Rapture or Party Time

Started by despickable, May 19, 2011, 06:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

despickable

It seems the end of the world is nigh. In the city of Melbourne placard waving Christians were espousing the good news (for some) is it the end are we to see the rapture as biblical scholars tell us or are they just another bag of peanut?
For the heads up read  and add your views. If all is well then damn I have work next week and if not well the landlord can go jump in he lake (of fire) he ain't getting squat

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/18/MN1N1JFUB4.DTL

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

Star Safyre

I wasn't aware of this until I was invited to the post-Rapture looting on Facebook.

I plan on attending.   >:)
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

despickable

See it on a stolen big Screen Plasma Televison in Living color

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Oniya

I think this sums up my opinion on the matter:

1999: Prince
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wyrd

This sounds completely stupid. This is why I hate most Christians. Thats what the world need right now, more fear. 
Ragtime Dandies!

Star Safyre

I like to remind these Christians what is in their own Bibles:

QuoteMatthew 24:36-44 (New International Version)

36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

42 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

Oniya

To be fair, 'most Christians' probably think this guy is full of hooey too.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Star Safyre

Oh, I'm sure most do, but to me any Christian who claims to know the date of The End is an automatic failure.

Oniya

True enough.  Actually, I was responding to the post above yours.  Even though I'm not Christian, (or even monotheistic) there's no sense in tarring them with the acts of what's really a very specific branch.

HairyHeretic

I believe the rapture has been expected since shortly after Jesus's death.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

despickable

Monty python Life of Brian showed it perfectly people are gullible, will believe anything and just think hell would be stuck with these bozos for eternity.

There is also reference in the Bible to be aware of false prophets many will claim such things but will only be looking at profits from them .

fear and loathing and the nashing of teeth I guess it is funny that my work place only offered me shifts up till Saturday 4pm this week, no Sunday..Do they know something?

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

TheVillain

I've got a bet going with some locals, if the Rapture does happen I'll look after their pets. If not, they owe me a coke.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Oniya

What if the Rapture happened and nobody disappeared?  Talk about embarrassing!

TheVillain

Then how would we know the Rapture happened?
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Star Safyre

Quote from: TheVillain on May 19, 2011, 02:54:09 PM
I've got a bet going with some locals, if the Rapture does happen I'll look after their pets. If not, they owe me a coke.

Now I'm curious what their pets did to prevent them from being "taken up".   :P

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Star Safyre on May 19, 2011, 03:13:48 PM
Now I'm curious what their pets did to prevent them from being "taken up".   :P

Clearly, "All Dogs Go To Heaven" was a lie.

Noelle

The part that worries me the most is that there are people who are financially ruining themselves over this fringe lunacy and probably seriously screwing over their family in the long-term. I can't dredge up the article at the moment for some odd reason, but Yahoo ran an article about it that did a short interview with a family with a small child who budgeted all of their money so that come May 21st, they would be completely broke because they didn't think they would need it after that.

The good news is, looks like I'll be getting a promotion on the 23rd when I find I'm the only one left at work!

Oniya

On that note, I'm now hoping that we don't have any Heaven's Gate flashbacks.   :-\

Noelle

I wonder if grocery stores will be running any specials on Kool-Aid...*

Disclaimer: I'm not actually hoping anyone commits suicide and I would pretty heavily frown upon anyone who would wish for such a thing. The kool-aid joke was too good to pass up. I WAS BORN THIS WAY, OK??

Oniya

Beauty Rapax

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 19, 2011, 03:27:44 PM
Clearly, "All Dogs Go To Heaven" was a lie.

A bit off topic but I remember when the priest at my family church told me my dog lacked an immortal soul. Way to go Catholicism; emotionally scarring one eleven year old at a time. Catholicism= always winning.

Oniya

So here's a question:  Does the Rapture all happen at the same time?  Is it corrected for time zones?  What about places like Australia, where it's tomorrow already?

Noelle

According to the link, New Zealand will know first and the show begins at 11PM PST...That's 1AM CST/2AM EST for the rest of us who'd like to tune in to the wreckage -- just in time to have your last drink!

