc, etc.

I think the chances of them adding certain Avengers to the roster, like any of the mutants or spiderman, will require Disney (who owns Marvel and the Avengers movie rights) to buy up those rights from the other movie studios. Last I knew, Fox owned the mutants which is why they didn't put Quicksilver or Scarlet Witch on the roster, and I believe Sony owns Spider-man rights. As for Antman, I'm not sure why he wasn't in the film, since he was one of the original Avengers.

Chris Brady

Yes, Fox owns everything Mutant related from Marvel, and Sony owns Spiderman and all his villains and cast members.

LunarSage

Sometimes the line gets blurred, though.  Is Hydro-Man a Spider-Man villain or a Fantastic Four villain?  What about the Wizard?

Is the Kingpin a Spider-Man villain or a Daredevil villain?

Not that those first two would likely ever be featured in a feature film, but I'm just saying not all villains 'belong' to a specific hero. 

Inkidu

Quote from: LunarSage on May 16, 2012, 07:45:01 PM
Sometimes the line gets blurred, though.  Is Hydro-Man a Spider-Man villain or a Fantastic Four villain?  What about the Wizard?

Not that those first two would likely ever be featured in a feature film, but I'm just saying not all villains 'belong' to a specific hero.
It depends on who can make the best case for the most instances. Wolverine for example is a Avengers mainstay, but he's best known for being with the X-Men. That what really determines it.

Chris Brady

Quote from: LunarSage on May 16, 2012, 07:45:01 PM

It's pretty much spelled out in their contracts.  If the character name is not listed in the contract, than it's not part of the contract.  If Hydro-Man or Wizard are listed as part of say, Spiderman's list of characters, then they are hands off for other studios.  If not, then it's best case scenario, and careful for lawsuits.

Sabby

This is how I usually approach it. If it's a Spiderman comic book, then everyone in Marvel are off somewhere doing their own thing, but are not important unless mentioned or they make a cameo. If it's a Spiderman movie, assume nothing. What's on screen is what exists until your shown otherwise. Carnage don't show up, he don't exist.

Beorning

I watched the movie last Friday. Hmmm.

I'm kind of undecided. The movie had some great dialogues and scenes, but the plot was kind of simplistic and predictible. There were some good character moments for some of the Avengers (Iron Man, Hulk), but some of character came off as a bit flat (Thor, Hawkeye).

What might've ruined this movie for me? Here in Poland, no cinema shows this movie in 2D. And I found it quite hard to watch in 3D, as a lot of things were dark and hazy. I might be buying this movie on DVD just to appreciate it properly...  :-\

Regarding the hidden scene:

So... Thanos as a sequel villain? This could be... interesting. On the other hand, I kind of hoped for Kang or Ultron.

Chris Brady

Saw it last night.  Was kind of surprised.  It was actually pretty damn good.  Obviously Marvel kept Mr, Whedon on a short leash, which was what I had been hoping for.  As for the 3D, only fight scenes, or 'splash page' scenes were in 3D, which were kind of jarring.  None of the usual forced personalities that Mr. Whedon is famous for (Not to mention that the only 'super girl' was Black Widow, and really, in the 616 Universe, she's near Captain America in physical capacities, and ages slowly due to a Russian super soldier serum.)

Also, 3D hurts my eyes, which might be because I'm still blessed with better than average vision (20/15.  Which means at 20 feet out, I make out the same amount of detail people make at 15.)  So my brain is trying to process an illusion that I know exists, but my eyes are overcompensating for.

Beorning

Quote from: Chris Brady
Not to mention that the only 'super girl' was Black Widow, and really, in the 616 Universe, she's near Captain America in physical capacities, and ages slowly due to a Russian super soldier serum.

She does? It's getting hard to keep track of all the people in MU who have some version of supersoldier / slowed aging enhancements...

BTW. I didn't really like Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow. Not that she's a bad actress or anything, but I've always thought that Natasha is a bit older.

I also must admit that Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury didn't work for me at all. And Robin Szczerbacki as Maria Hill was just surreal...  ;D

Chris Brady

The 'successful super soldiers' from the early 40-50s in Marvel universal 616 are (to my knowledge) Steve Rogers (original Cap. America), Black Widow (She was trained in a 'Red Room' KBG-style training regime) and Nick Fury (which I think was the same tech used on Black Widow.)

