Recruiting: Cold Creek (Psychological Horror)

Started by WindVoyager, March 13, 2018, 06:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindVoyager

Game Type: Freeform/GM driven
Recruitment status: OPEN
Character Restrictions: No fantasy creatures
Category: Exotic
Setting: Modern, horror

Welcome to Cold Creek. Its a quiet place to be. At least that's what the faded and worn sign that was barely visible through the thick grey fog stated, the hooded lights hanging on the sign flickering and giving off a sickly yellow glow that barely illuminated the cracking surface of the old sign mounted near the road leading into town. It supposed to be a popular tourist destination based around Toluca Lake. But something doesn't feel right. The weather was supposed to be clear so why was there a thick swirling fog covering everything?

Your instincts tell you to get back int he car, turn around and go the other way.

But you were supposed to met the others at Jacks Inn........ignore the feeling of wrongness you get back in your car and leave the observation deck and head into town.

Game Info

WARNING! This game will feature potentially disturbing content such as serious subjects such as euthanasia, suicide, rape, abuse, or torture. If these things bother you, even in the fictional sense, this is not the game for you. Players do NOT have to participate in any scene that has potentially disturbing content and can ask to be in a separate thread instead.

To encurge a sense of isolation, the players will be split into two small groups and placed in separated areas of Cold Creek.

A simple introduction: Cold Creek is a Silent Hill inspired horror free form sand box centered around a small isolated town called Cold Creek. It's a historical town that was once a popular tourist destination but a series of tragic events and falling number of tourist forced many stores to close, peopled moved out and much of the town became abandoned.

Cold Creek  is ruled by a powerful supernatural force that changes the town randomly into a nightmarish place populated by monsters that are physical representations of fears and guilt.

History

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Built along the shores of Toluca Lake, Cold Creek appears to be a mid-sized town tourist town that is surrounded by wooded hills and rivers.  The lake itself has a long history of drownings, suicides and disappearances including a DUCK watercraft full of tourists and several small watercraft. 

Going back more then four centuries, Cold Creek's history is plentiful and dark. To the local tribes of Native Americans, the Toluca Lake area had been known as "The Place of Silenced Spirits", and was long considered to have a kind of spiritual significance and an air of mysterious power. It was considered to be a holy place, where many rituals were conducted in accordance with the indigenous beliefs.

The late 1600s saw the arrival of settlers who would force the indigenous people from their sacred lands. These settlers would remain in the area until the turn of the century. At the start of the 1700's, an epidemic swept through the surrounding area surrounding Toluca Lake. With a large portion of the populace dead, the settlement was abandoned. It wasn't until the start of the 1800's that resettlement began.

Tragedy struck again when, around 1890, people began to mysteriously vanish from Cold Creek. At the turn of the century, Cold Creek was re-imaged as a tourist destination and has become a destination for fisherman and boaters.

The Town

Cold Creek is a small quiet historical town on Toluca Lake. Its current population is about 8 and dwindling fast,the few people that choose to live in Cold Creek live on the outskirts of town.  In other words Cold Creek is a very dead town.

Although Cold Creek initially appears mostly nondescript nothing could be further than the truth. It has a very long bloody and dark history. The lake itself has a long history of drownings, suicides and disappearances including a DUCK watercraft full of tourists and several small watercraft.

To the local tribes of Native Americans, the Toluca Lake area had been known as "The Place of Silenced Spirits", and was long considered to have a kind of spiritual significance and an air of mysterious power. It was considered to be a holy place, where many rituals were conducted in accordance with the indigenous beliefs.

The late 1600s saw the arrival of settlers who would force the indigenous people from their sacred lands. These settlers would remain in the area until the turn of the century. At the start of the 1700's, an epidemic swept through the surrounding area surrounding Toluca Lake. With a large portion of the populace dead, the settlement was abandoned. It wasn't until the start of the 1800's that resettlement began.

Tragedy struck again when, around 1890, people began to mysteriously vanish from Cold Creek. At the turn of the century, Cold Creek was re-imaged as a tourist destination and has become a destination for fisherman and boaters.

Over the years it became a hot spot for murders, accidents, suicides and disappearances caused a decline in tourists and eventually the two was abandoned.