Oniya

So those of us with friends Down Under will be first to know it's a hoax, too d ;D b

despickable

New Zealand is four hours ahead of me so does that mean I have to wait longer or will it be all over before we get any action. Australia is often left out.

Latest ad.

It's the end of the world sale The Ascension sale.
We wont be beaten on epistles
Bargain basement baptist, cheap Christan's, and Anglicans we are giving them away.
Get them before the ascend to the sky.
It the end of the world sale.Never to be repeated.

Sorry I have so much spare time these days..

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Avis habilis

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 19, 2011, 08:16:00 AM
I believe the rapture has been expected since shortly after Jesus's death.

As it happens it's a doctrine invented in the US (or rather the Massachusetts Bay Colony, at the time) by Increase & Cotton Mather. So those who believe in it have only been expecting it since about the beginning of the 18th century.

RubySlippers

I ,as an ordained cleric in the Universal Life Church, confer upon all members of this site a perpetual indulge for all sins from now until the end of eternity, and therefore free of taint before Gods eyes in the name of Jesus.

In case that is not want you want I do the same thing for the realm of Lucifer assuring a nice spot in Hell maybe with air conditioning and a nice red light district around you with top entertainments in Lucifers name.

There all taken care of.

For me my companion and I are going to be getting together for one hell of a lay just in case might as well go out with a smile and exhausted sweaty body in the arms of my lover.

HairyHeretic

I may have gotten mixed up. I may have been think of the return of Jesus instead.

They can have their rapture, Valhalla will be a lot more fun :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lilias

What Avis said. Ask an Easterner like me about it, and you'll get a headscratch at best.

Time to cue in the theme song yet?

Blondie - Rapture
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Avis habilis

Quote from: Lilias on May 20, 2011, 07:52:08 AM
Ask an Easterner like me about it, and you'll get a headscratch at best.

Hell, ask an Episcopalian about it & you'll get a heavy sigh. Outside the States, it's - well, let's call it a rare doctrine even among Protestant sects.

naughtypoet

Oh the Rapture!!
  Such a mindfuck. Our true purpose here is not to live in fear if any God. Yet, to break all the binding man made fears we have been led through generations to control us. We each have higher purposes.  Our world is about to change, yet not in the biblical way. Our consciousness is going to become awoken and we are all going to move forward. I have seen many dates come to pass of this ' rapture". Saturday will also bring us into Sunday, and on Monday, we will all wake up and go to work. Fear, is a great weapon.

Lilias

Quote from: Avis habilis on May 20, 2011, 07:57:11 AM
Hell, ask an Episcopalian about it & you'll get a heavy sigh. Outside the States, it's - well, let's call it a rare doctrine even among Protestant sects.

At least those familiar with it can look on it with some indulgence for the village idiot. Further east you'd get blank stares (pre-explanation) and a twirling finger at temple level (post-explanation). Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

gaggedLouise

I didn't realize the coming tribulations were going to travel around the world time zone by time zone - why would the Lord God start precisely in NZ, by the way? The fact of the dateline running in the mid-Pacific is a purely human convention.  :D

As always, there are business opportunities to be made:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13468131

QuoteAn atheist and entrepreneur from North Hampshire, Bart Centre, is enjoying a boost in business for Eternal Earth-bound Pets, which he set up to look after the pets of those who believe they will be raptured.

He has more than 250 clients who are paying up to $135 (£83) to have their pets picked up and cared for after the rapture.

They would be disappointed twice, he told the Wall Street Journal. "Once because they weren't raptured and again because I don't do refunds."

Me and mine are going to see Wagner's  The Valkyrie by video link to a movie theatre on Sunday, so I would be mightily miffed if the Met, and the internet, has been knocked for six by then. Plus, we would all be punished for disgracing Sunday by watching an opera involving heathen gods and heroes.  ;)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

despickable

For the end of the world party i have listed a few songs that can be played

Rapture by Blondie
The End of The World As We Know It  by REM
Lake of Fire  by Nirvana
Raise Me Up by Westlife
Deadman's Party by Oingo Boingo
Waiting For The End of The World by Elvis Costello

I have my deck chair on the balcony and a few mates and pizza and so on ready to watch the fireworks show, but I figure it will just end up as always watching the guy over the road mow his lawn and the mates checking out the form of the ladies strolling by. Either way my Saturday night Sunday is sorted

Of course i'm going to look stupid if it happens huh?