John Walker got his powers through something called Power Brokerage, which may also be a super soldier program of some sort, but I don't know much about that Captain America (Who was USAgent, and I think he's back to being Captain America now.)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 20, 2012, 05:36:30 PM
The 'successful super soldiers' from the early 40-50s in Marvel universal 616 are (to my knowledge) Steve Rogers (original Cap. America), Black Widow (She was trained in a 'Red Room' KBG-style training regime) and Nick Fury (which I think was the same tech used on Black Widow.)

John Walker got his powers through something called Power Brokerage, which may also be a super soldier program of some sort, but I don't know much about that Captain America (Who was USAgent, and I think he's back to being Captain America now.)

And (thanks to a 2003 comic) Isiah Bradley, the sole survivor of an attempt to replicate the Steve Rogers success with the formula.

Chris Brady

Was he from the 1940s too?  I honestly don't know that character.  Time to look him up!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 20, 2012, 06:16:27 PM
Was he from the 1940s too?  I honestly don't know that character.  Time to look him up!

The backstory is that one of Erskine's assistants tried to replicate his success using African-americans. Isiah Bradley was the only success out of something like 300 attempts.

Chris Brady

According to the wiki, there were like six, and the became an (ahem) black ops team.  Ok, so now four confirmed Super Soldiers.  Again, these are peak human, not super human.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 20, 2012, 06:28:26 PM
According to the wiki, there were like six, and the became an (ahem) black ops team.  Ok, so now four confirmed Super Soldiers.  Again, these are peak human, not super human.

He's the sole survivor.. they were all killed in combat. Burned out, killed and such.

Chris Brady

I meant six more successes that lasted long enough to be a covert ops team.  They did all die off until Isaiah Bradley was the only one left.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 20, 2012, 06:44:16 PM
I meant six more successes that lasted long enough to be a covert ops team.  They did all die off until Isaiah Bradley was the only one left.

I think one burned out from an overactive adrenal gland and another's heart exploded.. it's been a while since I've skimmed the book.

Chris Brady

TheGlyphstone

Vekseid

Quote from: Cold Heritage on April 27, 2012, 10:25:44 PM

He's signed for Iron Man 3, apparently.

Chris Brady

Really, Veks?  Interesting.

Caitlin

I loved this movie! I'm even thinking of watching it twice in the cinema, but the high price for the ticket is withholding me from doing so. I'm more likely to watch MIB III and buy this movie on DVD.

The only thing I wished that they improved upon was more background story for the legolas guy. The rest of the characters were well worked out and I really loved all the humour. ;D

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 24, 2012, 01:53:47 AM
Really, Veks?  Interesting.
Spoiler'd just in case
]You should know, no one ever dies for real in comic book-land. I think the number of real deaths of highly likeable characters can be counted on two hands. :D

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on May 24, 2012, 07:07:04 AM
Spoiler'd just in case
]You should know, no one ever dies for real in comic book-land. I think the number of real deaths of highly likeable characters can be counted on two hands. :D

Just look at Jean Grey.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Chris Brady

Josietta

Quote from: templixa on May 24, 2012, 04:16:03 AM
I loved this movie! I'm even thinking of watching it twice in the cinema, but the high price for the ticket is withholding me from doing so. I'm more likely to watch MIB III and buy this movie on DVD.

The only thing I wished that they improved upon was more background story for the legolas guy. The rest of the characters were well worked out and I really loved all the humour. ;D

O.O Really... I mean... Really!?   Did you just call Clint Barton... the hottie -Hawkeye-... 'the legolas guy'?!  someone get me a drink.. STAT! *faints*

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Rinzler

Quote from: Vekseid on May 24, 2012, 12:45:59 AM
He's signed for Iron Man 3, apparently.

And furthermore:

Note that it was mentioned that Coulson's ladyfriend was a cellist. I've heard talk on the interwebs that a certain Ms Maximoff has been depicted playing a cello.

Which would mean...

No...surely not.

You think?

Nah...

But then, this is comic books land, where pretty much anything is possible :-D

Chris Brady

Quote from: Josietta on May 24, 2012, 11:08:57 AM
O.O Really... I mean... Really!?   Did you just call Clint Barton... the hottie -Hawkeye-... 'the legolas guy'?!  someone get me a drink.. STAT! *faints*

*Gives Josi a Hawkeye*  you know what's amusing?  The 616 version is almost as good a swordsman as he is an archer.  His first mentor in the circus was called The Swordsman, the second I believe was known as Trickshot.

