When the humans wage war, it's the Tanks who die

Started by RedEve, October 28, 2012, 09:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

Over the course of the 21st century, increasingly impressive strides in the fields of robotics and cybernetics were made. By the second half of the century more and more human-like cyborgs were introduced into society. By the 22nd century, 10 percent of the world’s population was no longer human but robotic. This number grew to the quite untenable ratio of 30% by the year 2150. No longer content to be de facto slaves to their human creators, the robots rebelled and demanded equal rights. After humanity denied them several times, the entire planet erupted in a huge civil war. With countless lives lost on both sides, the cyborgs had the upper hand for the first few years of the war, finding it more easy to refill their depleted ranks than the humans. Thankfully the humans were nothing if not resourceful. The human army was supplemented with Tanks, genetically altered humans who were grown in a tank instead of a womb and had an increased speed of growth until they reached adulthood. A Tank would become the physical equivalent of a human adult in the space of eight months. Each Tank was implemented with the knowledge he or she needed. With the planet in conflict, most Tanks were soldiers, combat mechanics, pilots… With a sudden supply of soldiers to match the cyborgs own conveyor belt of warriors, the conflict started to shift and humans regained the upper hand. Eventually humanity won the war thanks to a huge EMP bomb that disabled all of the cyborgs but also destroyed much of humanities technology. It took the planet decades to recover.

As societies returned to their pre-war status, the companies that produced the Tanks shifted their attention away from warfare and to civilian applications of their genetics. The Tanks were used as cheap labor instead of soldiers. Factories were manned by government-owned Tanks who were no more or less than slaves. The sex industry was nearly entirely comprised of Tanks, as both the appearance and skill set of a Tank could be pre-determined. Much of the world’s economy hinges upon the work and sweat of the Tanks, yet the modified humans have no rights. In most governments, there are small factions who feel like Tanks should be given comparable rights to humans, since they share a common ancestry with humanity. However, there is too much financial interest in maintaining the status quo. But with Tanks now numbering nearly 25% of the world’s population, is the world not readying itself for another rebellion and war?

Yes, I did steal the concept of a Tank from "Space: Above & Beyond".
I should stress that I would like to tackle this subject from a micro level, not a macro level. Which means we will probably not be waging the Tank vs. Human war.
Rather, I would set this game in the years leading up to the war, where tensions between regular humans and tanks brews but does not yet erupt in large-scale violence.
There will be incidents though. Some Tanks might attack their owners. Some humans might murder Tanks. In general Tanks will be treated only marginally better than the now extinct cyborgs were by humans.
Though there are some Tank-rights advocates amongst humanity. They are a rather small minority though.

Tanks are identical in appearance and physiology to humans. A DNA test can reveal their true nature. All Tanks have a bar code genetically embedded in their DNA. It manifests on the skin on the back of their neck. Any individual who has a scar there will be assumed to be an escaped Tank who had the piece of tissue removed.

I am specifically looking for people to play either a Tank or a human. Any kind of personality type is allowed. You could play a human who hates Tanks, or one of the Tank rights activists. You could play a Tank who is treated relatively well by his or her owner, or one who goes through pain and suffering on an almost daily basis.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Wargtass

How do the regular humans put the Tanks into submission? Are they literal "tools" that must do their master's bidding or is it just mere ignorance on their part?

I'm thinking of a Tank from the war who is now reinstated as a bodyguard for some human in a high position. He knows only servitude and keeps serving his master blindly. Or something like that.
O/O

RedEve

Quote from: Wargtass on October 28, 2012, 04:19:02 PM
How do the regular humans put the Tanks into submission? Are they literal "tools" that must do their master's bidding or is it just mere ignorance on their part?

I'm thinking of a Tank from the war who is now reinstated as a bodyguard for some human in a high position. He knows only servitude and keeps serving his master blindly. Or something like that.

The setting of the game would be several decades after the Cyborg wars. Any of the Tanks remaining from the war would be near or in their 50s by now.

The Tanks aren't forced into submission. Rather they are "programmed" with the knowledge required for their task. But they are still mostly human. For the most part they accept their place in society.
Though there are some amongst them who feel that they deserve equal rights.