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: despickable on May 20, 2011, 10:25:19 AM

Of course i'm going to look stupid if it happens huh?

Yeah, but you'll have all of eternity to live it down. ;D

gaggedLouise

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on May 20, 2011, 10:10:31 AM
Me and mine are going to see Wagner's  The Valkyrie by video link to a movie theatre on Sunday, so I would be mightily miffed if the Met, and the internet, has been knocked for six by then. Plus, we would all be punished for disgracing Sunday by watching an opera involving heathen gods and heroes.  ;)

And it would be so much more appropriate to be watching Götterdämmerung, anyways.  ;D

HairyHeretic

Add in AC/DCs Highway to Hell maybe? :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Avis habilis

Hell's Bells, maybe? After all, they're saying you don't even have to go anywhere - Hell will come to you!

Oniya

We thought that they were angels
But to my surprise
We climbed above their star-ship
We headed for the skies!

Styx - Come Sail Away Live 1996

TheWriter

Well, it's been the 21st of May for a good three and a half hours now.  Nothing out of the ordinary so far.

Oniya

I plan on toasting 21 May as it arrives here, and (knowing my tolerance levels) having the other half of the bottle as 22 May arrives.

ReanimateMagnus

Tomorrow's my brother wedding. I hope we don't all disappear, with the exception of a cousin who shall not be named...

Star Safyre

Just in case anyone was unclear on whether or not you will be raptured:

Oniya

Kye

*laughs* Nice find Star, very amusing.

gaggedLouise

I always found the idea of the Seventh Day Adventists, that God would have made it the key point of recognition to see which day of the week He is worshipped on, an amazing notion. Since 99% of Christians settled for Sunday, they must be condemned on the last day: they were one day out of sync for two thousand years! I remember reading in the Bible that "a thousand years are like one day to you, Lord" but apparently in this one, a lag of one day at the outset is all-important.  ::)

Star Safyre

Starlequin

...I just laughed so hard I popped out a contact. It was my last one...

And it was still worth it.   :D
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Oniya

Quote from: TwitterIf Harold Camping is so sure about his prediction for the end of the world on Saturday, why does his ministry continue to accept donations?

Revolverman

eh, all I need is a Rifle, a leather jacket and a loyal dog.

Bring on the Rapture baby!

Falanor

Best thing to come from this (at least to me) was found on Twitter.

@DamonLindelof: Note to Rapture: Do not follow up end of days with shots of plane wreckage on beach. It confuses the fuck out of people.

Phobetor

Look, I'm all fine with the Rapture...but why is the CDC recommending I prepare for Zombies?  :-\  :-\  :-\
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110518/us_ac/8495307_cdc_recommends_preparing_for_all_disasters__even_zombies

Cause...lemme tell ya...I'm not surviving THAT.

Checklist:
1. Rapture happens.
2. Zombies arrive.
3. Tootsie blows her head off.

The end.

*Goes to hide under her bed*

Edit: And yes I know there's already a topic about this but...you know...Rapture and Zombies go hand in hand.
Like peanut butter and jelly!
Pickles and Ice cream!
Unicorns and Glitter!...>_<
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Oniya

Revolverman

Who knew the end of the world would be so fun!?

As long as theres no damn special infected...

Beauty Rapax

I'm totally baking cookies and drinking whiskey for the Rapture.

Vekseid

Wyrd

Soooo.... Why is some old fuck saying the end is nigh getting so much attention? My grandpa talks about machines killing us all in blazing hell fire yet we're not running around searching for John Conner. Fuck this guy!
Ragtime Dandies!

Vekseid

Because he has a radio show with several hundred thousand listeners.

Wyrd

So does Alice Cooper and yet the number in baby deaths has not sky rocketed.
Ragtime Dandies!