Jag

Quote from: Josietta on May 24, 2012, 11:08:57 AM

I think there is a pretty nice list of drinks a few posts up. Would you like one of those? ^__^

Josietta

Quote from: Michi No Sora on May 24, 2012, 02:03:53 PM
I think there is a pretty nice list of drinks a few posts up. Would you like one of those? ^__^

*nodnod* I think I need the God of Thunder!  or even the Agent Coulson! ;D

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

SinXAzgard21

Its okay, Clint was called Legolas by Tony so that is what will probably stick now.

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 24, 2012, 03:34:49 PM
Its okay, Clint was called Legolas by Tony so that is what will probably stick now.
That true, he did. That was funny.

Josietta

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 24, 2012, 03:34:49 PM

Yeah but Tony is a drunken asshat most days.....  he reminds me of popular rich jock boys who had nice cars at school and always got drunk and slept around but never committed. >.>

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Aiden

As a drunken asshat, I take offense to thar, how dare you classify me a jock! Tony is,more of a greaser.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Josietta on May 24, 2012, 05:01:55 PM
Yeah but Tony is a drunken asshat most days.....  he reminds me of popular rich jock boys who had nice cars at school and always got drunk and slept around but never committed. >.>

Clint is still Legolas.

Vamfire Havain

The movie was great. It probably would've been even better if it was longer.
My Roleplay Preferences and O/Os:

Embrace the darkness for it will relieve you from the stresses of light

Josietta

I will refuse to acknowledge such! :p

Sides....they played out Ironman all wrong. Tony Stark was not a comic relief character in any marvel comic I read. (mind you I only read 616)

The comedy always went to Spidey.

But for entertainment reasons I suppose -someone- had to fill that hole and we all know Tony is good at filling holes.

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Vamfire Havain

Actually i don't think i like Tony very much in the Avengers. I cant really explain very well why that is my opinion, i think I'd have to watch it again, to better explain it.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Josietta on May 24, 2012, 06:06:29 PM

Sides....they played out Ironman all wrong. Tony Stark was not a comic relief character in any marvel comic I read. (mind you I only read 616)

But for entertainment reasons I suppose -someone- had to fill that hole and we all know Tony is good at filling holes.

Yup like the lack of personality that Clint had.

JDrew Spider

I just want to say they picked the PERFECT person to play Tony Stark. Robert "Drunk" Downey Jr.

Spider Hole
Apologies

Vamfire Havain

I kinda like Robert more in Iron Man movies, just not as much in The Avengers.

JDrew Spider

Of course.. he has to share the spotlight.

Spider Hole
Apologies

Vamfire Havain

and kinda down talk others and instigate.

Exelion

Quote from: Josietta on May 24, 2012, 06:06:29 PM

zing!

Honestly though, they played Ironman not as Tony Stark, but as Robert Downey Jr. in a mech suit. He was told to go be himself for a while, on camera, and make millions.

I think I hate him now.

All joking aside though, they re-wrote Stark to fit Downey's personality. Because snarky, sarcastic, and funny sold a hell of a lot of Iron Man 1 and 2 seats.

My only complaints about character portrayal was that Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Fury himself were virtually ignored. But the other characters more than made up for it. Best movie of the season, if not the year.

Chris Brady

I like this rendition of Tony Stark because he's not some drunk loser.  He's got issues, yes, but...

To be dead honest, he's got all the earmarks of a successful man with ADHD.  :)

I can relate to that.

Jag

I like his little quirks. Like his "don't hand me things". RDJ's Tony most certainly has some issues and some strange ones at that...but hell...did you see:

...the size of that ring on Pepper's finger at the end of the movie that she didn't have earlier?!

Chris Brady

Quote from: Michi No Sora on May 25, 2012, 03:45:52 PM
I like his little quirks. Like his "don't hand me things". RDJ's Tony most certainly has some issues and some strange ones at that...but hell...did you see:

...the size of that ring on Pepper's finger at the end of the movie that she didn't have earlier?!

A lot of that is symptoms are ADHD related.  He's one of the 'lucky ones', the ones that made his ADHD for him.  Most of them end up like me, drop outs.  Or they're addicts (which he is, alcoholic, but luckily it's not crippling, unlike most.)   His hyperfocus (ADHD is not only about distraction, but uneven focus) on a single topic, his jumping from topic to topic...