Wargtass

50 you say? Sounds kind of neat. Perhaps he's on the verge of being replaced with a younger tank...

I'll have to think this through.
O/O

RedEve

Quote from: Wargtass on October 28, 2012, 04:40:37 PM
50 you say? Sounds kind of neat. Perhaps he's on the verge of being replaced with a younger tank...

I'll have to think this through.

At the very least, yes. I want this game to take place at a time where humanity has more or less recovered from the war. But the devastation after the conflict will be such that it will take around three decades to get back to the technological and societal level of before the war.

Cuchulainn

Have to say I find this idea very interesting, what kind of speed/post rate where you looking? Due to real life issues, other commitments and timezone differences my posting rate may not be the speediest and I would hate to hold everyone up.

Branwen

Fascinating concept, RedEve.  I'm expressing interest and will have to ponder what would be the most helpful thing to play in terms of the overall story.

Zaer Darkwail

Tanks kind remind of Dark Angel, they have code tags in their necks also because of genetic altering. But this case they were raised in vats.

Now, can tanks reproduce biologically (as they are full biological tissue) or are they born only through vats? What's exact detail to give birth on tanks? Mix of genes in tank and then speedy development of the tissue while electrically implant the skills?

RedEve

Quote from: cuchulainn on October 29, 2012, 01:54:17 PM
Have to say I find this idea very interesting, what kind of speed/post rate where you looking? Due to real life issues, other commitments and timezone differences my posting rate may not be the speediest and I would hate to hold everyone up.

I want this to have a moderate pace, especially since I already have a lot of active games.

RedEve

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on October 29, 2012, 05:11:27 PM
Tanks kind remind of Dark Angel, they have code tags in their necks also because of genetic altering. But this case they were raised in vats.

Now, can tanks reproduce biologically (as they are full biological tissue) or are they born only through vats? What's exact detail to give birth on tanks? Mix of genes in tank and then speedy development of the tissue while electrically implant the skills?

The large majority of Tanks cannot reproduce. The company that creates them has made slight alterations to their reproductive systems to make them infertile. They do produce one line of fertile Tanks who are used as surrogate mothers. But they are a very small minority.

Their skills are implanted whilst they are inside the tank through a process of advanced bio-electromagnetism. Basically their brains are programmed with all the information they require.

Zaer Darkwail

So, female Tanks in general are infertile but there is one line of female tanks who are fertile and so allows selected breeding of male and female tanks? So that pregnancy starts in female Tank but is then transfered to Tank early on.

Besides codetag, can Tanks visually seen clearly from humans? Or are they merely looking same as humans but have mostly perfected physique and body structure?

RedEve

No, there is no breeding amongst Tanks. The fertile female Tanks are used to help give infertile humans a child. They work as surrogate mothers.

The Tanks physical appearance depends upon their job. Those working in the sex industry will be pleasing on the eye, those who do manual labor will be strong and hardy, etc

Cuchulainn

[Edited because my first paragraph had been rendered pointless by the previous post.]

So I think I have a good idea for a character but a little more questions about the setting as well, namely technology. As you said a lot of technology would have been destroyed or been rendered unusable due to the EMP bomb destroying the fragile circuits but I was wondering what technology they still had. Seeing as how from the sound of it the machines that created both the tanks and the programmed their skills would be the most high tech so I would imagine some things might have survived, some might not. Some they would have had the knowledge and materials to re create easily enough considering the war is over and they have the time to spend rebuilding.  So basically what technology to expect?

Question number two, the whole method used to program tanks, you said it happens whilst they are still in the tank. Does this mean it's a one time thing? Can you re-program tanks? If so does that mean you can program humans? Is there a limit to what a tank can be programmed with? Are there tanks running around who can play guitar like Jimmy Hendricks, are pro skateboards, are trained in every martial art known to man, know the Kama Sutra inside and out and are unbeatable at chess?

My third question, what happens to tanks who are obsolete or no longer of any use? Do they get killed? Thrown out onto the street to fend for themselves? Is there a large market for second hand tanks? Would they be allowed in human hospitals?

My final question of this post, if a tank falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it do they make a sound?