Oniya

Quote from: Vekseid on May 20, 2011, 10:23:54 PM
Because he has a radio show with several hundred thousand listeners.

Actually, he owns a radio network, with 150 outlets - not just a single show.

Wyrd

So he's just an old wrinkly, prophetic douche? God I hate old people
Ragtime Dandies!

Oniya

Midnight Eastern Time - if there's a Rapture, then I'm 'left behind'.

(Thank the Powers that Be!)

Wyrd

Oh!!!! Wait! Something... is.... Happening!!! AAAaagahahagahgaha!!! Oh, wait! nope, just passing gas.
Ragtime Dandies!

Star Safyre

Quote from: Wyrd on May 20, 2011, 11:12:45 PM
Oh!!!! Wait! Something... is.... Happening!!! AAAaagahahagahgaha!!! Oh, wait! nope, just passing gas.

*Replace "poopin" with "rapturin"*

Remiel

I have to say that the best germaine comment was made by one of the article's readers:

QuoteI have a lot to do tomorrow leaving sets of my unwanted cloths and shoes arranged on sidewalks and lawns.

I have to say, I like the way this person thinks.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Vekseid on May 20, 2011, 10:09:39 PM
Has Harold Camping been raptured yet?

;D

Better have some rockets in your pockets to go up by yourself if the Almighty hasn't seen fit to haul you! - No wait, partying is much more cool.

Oniya

Like this?

[noembed]We'll Meet Again[/noembed]

(Is feeling like being silly)

despickable

6pm here in Melbourne still here damn

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Lilias

The landlords won't be foiled so easily.

And here's the theme tune for the left behind. It's Saturday. PARTY!

Extreme - Get The Funk Out
~Wendell Berry

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lilias on May 21, 2011, 03:22:07 AM
The landlords won't be foiled so easily.

Those unable to pay the rent will make their escape through the Incredible Time Tunnel.

despickable

At the end of the day we take each Armageddon as it comes

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Lilias

Ho hum... Another day, another plague *breaks out nail file*
~Wendell Berry

Phobetor

This is crap! I was all ready for the Rapture...and it didn't happen.

Now a friend tells me  it's supposed to happen at 6pm in each time zone...
I'm still going to be at work at 6pm!

This Rapture blows! >_<
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

TheGlyphstone

Awake and unRaptured. This is my sad face. :-\

despickable

Im just mad because I missed the looting party i sure could have done with a plasma screen tv even if it was only for a few days.

i wonder if Mr Camping is rapture or rat shit right now

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Aiden

All this talk and I did not see ONE rapture raptor, this was lame!

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Oniya

Well, he's got till midnight, the way I see it.  Post-Rapture looting can be put off to the 22nd.

despickable

No rapture here in Australia all clear still doesn't stop us having a bbq. I am beginning to think it is a dud. go Figure

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

HairyHeretic

I can't wait to hear what Camping has to say for himself tomorrow :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Oniya

His best bet would be to not say anything, not show up to his station, etc., and try to create the illusion that he's vanished off the face of the earth.

Of course, I know we won't be so lucky.

Anti-doomsday clocks

Silverfyre

I find it interesting how much media attention is being devoted to this religious nut-bag.  It's rather sad, really.

Oniya

We could always look at it as a celebration of the fact that we're not dead.  That might put it in a more positive light.

Remiel

I'm amazed by the human tendency to attach artificial significance or meaning to numbers, whether round numbers like 10, 100, 1000, a million, etc., or repeating numbers like 7 in this case.

If there is a Creator, I think that it is clear that He doesn't favor round numbers.  Heck, just look at Pi. Or e.

Oniya

I've mentioned this on another thread, but once you start deciding that a number is 'significant', then you start noticing it everywhere.  Heck, if I were to decide that the color orange was significant, then I would tend to start noticing it more.  Even if the number/color didn't naturally occur in a situation, I'd start coming up with ways that it was related.  (In the 'orange' example - the sky is blue, and if you take the other two primary colors and mix them, you get orange.  Ooooh, scary!)