In Ironman2, the bit with the strawberries is a perfect example of how our memory works.

He IS the superheroic ADHD poster boy. ;D

Jag

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 25, 2012, 07:31:42 PM
A lot of that is symptoms are ADHD related.  He's one of the 'lucky ones', the ones that made his ADHD for him.  Most of them end up like me, drop outs.  Or they're addicts (which he is, alcoholic, but luckily it's not crippling, unlike most.)   His hyperfocus (ADHD is not only about distraction, but uneven focus) on a single topic, his jumping from topic to topic...

In Ironman2, the bit with the strawberries is a perfect example of how our memory works.

Oh I don't doubt anything about his ADHD. I do love his line towards Cap about being a genius billionaire playboy philanthropist.

Oniya

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 25, 2012, 07:31:42 PM

Him and Percy Jackson.  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

ryanmcallister80

In my opinion one of the finest superhero movies of all time.

Chris Brady

You know, I am not sure Maria Hill is such a feminist model.  She's capable, yes, but at the same time she only does what Fury tells her.  So I am confused as to what makes a 'feminist'.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chris Brady on June 12, 2012, 04:09:18 AM
You know, I am not sure Maria Hill is such a feminist model.  She's capable, yes, but at the same time she only does what Fury tells her.  So I am confused as to what makes a 'feminist'.

I think that depends on what version of feminism you're using. By the 'independent woman who makes her own decisions' definition, she's not a feminist model at all. By the 'woman treated exactly the same as a man' metric, she's very feminist.

Shjade

So knowing this is a superhero movie and comics and silly and other such "don't think too hard about this" descriptors, I went to see it with most of my analytical brain at least turned down to "low" (I can never completely turn it off). I was able to ignore or write off most of the little things that made me want to start a sentence with, "But..."

That said, I still had one fairly important question by the end:

If Bruce's "secret" to controlling The Other Guy is "I'm always angry," why is it that during the end battle he seemed to have pretty good friendly fire control but when he hulked out on board the big flying ship he was in pure FFA mode when there was exactly zero significant change shown in him between the two transformations?
◕/◕'s

Avis habilis

My best guess is he hulked out on the Helicarrier because he was injured ("The Other Guy spit it back out."), so he wasn't in control as he would have been if he had decided on his own to go off the chain.

Shjade

Eh, I guess, but he was only "injured" in that he fell down a hole and skinned his knee, more or less. Besides, if the key is "I'm always angry," he didn't go off the chain - he was already there and chose to transform and tear shit up, right?

I'm guessing the difference is that he was actually mad at SHIELD for having hidden stuff about wanting to make uberweapons so he wanted to jack them up, but I dunno, it just seems kinda odd on the surface.

Quote from: Inkidu on May 12, 2012, 05:06:57 PM
Are you joking! That would make a terrible movie villain. I don't care if you're basically the master of time, space, and towels. If you are constantly defeated by yourself, what's the point? Is there more to this "subconscious desire to lose"? I hope so because he'd be beaten by the paper boy, because ha has to lose.

I know that not all comics are the bastion of writing, but if you have a subconscious desire to lose doesn't it make any plan a foregone conclusion? No wonder he can't get in Death's pants...

I believe desiring passage into Death's pants is the motivation for his wanting to lose. I think it's a "wants to die but hasn't found anyone who can kill him yet" problem: he sets out to draw as much lethal attention to himself as possible in the hopes that someone who responds will be able to do the deed. A suicidal immortal, in other words.

If he actually won one of his universe-altering schemes, it would likely make it even harder for him to die, so "winning" would be counter to his goals.

It's contrived, but it makes sense if you allow for twisted logic, which is what dealing with psychopaths is all about, really.
◕/◕'s

Chris Brady

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 12, 2012, 08:20:25 AM
I think that depends on what version of feminism you're using. By the 'independent woman who makes her own decisions' definition, she's not a feminist model at all. By the 'woman treated exactly the same as a man' metric, she's very feminist.

Fair enough, mind you, that does imply that Fury is a great boss for that sort of thing. Seeing as in 616, S.H.I.E.L.D. was his baby to begin with. ;D

Although personally, wanting to follow orders of a person she believes is worth following, is pretty much as feminist as you can get to me.  It wouldn't matter if Fury had been a guy or a gal, in that regard.  But meh.  I loved the film.