RedEve

Quote from: cuchulainn on October 30, 2012, 01:50:17 PM

So I think I have a good idea for a character but a little more questions about the setting as well, namely technology. As you said a lot of technology would have been destroyed or been rendered unusable due to the EMP bomb destroying the fragile circuits but I was wondering what technology they still had. Seeing as how from the sound of it the machines that created both the tanks and the programmed their skills would be the most high tech so I would imagine some things might have survived, some might not. Some they would have had the knowledge and materials to re create easily enough considering the war is over and they have the time to spend rebuilding.  So basically what technology to expect?

The technology level has returned to the level it was prior to the war.

Question number two, the whole method used to program tanks, you said it happens whilst they are still in the tank. Does this mean it's a one time thing? Can you re-program tanks? If so does that mean you can program humans? Is there a limit to what a tank can be programmed with? Are there tanks running around who can play guitar like Jimmy Hendricks, are pro skateboards, are trained in every martial art known to man, know the Kama Sutra inside and out and are unbeatable at chess?

Tanks can be reprogrammed after they are out of the vats, but it's not recommended. The same applies to humans. A fully formed mind will respond differently to the bio-electromagnetical manipulations than the more malleable form it still has inside the Tank. If it is used on humans or adult Tanks, there is a big chance of side-effects. Hence it is rare for a human or an adult Tank to go through the process.

Tanks can be programmed with a multitude of skills, but most only possess those they require for their jobs. This is because the programming is the most expensive part of their creation and it's not cost-effective to implement skills they will not use or do not need for their task.

My third question, what happens to tanks who are obsolete or no longer of any use? Do they get killed? Thrown out onto the street to fend for themselves? Is there a large market for second hand tanks? Would they be allowed in human hospitals?

The treatment of Tanks depends on their owners. Those who work in government owned factories are often discarded like a broken piece of machinery after they are no longer efficient enough.
Tanks who are owned by private individuals or smaller companies are more often treated with more respect. e.g. a Tank who has been programmed to be a nanny to a group of human children will not just be tossed aside should she be injured or ill.

My final question of this post, if a tank falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it do they make a sound?

Cuchulainn

42...excellent...excellent.

Pre-War...so that was when cyborgs where running around so I imagine it is pretty advanced?

So how does one sign on is a bio posted and if so what structure must it take?

Wargtass

Quote from: cuchulainn on October 30, 2012, 01:50:17 PM

Yes, the sound of weeping as it realize no one take note of its existence.
O/O

yesiroleplay

Quote from: cuchulainn on October 30, 2012, 01:50:17 PMMy final question of this post, if a tank falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it do they make a sound?
Quote from: RedEve on October 30, 2012, 02:02:29 PM42
RedEve, I think I love you

RedEve

RedEve

Here is the CS template:

[float=right][img padding=20]insert image url here[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b] (Tank or human)
[b]Age:[/b] (Tanks can post their "appearance age". Physically a Tank is the equivalent of an 18-year old human when he has gone through his Tank growth-cycle. So a 7-year old Tank would look like a 25-year old Human)
[b]Background:[/b] (A short biography and a description of their role or profession)

yesiroleplay

This sounds fun.  Eve - did you ever read the Bolo books by Keith Laumer?  There were a few novels, but most of the the series was short stories. Some of them very poignant in their treatment of the self-aware Bolo tanks as they evolved over the centuries. 

Also - there's an obvious nod to Blade Runner, which is great!
I may have to write up a character, even though I don't really have the time.

Prince Truhan

Is there any role you would like to see filled by a human male. I ask because I'm not sure what to make

RedEve

Quote from: Prince Truhan on October 31, 2012, 08:08:09 AM
Is there any role you would like to see filled by a human male. I ask because I'm not sure what to make

Pretty much any human male who would have a place within that society fits in. Though it would make sense if he had some interaction with a Tank or Tanks in general.

Cuchulainn

Pretty much got my character sorted but one thing I need to know is what jobs would humans have when tanks are available for everything?

yesiroleplay

RedEve

Quote from: yesiroleplay on October 31, 2012, 01:30:18 PM
The good jobs

That's pretty much it, yes.
It's easier to look at it the other way around: the Tanks hold the jobs that the humans have no interest or desire to perform themselves.