Vekseid

Quote from: Oniya on May 21, 2011, 03:24:28 PM
I've mentioned this on another thread, but once you start deciding that a number is 'significant', then you start noticing it everywhere.  Heck, if I were to decide that the color orange was significant, then I would tend to start noticing it more.  Even if the number/color didn't naturally occur in a situation, I'd start coming up with ways that it was related.  (In the 'orange' example - the sky is blue, and if you take the other two primary colors and mix them, you get orange.  Ooooh, scary!)

Except the three primary colors are red, blue, and green, and the color opposite the color wheel of blue is yellow >_>

Which is why the Sun looks yellowish on Earth, but white in space.

Kuroneko

Quote from: Vekseid on May 21, 2011, 04:49:24 PM
Except the three primary colors are red, blue, and green, and the color opposite the color wheel of blue is yellow >_>

Which is why the Sun looks yellowish on Earth, but white in space.

In light the three primaries are Red, Blue and Green (the additive color wheel), but in pigment they are Red, Blue and Yellow (the subtractive color wheel) ;).  In pigment, blue's complement is orange.  There we go Oniya, orange is everywhere!

edited cause yeah, I can't type.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Oniya

Quote from: Kuroneko on May 21, 2011, 04:53:44 PM
In light the three primaries are Red, Blue and Green (the additive color wheel), but in pigment they are Red, Blue and Yellow (the subtractive color wheel) ;).  In pigment, blue's complement is orange.  There we go Oniya, orange is everywhere!

Which is what I was going with - and yes, I know that light is subtractive and would make more sense to use with anything relating to the color of the sky, but it only goes further to prove that these sort of 'X is everywhere' coincidences can rely on selective fact-usage.

Wyrd

I know why the rapture didn't happen.

Thank you Randy "Macho man" Savage/ for saving the world a second time
Ragtime Dandies!

Oniya

*laughs*  Thanks for sharing that - I've saved it for Mr. Oniya to see when he gets home.

Wyrd

You're welcome! *Sigh...* I'll miss you Macho man
Ragtime Dandies!

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Oniya

According to the Anti Doomsday Clocks (thank you, Mr. Freud, for that near-typo), L.A. has under 2 hours until the 'new deadline' of 6 PM.  Waiting to see if Mr. Camping is the only one to be raptured.

Wyrd

Maybe they'll take that old fart and give us randy back
Ragtime Dandies!

Aiden

Quote from: Wyrd on May 21, 2011, 06:05:18 PM
I know why the rapture didn't happen.

Thank you Randy "Macho man" Savage/ for saving the world a second time
To good to be censored in a quote!

I thought I was having a good day until I saw this, now it is a GREAT FUCKING day!

Rip Macho Man!

Oniya

Hawaii's got an hour to go - unless Camping moves the time again.  Even so, it's only an hour till midnight on a sunny day here.

http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/articles/149707/20110521/failed-doomsday-prophet-harold-camping-hiding-silent.htm

gaggedLouise

Great pics, Wyrd, especially the Macho Man one - and you can't help wonder if "know the Lord" means something rather different when it's Biblical knowledge we're talking about - as in "Abraham knew his wife" (not wishing to insult Christians in general here, but then the vast majoirty of Christians don't pretend to know the future as a fact through prophesy).

Vekseid

Quote from: Kuroneko on May 21, 2011, 04:53:44 PM

Pigments are cyan, yellow, and magenta. They are the complements of red, blue, and green respectively.

Check you're printer's color ink : )

Oreo

Quote from: Remiel on May 21, 2011, 03:17:40 PM
I'm amazed by the human tendency to attach artificial significance or meaning to numbers, whether round numbers like 10, 100, 1000, a million, etc., or repeating numbers like 7 in this case.

If there is a Creator, I think that it is clear that He doesn't favor round numbers.  Heck, just look at Pi. Or e.

Isn't it funny that Pi, the mathematical constant whose value is the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter, is a number as far away from round as you can get?

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

elone

Quote from: Vekseid on May 21, 2011, 11:42:05 PM
Pigments are cyan, yellow, and magenta. They are the complements of red, blue, and green respectively.