---------------------------------------------
Game Info

-Cold Creek is isolated. Once past Jacks Inn there is no cell phone reception, no net, no land lines.

-This game will feature mature and potentially disturbing content. 

-The game will be a semi-sand box.

-There are monsters but they are not smut-horror monsters, what ever they are, they are out for blood and fear.

-While a semi sandbox in nature, this game will focus on story arcs throughout the town. These are optional and the players are free to make their own

-This game is open to every one

-Given its long dark history Cold Creek has become a very popular destination for ghost hunters, some of which have vanished over the years.

-Once your character enters Cold Creek, cell phones no longer work and there is no net. There are no working land lines and no radio stations or cable. The exception to this is Jacks Inn though the net and cell phone reception is intermediate at best.

How to arrive

-Take a wrong turn and drive into town.
-Get lost in the woods and find themselves telaported unknowing to Cold Creek
-Something as simple as being transported in a vehicle and waking up to a vehicle devoid of other passengers that has gone off the side of the road
-Ghost Hunters
-someone in your characters family or a friend vanished  or  turned up dead in Cold Creek and your character wants answers
-Your character is on the run from someone or something
-They are looking to start a new life but didn't realize Cold Creek was a dead town (in more then one way)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules

-Respect a players Off\Ons
-Characters have to be twenty or older. This is for the comfort level of all involved
-There is no posting order
-Use the tagging system and use headers
-This game is open to every one
-If you choose to leave the group, please inform the GM and anybody you are RPing with so we're not left hanging
- IC Posts should have substance, no one-liners.
-Communication is key,talk to your fellow players
-This game will contain non-con elements.
-Please try not to keep anybody waiting on a post longer than one week. Real life happens but inform any one you are RPing with that you will be longer
-While not a rule, interaction is not only a good thing, its encouraged. Don't exclude characters because you don't know anything about them or don't want your character to screw them. Go TALK and interact with other characters, it helps build the story

Sex

Yes it will happen but this is a LOW smut game. The focus is on horror, body horror, and the physiological. Not on smut.

F.A.Q

Can I play a monster?

Ye. But remember these monsters are incarnations of fear and guilt, not smut monsters.

What kind of characters suit the game?

Every day people who have some dark past, some dark fear, some connection to Cold Creek. I do not want characters that are flawless and fear-proof.

How many characters can I play?

The current limit is two.

Can I play NPC's?

Yes. I will be providing simple NPCs for players or you can use your own. As a rule, NPCs can be killed off at a moments notice while player run character, you have to have the players permission.

Characters:

No fantasy characters. Both original and fandom based characters from horror games\movies are allowed. You CAN play monsters. The monsters of this world are physical manifestations of fears and nightmares. Think Silent Hill and The Suffering.

-You can have up to three characters, any gender, any sexuality, any race

Player Name:
Character Name:
Appearance:
Personality:
Fears\guilt
offs and ons:

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Jinx

Definitely sounds interesting! Would anyone be interested in characters who know each other in advance?

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Jinx on March 21, 2018, 12:15:57 PM
Definitely sounds interesting! Would anyone be interested in characters who know each other in advance?
How about brothers/cousins?

I'm really interested in this game idea, as I have a great fondness for Silent Hill's special brand of horror. Although I may be ripped off SH2 slightly, I do have a character idea in mind, and the perfect 'fishing lure' that would drag him to the middle of nowhere.

A letter from a dearly departed loved one.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Jinx

Brothers would be cool. If your character is following up on a note from a deceased loved one, I'd be happy to play the one who comes after your character to bring him back home, or who is convinced to tag along against his better judgement. Can work out details in PM.

Cosmo_ac

Ironwolf85

maybe it's because I've been playing dead by daylight lately. but count me in  XD
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Shores

I want to read this, but I might be too chicken to play this.  ;D

Ironwolf85

(seems what the game will need is an overarching villian, someone to tie the players to each other. Usually that's what games like these lack.)

Professor Carter

Player Name: ironwolf85/sheepybot
Character Name: Professor Herman Josef Carter
Orientation: [redacted]
Fandom or original: Fandom
Appearance: seven foot tall man dressed in black or white doctor's coat mechanical apparatus encompassing face and cranium.