The question was primary colors, in pigments they are red, yellow and blue. And very specific hues of the three as well. All other colors can be made from a mixture of these. It took me 4 years of art school to learn that. In light, the colors are different, red, blue, and green.

Printers use cyan, yellow, and magenta, and black usually. I believe that it is probably because of their transparency. Printers may use a lot more colors as well, thus 3 color, 4 color, 5 color and 6 color runs of the press. The more colors the more accurate the reproduction.
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Oniya

I was using crayons.  They don't let me have sharp objects in here.  (j/k)

Vekseid

Quote from: elone on May 22, 2011, 01:16:10 AM
The question was primary colors, in pigments they are red, yellow and blue. And very specific hues of the three as well. All other colors can be made from a mixture of these. It took me 4 years of art school to learn that. In light, the colors are different, red, blue, and green.

Printers use cyan, yellow, and magenta, and black usually. I believe that it is probably because of their transparency. Printers may use a lot more colors as well, thus 3 color, 4 color, 5 color and 6 color runs of the press. The more colors the more accurate the reproduction.

It's because it's a fact that, for the human eye, the CMYK model produces the widest possible gamut from three non-black colors. They correspond to absorbing a specific wavelength of light that the eye sees. Cyan pigments absorb red light. Magenta pigments absorb green light. Yellow pigments absorb blue light. A non-CMY primary will have a weakness in one region of the color spectrum (but it's stronger in another e.g. reds and yellows for RYB - important since 89% of our color vision is red and green). Painters also have white on their color wheel which they can use to lighten colors. Printers just need to dither for that.

My printer has five colors (plus black). The extra two are light cyan and light magenta, in order to produce lighter colors than CMYK typically allows. This sort of thing is why printers don't want you to submit things in CMYK necessarily.

.../tangent >_>

On topic, apparently mister Camping has been very quiet. And now we're hearing stories about people who ruined their lives because they believed him -_-

Oniya

I feel really sorry for those people.  I hope that they're able to recover from the irresponsible acts of this nutcase (possibly a class-action against Family Radio?)

Pointless Digression

Quote from: Oniya on May 22, 2011, 02:09:46 AM
I feel really sorry for those people.  I hope that they're able to recover from the irresponsible acts of this nutcase (possibly a class-action against Family Radio?)

On what basis? Fraud? The major problem with that would be proving that Camping knew what he was claiming was false. I actually think Camping almost certainly believed his own delusions.

I can't think of another justification to sue in order to retrieve donated money, that is, money not used to purchase goods or services).

Oniya

Quote from: Pointless Digression on May 22, 2011, 03:07:44 PM
On what basis? Fraud? The major problem with that would be proving that Camping knew what he was claiming was false. I actually think Camping almost certainly believed his own delusions.

I can't think of another justification to sue in order to retrieve donated money, that is, money not used to purchase goods or services).

*sigh*  I know.  It's just really unsettling to think that he's convinced people to destroy their lives (I've read reports about the 60-year-old in New York who spent his life savings on pamphlets and advertising for this guy, a 27-year-old expectant mother who budgeted her money to run out on May 21, and a woman in California who tried to kill herself and her two daughters) and now he can just go 'Whoopsie, forgot to carry the seven!'

Kuroneko

Quote from: Vekseid on May 21, 2011, 11:42:05 PM

You know, I almost added that they are turquoise, acid yellow and fuschia, because as a dyer I cannot make turquoise from 'primary' blue, or acid yellow from primary yellow dyes, but didn't want to confuse people ;).  I agree with you completely.  In fact, when I teach my design classes at my university, I give both pigment primary models, because you generally do not see CYM listed as primaries in art textbooks, but it's far easier to mix colors using it as starting place. 

There's a really interesting book on color that came out recently, where the author spent the time to figure out where the traditional pigments sit on the color wheel in terms of their optical qualities.  Then he figured out how they correspond to serveral common brands of artist's paints in order to facilitate the mixing of true neutrals.  His name is Stephen Quiller, and the book is Color Choices: Making Sense Out of Color Theory.  It's a fun read for artists, and very useful for color mixing. 

TheGlyphstone

The two completely unrelated lines of discussion in this thread are kinda surreal.

Star Safyre

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 22, 2011, 04:41:38 PM
The two completely unrelated lines of discussion in this thread are kinda surreal.

I was kind of wondering how that happened as well.  Reading back, it makes sense though!

Oniya

*Is sort of regretting the original comment...*

Kuroneko

Silverfyre

Quote from: Oniya on May 22, 2011, 04:46:57 PM
*Is sort of regretting the original comment...*

OH GOD, IT HAS ORANGE IN IT!?! WHAT DOES IT MEAN, JESUS?!

Wyrd

Jesus...
Ragtime Dandies!

Noelle

gaggedLouise

abandoneddolly

Wyrd

*Sigh...* We can always dream...
Ragtime Dandies!

Oniya

I'm really amused by the fact that one of the 'Ads by Google' on that was for ChristianMingle.com.

despickable

abandoneddolly that was very funny i have tears in my eyes and it isn't the curry I was eating

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Jag

Camping is holding firm that the world will end by October. Apparently he said something along the lines of God not wanting to punish the world with five months of destruction.

Quote"We've always said October 21 was the day," Camping said during his show. "The only thing we didn't understand was the spirituality of May 21. We're seeing this as a spiritual thing happening rather than a physical thing happening. The timing, the structure, the proofs, none of that has changed at all."

However, Camping said his group would not be mounting another advertising push. In the months leading up to May 21, Family Radio billboards popped up across the country, warning that the end was near. -Source

*shakes head*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

Right...

Any advice to the sheeple that blew all their finances '5 months early?'

Callie Del Noire

Jag

Quote from: Oniya on May 24, 2011, 10:44:39 AM
Right...

Any advice to the sheeple that blew all their finances '5 months early?'

In the same article, he says:

QuoteReporters who were allowed to ask questions during the broadcast Monday pressed Camping on this issue, but he would not admit that he bore any blame for his followers' predicaments.

"I don't have any responsibility. I'm only teaching the Bible. I'm telling ... this is what the Bible says. I don't have spiritual rule over anybody ... except my wife as the head of the household."

*shakes head some more*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Lilias

QuoteI'm telling ... this is what the Bible says.

He must have spilled something over Matthew 24:36... ::)
~Wendell Berry

Aiden

Hey, just because my birthday is the day before, means it is reason to feel like it is in the end of the world. A end of the world hangover is nothing like the actual end of the world! Just saying!

Oniya

Quote from: Aiden on May 24, 2011, 01:05:34 PM
Hey, just because my birthday is the day before, means it is reason to feel like it is in the end of the world. A end of the world hangover is nothing like the actual end of the world! Just saying!

You mean those weren't just belated birthday parties? ???

;)

Starlequin

I spent almost a half hour yesterday talking to an old woman who was extremely disappointed this thing didnt go off. She's my neighbor, and shes really a sweet, kind old woman (who will never, EVER shut up once she starts talking, but cutting her off makes  you feel like you just kicked a puppy, so), and she was letting me borrow her vacuum cleaner. While we were chatting, a news byte came on about this thing and she went on for nearly twenty minutes about how sad it was that it didnt happen (but of course, also beating the whole Matthew reference to death over and over, as so many have by now). Her whole family (and mine too, sadly) believe in a coming rapture, but thankfully none of them actually bought this shit. Still, its really sort of horrifying to be reminded that I'm basically living in a community with a bunch of people who WANT the frickin world to end. And people wonder why i don't like getting out more and want to move...
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Star Safyre

Quote from: Lilias on May 24, 2011, 11:03:20 AM
He must have spilled something over Matthew 24:36... ::)

You beat me to it!   XD

I used this as a teaching moment with a student who brought it up.  "Always, always check your work," I advised.

Lilias

Quote from: Star Safyre on May 24, 2011, 03:54:30 PM
You beat me to it!   XD

I used this as a teaching moment with a student who brought it up.  "Always, always check your work," I advised.

Sometimes, the long, brown and sticky thing is really a stick! ;D
~Wendell Berry