Personality: sadistic, scientific, curious. Carter's viciously focused on his objective, whatever that may be. Delving deeply into cold creek and it's surrounding mysteries. Just as he did when human. Sadly his research methods tend to be... excessive. If not downright backwards. Dragging pawns into the mist and worlds of horror. Simply to see what happens, or to prime them for experiments.
Fears\guilt: Carter was behind the disappearances in the 1890's, a leading researcher at the time on human psychology. His electrical experiments on the human brain had his medical licence stripped. Forcing him to settle for a practice in the small backwater town of Cold Creek. When he discovered the town and it's unique history he couldn't keep his nose out of it. Dissapearing into the dark mists in search of answers to the medical and occult questions of his day. His victims were often discovered lobotomized with electrical wires and impulses connected to their brains. Some still "alive" for lack of a better term.
Carter refuses to subjugate himself to the powers of the town, he is an indirect servant, and a violently aggressive one at that. He's not entirely inhuman, but that only makes him worse than the manifestations that haunt the town.
offs and ons: {VERY REDACTED}
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

WindVoyager

We can set the professor up at either Alchemilla Hospital which is intended more for physical medicine and operations or Brookhaven Hospital which is more of a sanitarium are intended more for mental health. It'll be for those who are not bothered by more extreme things and the professor can leave the building when ever he wants to hunt down more victims

Ironwolf85

Brookhaven Hospital would be best as his lair.
I plan for him to be out and about, I figured every series of horror needs a couple more human "monsters" he's not intended for sexual stuff.
More intended and inspired by Dr. killjoy as a boss/narrative villian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-eZV3zToJA

Red Stella

Still looking for victims - I mean players? 

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Narianna

MistressofPen

This might gross the crap out of me....but, it sounds intriguing, too.  I was thinking of a ghost Hunter....maybe part of a crew if others want to to hunt.  And, perhaps she lost her older sister to the lake, but keeps that a secret. 

Will do a character this evening, if that's the proper process.

Narianna

I haven't heard anything back on this. I'm worried it's dead in the water.

MistressofPen

TheHangedOne

Hello, MoP!And Narianna, too. And yeah, sadly, it is. As far as I know, it never even got a proper launch.
Check out my poet tree!

MistressofPen

Hey!  How's it Hangin'?  Hee hee. Hunting stories....any good ones I should beg to join?

Narianna

Quote from: TheHangedMan on June 29, 2018, 05:26:51 AM
Hello, MoP!And Narianna, too. And yeah, sadly, it is. As far as I know, it never even got a proper launch.

:'( :'( :'( Well if you know of any others like this, please lemme know!

TheHangedOne

Quote from: MistressofPen on June 29, 2018, 03:11:16 PM
Hey!  How's it Hangin'?  Hee hee. Hunting stories....any good ones I should beg to join?
I'm still alive. Like a cat, I've got nine lives!  ;D Well... I can think of a few I could try to get you to join, but that's really just because I want to write with you again. And chatter. It's been ages, aye? PM me if you'd like.

Quote from: Narianna on June 29, 2018, 04:04:01 PM
:'( :'( :'( Well if you know of any others like this, please lemme know!
Sorry. To my knowledge, there's currently nothing Silent Hill-ish going on at the moment. Horror stories seem to be a rare find.
Check out my poet tree!

Narianna

WindVoyager

It was semi dead in the water. I've had a lot of issues with the net, a lot of stress, a lot of RP life issues I don't want to burrden any one with that took away a lot of my motivation and time

QuoteHorror stories seem to be a rare find.

Horror based stories are pretty damn hard to find, ones that are not smut based or smut heavy are even harder to find.

Narianna

Quote from: WindVoyager on July 21, 2018, 07:12:19 AM
It was semi dead in the water. I've had a lot of issues with the net, a lot of stress, a lot of RP life issues I don't want to burrden any one with that took away a lot of my motivation and time

Horror based stories are pretty damn hard to find, ones that are not smut based or smut heavy are even harder to find.

I'm very sorry to hear this. If you ever need to talk, you are always welcome to drop me a line.  :-) And if you ever want to resume this one day, I don't think I'd ever say no to some good horror with only token bits of smut...  ;)